Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Rooting interests tonight:

ASU over Arizona

Colorado over USC (One of these two takes a 6th loss, which is good for us - Colorado still has to come to SLC, so if they were to somehow beat USC, that'd still be alright for us).

SocalPat, JIC, how'd I do?
    You have been trained well young padawan
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Bay is so bad to Oregon and always has been. Hopefully 3 in a row at home will be the answer. Last time Oregon won the league they were undefeated at home and swept the LA schools on the road in the final weekend. Here's to history repeating itself!

Colorado hanging with the Trojans so far. Should go into the half with a lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Colorado hanging with the Trojans so far. Should go into the half with a lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Huge 2nd half by SC.

ASU over Arizona

Colorado over USC (One of these two takes a 6th loss, which is good for us - Colorado still has to come to SLC, so if they were to somehow beat USC, that'd still be alright for us).

SocalPat, JIC, how'd I do?
    Yeah, that's good. I was ambivalent with CU/USC. Your point is valid, but what are the odds USC gets swept at home? That was my thinking last night -- kinda glad SC pulled it out. But it wouldn't have been disastrous if they didn't.

All three road teams win last night.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

OSU (Sorry HFN)

The other two games really impact the middle of the standings heading into the tourney down in Vegas. If Stanford and UCLA both win, you could end up with a big log jam of teams hovering just above .500 in league play.

I think we for sure want UCLA to win, unless we want Colorado to have the best possible resume by the time we play them.

I think Washington probably beats Stanford, but they'll have a tough roadie next week in Oregon before finishing up with WSU.

Speaking of WSU, they've got a chance to clinch the #12 seed with a loss tomorrow (even if ASU loses out, they swept WSU)...so that's something.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Blog Entries

OSU (Sorry HFN)
    You gotta do what you gotta do. Tonight should be fun, finally a sell out. Hopefully (for me at least) Oregon can refund that rythym they've had at home and shake off the disaster of last week.

DNF-ATology Bracket Projection #4

#1 Oregon 13 - 5 (finishes 3-1) (Same as last week)
    #2 Utah 13 - 5 (finishes 3-0) (Up two spots)
    #3 Arizona 13 - 5 (finishes 3-1) (Down 1)
    #4 Cal 12-6 (finishes 3-1) (Up 2)

#5 USC 11-7 (finishes 3-1) (Down 2) vs. #12 WSU 1-17 (finishes 0-4) (Same)
    #6 Colorado 9-9 (finishes 1-2) (Up 1) vs. #11 ASU 4-11 (finishes 1-3) (Same)
    #7 Washington 9-9 (finishes 1-2) (Down 2) vs. #10 Stanford (finishes 0-4) (Same)
    #8 UCLA 8-10 (finishes 2-2) (Same) vs. #9 OSU 8-10 (finishes 2-2) (Same)

If I understand the tie breakers correctly in this scenario, Oregon gets it over us, but we get it over Arizona. Assuming Washington loses @Oregon, Colorado would have the tiebreaker over the Huskies by virtue of beating the Ducks once (vs. Wash being 0-1 and the two schools going 1-1 against each other). UCLA owns the tiebreaker over OSU by sweeping them head to head (assuming they win on the last day of the regular season).

WSU is locked into the #12 seed. Congrats to Ernie Kent!

This is also the last weekend that all 12 teams will be in action on both sets of days (Wed/Th), (Sat/Sun).

Blog Entries
    P12 POY should be down to Poeltl and Brooks. Utah holding serve at home this week with a big Saturday game from JP could seal the deal for him. Brooks could shove his way back in front with a huge performance and road win at SC, but that isn't as meaningful as it would've been before SC's recent slide.

Obviously I'm biased, but both are good players with bright futures. The way DB plays I have to be honest and say I wouldn't mind the idea of him playing with a perceived chip on his shoulder next year.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    P12 POY should be down to Poeltl and Brooks. Utah holding serve at home this week with a big Saturday game from JP could seal the deal for him. Brooks could shove his way back in front with a huge performance and road win at SC, but that isn't as meaningful as it would've been before SC's recent slide.

Obviously I'm biased, but both are good players with bright futures. The way DB plays I have to be honest and say I wouldn't mind the idea of him playing with a perceived chip on his shoulder next year.
    Do you think he is coming back next year? Honest question. I'm no NBA expert, so I don't know how he would project at the next level. I notice Boucher on a couple of mock drafts, but didn't see Brooks' name.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Do you think he is coming back next year? Honest question. I'm no NBA expert, so I don't know how he would project at the next level. I notice Boucher on a couple of mock drafts, but didn't see Brooks' name.
    From what I've been told Brooks is pretty committed to return next year. Now if he believes he's a mid to high 1st round pick he should leave. The team very strongly believes that Boucher will get an additional year and be back next year. He is listed as a Senior and making appearances in a few mocks though.

If Utah wins/ties for first at the end of the regular season, Poeltl will get it.

From what I've been told Brooks is pretty committed to return next year. Now if he believes he's a mid to high 1st round pick he should leave. The team very strongly believes that Boucher will get an additional year and be back next year. He is listed as a Senior and making appearances in a few mocks though.
    I don't know where Brooks ranks, but his stock is probably never going to be higher. He's coming off a POY type season.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't know where Brooks ranks, but his stock is probably never going to be higher. He's coming off a POY type season.
    Brooks isn't in the top 100 prospects according to Chad Ford and DraftExpress. I did find him on nbadraft.net as the 41st ranked prospect.

Poeltl is currently #6 on DraftExpress and nbadraft.net, and #7 on Chad Ford's.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Brooks isn't in the top 100 prospects according to Chad Ford and DraftExpress. I did find him on nbadraft.net as the 41st ranked prospect.
    I guess he's one of those guys who can excel in college but just isn't NBA material. Still, I imagine his stock is as high now as it will ever be.

I guess he's one of those guys who can excel in college but just isn't NBA material. Still, I imagine his stock is as high now as it will ever be.
    I just wish we didn't have to play him. Dude's good.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Blog Entries
    He's got to be a better outside shooter for the league as he has to be a 2 there. Watching his jump from fresh to soph, he can play in the league for sure but still needs some work.

Shit just got real. Buffs down Arizona by 3.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Shit just got real. Buffs down Arizona by 3.
    Nice.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Blog Entries
    Well done Buffalos!

Well done Buffalos!
    A rivalry question for you:

Outside of a sink hole engulfing the arena, who do you cheer fit between the Beavers and the Huskies tonight?
    André Gide

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    A rivalry question for you:

Outside of a sink hole engulfing the arena, who do you cheer fit between the Beavers and the Huskies tonight?
    Beavs. I moved here in fall of 2000 to attend the U of O and OSU had their best football team ever that year. It was interesting to me to see the way the rivalries were in those first couple
    of years. The Ducks view the Beavs as their embarrassing hillbilly relative that drinks cheap beer and makes socially awkward comments, but you kind of love them in a way. The Beavs feel the same about Ducks except replace hillbilly for hippie, cheap beer with weed etc.

Washington truly looks down their noses at Oregon, the peons from Oregon Duck or Beav are just not as sophisticated. Don't fit in at wine and cheese gatherings, don't even own a yacht! Gasp.

Beavs. I moved here in fall of 2000 to attend the U of O and OSU had their best football team ever that year. It was interesting to me to see the way the rivalries were in those first couple
    of years. The Ducks view the Beavs as their embarrassing hillbilly relative that drinks cheap beer and makes socially awkward comments, but you kind of love them in a way. The Beavs feel the same about Ducks except replace hillbilly for hippie, cheap beer with weed etc.

Washington truly looks down their noses at Oregon, the peons from Oregon Duck or Beav are just not as sophisticated. Don't fit in at wine and cheese gatherings, don't even own a yacht! Gasp.
    Nice analogy. What a finish in that game. Thompson is going to break the hearts of many opposing fans at the rate he is going.
    André Gide

Man, Sean Miller is a baby. Did you hear him complaining about the fans storming the court? "One of these days an Arizona player is going to punch a fan in self defense."

Don't worry Sean, pretty soon it beating Arizona won't cause fans to rush the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Man, Sean Miller is a baby. Did you hear him complaining about the fans storming the court? "One of these days an Arizona player is going to punch a fan in self defense."

Don't worry Sean, pretty soon it beating Arizona won't cause fans to rush the court.

At the risk of sounding like a flaming zoob -- given the recent circumstances, I think we shut our pie holes when it comes to talk about toughening up.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a flaming zoob -- given the recent circumstances, I think we shut our pie holes when it comes to talk about toughening up.
    Utah wouldn't have said anything publicly like Miller did. We would have just cancelled a series with our long time, bitter rivals without notice because of a 165 pound SG's punch. Like a man.

Arizona's loss really makes things interesting for Cal. They play both USC and UCLA at home this week and are @Arizona next week. Arizona could be looking at the #4 seed heading into the tournament, which is just crazy.

Arizona's loss really makes things interesting for Cal. They play both USC and UCLA at home this week and are @Arizona next week. Arizona could be looking at the #4 seed heading into the tournament, which is just crazy.
    Yes, this is the significance of last night's game as it pertains to the Utes. It sets up the path for us to get the 2 seed (if we win out), and for Oregon AND Arizona to be on the "other side" of the bracket. If Cal goes 3-1 (with the loss @Zona), and ties at 12-6 with them, Cal gets the 3 see and Zona the 4.

We all know how many Wildcat fans will be in Vegas. I'd much rather play Cal than Zona or Oregon in the semis.