Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Each of the top 3 teams in the standings right now is on the road this weekend, and the next four teams are all at home, so we could see a bit of a shake up after this weekend. The big one to watch will be Oregon on that Cal/Stanford swing. I've got the Ducks winning both games, but the Bears have shown some fight as of late and with a sweep of Oregon/OSU could get themselves back into the hunt for a top four spot with Wallace getting healthy down the stretch.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So who are we pulling for tonight? Is it time to move accept Oregon as conference champs and root for them to beat Cal to improve our seeding? Or do we think Cal is doing us a favor by beating Oregon?
    I would say Cal because they've still got a handful of losses in front of them and I don't think they are any real threat to crack the top four. Now, they could do some damage in the 6-7 spot in the tournament, but that's a different story.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I would say Cal because they've still got a handful of losses in front of them and I don't think they are any real threat to crack the top four. Now, they could do some damage in the 6-7 spot in the tournament, but that's a different story.
    Brah. Cal is tied with us in the loss column, and is one of four teams with five losses and vying for the No. 4 seed. By beating Oregon, Cal would hold a tiebreaker over Utah. They've also got a potential tiebreaker over us having defeated Arizona. They've got two road games against the worst teams in the league, and host the SoCal schools. They also get Tyrone Wallace back, but not in time for this game. No Ute fan in their right mind is rooting for Cal tonight.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 02-11-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Brah. Cal is tied with us in the loss column, and is one of four teams with five losses and vying for the No. 4 seed. By beating Oregon, Cal would hold a tiebreaker over Utah. They've also got a potential tiebreaker over us having defeated Arizona. They've got two road games against the worst teams in the league, and host the SoCal schools. They also get Tyrone Wallace back, but not in time for this game. No Ute fan in their right mind is rooting for Cal tonight.
    I don't see them winning @Arizona or @Washington, which would put them at 7 losses (where I have us if we win out at home and get swept in LA next weekend). At present they are 5 and 5 with 5 wins at home and 5 losses on the road. I'll give you Wazzu, but ASU could easily win that game. I see Cal as a serious threat in the conference tourney, but for me they've been too inconsistent to climb back into the top four...and until they prove otherwise, that's where they'll stay.

In the official DNF bracket projection, I think I've got them losing tonight to Oregon and finishing 10-8 overall.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 02-11-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Root for the Ducks. They essentially have a 4 game lead over us. IOW, it ain't happenin'. Any chance of catching them died on the floor in Eugene.

More losses for the teams around us the better
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Root for the Ducks. They essentially have a 4 game lead over us. IOW, it ain't happenin'. Any chance of catching them died on the floor in Eugene.

More losses for the teams around us the better
    Oh fine.

...Bunch of Dillon Brooks fan boys here.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 02-11-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bunch of Dillon Brooks fan boys here.
    Lots to love!

Cal taking the Ducks to the woodshed in the first half.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Oregon St. nabs a road win @ Stanford...might be moving off of the 10 seed in the next DNF bracket projection.

Blog Entries
    Ugh, the only thing that could've made last nights game worse was if I got to stay in suspense about the game while attending a country music concert and not getting to watch until about 11 last night when I got home. Brutal game. This road trip has historically been the worst in the conference for the Ducks. Saturday is a big one now.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Ugh, the only thing that could've made last nights game worse was if I got to stay in suspense about the game while attending a country music concert and not getting to watch until about 11 last night when I got home. Brutal game. This road trip has historically been the worst in the conference for the Ducks. Saturday is a big one now.
    On the bright side, Stanford is falling apart.

Lets look at some schedules (of teams I think we need to worry about) and standings to see where we fall:

Ore 9-3 - @ Stan, Ore st, Wash Wazzu @ UCLA @ USC
    USC 7-3 - @ASU, @Ariz, Colo, Utah, @Stan, @Cal, Ore St, Oregon

Az 7-4 - UCLa, USC, ASU, @colo, @Utah, Cal, Stan
    Utah 7-5 - Wazzu, @UCLA, @USC, ASU, AZ, Colo
    Colo 7-5 - Wash, @USC, @UCLA, AZ, ASU @Utah
    Wash 7-5 - @Colo, Cal, Stan, @ Ore st, @Ore, Wash
    Cal 6-5 - Ore St, @Wash, @Wazzu ,UCLA, USC @AZ @ASU
    Ore st 6-6
    UCLA 4-6
    Stan 4-7
    ASU 3-8
    Wazzu 1-11

