Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Hybrid View

The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

This can be a thread about what we see happening in our conference.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-08-2016 at 12:38 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Mixed results against minor league teams from the state of Ohio. USC beats a Dayton team that upset Gonzaga earlier this year. Oregon State goes down to Akron.

We should combine this thread with my 12 Pac thread. I didn't see LA had started this.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    We should combine this thread with my 12 Pac thread. I didn't see LA had started this.

Done
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Week one in review.

What We Learned: There were some nice contests to kick things off and I think we were all reminded of the enigmatic nature of conference sports, but Utah. Sure they lost on a last second steal-n-dunk – you know, just the way Dana likely drew things up – but they played like the winners for all 45 minutes. Prior to the game, Utah was interesting, at best, to me. I gchatted all about it and ‘interesting’ was literally the only thing we could come up with (we meaning me, James, and Jason). Such a conclusion made that game Thursday night all the more, well, interesting. AND THEN THE GAME ACTUALLY HAPPENED! I loved Jordan Loveridge’s night and the way Utah played and conducted themselves. And I still think full credit is owed to Oregon. Winning conference road games is to be celebrated. Losing conference home games is a tough pill to swallow. That’s why I think Utah’s effort was a moral victory but not necessarily one they have to like. Oh, and then they kicked the hell out of OSU. Utah’s legit.

The 12 Pac basketball thread

Oregon and Colorado going down to the wire and the game has unfolded much like ours with Oregon did. We want Colorado to win this, because we don't play Oregon again and we can control our fate with Colorado, playing Colorado two times. I don't know about you gentlemen, but I'm playing this conference to win it.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-05-2014 at 05:14 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Oregon and Colorado going down to the wire and the game has unfolded much like ours with Oregon did. We want Colorado to win this, because we don't play Oregon again and we can control our fate with Colorado, playing Colorado two times. I don't know about you gentlemen, but I'm playing this conference to win it.
    Colorado won by 9 points

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    You know, really, basketball is where the new landscape of college athletics in the State of Utah becomes the most apparent. Moreso than football.

So how does everyone rank the toughest road trips in the league this year? Here's mine:

1. Arizona
    (big gap)
    2. Mountain
    (decent, but not huge, gap)
    3. Bay
    (very small gap)
    4. Oregon
    (virtually no gap)
    5. LA
    (enormous gap)
    6. Washington

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    So how does everyone rank the toughest road trips in the league this year? Here's mine:

1. Arizona
    (big gap)
    2. Mountain
    (decent, but not huge, gap)
    3. Bay
    (very small gap)
    4. Oregon
    (virtually no gap)
    5. LA
    (enormous gap)
    6. Washington
    The thing about those rankings is this: How good is UCLA? How bad is USC? How good is Washington? WSU looks terrible. Maybe the Bay area, overall, is last?

Interesting breakdown of UCLA's defense.

http://pachoops.com/2014/01/uclas-tr...ore-much-more/

Seems consistent with what we saw in our game with them.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

ASU dodges two bullets at home this week. OT vs the Beavers, last second vs the Ducks after giving up 20 point lead. Marshall is the guy with the clutch shot each time.

There are rumors that Monty will retire from Cal. Any chance that we can steal that big Polish dude, or has he signed?

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    You know, really, basketball is where the new landscape of college athletics in the State of Utah becomes the most apparent. Moreso than football.
    Please eloborate.

The PacHoops blogger has a lot to say about Cal:

Cal Doing Big things with Improved Richard

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The PacHoops blogger has a lot to say about Cal:

Cal Doing Big things with Improved Richard
    Cal snuck up on all of us. And I love their schedule -- four home cupcakes, followed by a tough preseason tournament, then alternating home games with true road games against Tournament-caliber competition (UC Santa Barbara, Creighton). They lost some games and looked flat in other contests (Fresno, a team we scored 90 points against, gave up 67 to Cal), but it's clear the Bears hit conference play running. Would love to see our schedule play out in similar fashion next year. Plus, it misses on the SLC-Boulder road trip.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 01-16-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Cal snuck up on all of us. And I love their schedule -- four home cupcakes, followed by a tough preseason tournament, then alternating home games with true road games against Tournament-caliber competition (UC Santa Barbara, Creighton). They lost some games and looked flat in other contests (Fresno, a team we scored 90 points against, gave up 67 to Cal), but it's clear the Bears hit conference play running. Would love to see our schedule play out in similar fashion next year.
    I think (hope?) Larry learned a lot from the pre-conference extreme cupcake schedule he had this season. I doubt we'll see anything like that again.

--Yeats

I think (hope?) Larry learned a lot from the pre-conference extreme cupcake schedule he had this season. I doubt we'll see anything like that again.
    Larry has already said that the schedule was set a couple of years ago, and had he known how far along the Utes would have been this year, he would have scheduled differently. I don't think he was counting on Wright being so good.

Just enjoy the ride. We don't suck anymore. We are ahead of schedule. Go Utes!

Lunardi's latest bracket projections for ESPN have 6 teams - CU, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, Stanford, Cal - from the Pac-12, with ASU on the "first four out" list.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What a whiny piece of article. Boo-hoo, Cal classes are too hard for Cal athletes. Give me a break.

I'm guessing that Archie wasn't excited about taking on his brother with an inferior roster over and over again.
    Cal's problem is they don't have a brand. Stanford does just fine with the whole " we are smarter than you" Schtick.

Once again, private institution has been run better than comparable public one.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Cal's problem is they don't have a brand. Stanford does just fine with the whole " we are smarter than you" Schtick.

Once again, private institution has been run better than comparable public one.

rumor: Krysko's name is coming up already with the Cal job.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    rumor: Krysko's name is coming up already with the Cal job.
    Please tell me that there's no way.
    How good is that job?
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Please tell me that there's no way.
    How good is that job?
    There's no way. Seriously.

--Yeats

There's no way. Seriously.
    That is my reaction. It cant pay more, given the financial constraints of the Cal athletic dept; and it has to be easier to win here than there. Much better fan base and facilities. unless you absolutely hate living here, there is no reason at all to take that job. You can use the U as a stepping stone to a better job than Cal if that is your goal.
    Last edited by concerned; 04-02-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Utah should be picked 5th in the conference next year. Cal will be picked 8-9. Coach has just landed a great class at Utah and has his whole team returning. The Utah rebuild of years is about to pay off. He's gonna leave that to start a brand new rebuild? I feel pretty safe on this one. Maybe he uses it to get a raise.

Utah should be picked 5th in the conference next year. Cal will be picked 8-9. Coach has just landed a great class at Utah and has his whole team returning. The Utah rebuild of years is about to pay off. He's gonna leave rand new rebuild? I feel pretty safe on this one. Maybe he uses it to get a raise.
    Larry to Cal makes little sense for either side. I agree with everything said about why Larry would have little reason to leave Utah for Cal--unless he either secretly hates living in Utah or really, really loves the bay area. At the same time, from Cal's perspective I would be looking for someone with a better record. Larry has Utah trending up, and to us Ute fans it looks good right now, but his overall record at Utah is still way below .500 and his best season culminated in an embarrassing NIT flameout. As a Ute fan I'm all in on Larry, as a Bear fan I would be underwhelmed with that hire.

I'd look for Cal to go for an up and comer from a smaller conference who has a better record over more years.

Statement from Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak

"Nothing has been signed as details are still being worked out. However, this is something Dr. Hill and I have been speaking about for some time. I'm very excited about the commitment from the University of Utah and I love the situation here. We are on the cusp of doing some special things and I'm proud to be a part of it."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29327320&nid...ew-5-year-deal

--Yeats

Utah should be picked 5th in the conference next year. Cal will be picked 8-9. Coach has just landed a great class at Utah and has his whole team returning. The Utah rebuild of years is about to pay off. He's gonna leave that to start a brand new rebuild? I feel pretty safe on this one. Maybe he uses it to get a raise.
    We should be picked higher than fifth. Play next season 100 times, and we win the damn thing outright far more often than we'll finish 5th.