Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Everyone has a tough road trip to Oregon even Lewis and Clark - Bill Walton

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Everyone has a tough road trip to Oregon even Lewis and Clark - Bill Walton
    Just make the whole state a national park.

Stanford about to send UCLA to 6-10. Depending on how they perform vs. Oregon and OSU, they could be in line for the 10 seed, which of course draws the 7 seed. Winner plays the 2, which we currently are.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Stanford about to send UCLA to 6-10. Depending on how they perform vs. Oregon and OSU, they could be in line for the 10 seed, which of course draws the 7 seed. Winner plays the 2, which we currently are.
    So who would we want to face out of the bottom half of the conference?

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wild times ahead in the final stretch of the P12. Ducks gotta hold serve on Senior day tomorrow. Thankfully Washington is in the middle of the Romar Slide that happens every year.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Wild times ahead in the final stretch of the P12. Ducks gotta hold serve on Senior day tomorrow. Thankfully Washington is in the middle of the Romar Slide that happens every year.
    The conference has been crazy this year. I can't wait to see how it finishes out.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I don't think we can depend on UCLA giving us much help against Oregon next week. Tweet from LA Times writer Zach Hefland:

UCLA's post-game locker room remained closed for a while. “The team is kind of a lost cause right now," Bryce Alford said, when he emerged.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So who would we want to face out of the bottom half of the conference?
    My gut tells me that it would be tough to beat Washington for a third time this season. I think I'd rather see Stanford or OSU if that's even possible. It will be nice to sit back and watch today.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

So, who is the all conference 1st team? We do 10 players, right?

I would say Payton, Brooks, Andrews, Brown, Scott and Poeltl are locks. Who gets the other 4 spots?

So, who is the all conference 1st team? We do 10 players, right?

I would say Payton, Brooks, Andrews, Brown, Scott and Poeltl are locks. Who gets the other 4 spots?
    Anderson from U of A. McGlothlin from USC.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Anderson from U of A. McGlothlin from USC.
    Hawkinson? Hamilton?

If the results hold tonight, we'll have 3 teams at 8-8 and Wash at 8-9, with only WSU left. Lots of movement remains before Vegas.

Mannnnn....Cal has serious athletes. Fortunately, it takes a certain combination of athleticism, brain, experience, and fortitude to be a good player.
    Last edited by justaute; 02-28-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Mannnnn....Cal has serious athletes. Fortunately, it takes a certain combination of athleticism, brain, experience, and fortitude to a good player.
    Good coaching also helps develop those traits, which they're not going to get at Cal.

Absolutely. I don't know much about Coach Martin, so I won't comment on him. Coach K, IMO, certainly appears to doing it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Good coaching also helps develop those traits, which they're not going to get at Cal.

Blog Entries
    I noticed on a poster hanging in my garage today that there are some positive similarities to the last time Oregon won the conference regular season and this year. Undefeated at home, check. Just need the final weekend sweep of the LA schools.
    image.jpg

Weren't Oregon, Utah, Arizona, and Cal the teams picked at the top in the preseason?

Blog Entries
    Weren't Oregon, Utah, Arizona, and Cal the teams picked at the top in the preseason?
    Yep, they whiffed on SC and Washington being bottome dwellers though.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...on-media-poll/

DNF-Atology Projection 5.0

1) Oregon (13-5) - tiebreaker over Utah (head to head)
    2) Utah (13-5) - Co Champs!
    3) Cal (12-6) - Despite the loss to Arizona, they still have the tiebreaker because they beat Oregon)
    4) Arizona (12-6)
    5) Colorado (10-8)
    6) Washington (9-9) - Will finish tied with Stanford and USC, was 2-1 vs those teams
    7) Stanford (9-9) - Will finish tied with Wash and USC, was 1-1 vs those teams
    8) USC (9-9) - Will finish tied with USC and Stanford, was 1-2 vs. those teams
    9) UCLA (8-10) - wins tiebreaker with Oregon St.
    10) Oregon St (8-10) - Loses tie breaker with UCLA, gets a good match up for an upset special in the tournament.
    11) ASU (3-15) - Loses out
    12 WSU (1-17) - Loses out

Here's how I think the games go this weekend:

Oregon - They drop 1 of 2...don't be surprised if it is UCLA, sending us into a frenzy, only to have the Ducks clinch a share with a win over USC
    Utah - Beat the Buffs!
    Cal - Loses to Arizona, Beats ASU
    Arizona - Sweeps Cal/Stanford
    Colorado - Loses to Utah, but the win over Arizona keeps them out of the 9-9 fray
    Wash - Beats WSU, owns tiebreaker over Stanford and USC
    Stanford - Beats ASU, loses to Arizona
    USC - Beats OSU, loses to Oregon
    UCLA - Rallies to go 2-0 vs. the Oregon schools
    Oregon St - Goes 0-2 in LA this weekend, coaches label them as the "Strongest 10 seed in the history of the league"5 Wash
    ASU - Loses out
    WSU - Loses out

