Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

A lot of good PAC-12 games last night. Stanford played Arizona tough, but wilted at the end. I'm glad we get Stanford at home this year. Washington won at Colorado on a last second shot by Andrew2. Oregon St beat UCLA, the Beavers might be our toughest remaining road game. Oregon beats USC as expected. Arizona St blew out Cal. I'm a little surprised at how weak Cal looks, after a pretty good pre-conference performance.

Pac-12 Standings

TEAM CONF OVERALL
    Arizona 5-1 17-2
    Utah 5-1 15-3
    Stanford 4-2 13-5
    Oregon St 4-2 13-5
    Washington 3-3 14-4
    Oregon 3-3 13-6
    UCLA 3-3 11-8
    Washington St 3-3 9-9
    Arizona St 2-4 10-9
    Colorado 2-4 9-9
    California 1-5 11-8
    USC 1-5 9-9
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'm glad we get Stanford at home this year.
    Ugh, enough with the hysterical defeatism already!

Arizona having difficulties at Stanford doesn't surprise me in the least. Road games are always going to be difficult. Few are gimmies. If you win, it is good. Winning by 10 or more is gravy. Which is why the big surprise to me is ASU beating Cal. It appears the bottom two are Colorado and Cal, whose Syracuse victory is looking more and more the outlier, not the norm. The top two are Arizona and Utah. Everyone else is, as PacHoops.com puts it, the Middle Amoeba.

I still think we lose one more on the road. The real test will be beating Arizona at home, which I am confident we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Ugh, enough with the hysterical defeatism already!
    Sounds like something a real cock would say

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Arizona having difficulties at Stanford doesn't surprise me in the least. Road games are always going to be difficult. Few are gimmies. If you win, it is good. Winning by 10 or more is gravy. Which is why the big surprise to me is ASU beating Cal. It appears the bottom two are Colorado and Cal, whose Syracuse victory is looking more and more the outlier, not the norm. The top two are Arizona and Utah. Everyone else is, as PacHoops.com puts it, the Middle Amoeba.

I still think we lose one more on the road. The real test will be beating Arizona at home, which I am confident we can do.
    I think USC is safely in that bottom tier as well. I certainly think more of Colorado than of them.

Arizona +3
    Washington State +1

Stanford +1
    UCLA +1
    Utah +1
    Washington 0
    Arizona State 0
    Colorado -1
    Oregon -1
    Oregon State -1
    USC -2
    Cal -3

Here are the updated standings for home/road (-1 for home loss/+1 road win). We have a great chance to pick up a couple of points this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Here are the updated standings for home/road (-1 for home loss/+1 road win). We have a great chance to pick up a couple of points this week.
    At what point do we switch over to actual conference standings?

If we count UW as a bubble team (and the RPI is there), we are now 1-3 vs tournament locks and 1-0 vs bubble teams (I have dropped BYU from bubble status). We have 4 more (including Oregon State) regular season chances vs locks/bubbles - 2 at home, 2 on the road.

If we count UW as a bubble team (and the RPI is there), we are now 1-3 vs tournament locks and 1-0 vs bubble teams (I have dropped BYU from bubble status). We have 4 more (including Oregon State) regular season chances vs locks/bubbles - 2 at home, 2 on the road.
    The +/- just shows who has done work in conference so far (Arizona). We are tough at home - I don't expect to have a close came until Arizona. But we need to go out and get it done on the road against some decent quality teams (UW, UCLA, OSU, ORegon, etc).

After this weekend we hit the halfway point, I'd say we do it then!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

While we all know the conference isn't what it was the past 2 years, I found it interesting when looking at RPI rankings that no team is below the 150 mark, which is usually the threshold that’s considered a “bad loss”.

Pac 12 RPI rankings (teams ranked in the top 50, 100, 150):

2014-15: top 50: 4, top 100: 8, top 150: 12
    2013-14: top 50: 6, top 100: 8, top 150: 10
    2012-13: top 50: 4, top 100: 8, top 150: 9

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    While we all know the conference isn't what it was the past 2 years, I found it interesting when looking at RPI rankings that no team is below the 150 mark, which is usually the threshold that’s considered a “bad loss”.

