Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New uni's 2014

New uni's 2014

I don't need to explain this thread, do I?

Oregon starts us off early
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Those are awesome. I love about 93% of the uni's that Oregon wear on game days.

east Carolina has some pretty cool prototype helmets

First step is switching to Nike. I feel generally Under Armour sponsored teams either look rather plain (Toledo) or too flamboyant (Maryland). Interesting, too, that 10 Pac-12 teams are sponsored by Nike (Utah - UA and UCLA - Adidas).

Quote Originally Posted by UteBow View Post
    First step is switching to Nike. I feel generally Under Armour sponsored teams either look rather plain (Toledo) or too flamboyant (Maryland). Interesting, too, that 10 Pac-12 teams are sponsored by Nike (Utah - UA and UCLA - Adidas).
    Not going to happen.

Nike treated Utah very poorly, the contract with UA is far better financially for the Utes, it's not even close.

Dumb question.
    How do these contracts work?
    What does UA supply? Everything?
    Is it free gear only, or do they kick in some cash as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Dumb question.
    Utah's deal with UA provides both financial consideration as well as product.

Previous contracts were done by sport, and rarely provided more than a discount on the purchase of uniforms and a payment to the coach of that sport. The current deal provides those uniforms and other equipment, and then a discount on other purchases, as well as cash.

For those interested, you can view the contract here

The big difference between our contract and most Nike contracts is the lack of discretionary spending...which is what many schools use to spend on things like alternate helmets provided by HydroGraphics.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Dumb question.
    UA provides annual quarterly payments of an undisclosed amount (UA considers values trade secrets) and certain product allotments with wholesale pricing on everything else, but Utah can only exclusively wear UA apparel. So, there is monetary compensation. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Utah signed a five-year contract in 2008? I haven’t heard of an extension or restructured deal?

@Diehard Ute: I don’t think Utah is unhappy with UA, so I wouldn’t imagine a sponsorship switch to Nike. I wasn’t talking in a realistic tone… just an offhand opinion. You never know though, perhaps Nike would offer more lucrative benefits now that Utah is in the Pac-12?

Quote Originally Posted by UteBow View Post
    UA provides annual quarterly payments of an undisclosed amount (UA considers values trade secrets) and certain product allotments with wholesale pricing on everything else, but Utah can only exclusively wear UA apparel. So, there is monetary compensation. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Utah signed a five-year contract in 2008? I haven’t heard of an extension or restructured deal?

@Diehard Ute: I don’t think Utah is unhappy with UA, so I wouldn’t imagine a sponsorship switch to Nike. I wasn’t talking in a realistic tone… just an offhand opinion. You never know though, perhaps Nike would offer more lucrative benefits now that Utah is in the Pac-12?
    Read the link I posted.

Do we have an idea on when the new Unis will be released?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Not going to happen.

Nike treated Utah very poorly, the contract with UA is far better financially for the Utes, it's not even close.
    This is true and very unfortunate. Utah was also in the Mtn.West when they were a Nike school and I wonder if being in the Pac-12 would make a big difference there. I think it would.

I wish Utah was a Nike school. I also think being a Nike school helps with recruiting. Nike owns the market and I can see why. There gear is so much better than UA, Adidas etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    This is true and very unfortunate. Utah was also in the Mtn.West when they were a Nike school and I wonder if being in the Pac-12 would make a big difference there. I think it would.

I wish Utah was a Nike school. I also think being a Nike school helps with recruiting. Nike owns the market and I can see why. There gear is so much better than UA, Adidas etc.
    I'd disagree. I used to be a diehard Nike guy. I'd only wear Nike's and had Jordan's for years.

I've switched to UA. My Nike shoes would fall apart after 6 months the last few pairs I bought. Their sweatshirts would often fade within months.

My UA shoes have each lasted me 2+ years and their clothing retains color and size.

I also wear what UA started with at work (most cops and soldiers do) and the stuff is awesome. My dollars switched simply due to quality.

Given Notre Dame's new UA deal I'd say the landscape is changing (I also don't think Nike ever presented Utah with an offer even close to what UA did, and I doubt the Pac12 would change that)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I'd disagree. I used to be a diehard Nike guy. I'd only wear Nike's and had Jordan's for years.

