Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Really, at the start of the year you thought we would be far ahead of those teams? You have more foresight than I do.

I think we can catch UW or ASU - it's all about road wins in this league. We have none (and one home loss); UW has one road win (ASU); ASU has one road win (USC) and one home loss (UW). We need to handle our business at home, more or less, and steal a few on the road. That should be the goal of this team: protect your house.
    Nope, not at the start of the year, but at the start of the year I didn't know Delon would be as amazing as he is. My disappointment would be based not on my preseason expectations, but my current belief of what this team is capable of given Delon's emergence and, to a lesser extent, Bachynski's ability to stay tuned in and play within himself thus far.

Really, at the start of the year you thought we would be far ahead of those teams? You have more foresight than I do.

I think we can catch UW or ASU - it's all about road wins in this league. We have none (and one home loss); UW has one road win (ASU); ASU has one road win (USC) and one home loss (UW). We need to handle our business at home, more or less, and steal a few on the road. That should be the goal of this team: protect your house.
    This. Yes this. I think this is the reasonable goal for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This. Yes this. I think this is the reasonable goal for this year.
    Agree.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Interesting breakdown of UCLA's defense.

http://pachoops.com/2014/01/uclas-tr...ore-much-more/

Seems consistent with what we saw in our game with them.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

ASU dodges two bullets at home this week. OT vs the Beavers, last second vs the Ducks after giving up 20 point lead. Marshall is the guy with the clutch shot each time.

There are rumors that Monty will retire from Cal. Any chance that we can steal that big Polish dude, or has he signed?

There are rumors that Monty will retire from Cal. Any chance that we can steal that big Polish dude, or has he signed?
    He's Austrian, and I have no idea.

Any chance the other Miller brother comes to Cal? It would be fun to see those two play against each other each year.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He's Austrian, and I have no idea.

Any chance the other Miller brother comes to Cal? It would be fun to see those two play against each other each year.
    Archie turns down Cal, and Wilner with an excellent piece about the obstacles Cal has to overcome.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...ce-montgomery/

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Archie turns down Cal, and Wilner with an excellent piece about the obstacles Cal has to overcome.

they were lucky to land Montgomery; it will be difficult to land someone of that caliber, I would think

Wazzu ups the ante for Cal by hiring Ernie Kent. Very good move for Wazzu, all things considered.

What a whiny piece of article. Boo-hoo, Cal classes are too hard for Cal athletes. Give me a break.

I'm guessing that Archie wasn't excited about taking on his brother with an inferior roster over and over again.

Wazzu ups the ante for Cal by hiring Ernie Kent. Very good move for Wazzu, all things considered.
    This is also good news for anyone who watches basketball on the Pac-12 Network.

This is also good news for anyone who watches basketball on the Pac-12 Network.
    Joe Montana and Magic Johnson were horrible behind the mike doing analysis, but that's not what their talents were sought for.

What a whiny piece of article. Boo-hoo, Cal classes are too hard for Cal athletes. Give me a break.

I'm guessing that Archie wasn't excited about taking on his brother with an inferior roster over and over again.
    Cal's problem is they don't have a brand. Stanford does just fine with the whole " we are smarter than you" Schtick.

Once again, private institution has been run better than comparable public one.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Cal's problem is they don't have a brand. Stanford does just fine with the whole " we are smarter than you" Schtick.

Once again, private institution has been run better than comparable public one.

rumor: Krysko's name is coming up already with the Cal job.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    rumor: Krysko's name is coming up already with the Cal job.
    Please tell me that there's no way.
    How good is that job?
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Please tell me that there's no way.
    How good is that job?
    There's no way. Seriously.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    There's no way. Seriously.
    That is my reaction. It cant pay more, given the financial constraints of the Cal athletic dept; and it has to be easier to win here than there. Much better fan base and facilities. unless you absolutely hate living here, there is no reason at all to take that job. You can use the U as a stepping stone to a better job than Cal if that is your goal.
    Last edited by concerned; 04-02-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Utah should be picked 5th in the conference next year. Cal will be picked 8-9. Coach has just landed a great class at Utah and has his whole team returning. The Utah rebuild of years is about to pay off. He's gonna leave that to start a brand new rebuild? I feel pretty safe on this one. Maybe he uses it to get a raise.

