Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Argh. He was a difference maker for us. Best player on the offense.
    Sounds like he signed w Oakland along with Karl Williams. Tenny signs with SD.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    He may yet get picked or make a roster as a FA, but I think it is safe to say that Jake Murphy got some bad advice.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    Just my opinion but I don't think Jake would have been able to raise his stock all that much by staying. A productive season would have been off-set by being another year older (and his age was already a detriment).

Also, he already has his degree.

It sucks for Utah but if I put myself in Jake's shoes I have little to gain from staying one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Just my opinion but I don't think Jake would have been able to raise his stock all that much by staying. A productive season would have been off-set by being another year older (and his age was already a detriment).

Also, he already has his degree.

It sucks for Utah but if I put myself in Jake's shoes I have little to gain from staying one more year.
    I agree UBlender. Jake had three things going against him that aren't going to change: age, height (6'3") and lack of speed. He would have helped the Utes had he returned, but I don't think he would have helped himself. If he can make the Raiders now, good for him.

Best of luck to all of the Utes who were either drafted, or who will be in the for the battle of their lives to stick on a roster!

I do not have an NFL team, so I just follow the former Utes and cheer for them. It is always a challenge to find out who is where come kickoff. I guess Brandon Gurney and the Des News endless lists actually have a purpose after all.

I don't buy this. If Jake had stayed healthy, turned in a 1000 yard, all-conference season as a captain, he gets drafted and in a decent spot. He was Wilson's favorite target, and that kind of season was possible.

I think he made a bad decision. Even if he doesn't improve his stock, he at least gets another year of playing football. He may never play a down of meaningful football again (obviously, we hope he does). Plus, he gets another year of being a Ute and being a leader. He gets to take the team to a bowl. He gets to work on a graduate degree for free. He gets another year of making memories. Students in general are often too anxious to move on to the next phase, not realizing that they are in the best phase.

Anyway, I already pull for the Chargers and the Chiefs for Utah related reasons. Might as well add the Raiders to the list and be the most confused Broncos fan in the world.
    Agreed [except for the Broncos part].

I think he made a bad decision. Even if he doesn't improve his stock, he at least gets another year of playing football. He may never play a down of meaningful football again (obviously, we hope he does). Plus, he gets another year of being a Ute and being a leader. He gets to take the team to a bowl. He gets to work on a graduate degree for free. He gets another year of making memories. Students in general are often too anxious to move on to the next phase, not realizing that they are in the best phase.
    You also have to realize that he is married with a kid. It is really hard to stick around making little to no money having fun playing football as you go deeper into debt trying to provide for your family. I agree that for most young people they are in a great place playing college football, but once you marry and have kids, your priorities change and you have to make adult decisions based on your family needs. He made the best decision for him and his family. I hope that he impresses his coaches and makes some decent coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    You also have to realize that he is married with a kid. It is really hard to stick around making little to no money having fun playing football as you go deeper into debt trying to provide for your family. I agree that for most young people they are in a great place playing college football, but once you marry and have kids, your priorities change and you have to make adult decisions based on your family needs. He made the best decision for him and his family. I hope that he impresses his coaches and makes some decent coin.
    I think in this situation, both sides are right. I believe he probably made the right decision for his family right now, especially if he can make a roster and earn a paycheck in the NFL. However, I also believe he made that decision based on some bad advice. My assumption here too is that as the son of Dale Murphy there wasn't much of financial need, but maybe that is not fair. As others have said though, I hope he makes it.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.