Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Huskies hire Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SoCal kid. Coaching in the PAC 12 is almost a homecoming for him.

Cal hires Wyking Jones (a Martin assistant). Back-to-back fake name coaches.

Wow. I wonder how Alford dealt with Daddy Ball?

Coaching LaVar Ball's sons: Inside high school basketball's most chaotic 30-3 season

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/lava...la-high-school

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Wow. I wonder how Alford dealt with Daddy Ball?

Coaching LaVar Ball's sons: Inside high school basketball's most chaotic 30-3 season

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/lava...la-high-school
    I have a nephew that plays at Chino Hills. I'll have to ask his dad for some inside scoop.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Do we have a list of enemies declaring early yet? AJ usually posts these things.

UCLA: Ball and Leaf are gone. Yeah!

Zona: Markennen and Simmons are gone. Alkins and Commanche are testing the waters without an agent. Trier is still deciding.

Oregon: Brooks and Dorsey are gone. Hurray! I think Bell is still making up his mind? Not sure what Boucher is doing now other than PT.

USC: Boatwright, Aaron, and Stewart are all testing the draft sans agent.

I think I read that Cal and ASU both lost big commits recently. And UW lost some transfers when Romar was fired.

Who am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Do we have a list of enemies declaring early yet? AJ usually posts these things.

Zona: Markennen and Simmons are gone. Alkins and Commanche are testing the waters without an agent. Trier is still deciding.

Oregon: Brooks and Dorsey are gone. Hurray! I think Bell is still making up his mind? Not sure what Boucher is doing now other than PT.

I think I read that Cal and ASU both lost big commits recently. And UW lost some transfers when Romar was fired.

Who am I missing?
    Rabb is gone, and Boucher was a senior wasn't he?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Rabb is gone
    I think Rabb hurt his stock by staying another year. Weren't people talking about him for the lottery last season?

It looks like #3 in the conference is up for grabs. Too bad we are looking like a mess.

Who am I missing?
    Washington also lost that 5-star Porter kid when Romar got fired.
    Porter's dad was a UW assistant coach who has since landed at Missouri (I think), so there is speculation that the kid will come too.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Looks like Casey Benson is transferring from Oregon. Man, tons of turnover in this league.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Looks like Casey Benson is transferring from Oregon. Man, tons of turnover in this league.
    What???? I thought we were the only ones.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    What???? I thought we were the only ones.
    We're the only ones who lost Devon Daniels, which hurts. Are there other transfers of his caliber? Maybe one of the UW guys.

We're the only ones who lost Devon Daniels, which hurts. Are there other transfers of his caliber? Maybe one of the UW guys.
    Talent wise yes. But after reading Goon's article yesterday it's fairly clear Devon was a problem off the court, and it was a string of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Talent wise yes. But after reading Goon's article yesterday it's fairly clear Devon was a problem off the court, and it was a string of issues.
    Yeah, I get it. He had to go. It doesn't make it any easier, though.

He's a Phoenix kid. I met with his brother who is an assistant at Grand Canyon when my son decided to transfer. I suspected this would happen. Utah should go after him
    Last edited by Two Utes; 04-13-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Hate to tell some of you on this board I told you so about Daniels, but this one deserves an I told you so. Daniels was a cancer. In college basketball cancers eat a team out from the inside.

K's decision to part ways with him shows tremendous leadership and guts because many fans just don't understand how important chemistry and culture is to a college basketball team. They just see that he could be awesome and expect K to change his personality, which is almost impossible.

Daniels needs to go terrorize some other team and its players.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 04-13-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    many fans just don't understand how important chemistry and culture is to a college basketball team.
    We all get it, man. But guess what else is important to a college basketball team? Talent. Teams have won without chemistry before. There are precedents. But no team has ever won without good players.

This was a lose-lose. I'm sure it had to happen, but that doesn't make it a good thing for Utah.

We all get it, man. But guess what else is important to a college basketball team? Talent. Teams have won without chemistry before. There are precedents. But no team has ever won without good players.