Utah should be picked 5th in the conference next year. Cal will be picked 8-9. Coach has just landed a great class at Utah and has his whole team returning. The Utah rebuild of years is about to pay off. He's gonna leave rand new rebuild? I feel pretty safe on this one. Maybe he uses it to get a raise.
    Larry to Cal makes little sense for either side. I agree with everything said about why Larry would have little reason to leave Utah for Cal--unless he either secretly hates living in Utah or really, really loves the bay area. At the same time, from Cal's perspective I would be looking for someone with a better record. Larry has Utah trending up, and to us Ute fans it looks good right now, but his overall record at Utah is still way below .500 and his best season culminated in an embarrassing NIT flameout. As a Ute fan I'm all in on Larry, as a Bear fan I would be underwhelmed with that hire.

I'd look for Cal to go for an up and comer from a smaller conference who has a better record over more years.

I wonder if Cal is interested in Randy Barnett Bennett? I wonder if Barnett would be interested in Cal?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-02-2014 at 10:45 PM.

--Yeats

I wonder if Cal is interested in Randy Barnett? I wonder if Barnett would be interested in Cal?
    St. Marys Randy Bennet?

Only thing negative I can see with Bennet is that St. Mary's was hit with some penalties under his watch a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    St. Marys Randy Bennet?

Only thing negative I can see with Bennet is that St. Mary's was hit with some penalties under his watch a few years back.
    Yeah, that guy.

--Yeats

Utah should be picked 5th in the conference next year. Cal will be picked 8-9. Coach has just landed a great class at Utah and has his whole team returning. The Utah rebuild of years is about to pay off. He's gonna leave that to start a brand new rebuild? I feel pretty safe on this one. Maybe he uses it to get a raise.
    We should be picked higher than fifth. Play next season 100 times, and we win the damn thing outright far more often than we'll finish 5th.

We should be picked higher than fifth. Play next season 100 times, and we win the damn thing outright far more often than we'll finish 5th.
    I'm figuring 1-4 will be Arizona, UCLA, CU, and Oregon. Arizona might be preseason #1 nationally. CU returns everyone (assuming Dinwiddie returns). Oregon signed some hotshot 1-and-done to go along with the rest of their returners. And UCLA is just UCLA.

I wonder if Cal is interested in Randy Barnett Bennett? I wonder if Barnett would be interested in Cal?
    I think Bennett's ship sailed. He had a nice window where he could have moved on to a bigger program, but now he hasn't made the tournament in a while. Those successful St Mary's teams are now just vague memories. Something about a Sandman?

Plus, Bennett has never shown he can succeed without international players. Maybe that pipeline will always be there for him, but I wouldn't risk that if I were Cal.

Is Ben Howland a candidate?

Is Ben Howland a candidate?
    Is he still being paid by the UC system?

Randy Bennett would be a home run hire for them. Maybe some of the shimmer has left from his resume with a small NCAA Tourney drought, but the guy can coach and is at the perfect point in his career to take a program like Cal. Besides, one of his last victories was a thrilling NIT win over an up-and-coming PAC-12 program.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    Randy Bennett would be a home run hire for them. Maybe some of the shimmer has left from his resume with a small NCAA Tourney drought, but the guy can coach and is at the perfect point in his career to take a program like Cal. Besides, one of his last victories was a thrilling NIT win over an up-and-coming PAC-12 program.
    I'm all for it. Bennett would not make me as nervous as some other names.

Cal is a great place for a coach - low expectations, solid recruiting base, decent facilities. The only downside is the administration is down on sports because the football team just went $100 million over budget on the new stadium (sorry history department!).