I've switched to UA. My Nike shoes would fall apart after 6 months the last few pairs I bought. Their sweatshirts would often fade within months.

My UA shoes have each lasted me 2+ years and their clothing retains color and size.

I also wear what UA started with at work (most cops and soldiers do) and the stuff is awesome. My dollars switched simply due to quality.

Given Notre Dame's new UA deal I'd say the landscape is changing (I also don't think Nike ever presented Utah with an offer even close to what UA did, and I doubt the Pac12 would change that)
    I can't speak to the quality or durability difference between the two, I don't own a lot of UA gear, I will say that the look and fasion of Nike is about 100x better IMO than UA. I also think that the youth of today agree with me. Especially when it comes to basketball. UA is so far behind in hoops shoes and style. UA basketball shoes are just awful looking. They have closed the gap in football. They still have a long way to go but it is getting better. I can agree with that. The ND contract will help that.

I will say this, I did buy a pair of UA sweat pants last week. Have to admit, they are the most comfortable pair I have ever owned.

Id love to see these helmets, I know one is a no go for sure

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseparkutes View Post
    Id love to see these helmets, I know one is a no go for sure

I don't know why it has to be a "no go for sure". I think it could actually be nicely worked into a Ute Tribe appreciation game which I am sure would go a long way towards bringing some attention about the Ute tribe, informing fans of other schools and strengthening the school's relationship with the tribe.

It seems every single game has some "theme" to it these days. Add one for Ute Tribe appreciation. Make a big, big deal. Not just the helmets.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Maybe do it for the Homecoming game. Tie homecoming and Ute heritage together.

I love the idea of a Ute nation heritage game or some thing along those lines. is there any idea of when they will announce the new unis?

Florida State continues to show why it's nice to have unflinching tribal support of your brand.

And here's some school in Miami with a U in its name or something....
    http://i.imgur.com/srLVK2R.jpg
    Everything is covered in sublimated ibises...ibi?...ibises, in case you can't tell.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Those are sweet FSU unis. I'd love to see Utah do something the same way. Is it the Ute tribe or the university that is so stand offish with incorporating Ute traditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Those are sweet FSU unis. I'd love to see Utah do something the same way. Is it the Ute tribe or the university that is so stand offish with incorporating Ute traditions?
    The Tribe. The U agreed to not use any Native American references and images in order to keep the name and drum and feather.

Based on the last 2 sets of new uni's, and today's as well, frosted gloss paint is the new chrome...Heeeeeeere's Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post
    Based on the last 2 sets of new uni's, and today's as well, frosted gloss paint is the new chrome...Heeeeeeere's Syracuse
    Aw man...we didn't ever get a chrome helmet. Dang

*Charlie Brown walks away*

Sounds like the U turn down the "War Band" type of helmet. Too bad, anyone know when the new unis will be released? or any mock ups of the ute tribe appreciation uni?

I actually dig those Syracuse uniforms.

So today is a fun one for a few reasons. Anyone who peeked in on the Mascot thread saw a discussion about the Fighting Illini. To make a long story short, there's no such thing as an Illini indian, however, WWI solider from Illinois adopted the name for themselves. Illinois, though, opted to use native imagery as the foundation of its brand for decades. Got it? Good. Eventually, the Fighting Illini had to surrender the use of one of college athletics' best logos, Chief Illinuwek. Since then, their brand has been dwarfed by the bland, icon-less, shadow of "cultural sensitivity." Not too dissimilar from Utah. Well, yesterday Illinois rebranded.
    What's of note?
    1) As I predicted, they opted for military imagery to replace any association with Native Americans....though this association is still left oddly ambiguous.
    2) More frosted gloss helmets! (apparently the industry term is "anodized")
    3) Nike is killing it with rebrands this off-season.
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 04-17-2014 at 12:44 PM.

The Victory Badge logo is atrocious.

I remember when Chief Illiniwek came to my grade school for an assembly. Coolest assembly ever, but completely inappropriate as an "educational activity" about Native Americans.

PS: I'm sure that Illinois' subsequent probation resulting from gifts of cars to players by the dad of one of my classmates was totally unrelated.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 04-17-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonute View Post
    From Dahlelama BlhLwTmCEAAopTM.jpg
    I like them all except black with red D'n'F.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I like them all except black with red D'n'F.
    I prefer it over the black with white D'n'F.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant