Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Media (fka Mormonism)

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Not that we needed any reminders, but it really brought home to me how corporate the church is.
    While I don't really fault the church for that, that board room is a loooong ways from a group of ex-fishermen huddling in a house in 1st century Capernaum.
    It definitely has a corporate structure. When I am in the Church Office Building at 47 East So. Temple I am struck by the similarity to a law firm or accounting firm. (The Q12 members all have corner offices.) Still, can you think of a church of comparable or larger size that does not have a corporate feel? We Mormons are small fry compared to the Baptists and especially the Catholics.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It definitely has a corporate structure. When I am in the Church Office Building at 47 East So. Temple I am struck by the similarity to a law firm or accounting firm. (The Q12 members all have corner offices.) Still, can you think of a church of comparable or larger size that does not have a corporate feel? We Mormons are small fry compared to the Baptists and especially the Catholics.
    No, you're right. It has to be that way for an organization of that size.
    It just struck me - that's all.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Speaking of corporations, and not to hijack this thread, but one thing to get me to turn off from a church lesson is to have a powerpoint. I know people love them, but I get a gut full of these constantly at work (and 90% of people use them as a speaking crutch versus an enhancement). When the projector turns on my mind turns off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Speaking of corporations, and not to hijack this thread, but one thing to get me to turn off from a church lesson is to have a powerpoint. I know people love them, but I get a gut full of these constantly at work (and 90% of people use them as a speaking crutch versus an enhancement). When the projector turns on my mind turns off.
    One of the things I enjoy about my occasional Gospel Doctrine teaching stints is that I know there is no way on earth I am going to use Power Point. Ever.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am proud of lots of things. I am proud of not watching boring meetings on Youtube. I am proud of never having seen Titanic or any Jane Austen adaptation or Saturday's Warrior. I am proud that I had the sense to dislike Peter Breinholdt when all the other Mormons at the U loved him. I am proud that I ate two cheesesteaks in Philly this weekend.

Maybe I am most proud of the fact that I have never made a power point document.
    Two? That's child's play. Once on a long weekend in Philly, I ate nothing but cheesesteaks: one for breakfast, one for lunch, one for dinner, repeat for two-and-a-half days. It was glorious!

Mormonism in the Media

So in the spirit of revelations that really don't reveal anything new... a story demonstrating my lifelong commitment to 'dick moves' as NWUF might put it.

Long long ago, at the height of Peter Breinholt popularity I found myself sitting at a wedding table with a few friends (including my best friend), some women we knew somewhat loosely, and Peter Brienholt.

Like Sancho, I had a deep dislike of this man's music which was amplified by every college-age Mormon woman I knew being deeply in love with him to the point where they would harmonize with his music while driving in their cars. If you've endured this you know it is a fate worse than death.

It was an intolerable time for all of America really.

So, Peter Breinholt being oblivious to my hatred sat there enjoying his dinner while the women fawned over him and I plotted a way to embarrass him, proving once and for all to the women there that I was undateable. I mentally poured through witty remarks, sarcasm, direct snubbing, table tipping and more. But the right moment never presented itself.

Somehow in the conversation at the table people started talking about what they did for work or were majoring in. As everyone went around Peter remained silent, presumably confident that we all knew what he did.

So after everyone had said what they are doing but Peter, innocently my best friend finally says to him, "So what do you do for work?" Immediately the women fawning over him start up, "Oh my gosh! He is the best musician ever, I can't believe you don't know him!!! The second he says his name you'll know it!!!"

So my friend says, "Oh. (Short pause as he waits for Peter to say his name, who doesn't) So what is your name?" Peter very solemnly says, "Peter. Brienholt." Apparently disgusted my friend didn't recognize him.

My buddy kind of smiles meekly and says in only the way you can when you don't know someone but are pretending you do, "Peter Brienholt. Yes, of course I've heard of you... sorry I didn't recognize you..." and looks at me and half shrugs like, "Who the hell is that?"

The fawning women begin chirping in disgust again while Peter was inadvertently put in his place far better than I could have ever orchestrated myself.

I don't know why I cared at the time, and it all seems very petty (yet still funny) now. I'm sure Peter is the nicest human being to have ever reached Mormon fame, and totally undeserving of all of this. A veritable LA Ute of the music world. It is also likely I read into his reactions far more than I should have, but a story I enjoy nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 10-03-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Lol. Yes, yes they do. Keep in mind your own perceptions are warped by decades of fixation on a subject.
    They sound like Greek Gods--venal, ambitious, biased, mean, bored, angry, thoroughly human.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

So in the spirit of revelations that really don't reveal anything new... a story demonstrating my lifelong commitment to 'dick moves' as NWUF might put it.

