Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 513

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I understand Peterson is from the Northwest, so maybe that's why he's so interested in the UW job.
    I think you also have to wonder if he has taken Boise as far as they can go without being in a BCS conference.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I don't think Peterson passed on USC; he didn't get the offer and was allowed to withdraw his name. I bet he would have taken it, and I bet he would have taken the Oregon job if offered when Kelly left. I bet he would take the UW job, but its play money.
    Pats himself on the back, and collects his play money.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I think you also have to wonder if he has taken Boise as far as they can go without being in a BCS conference.
    Like I said, realignment has not improved college football. I think Petersen was a Boise lifer in the old system, and I love that that type of coach could exist and be successful. It's what we hoped we had in Kyle when we were in the MWC. But Petersen recognizes that under the new rules with new money those days are gone. It's really a shame.

    I hope he is successful at UW, and I hope Boise manages to find someone who will get them back to BCS games. Of all schools, none were more wronged by realignment.

  4. #34
    Well that whole carousel worked out pretty well for Washington.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Well that whole carousel worked out pretty well for Washington.
    And they get to collect $1.5 million from USC, more if USC has to pay the assistants buyout. Sark and Peterson are going to be compared for a long time, like D Will and CP coming into the league at the same time, or Alex and Aaron Rodgers. Pat Haden's legacy will rest on whether he hired the right guy.

  6. #36
    I'm here to eat crow. I was certain given the jobs that Peterson had turned down that he was a Boise St lifer. Truth be told, I'm still puzzled by this in context of that, but there you go.

    For the first time in my life I was wrong. There was another time when I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken.

    My mortal enemy Scratch will never let me live this down.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Pats himself on the back, and collects his play money.
    I now view you as the alpha male and will look to you for direction before each post I make.

    You were absolutely correct and I was wrong. This is going to change the whole fight dynamic between me and my wife.

  8. #38
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,380
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I understand Peterson is from the Northwest, so maybe that's why he's so interested in the UW job.
    I was wrong. He was raised in SoCal but spent his adult life, pre-Boise, in the Northwest.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I now view you as the alpha male and will look to you for direction before each post I make.

    You were absolutely correct and I was wrong. This is going to change the whole fight dynamic between me and my wife.
    First time for everything. I will now have to quit while I am ahead, or not as far behind as I was.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mormon Mecca (North)
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Well that whole carousel worked out pretty well for Washington.
    Looking at it from this moment in time it does.

    Ask Colorado how they felt when they first hired Dan Hawkins... and then again, a few years later.

    I'm not saying Petersen is Hawkins, just that there are very few absolute guarantees.

  11. #41
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,119
    I really like Peterson. He's kicked our a$$, he's won on big stages -- and he appeared to have done it all with class, on and off the field.

  12. #42
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    951
    I think Utah dodged a bullet, I'd much rather have Chris Petersen in the North than the South.

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I think Utah dodged a bullet, I'd much rather have Chris Petersen in the North than the South.
    It is funny, but there are some really good coaches in the Pac12, so I don't know if it matters much which division he is in.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    And they get to collect $1.5 million from USC, more if USC has to pay the assistants buyout. Sark and Peterson are going to be compared for a long time, like D Will and CP coming into the league at the same time, or Alex and Aaron Rodgers. Pat Haden's legacy will rest on whether he hired the right guy.
    I wouldn't mind a few UW/USC championship games down the road, on the occasional off-year that doesn't have us in there, that is.

  15. #45
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,380
    I will be mildly curious to see how Peterson assembles his staff. I really don't like Kyle's inbred approach, and I am wondering if Peterson's will be similar.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  16. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I will be mildly curious to see how Peterson assembles his staff. I really don't like Kyle's inbred approach, and I am wondering if Peterson's will be similar.
    I think he should grab whichever of Kyle's friends we don't already have. Then we can see which head coach is better at evaluating the coaching prospects of Kyle's friends.

    But really, Kyle's friend Christiensen is not a bad choice for OC.

  17. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think he should grab whichever of Kyle's friends we don't already have. Then we can see which head coach is better at evaluating the coaching prospects of Kyle's friends.