Best case scenario Utah wins out Oregon loses to Wash and USC and USC also loses to Colo and we end up in tie for 1st with Oregon but get the 2 seed cause we lost twice to them

Worst case scenario: We lose @usc, AZ and Colo and get the 5th or lower seed

Likely scenario: Utah loses one more game (probably AZ seeings how we haven't beat them while in the Pac12) USC ends up losing to Zona, Colo, Utah and @AZ. AZ wins out and ends up 2 Utah ends up 3

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Having not seen the game, I would guess Cal is the toughest matchup in the conference for the Ducks. Lots of length and quickness, may be able to match Oregon's strengths better than most. Truth? Or just a sucky game, as the kids say?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    Having not seen the game, I would guess Cal is the toughest matchup in the conference for the Ducks. Lots of length and quickness, may be able to match Oregon's strengths better than most. Truth? Or just a sucky game, as the kids say?
    Cal is a tough matchup for Oregon I agree. I think the first 5 minutes of the game Oregon was 2-12 from the field and Cal was 10-11. When you don't create stops it is hard to win. Jaylen Brown is a stud, I wouldn't mind him being 1 and done.

Some interesting things going on in Arizona tonight.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Some interesting things going on in Arizona tonight.

Yep. Hate to jinx it but it looks like USC is going down. ASU up 7 with the ball, under a minute left.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Blog Entries
    Yep. Hate to jinx it but it looks like USC is going down. ASU up 7 with the ball, under a minute left.
    That was a big offensive bird after SC played D instead of fouling.

That was a big offensive bird after SC played D instead of fouling.
    Probably sealed the game. As long as Goodman doesn't shot another free throw, ASU has this one.
    André Gide

Probably sealed the game. As long as Goodman doesn't shot another free throw, ASU has this one.
    Certainly helps the cause.

Certainly helps the cause.

I can't see USC beating Arizona(despite their poor showing so far tonight). Win Sunday, and they will be looking up at us heading into next week
    André Gide

I can't see USC beating Arizona(despite their poor showing so far tonight). Win Sunday, and they will be looking up at us heading into next week
    If UCLA manages to hang on here that would be something.

If UCLA manages to hang on here that would be something.

Nope
    André Gide

Nope
    Ha...yep thanks for nothing. Please play poorly next week.

Ha...yep thanks for nothing. Please play poorly next week.

Alford needs to win just enough to keep his job. But not next Thursday.
    André Gide

Alford needs to win just enough to keep his job. But not next Thursday.
    UCLA is a major underachiever in both major sports right now. We need to take advantage of that.

Buffs hang on for an 81-80 win over Washington.

Buffs hang on for an 81-80 win over Washington.

The rare big game against top 4 contenders in which there was no clear rooting interest.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The top 6 teams in the pac-12 (Oregon, USC, Zona, CU, Utah, Cal) are

83-3 at home

and

19-27 on the road
    Oregon is responsible for 2 of the 3 home losses. Utah for the third.

DNF-Atology Bracket Projection #3

1) Oregon (13 - 5)
    2) Arizona (13 -5)
    3) USC (12-6)
    4) Utah (12-6)

5) Washington (11-7) vs. 12 WSU (1-17) (Both teams stay the same in this week's projection. Washington would hold a tiebreaker over Cal)
    6) Cal (11-7) vs. 11 ASU (4-14) (Both teams stay the same in this week's projection, but Cal earns one more win than I had them at last week)
    7) Colorado (9-9) vs. 10) Stanford (7-11) (The buffs remain the same (I have them going 1-4 down the stretch, and Stanford drops a spot - mostly due to how I think the tiebreakers will shake out)
    8) UCLA (7-11) vs. 9 Oregon St (7-11) (OSU moves up one)

The last few weeks could be a real battle of the haves vs. have nots in the league, as I have five teams (Arizona, Oregon, Utah, USC, and Wash) all with 1 loss down the stretch. Oregon will still earn the top seed by virtue of the head to head win over Arizona, and USC likewise will earn the #3 seed with a head to head win over us.

Rooting interests tonight:

ASU over Arizona

Colorado over USC (One of these two takes a 6th loss, which is good for us - Colorado still has to come to SLC, so if they were to somehow beat USC, that'd still be alright for us).

SocalPat, JIC, how'd I do?