Long long ago, at the height of Peter Breinholt popularity I found myself sitting at a wedding table with a few friends (including my best friend), some women we knew somewhat loosely, and Peter Brienholt.

Like Sancho, I had a deep dislike of this man's music which was amplified by every college-age Mormon woman I knew being deeply in love with him to the point where they would harmonize with his music while driving in their cars. If you've endured this you know it is a fate worse than death.

It was an intolerable time for all of America really.

So, Peter Breinholt being oblivious to my hatred sat there enjoying his dinner while the women fawned over him and I plotted a way to embarrass him, proving once and for all to the women there that I was undateable. I mentally poured through witty remarks, sarcasm, direct snubbing, table tipping and more. But the right moment never presented itself.

Somehow in the conversation at the table people started talking about what they did for work or were majoring in. As everyone went around Peter remained silent, presumably confident that we all knew what he did.

So after everyone had said what they are doing but Peter, innocently my best friend finally says to him, "So what do you do for work?" Immediately the women fawning over him start up, "Oh my gosh! He is the best musician ever, I can't believe you don't know him!!! The second he says his name you'll know it!!!"

So my friend says, "Oh. (Short pause as he waits for Peter to say his name, who doesn't) So what is your name?" Peter very solemnly says, "Peter. Brienholt." Apparently disgusted my friend didn't recognize him.

My buddy kind of smiles meekly and says in only the way you can when you don't know someone but are pretending you do, "Peter Brienholt. Yes, of course I've heard of you... sorry I didn't recognize you..." and looks at me and half shrugs like, "Who the hell is that?"

The fawning women begin chirping in disgust again while Peter was inadvertently put in his place far better than I could have ever orchestrated myself.

I don't know why I cared at the time, and it all seems very petty (yet still funny) now. I'm sure Peter is the nicest human being to have ever reached Mormon fame, and totally undeserving of all of this. A veritable LA Ute of the music world. It is also likely I read into his reactions far more than I should have, but a story I enjoy nonetheless.

I was acquaintances with one of his siblings back in the day. I had no idea he was LDS, and had no idea he was musician until this very moment. His father was brilliant.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

--Yeats

I'm this close to banning you for this kind of crap.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...138%3ahymn%3d1
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I'm this close to banning you for this kind of crap.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...138%3ahymn%3d1
    I blame Google.

--Yeats

I am proud of lots of things. I am proud of not watching boring meetings on Youtube. I am proud of never having seen Titanic or any Jane Austen adaptation or Saturday's Warrior. I am proud that I had the sense to dislike Peter Breinholdt when all the other Mormons at the U loved him. I am proud that I ate two cheesesteaks in Philly this weekend.

Maybe I am most proud of the fact that I have never made a power point document.
    I am proud that I don't even know who this Breinholdt guy was.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I don't either, but I'm old. What's your excuse?

--Yeats

I can't agree more with this. I was tempted to make a similar comment in another thread talking about preparation being the difference between mediocre teachers and great teachers. Too often, PPTs are used as evidence of preparation. I can't think of anything worse that reading a few scripture in white lettering with a solid royal blue backdrop.

Once on a trip back to Kentucky we were jammed into the Mount Calvary Baptist Church on a humid Sunday, and my pastor father in law was preaching, and he was really digging deep - probably because he had family in town - and it was quite a ways over and beyond his typical sermon, which itself would probably overload the 911 system in any predominantly LDS area.

African Americans in the Baptist or AME or other protestant traditions can be very, *very* emotive, in their spirituality, an energy that can be startling to we of the more subdued background, like 26 year old, lilly white, Mormon-raised Ma'ake, who seriously wondered if he would witness a coronary, that first time. I've seen women speak in tongues, I saw Thomas Herrion put the entire church in the palm of his hand, by singing an old negro spiritual, I've seen preachers who jump into the choir stand and dance around on the backs of the chairs. I've never, ever fallen asleep at the black Baptist church. My kids were always eyes-wide-open, because whatever happens next is not routine, or soothing, or conducive to Zen.

Anyway, we get back to the pastor's house, are loading up our plates with chicken and ocra and greens, and all his kids are going on, "Daddy you were FULL of the spirit TO-DAY!", and the adulation was repeated by everyone on the couch, and then they got to me, and I knew the occasion would be going a different direction.