This was a lose-lose. I'm sure it had to happen, but that doesn't make it a good thing for Utah.
    You obviously don't get it. It's not a lose-lose. Go ahead and name the college basketball teams that won without good chemistry.

Final four this year? I saw them all play two rows from the court. They all play hard and play together as a team. They all have great leadership and chemistry.

I saw six of the elite 8 up close. Even Kentucky played hard and their players didn't have attitude.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 04-13-2017 at 09:55 AM.

You obviously don't get it. It's not a lose-lose. Go ahead and name the college basketball teams that won without good chemistry.

Final four this year? I saw them all play two rows from the court. They all play hard and play together as a team. They all have great leadership and chemistry.

I saw six of the elite 8 up close. Even Kentucky played hard and their players didn't have attitude.
    Maybe you and I define chemistry differently. For me, playing hard and having chemistry are separate.

I'll take chemistry whenever I can. Certainly a good thing. Neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition, though. His teammates famously hated MJ (and he hated them), but his ability was enough to win games. Calipari has been taking teams far for years using one-and-dones. It would be hard for me to believe that in every instance, all the egos just magically jelled.

How is this not a lose-lose? Keeping him is "cancer," and losing him means losing the most promising guard on the team. That's the definition of lose-lose.

Maybe you and I define chemistry differently. For me, playing hard and having chemistry are separate.

I'll take chemistry whenever I can. Certainly a good thing. Neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition, though. His teammates famously hated MJ (and he hated them), but his ability was enough to win games. Calipari has been taking teams far for years using one-and-dones. It would be hard for me to believe that in every instance, all the egos just magically jelled.

How is this not a lose-lose? Keeping him is "cancer," and losing him means losing the most promising guard on the team. That's the definition of lose-lose.
    He's not the most promising guard because he's a cancer. Pro basketball is different to an extent. (although Boogie Cousins is a cancer) And you are wrong about MJ. Those teams had great great leadership and chemistry.

We aren't losing our most promising guard. He's a cancer and chemistry problem. Those are actual qualities. That means he's not the most promising guard. You don't get it.

You don't get it.
    Yeah, we are definitely defining chemistry differently. I thought we were talking about players behaving well and getting along. You are talking about teams playing well together. The Bulls certainly had chemistry by that definition.

I guess we will disagree. Daniels had to go. I don't have to like that he had to go. I think our team looks like it will struggle either with him or without him.

Trier returning to Arizona. Bummer.

IMO, having coached volleyball at club/D1 level, cancer has to go. That said, we need talent -- better talent. The coaching staff needs to do a better job of evaluating talent and behavior. I'm certainly not expecting perfection, but I think our coaches overall have done a poor job.

Charlie Moore transferring from Cal.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Charlie Moore transferring from Cal.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    Good, that guy killed us every time we played him. Isn't he just a freshman? Definitely not a grad-transfer, so he won't be going anywhere in the PAC-12, otherwise he'd lose 2 years, right? .
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Good, that guy killed us every time we played him. Isn't he just a freshman? Definitely not a grad-transfer, so he won't be going anywhere in the PAC-12, otherwise he'd lose 2 years, right? .
    They say he wants to get closer to home in Chicago.

Watch the recent 30 For 30 on John Calipari. We all share a red-hot hatred for UK basketball, but you cannot watch that doc and not leave without having huge respect for Calipari. The idea that he wins on talent alone is bushwhacked several times. There are many great coaches at the college level, but Cal, K., Bill Self and Roy Williams are in a league of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Watch the recent 30 For 30 on John Calipari. We all share a red-hot hatred for UK basketball, but you cannot watch that doc and not leave without having huge respect for Calipari. The idea that he wins on talent alone is bushwhacked several times. There are many great coaches at the college level, but Cal, K., Bill Self and Roy Williams are in a league of their own.
    That was a very good documentary...and the loyalty he has from former players is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Really good 30 for 30.

Shaq's son, a 2018 5* recruit, just committed to Arizona. So, including Akot, Arizona now has two 5* commits for 2018.