Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Media (fka Mormonism)

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I never know where to post some stuff, but I guy I went to law school with and who has been a general authority was excommunicated.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/0...rly-3-decades/

Hamula was a quiet unassuming guy who, like myself, didn't quite seem to fit the BYU law student mold. We didn't dress like we worked at IBM. It's funny, there have been 5 guys from my graduating class become GA's. Two of them, including Hamula, were nice guys. The other three were smart, but kind of dicks. They were all at the top of the class and seemed to be in a competition with 4 or 5 others to see who could get the most interviews when law firms would come to school. They were always chosen because of their class standing. They had no intention of going anywhere but where they were from, so they were simply taking interview slots from people who were really interested. I'm sure this probably happened at other schools as well, but it seemed prevalent at the BYU.
    I think he was on the short list for being appointed one of the 12 last time around. They went out of their way to say he wasn't excommunicated for apostacy. So it appears he likely had a relationship out of wedlock with another woman (or guy).

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I think he was on the short list for being appointed one of the 12 last time around. They went out of their way to say he wasn't excommunicated for apostacy. So it appears he likely had a relationship out of wedlock with another woman (or guy).
    Very sad. Must be devastating for him and his family, and for everyone who had to be involved.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Very sad. Must be devastating for him and his family, and for everyone who had to be involved.
    Agree. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    They were all at the top of the class and seemed to be in a competition with 4 or 5 others to see who could get the most interviews when law firms would come to school. They were always chosen because of their class standing. They had no intention of going anywhere but where they were from, so they were simply taking interview slots from people who were really interested. I'm sure this probably happened at other schools as well, but it seemed prevalent at the BYU.
    BYU law students are well known for doing that. It ends up hurting the school. When we used to interview there we always looked for some convincing reason that the student we were interviewing were truly interested in coming to LA and weren't just looking for a fun recruiting trip or an L.A. summer. We, and other firms, had been burned too many times. For whatever reason that was not a problem at the U. law school.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

looking at his list of former callings made me exhausted: Bishop, Stake Pres, Mission Pres, Seventy. That guy deserves a couple years off and then maybe get back into it as the ward magazine subscription person.

..... For whatever reason that was not a problem at the U. law school.

You know the reason. Do I have to say it out loud?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    You know the reason. Do I have to say it out loud?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Agree. Very sad.
    And for it to be public is even more sad as there will be all kinds of gossip and unfounded speculation that will tarnish the family for good. I really don't like that aspect of church "punishment". Why not just announce his release and move on, why even make any comment about why or not why? Baffling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    And for it to be public is even more sad as there will be all kinds of gossip and unfounded speculation that will tarnish the family for good. I really don't like that aspect of church "punishment". Why not just announce his release and move on, why even make any comment about why or not why? Baffling to me.
    The church generally doesn't just release people from the first quorum of the seventy. If they did that, the speculation would be even more rampant.

I don't know if this is where this should go...but the Church released an updated statement about the situation in Charlottesville: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...ville-virginia

It has been called to our attention that there are some among the various pro-white and white supremacy communities who assert that the Church is neutral toward or in support of their views. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the New Testament, Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself” (Matthew 22:37-39). The Book of Mormon teaches “all are alike unto God” (2 Nephi 26:33).

White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a “white culture” or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I don't know if this is where this should go...but the Church released an updated statement about the situation in Charlottesville: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/articl...ville-virginia
    "White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a 'white culture' or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church."

Boom!

--Yeats

"White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a 'white culture' or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church."

Boom!
    It's been interesting to watch the reaction to this of some of the church's more infamous members on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It's been interesting to watch the reaction to this of some of the church's more infamous members on Twitter.
    I don't follow any of them. Are they happy or sad or just angry?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    A sampling.

Wife.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    She said the Church turned its back on its white members today.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

A sampling.
    Goodness. Not a fan of this lady.

A sampling.

Wife.JPG
    She has said a lot of awful stuff and continually doubles down on her racism. Remarkable that she thinks the church is being racist towards white people.

A couple of days ago, she tweeted an image of those torch carrying buffoons in Charlottesville and put above it 'Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven'.

She also had a series of tweets where she talked about being in an open relationship with her husband when they were first married and how he encouraged her to date another woman and so she did, but then she found Christ or something.

Shes clearly off her rocker, or she is a simply other worldly level troll. Either way, she will be called into a CDC soon enough, I think. (I have no doubt that that update was a torpedo aimed right at her. She is the most prominent of these people and them using White Culture, a term she has practically made her personal motto was no accident).

Boom!
    The church is turning their backs on the Nephites.

Mormonism in the Media

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    That whole white and delightsome thing is so 19th century.

--Yeats

That whole white and delightsome thing is so 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    That is especially funny since the Nephites were presumably semitic.

Mormonism in the Media

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That is especially funny since the Nephites were presumably semitic.
    But they looked like light-skinned Swedes, were probably blue-eyed, and were built like NFL linebackers. Except for the 2000 sons of Helaman, who were builtlike linebackers, but had dark skin and hair.

(Note: I believe the stories, but I don't think the Arnold Friburg paintings are necessarily accurate.)

--Yeats

If Freiburg was right, Nephi had an extremely long arm. Look it goes underneath his mom's arm and in front of Lehi holding the liahona:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    If Freiburg was right, Nephi had an extremely long arm. Look it goes underneath his mom's arm and in front of Lehi holding the liahona:

That is clearly lehi's arm

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

Where is Pleasant Grove's arm?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Where is Pleasant Grove's arm?

Next to the Spanish fork

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

Nephi with the earliest evidence of a mullet,

and with that headband he would have never played for Jerry Sloan

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    .....and with that headband he would have never played for Jerry Sloan

Reminds me of possibly my favorite one line zinger in all of moviedom.....

"You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" -- Major League 1989
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

We are going to just have to agree to disagree.