    But really, Kyle's friend Christiensen is not a bad choice for OC.
    according to the Pac 12 blog, there is going to be a fight over Wilcox. Both USC and Wash want him, and his buyout may price him out of USC. He could also be a candidate to replace Peterson at BSU. Does Sark then tap Sitake?

  18. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    according to the Pac 12 blog, there is going to be a fight over Wilcox. Both USC and Wash want him, and his buyout may price him out of USC. He could also be a candidate to replace Peterson at BSU. Does Sark then tap Sitake?
    Why would Sark not keep Pendergast? He's the one thing that worked well in LA this year.

  19. #49
    So, in 4 years, at least one of these coaches will be have been fired: Shaw, Herlich, Petersen, Leach, Riley, Dykes. My guess is that Dykes and Riley are gone, plus one more who I can't decide on.

  20. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, in 4 years, at least one of these coaches will be have been fired: Shaw, Herlich, Petersen, Leach, Riley, Dykes. My guess is that Dykes and Riley are gone, plus one more who I can't decide on.
    Dykes for sure. I don't think we know if Helfrich can coach yet and expectations there are astronomical right now, so he could have tough sledding if he has some mere 8-9 win seasons. It will be interesting to see how well Petersen does in a BCS conference compared to past BSU coaches who made the jump. I see a lot of similarities between Riley at OSU and Whitt at Utah. He's their guy and they've stuck with him through some rough patches and it has worked out so far--it will be interesting to see how long that lasts if WSU overtakes OSU in the North division pecking order (which I think is a distinct possibility) and assuming UO, UW and Stanford hold their position. It will be fun to watch.

  21. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was wrong. He was raised in SoCal but spent his adult life, pre-Boise, in the Northwest.
    Negatory. Pete is from Yuba City, which is most decidedly NoCal and arguably part of the PNW.

  22. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, in 4 years, at least one of these coaches will be have been fired: Shaw, Herlich, Petersen, Leach, Riley, Dykes. My guess is that Dykes and Riley are gone, plus one more who I can't decide on.
    You're forgetting Kyle, unless you're taking the optimist point of view he can win 7-8 games at least once in the next two years.

  23. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I will be mildly curious to see how Peterson assembles his staff. I really don't like Kyle's inbred approach, and I am wondering if Peterson's will be similar.
    He'll take 1-2 from Boise, keep some from UW. Wilcox, as mentioned, is a significant domino that could affect several schools.

  24. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You're forgetting Kyle, unless you're taking the optimist point of view he can win 7-8 games at least once in the next two years.
    Oh, I was just looking at the North. They are all good coaches, but they can't all be successful in a zero-sum game.

    In the South, the seat is hottest for Kyle right now.

  25. #55
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,380

    Off with their heads! - Coaching hirings and firings

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Negatory. Pete is from Yuba City, which is most decidedly NoCal and arguably part of the PNW.
    My sole source is Dan Patrick, who said Peterson grew up in SoCal. Happy to concede the point to you. It's true, for someone from that area Southern California would be a pretty foreign place.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  26. #56
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,763
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    according to the Pac 12 blog, there is going to be a fight over Wilcox. Both USC and Wash want him, and his buyout may price him out of USC. He could also be a candidate to replace Peterson at BSU. Does Sark then tap Sitake?
    Tosh Lupoi. From what I understand, this guy is an incredible recruiter.

    This report says that Wilcox and Lupoi are proving difficult to extract out of UW.

    http://larrybrownsports.com/college-...uts-usc/212929

  27. #57
    Wyoming hires the guy from North Dakota. Good move. If he's successful, he can replace Dykes in 2 years.

  28. #58
    With the success that Fresno State has had the last two seasons, does Schramm get looks from bigger programs, or does he have to prove it without Carr first?

  29. #59
    Wake hires Bowling Green coach Dave Clawson.

    Not sure there will be an opening for Matt Wells this year. He'll have to hope the Aggies are good again next season to find his ticket out of Logan.

  30. #60
    Lya reporting via Twitter that Weber State has hired Jay Hill to be their next head coach. How big of an impact does this have on the Utah program?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •