Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ASU handing it to Stanford right now.
    Stanford starts the second half on a 21-10 run.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

My all-league honors:

POY: Delon Wright

COY: Dana Altman

First-team all-Pac 12 (10 players): Wright, Stanley Johnson (AZ), Joseph Young (Oregon), T.J. McConnell (AZ), Chasson Randle (Stanford), Askia Booker (Colorado), Norman Powell (UCLA), Josh Hawkinson (Wazzu), Nigel Williams-Goss (UW), Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (AZ)

Defensive POY: Delon Wright

Newcomer of the year: Stanley Johnson, AZ

Most improved: Josh Hawkinson, Wazzu

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    My all-league honors:

POY: Delon Wright

COY: Dana Altman

First-team all-Pac 12 (10 players): Wright, Stanley Johnson (AZ), Joseph Young (Oregon), T.J. McConnell (AZ), Chasson Randle (Stanford), Askia Booker (Colorado), Norman Powell (UCLA), Josh Hawkinson (Wazzu), Nigel Williams-Goss (UW), Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (AZ)

Defensive POY: Delon Wright

Newcomer of the year: Stanley Johnson, AZ

Most improved: Josh Hawkinson, Wazzu
    I had forgotten until this morning that UO had several players, including starters, kicked off the team last summer for legal reasons, and UO was left for dead. Altman did more with less and should be COY. LK lost it the last three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I had forgotten until this morning that UO had several players, including starters, kicked off the team last summer for legal reasons, and UO was left for dead. Altman did more with less and should be COY. LK lost it the last three weeks.
    Larry did lose it.

With Altman, it was more a case of the media overestimating the effect of off-season turmoil. They always seem to think arrests will affect how a team plays, despite a million counterexamples. Altman had plenty to work with.

I guess it's either Altman or Miller.

Altman is under major fire for allowing players to finish the season despite being investigated for gang rape. That will cost him votes. But at the same time, Utah has fizzled a little bit. OSU didn't win enough and Miller is a boring choice.

The honors are out.

Joe Young POY
    Altman Coach of they Year
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    The honors are out.

Joe Young POY
    Altman Coach of they Year
    That's some bullshit right there on Young as POY.

Brandon Taylor voted second-team All-Pac-12. Well done! I didn't think he'd get that kind of recognition, but he did. Also honorable mention all-defense.

Poeltl all-frosh, Delon all-defense.

It really looks like the Pac-12 outsourced the POY vote to the BBWAA. The COY absolutely went to the right coach. Altman was much more deserving of the award.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I wonder how much the final game played into it.

I'll give Young some credit here, ever since his proclamation that they were going to the tourney, Oregon has been on a tear. That said, feels like a career award more than anything if you're going to give it to him.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I wonder how much the final game played into it.

I'll give Young some credit here, ever since his proclamation that they were going to the tourney, Oregon has been on a tear. That said, feels like a career award more than anything if you're going to give it to him.
    He's been at Oregon as many years as Delon at Utah.

He's been at Oregon as many years as Delon at Utah.
    Is that right? I didn't know that. Awarding it to him just doesn't make any sense to me, so I just figured that might be it. You either give it to Delon or someone on Arizona.

One little win against UW, and Utah wins both COY and POY. Maybe? When were the votes cast?

Pat is right. Two years for Young at Oregon. It's a poor choice.

The only statistical categories Young really wins are PPG, and FT%.

Young has less assists with 18 more turnovers and a lower FG % (and he took far more 3's)

Also seems odd a guy who makes 1st team and 1st team defense loses out.

While Oregon won their home game against Utah. Wright out played Young by a large margin.

Colorado's Booker essentially quits the team in advance of the CBI...refusing to play in the postseason tournament.

Looks like Sendek could be out at ASU. He's meeting with the AD at 9:45 this morning to discuss the future of the program. Interesting considering they gave him a one-year extension before the year started. Plus, IMO this year was his best coaching job since he's been at ASU.

That being said I really hope they don't fire him. A competent coach could have some success in Tempe.

They should hire Archie Miller. That would be fun. Plus, he used to be am assistant to Sendek.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    They should hire Archie Miller. That would be fun. Plus, he used to be am assistant to Sendek.
    Wouldn't that be something?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    That alone would probably keep either side from pursuing each other.

That alone would probably keep either side from pursuing each other.
    Dayton is a better job right now. It certainly would be better to avoid always competing with his big brother, as he would at ASU.

Dayton compeats with Xavier and Cincinnati and to a little later extent Louisville.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Steve Lavin and St. Johns are parting ways. Gotta wonder if he jumps to the top of ASU's list.

Stanford beats Miami in OT to win the NIT. So that's something, I guess.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Sweeping the NIT champs...put that in the media guide for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post

21012 Stanfor is NIT champ
    2014 they make it to the sweet sixteen.
    2015 they are NIT champ.

Would anybody here not take that 4 year run?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    21012 Stanfor is NIT champ
    2014 they make it to the sweet sixteen.
    2015 they are NIT champ.

Would anybody here not take that 4 year run?
    You mean from where we are right now? If we only make the tournament once in the next 4 years I will be incredibly disappointed, even if we can claim to win the tournament establishing the 47th best team in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    You mean from where we are right now? If we only make the tournament once in the next 4 years I will be incredibly disappointed, even if we can claim to win the tournament establishing the 47th best team in the country.
    I meant the last four years. That would be a very nice run. Don't think that Dawkins is going to get fired any time soon.

I meant the last four years. That would be a very nice run. Don't think that Dawkins is going to get fired any time soon.
    As a Ute fan, I hope they keep Dawkins as long as possible. Stanford made the Tournament 13 of the previous 14 years before they hired him. Since he's been HC... they've made one NCAA Tourney appearance in 7 years. Talk about underachieving.

Just like with Herb Sendek, I say we start the #keepDawkins campaign!

BTW, they're going to take a big step back next year.... Randle, Nastic, and Brown all gone. Good luck with that.

Yes, I'd have been ecstatic with that for the Utes of the last 4 years. However, 4 years ago Stanford and Dawkins were in a much better position than Utah and LK. At that point, Dawkins was three years in, so the program was just about all his with players he had brought in (and that was after he had replaced Trent Johnson, who took Stanford to the tournament 3 times in 4 years, including the Sweet Sixteen in his last year. Given that background, I would not be satisfied with one NCAA tournament appearance and two NIT championships in 4 years. I'm not terribly impressed with Dawkins; if had done that at Utah he'd be on a very hot seat.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    As a Ute fan, I hope they keep Dawkins as long as possible. Stanford made the Tournament 13 of the previous 14 years before they hired him. Since he's been HC... they've made one NCAA Tourney appearance in 7 years. Talk about underachieving.

Just like with Herb Sendek, I say we start the #keepDawkins campaign!

BTW, they're going to take a big step back next year.... Randle, Nastic, and Brown all gone. Good luck with that.
    95 percent of Stanford's notable hoops history came under Mike Montgomery. They didn't earn their first non-wartime NCAA win until 1995. That 1997 team we beat in the Sweet 16? First time Stanford ever won two games in the NCAA tournament.

Two Utes is right. Dawkins ain't getting fired anytime soon.