Pac 12 RPI rankings (teams ranked in the top 50, 100, 150):

2014-15: top 50: 4, top 100: 8, top 150: 12
    2013-14: top 50: 6, top 100: 8, top 150: 10
    2012-13: top 50: 4, top 100: 8, top 150: 9
    That's one thing that goes unmentioned when talking about how the PAC 12 is down this year. Arizona is still Arizona and Utah is providing a very good #2, but 3-7 are down quite a bit from last year (Stanford may be good, I'm still not sure on them). BUT the bottom of the conference is better. The worst teams are probably USC, WSU, ASU and Cal in some order but each of those is at least a little scary on their home court. What's dragging the conference down this year is Colorado and UCLA being major disappointments and Washington being incredibly up and down (in other words, still coached by Romar).

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Probably out late at the movies...right LA?

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Probably out late at the movies...right LA?
    A prophet is not without honor except in his own land.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The rumor is apparently drug related. For his own sake, I'm hopeful he will get his life in order. He certainly has a lot of upside on the court -- haven't seen anyone alter shots like he does in some time.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ion-team-rules

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A prophet is not without honor except in his own land.

Robert Upshaw dismissed?
    I'm gonna cross UW off the bubble list now. That leaves us at 1-3 vs tournament teams, and 0-0 vs the bubble. We still have Stanford, Arizona, and @Oregon State as games vs possible tournament teams. I think we end up at 3-3 vs tournament teams (we beat Zona and Stanford), and OSU ends up on the wrong side of the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    BUT the bottom of the conference is better.
    I don't really care about the bottom of the conference. The Big East used to use this argument against the MWC in football. Do I care that Cincy beat a 4-8 Rutgers team while TCU only beat a 2-10 New Mexico? No, I only care about quality wins and bad losses. This, in my opinion, is one of the big flaws of the computer ranking systems.

Why not play a round robin in Pac-12 basketball? Home and away with every team would make a 22 game conference schedule. Why not add four conference games in Nev/Dec, drop 4 of the bad games, and play for a better conference title?

The rumor is apparently drug related. For his own sake, I'm hopeful he will get his life in order. He certainly has a lot of upside on the court -- haven't seen anyone alter shots like he does in some time.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ion-team-rules
    Aw crap. If he was just smoking weed (legally in Washington), what a lousy outcome.
    I hope he can still find a way into the NBA.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

That is too bad. That us what got him booted from Fresno State.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Aw crap. If he was just smoking weed (legally in Washington), what a lousy outcome.
    But against NCAA rules and school rules

You know the rules when you sign up. It's not that hard to stick to what you committed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    If the rumors are true, then he'll fit right in.

Nuther Blunt Association.

Oregon State got walloped by Arizona State last night.

As of right now, I think that Arizona, Utah, and Stanford are NCAA locks and anyone else will either have to win it all, or get some serious help. Washington is technically on the fringes, (54 RPI), but will liekly fade even more now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    But against NCAA rules and school rules

You know the rules when you sign up. It's not that hard to stick to what you committed to do.
    Diehard, I assume you had a hand in this arrest.

Your service to your city is commendable. Please make sure that Stanley Johnson doesn't accidentally have a kilo on him the night before the UofA game. We need to be safe.

Diehard, I assume you had a hand in this arrest.

Your service to your city is commendable. Please make sure that Stanley Johnson doesn't accidentally have a kilo on him the night before the UofA game. We need to be safe.
    Haha.

Honestly in all the years I've done this job now I haven't run into any visiting players in the course of work (be it pro or college)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Haha.

Honestly in all the years I've done this job now I haven't run into any visiting players in the course of work (be it pro or college)
    That sounds like a dereliction of duty. Time to step it up.

By the way (and totally off topic), last Sunday I was at a get together with some friends (some mormons some not) when my friend's husband who is a DC police officer showed up. He was clearly on duty (with his partner) and he just hung around for an hour or so chatting and snacking with everyone. Is that some firable offense?

That sounds like a dereliction of duty. Time to step it up.

By the way (and totally off topic), last Sunday I was at a get together with some friends (some mormons some not) when my friend's husband who is a DC police officer showed up. He was clearly on duty (with his partner) and he just hung around for an hour or so chatting and snacking with everyone. Is that some firable offense?
    Probably not. I'd guess they took their lunch break.

A certain number of us can call out for a break if there aren't emergency calls holding.

Every department has different rules for things.

Wazzu does us a favor and beats Stanford.

Somehow I missed that Kerry Rupp is an assistant at Oregon St.

With the results of last night, there is now a big logjam of 6-4 teams below us and Arizona. It'd sure be nice to stay above the fray!