Bracket Projection:

#5 Colorado vs. #12 WSU (vs. #4 Arizona)
    #6 Washington vs. #11 ASU (vs. #3 Cal)
    #7 Stanford vs. #10 OSU (vs. #2 Utah)
    #8 USC vs. #9 UCLA (vs. #1 Oregon)

The final week of the season begins with some big games Wed night:

Oregon @ UCLA 9:00 PM, ET, ESPN2 - What's at stake? - A win for the Ducks clinches a share of the regular season crown. A loss puts that in doubt all together. For the bruins, a loss would mean they would almost certainly be the 10 seed (they're pretty close as it is). A win puts them in position to take aim at the 8/9 game.

WSU @ Wash 11:00 PM, ET, ESPNU - What's at stake? - Washington will presumably win this game and then wait and see where it falls on the 6 to 9 slot scale.

Oregon St. @ USC 11:00 PM, ET, FS1 - What's at stake? - The loser falls to 8-9 in league play. If that team is OSU, they could still drop to the 10 spot if UCLA can go 2-0 on the weekend.

Rooting interests - UCLA (Obviously). The other games will have some bearing on who we play, but a lot still has to be determined that it's tough to know who to root for. Though I'll maintain I think OSU or Stanford is who we would want in the 7/2 or 1/8 match up.

on Thursday, the Norcal Schools head to Arizona

Cal @ Arizona 9:00 PM, ET, ESPN - What's at stake? - An Arizona win puts both schools at 12-6. A Cal win could vault the Bears into the #2 seed (they hold a win over Oregon, we do not).

Stanford @ ASU 11:00 PM, ET, FS1 - What's at stake? - With Arizona looming, this becomes a must win for Stanford to finish at .500 in league play.

Rooting interests - Arizona (Obviously). Stanford - Per above, I think we want them as either the 7 or the 10.

As usual, thoughtful analysis from the PacHoops blog. You get the Brandon Taylor chart twice, it appears. Sorry. Double your fun!

Week 16 PacHoops Pac-12 Power Rankings: March.

2. Utah

They’re winners of six straight by an average margin of 17 points with a lottery pick leading the way and a senior guard closing out his career/season strong. Over those last six games look at Brandon Taylor’s numbers:

btaylor-768x233.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The final week of the season begins with some big games Wed night:

Oregon @ UCLA 9:00 PM, ET, ESPN2 - What's at stake? - A win for the Ducks clinches a share of the regular season crown. A loss puts that in doubt all together. For the bruins, a loss would mean they would almost certainly be the 10 seed (they're pretty close as it is). A win puts them in position to take aim at the 8/9 game.

WSU @ Wash 11:00 PM, ET, ESPNU - What's at stake? - Washington will presumably win this game and then wait and see where it falls on the 6 to 9 slot scale.

Oregon St. @ USC 11:00 PM, ET, FS1 - What's at stake? - The loser falls to 8-9 in league play. If that team is OSU, they could still drop to the 10 spot if UCLA can go 2-0 on the weekend.

Rooting interests - UCLA (Obviously). The other games will have some bearing on who we play, but a lot still has to be determined that it's tough to know who to root for. Though I'll maintain I think OSU or Stanford is who we would want in the 7/2 or 1/8 match up.

on Thursday, the Norcal Schools head to Arizona

Cal @ Arizona 9:00 PM, ET, ESPN - What's at stake? - An Arizona win puts both schools at 12-6. A Cal win could vault the Bears into the #2 seed (they hold a win over Oregon, we do not).

Stanford @ ASU 11:00 PM, ET, FS1 - What's at stake? - With Arizona looming, this becomes a must win for Stanford to finish at .500 in league play.

Rooting interests - Arizona (Obviously). Stanford - Per above, I think we want them as either the 7 or the 10.
    Is Alford's job at stake too? I notice the line is only -1.5 Oregon. Weird.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Is Alford's job at stake too? I notice the line is only -1.5 Oregon. Weird.

Not with a $10 Million buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Not with a $10 Million buyout.
    Correct.

Additionally, people need to remember:

1) Alford took UCLA to two sweet 16s in his first two years
    2) They're going to be REALLY good next year (at least on paper). Only lose Tony Parker, and bring in 2 top-10 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Correct.

Additionally, people need to remember:

1) Alford took UCLA to two sweet 16s in his first two years
    2) They're going to be REALLY good next year (at least on paper). Only lose Tony Parker, and bring in 2 top-10 guys.
    Do they lose Bryce?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Do they lose Bryce?
    Nope. He's a junior

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Nope. He's a junior
    Oh good!

Go Bruins! Beat the Zeroes!

Boucher is an amazing blocker.

Jesus, what a knuckleheaded play at the end of the half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

How frustrating to be a UCLA fan even for a night! Immensely talented but also immensely stupid and undisciplined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo