Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New uni's 2014

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I prefer it over the black with white D'n'F.
    Ohh, I love the black and white. It has to be used in a blackout, with no red anywhere on the uniform. Storm trooper.

I don't like all 3 colors - black, red, and white - on the same uniform. Red/white, red/black, white/black.

I would hate to distract from Utah playing Nebraska dress-up, but UW has released their new uni's featuring an, in my memory, all-new helmet composition. So the official helmet hype history now goes matte --> chrome --> anodized --> frostbitten?
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

If we were going to go with a big letter like Nebraska I wish we had gone with this placement.
    http://i1.wp.com/www.charlessollarsc...OSE-BOWL-3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    I would hate to distract from Utah playing Nebraska dress-up, but UW has released their new uni's featuring an, in my memory, all-new helmet composition. So the official helmet hype history now goes matte --> chrome --> anodized --> frostbitten?
    We should go with the "salt encrusted slush" look.

This thread has been dormant for far too long. Surely someone has heard some murmuring up on the hill? What can we expect to see in the next little while? Isn't the new reveal supposed to be before the football season?

Quote Originally Posted by MountVanCott View Post
    This thread has been dormant for far too long. Surely someone has heard some murmuring up on the hill? What can we expect to see in the next little while? Isn't the new reveal supposed to be before the football season?
    The thread is dormant mostly because I don't have the time to post all of the reveals that happen in the offseason. But here's something for you to snack on: Oklahoma now has an alternate helmet that looks like stained wood.

In terms of Utah, where most teams are happy to hype up fans with unis, our team leaders and equipment folks seem content to do a Twitter blast and call it good. I will typically drop some clues as to what is coming, but my sources have been waffling back and forth on some details about these unis, which makes me suspect there have been changes and we wont see them until fall camp is almost over.
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 07-02-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    but my sources have been waffling back and forth on some details about these unis, which makes me suspect there have been changes and we wont see them until fall camp is almost over.
    Does that mean that they had "A Utah Man Am I" sewn into the Jerseys and now have to change it to "A Utah fan...?

Per tweets from Matthew Piper. New Ute uniforms for both football and basketball this year.

Uniforms are hoped to be here before the 6th of August.

There will be less stripes, no topography. U told him the uniforms are a "new direction"

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't like it.
    Good. They're fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Good. They're fake.

yeah, well Liz Abel has now said that they are "fairly accurate" representations of the actual unis. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    yeah, well Liz Abel has now said that they are "fairly accurate" representations of the actual unis. ugh.
    How do they get something so wrong? Why can't our university manage the brand with even the slightest competence?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    How do they get something so wrong? Why can't our university manage the brand with even the slightest competence?
    They've been getting everything related to the brand wrong. Swoop. Utah Man. Uniforms.

Maybe the most consistent failure is the lack of fan input on anything.

Just give me red and white combos. One all-black from head to toe, one all-red from head to toe, and one all-white from head to toe. Is that so hard? Why do we need the mountains incorporated somehow? LaRusso, how bout a list of mountain themed unis from various sports across the years - Jazz, Avalanche, Rockies - do any of them look good?
    Last edited by sancho; 07-16-2014 at 08:54 AM.

this may make me a pariah, but I like the new jersey's.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Isaac Asiata disagrees.

"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Same here. These aren't the best designed uniforms I've ever seen (1986 Nuggets), but they aren't the Finals-era Jazz either.

I don't mind them.

As for Liz Abel saying they're fairly accurate. SHE has not seen them. She based that statement on one from the equipment manager.

Now a week ago some asked the equipment folks on twitter what they looked like and were told they hadn't seen them yet.

Piper from the Trib is claiming the equipment manager is involved in their design, but it doubt that to be true. Heck the players pic which ones to wear each game....but the guys who wash them designed them? Something is fishy

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Same here.
    I don't mind them.
    How many times have you seen an article on the winners/losers of realignment? I haven't seen any on the winners/losers of the uniform era. So here it is:

WINNER: Oregon. Became a power program almost entirely on the strength of cool Nike uniforms. The unis drew the attention of 4 and 5 star recruits from across the country. Oregon ushered in the uniform era. Oregon remains the only team to actually see dramatic recruiting benefits stemming from uniform changes.

LOSER: Maryland. Under Armor, never really understanding what made Oregon's unis cool, tries to out-flash them with Maryland flag themed uniform. Problem - the Florida recruits that Maryland was dreaming of don't have Maryland flag pride.

WINNER: Alabama, USC, Texas, Michigan, and Penn State. The programs with iconic uniforms who did not succumb to crazy uniform pressure.

LOSER: Notre Dame, Nebraska, UCLA, Ohio State, UW. The programs with iconic uniforms who incorrectly thought they could be the next Oregon.

LOSER: BYU. Somehow was ahead of the loser game by 20 years. Changed their iconic uniforms and even their color in a failed attempt to accomplish something.

WINNER. Tulane, SMU, USU, Stanford, Ole Miss. Less iconic uniform schools who realized that the Oregon phenomenon could not be replicated and stuck with what they have.

?????. TCU. Put blood squirting out of a frog's eyes on a helmet.

LOSER. Utah, Arizona State, Boise State, Indiana, UConn. Lost their vision years ago chasing the Oregon dream. Now they don't know who they are or what they look like.

Oregon has had some duds...Diamond plate shoulder patterns TF?

But yes the teams with loads of brand and tradition will win. Even over Oregon.

