Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Did anyone think DE or BJ would be the long term solution at OC?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    BJ was presented to everyone as the long term solution. Whittingham told us how he interviewed so many people and that it became clear that the best candidate for the job was already in his program. Talked about him being a superstar in the coaching ranks. He was sold to us as the savior and our long term OC. Obviously, Dennis Erickson was not considered a long term option.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    It it is amazing the amour of credibility the Sugar Bowl won has given Whit.
    Yeah, well, success tends to do that. Seriously? He finished #2 in the nation and won COY. That should give anyone some credibility.

The worst thing he's done was hire Norm Chow. That hire has set us back 5+ years offensively. And it seemed like a good hire to pretty much everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Also, a little desperation never hurt anyone. What would've been more disturbing would be doing nothing on the staff.

I agree that things needed to be done with the staff, however, the right moves are not being made.

There was only one right move for Whittingham to do with the offensive staff. Go to Dennis Erickson, admit that he doesn't know what the fuck he is going on the offensive side of the ball (with schemes, players, and coaching hires) and tell Erickson that he had full control over schemes, players, and coaching hires on the offensive side of the ball. Let the coach with years of experience and success in offensive fix the problem and Whittingham could focus on the administrative side of being a head coach and on figuring out how to fix a defense that has been getting consistently worse.

I'm with Hot Lunch, it is clear that Whittingham is not the guy. I wanted him to be the guy, but it just isn't happening.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Lya tweeted that DE was surprised by this move and is not commenting. That is something to worry about. I like this a lot more if it's a situation of DE wanted to get back to a position group one last time before retiring.

I hope that isn't true as Kyle would have just burned a bunch of bridges and good will with his staff. I realize the buck stops with Kyle, but that seems like something you discuss with your current OC(s) if you plan on demoting him/them.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Jury is not still out on Shaw and BJ. BJ is a terrible QB coach and was a terrible offensive coordinator. He was a bad hire for both positions. Shaw is a terrible coach and terrible hire.
    You pull the trigger too quickly. Shaw has been here for only one year, and his position group did pretty well. BJ has not been dealt anything close to a full deck. He has had QB injury issues all over the place and has been forced to work with Wynn, Hays and Schultz. You are expecting a lot if you think he's going to transform those guys into Heisman contenders. We can't say definitively that he can't coach.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

BJ was presented to everyone as the long term solution. Whittingham told us how he interviewed so many people and that it became clear that the best candidate for the job was already in his program. Talked about him being a superstar in the coaching ranks. He was sold to us as the savior and our long term OC. Obviously, Dennis Erickson was not considered a long term option.
    BJ was simply not ready, and he still isn't. It appears he is an effective recruiter, so I'm fine with having him around the program. Coaching? We'll see. He was hired in part because things broke down with guys like Steve Fairchild, if I'm remembering correctly.

Keep in mind fans of teams in the jello belt always want former stars to coach. Look at the Cougs and Doman and even our fans wanting Scalley to take over some day.

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I do think people are overreacting a bit. We can argue on whether this is a smart move or not, but if this move alone moves the dial on whether you think Kyle is fit to be our head coach, you have a quick trigger.

I still think Kyle is our guy. I think this is a weird decision. I hope, however, that Christensen can figure out a way to keep our QBs healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

I wonder if this signals that Travis Wilson isn't coming back next year. If we are starting over at QB, might as well move on to a new OC.
    Trust me when I say no one knows if Travis can or can't play. That won't be learned until February when he's reevaluated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I hope that isn't true as Kyle would have just burned a bunch of bridges and good will with his staff. I realize the buck stops with Kyle, but that seems like something you discuss with your current OC(s) if you plan on demoting him/them.
    If he blindsided Erickson with this, I agree that is disturbing and hard to understand.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

There was only one right move for Whittingham to do with the offensive staff. Go to Dennis Erickson, admit that he doesn't know what the fuck he is going on the offensive side of the ball (with schemes, players, and coaching hires) and tell Erickson that he had full control over schemes, players, and coaching hires on the offensive side of the ball.
    My guess is DE would just keep the staff as is, unless there's someone he doesn't get along with. He's 200 years old, he hasn't been a successful coach in a long time, he hasn't run a modern offense in a long time, and he's not trying to climb the ladder to the top. I'm glad he's here, and I was completely sold on him as our OC for the next few years, but he's not the kind who wants to deal with replacing everyone and spending 365 days of the year out on the recruiting trail. Maybe I've misread him, but I think he'd keep things more or less as is.

I'm not a program insider. You guys tell me. Does Kyle really get all that involved in the offense?

My guess is DE would just keep the staff as is, unless there's someone he doesn't get along with. He's 200 years old, he hasn't been a successful coach in a long time, he hasn't run a modern offense in a long time, and he's not trying to climb the ladder to the top. I'm glad he's here, and I was completely sold on him as our OC for the next few years, but he's not the kind who wants to deal with replacing everyone and spending 365 days of the year out on the recruiting trail. Maybe I've misread him, but I think he'd keep things more or less as is.

I'm not a program insider. You guys tell me. Does Kyle really get all that involved in the offense?
    Didn't DE recently tweet that Roderick was one of the better minds he's worked with?

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

You pull the trigger too quickly. Shaw has been here for only one year, and his position group did pretty well. BJ has not been dealt anything close to a full deck. He has had QB injury issues all over the place and has been forced to work with Wynn, Hays and Schultz. You are expecting a lot if you think he's going to transform those guys into Heisman contenders. We can't say definitively that he can't coach.
    He has had bad luck, I'll give him that, but he has absolutely sucked. He wasn't qualified for the position when he was hired and has looked like a deer in headlights the whole time. He should have been shown the door this offseason.

I don't know what games you are watching saying that our DBs played well this year.
    --fjm.com

Yeah, well, success tends to do that. Seriously? He finished #2 in the nation and won COY. That should give anyone some credibility.

The worst thing he's done was hire Norm Chow. That hire has set us back 5+ years offensively. And it seemed like a good hire to pretty much everyone.
    That was one year. Then you also have schools like Auburn, they fired their head coach 2 years after winning a national championship. Look at where they are now.

That was one year. Then you also have schools like Auburn, they fired their head coach 2 years after winning a national championship. Look at where they are now.
    Yeah, but that cost them a lot to buy that many players.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If he blindsided Erickson with this, I agree that is disturbing and hard to understand.
    Pardon me for being skeptical just because Lya is the one reporting this.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Trust me when I say no one knows if Travis can or can't play. That won't be learned until February when he's reevaluated.
    He is being reevaluated but I don't think anybody expects his condition to be better.

There are examples on both sides. Look at programs stuck in a recurring nightmare where they fire their HC every 3-5 years and never get anywhere. Look at programs that have stuck it out through some bad years and been rewarded. The problem with all the examples on both sides is that every program and every situation is completely unique in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Yeah, we need to wait to hear how this went down.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I'm waiting for confirmation before getting upset. The operative word is "if" Kyle did that.

--Yeats

"As one of the pioneers of the spread offense, Dave Christensen is an innovative coach and was the architect of one of the top offenses in the country during his time at Missouri," Whittingham said in a release. "We feel fortunate he was available and interested in joining our program, and he will be a great fit with our staff. We want an explosive offense and that's been a trademark of Dave's throughout his career as an offensive coordinator."
    http://m.trib.com/sports/college/wyo...ile_touch=true

--Yeats

There are examples on both sides. Look at programs stuck in a recurring nightmare where they fire their HC every 3-5 years and never get anywhere. Look at programs that have stuck it out through some bad years and been rewarded. The problem with all the examples on both sides is that every program and every situation is completely unique in many ways.
    Yep, we will just go ahead and hire a new OC every year and see how that works out.

You guys do realize that it is shah and not shaw, right?

Yep, we will just go ahead and hire a new OC every year and see how that works out.
    I'm sure there are lots of good examples of programs having success with hiring 7 OCs in 7 years.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm waiting for confirmation before getting upset. The operative word is "if" Kyle did that.
    With his dealings with assistant coaches over the past 7 years, I'm not sure why anyone would give him the benefit of the doubt on this.
    --fjm.com

the most amazing thing about this news is that it makes me realizethat it has been 5 years since joe glenn flipped the bird. man time flies

With his dealings with assistant coaches over the past 7 years, I'm not sure why anyone would give him the benefit of the doubt on this.
    This right here. kyle has given no hope in regards to his handling of assistants. especially on the offensive side.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He is being reevaluated but I don't think anybody expects his condition to be better.
    That's pure and unfounded speculation on your part or anyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    That's pure and unfounded speculation on your part or anyone else's.
    nope.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    nope.
    Unless you're the neurosurgeon nope