"Yes, that was amazing, and... well... that's something I would never be able to do. I would pull out a PowerPoint, and get the laser pointer, and say "OK, here's God up here, and here's you, down here, and we need to find a way to reunite..." and that's as far as I got as everyone started laughing so loud it blew all the ear wax out of my ears.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 10-03-2016 at 10:19 PM.

I've been to Southern Baptist, Pentecostal and AME services. They are amazing and the music...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I can't agree more with this. I was tempted to make a similar comment in another thread talking about preparation being the difference between mediocre teachers and great teachers. Too often, PPTs are used as evidence of preparation. I can't think of anything worse that reading a few scripture in white lettering with a solid royal blue backdrop.
    On the other hand, I was in a class last week where the art teacher showed the students a powerpoint slide-show of various pieces of original art, including a nude self-portrait.
    Powerpoint has its uses.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

Man, I miss a good cheesesteak. I also miss Nick's Roast Beef sandwiches. Got damn, I'd love one of those right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Man, I miss a good cheesesteak. I also miss Nick's Roast Beef sandwiches. Got damn, I'd love one of those right now.
    Me too, bro.
    There is (well, was; it's been awhile) an autographed photograph of Majerus at Jim's on South Street.
    Seeing it always made me homesick, and then I would drown my sorrows in cheese whiz and meat.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.

Speaking of corporations, and not to hijack this thread, but one thing to get me to turn off from a church lesson is to have a powerpoint .
    I had to teach high priests group today. I usually build short powerpoint slides that have the scriptures i want to read and a couple of slides stressing the the points of the lesson i want to make. Saves me writing on the board. White background and black lettering. Because of this post, i did not do that today .

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    I had to teach high priests group today. I usually build short powerpoint slides that have the scriptures i want to read and a couple of slides stressing the the points of the lesson i want to make. Saves me writing on the board. White background and black lettering. Because of this post, i did not do that today .
    Hey, people think they're experts on everything. Teach in your own way. Screw those that don't like it.....if they can do better, I'm sure they'll jump right in and offer to substitute on a permanent basis for you.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Hey, people think they're experts on everything. Teach in your own way. Screw those that don't like it.....if they can do better, I'm sure they'll jump right in and offer to substitute on a permanent basis for you.
    Yeah, Arizona. Teach the way that is most comfortable for you. I use PPT all the time at work and so I just don't use it at church because I want a break. That's just me.

--Yeats

This is not a knock on Rocker. Just thought about it and decided to use the board. The week before had to sit through one with blue backgrounds, yellow writing and a transition with noises for each picture that came onto the screen . Then thought about bringing my tablet and a cable and i pulled the ripcord.

I think i would like to make a power point of potential red zone plays and give the print out to Kyle Whiittingham however. : )

This is not a knock on Rocker. Just thought about it and decided to use the board. The week before had to sit through one with blue backgrounds, yellow writing and a transition with noises for each picture that came onto the screen . Then thought about bringing my tablet and a cable and i pulled the ripcord.

I think i would like to make a power point of potential red zone plays and give the print out to Kyle Whiittingham however. : )
    If you're going to do the PowerPoint I say go big and use ever transition you can and every sound effect you can.

If you're going to do the PowerPoint I say go big and use ever transition you can and every sound effect you can.

Sure. Drop in some animation and YouTubes too.

--Yeats

Star-wipe on every transition!

I wonder if the median marriage age (for those that marry) has dropped for the Millennials due to a panic that the best candidates will be gone quickly? Returning home from missions younger? Other?........

Anyway, no shockers here, but, a couple of interesting factoids nonetheless.

http://religionnews.com/2017/05/24/1...nnial-mormons/

Mormonism in the Media

This kinda sorta fits here.

What (and what not) to say to black people in church

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...056971%2F&_rdr

--Yeats

I never know where to post some stuff, but I guy I went to law school with and who has been a general authority was excommunicated.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/0...rly-3-decades/

Hamula was a quiet unassuming guy who, like myself, didn't quite seem to fit the BYU law student mold. We didn't dress like we worked at IBM. It's funny, there have been 5 guys from my graduating class become GA's. Two of them, including Hamula, were nice guys. The other three were smart, but kind of dicks. They were all at the top of the class and seemed to be in a competition with 4 or 5 others to see who could get the most interviews when law firms would come to school. They were always chosen because of their class standing. They had no intention of going anywhere but where they were from, so they were simply taking interview slots from people who were really interested. I'm sure this probably happened at other schools as well, but it seemed prevalent at the BYU.