It feels like a good time to remind everyone that I've been harping on Utah's weak brand for a couple decades now. I've regularly been told it's something I shouldn't care about and that there is something wrong with me for having this interest in the first place. However, I always knew it would take something really shocking to wake people up to the state of the Ute brand.
    Anyhoo, on the actual pics. They look distinctly like prototypes. The exceptional detail on some parts that look digitally glued on lead me to believe that these aren't final. Easily the worst part about these (and any uniform that attempts this) is the foreshortened mountain (I'm looking at you Colorado Avalanche!). If you're going to do a mountain profile, do it from the side, not some neck-craning angle of perspective. My preference, if this is the direction the team is leaning, would be to use simple stripes on the sleeves and pants that simply follow a jagged-mountainesque path.
    That said, I'm not going to be surprised if these turn out to be an early rough design that was leaked mistakenly by an overzealous retailer. UA's tackiness knows no bounds, but I have to imagine someone, somewhere drew the line at these.

To Sancho's question about mountain uni's. The Jazz 90's uni is now almost universally considered a classic by the uni-appreciating community. The Avalanche is typically considered the ultimate wasted brand. The Rockies have simply never looked good.
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 07-16-2014 at 12:30 PM.

It feels like a good time to remind everyone that I've been harping on Utah's weak brand for a couple decades now. I've regularly been told it's something I shouldn't care about and that there is something wrong with me for having this interest in the first place. However, I always knew it would take something really shocking to wake people up to the state of the Ute brand.
    Anyhoo, on the actual pics. They look distinctly like prototypes. The exceptional detail on some parts that look digitally glued on lead me to believe that these aren't final. Easily the worst part about these (and any uniform that attempts this) is the foreshortened mountain (I'm looking at you Colorado Avalanche!). If you're going to do a mountain profile, do it from the side, not some neck-craning angle of perspective. My preference, if this is the direction the team is leaning, would be to use simple stripes on the sleeves and pants that simply follow a jagged-mountainesque path.
    That said, I'm not going to be surprised if these turn out to be an early rough design that was leaked mistakenly by an overzealous retailer. UA's tackiness knows no bounds, but I have to imagine someone, somewhere drew the line at these.

To Sancho's question about mountain uni's. The Jazz 90's uni is now almost universally considered a classic by the uni-appreciating community. The Avalanche is typically considered the ultimate wasted brand. The Rockies have simply never looked good.
    There's a few other things.

If you look closely they have the usual UA Heat Gear type label at the color, and it's a very thin material.

But even more odd, UA doesn't have the uniforms in their own catalog but they're going to give Amazon pics to put online? (Not to mention an associate AD over media relations hasn't seen them but Amazon has them?)

Something doesn't add up.

You've got to be joking. Are we talking about the same uniforms? These were the w-o-r-s-t

I believe!

Easily the worst part about these (and any uniform that attempts this) is the foreshortened mountain (I'm looking at you Colorado Avalanche!). If you're going to do a mountain profile, do it from the side, not some neck-craning angle of perspective.
    Mountains look great in person. Someone use your google and find me a great looking mountain logo on a uniform!

Mountains look great in person. Someone use your google and find me a great looking mountain logo on a uniform!
    This is the only good one I can find.

nuggets.jpg

This is the only good one I can find.

nuggets.jpg
    Preach! When I become Commissioner of Sports, I will force all NBA teams to revert to their uniforms from the 1986-87 season.

[QUOTE=Applejack;37688]
    You've got to be joking. Are we talking about the same uniforms? These were the w-o-r-s-t
    [QUOTE]

No joke. I'm sure no one would want to bring them back, but they are considered to be one of the best of the 90's rebrands (the Pacers and Suns being the other biggies) as they are a total summation/representation of the era (big logo, teal, etc..) but seemingly well-thought-out and well designed (unlike Milwaukee and Houston, namely). That said, had the Jazz not been good in them, they probably wouldn't have as much of an iconic association to them.

[QUOTE=DanielLaRusso;37692][QUOTE=Applejack;37688]

No joke. I'm sure no one would want to bring them back, but they are considered to be one of the best of the 90's rebrands (the Pacers and Suns being the other biggies) as they are a total summation/representation of the era (big logo, teal, etc..) but seemingly well-thought-out and well designed (unlike Milwaukee and Houston, namely). That said, had the Jazz not been good in them, they probably wouldn't have as much of an iconic association to them.
    I will break this tie. They're awful.

[QUOTE=DanielLaRusso;37692][QUOTE=Applejack;37688]

OK, if we're comparing 90s rebrands, then yes, the Jazz' uniform change is not the worst. Compared to the Cartoon Rockets and the Creepy Bucks, garish mountains look great. So uniform historians will look on the Jazz unis as the greatest moment of a terrible era, sort of like when we got a 5 seed under Jim Boylen.

I guess I'm just a purist. If you've got a perfect look, why change?

[QUOTE=Applejack;37695][QUOTE=DanielLaRusso;37692]
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

OK, if we're comparing 90s rebrands, then yes, the Jazz' uniform change is not the worst. Compared to the Cartoon Rockets and the Creepy Bucks, garish mountains look great. So uniform historians will look on the Jazz unis as the greatest moment of a terrible era, sort of like when we got a 5 seed under Jim Boylen.

I guess I'm just a purist. If you've got a perfect look, why change?
    Make no mistake though. If you asked most uni-people to rank the Jazz's uni's, it would go
    1. the New Orleans holdover look
    2. the Mountains
    3. the Current look
    4. the 2004 rebrand

with the first two considered iconic classics.