Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Bruins look undisciplined and out of control. That being said, GO BRUINS!!!
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Barring some unforseen wins by ASU and WSU...UCLA is the likely 10 seed.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I will be surprised if USC is not favored vs. Oregon.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I will be surprised if USC is not favored vs. Oregon.
    They looked like they woke up a bit last night...hopefully just in time to take down the Ducks.

Oregon was as impressive last night as UCLA was incompetent. The Bruins had a 7 point lead at about the 10 minute mark and Oregon erased it in no time and looked good doing it and never really looked back. They traded shots for a while, but I never felt like Oregon was in any real trouble.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Are there any seniors at USC for a big senior night lift?

USC only has one SR. He averages 3 min and 1 pt per game.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I realize that I am biased, but I think Brooks sealing the game and the P12 title in the final minutes of the game last night probably locked up the POY for him.

Poeltl is also a great player and most years would probably be almost running away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I realize that I am biased, but I think Brooks sealing the game and the P12 title in the final minutes of the game last night probably locked up the POY for him.

Poeltl is also a great player and most years would probably be almost running away with it.
    I think it's at least possible that Poetel gets it off the supporting cast argument...as in Brooks probably has a stronger supporting cast.

There are very few players I've seen at the collegiate level that play as physically as Ryan Anderson. He reminds me a little of Montrez Harrell, but plays under control.

If cal beats AZ tonight I might almost be OK if we lose on Saturday so AZ finishes 5th

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Wow...Cats pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Wow...Cats pull it off.

most famous Gabe since welcome back kotter

Alright, one final DNF-Atology projection heading into the weekend:

1) Oregon 14-4 (USC is welcome to prove me wrong)
    2) Utah 13-5
    3) Cal 12-6 (Owns tiebreaker by virtue of win over Oregon)
    4) Arizona 12-6

5) Colorado (10-8) vs. 12 WSU (1-17) (vs. #4 Arizona)
    6) USC (9-9) vs. 11 ASU (5-13) (vs. #3 Cal) - USC has the tiebreaker with Washington
    7) Washington (9-9) vs. 10 UCLA (7-11) (vs. #2 Utah)
    8) Stanford (8-10) vs. Oregon St. (8-10)(vs. #1 Oregon) - Stanford owns the head to head vs. OSU (2-0).

Game times:

Stanford @ Arizona - 4:00 PM, ET (CBS)
    Oregon @ USC - 4:00 PM, ET (Pac 12)
    Oregon St. @ UCLA - 6:30 PM, ET (Pac 12)
    Cal @ ASU - 8:00 PM, ET (ESPN2)
    Colorado @Utah - 9:30 PM, ET (ESPNU)

As noted previously...Utah will know exactly what it is playing for by the time we tip off, and it will be interesting to see if they come out flat if Oregon wins.

Alright, one final DNF-Atology projection heading into the weekend:

1) Oregon 14-4 (USC is welcome to prove me wrong)
    2) Utah 13-5
    3) Cal 12-6 (Owns tiebreaker by virtue of win over Oregon)
    4) Arizona 12-6

5) Colorado (10-8) vs. 12 WSU (1-17) (vs. #4 Arizona)
    6) USC (9-9) vs. 11 ASU (5-13) (vs. #3 Cal) - USC has the tiebreaker with Washington
    7) Washington (9-9) vs. 10 UCLA (7-11) (vs. #2 Utah)
    8) Stanford (8-10) vs. Oregon St. (8-10)(vs. #1 Oregon) - Stanford owns the head to head vs. OSU (2-0).

Game times:

Stanford @ Arizona - 4:00 PM, ET (CBS)
    Oregon @ USC - 4:00 PM, ET (Pac 12)
    Oregon St. @ UCLA - 6:30 PM, ET (Pac 12)
    Cal @ ASU - 8:00 PM, ET (ESPN2)
    Colorado @Utah - 9:30 PM, ET (ESPNU)

As noted previously...Utah will know exactly what it is playing for by the time we tip off, and it will be interesting to see if they come out flat if Oregon wins.
    Above all, I'd love to see UCLA pull off the upset Wednesday and get to play them on Thursday. They could still turn things around in their next two games but they have been a tire fire lately and I think that matchup is the best recipe for Utah to roll in their opener. I doubt UCLA can beat the 7 seed.

Of the possible 7 seeds, I least want to see UW. They are good, they are built for tournament play and they nearly beat Utah both times. Utah can win that but it takes everything we've got and then we're in a bad spot against Cal.

I'd love to get Stanford again but it's very unlikely as I think they'd have to win at McKale tomorrow. OSU is probably the best matchup of the realistic options. I think Utah will have a little chip on their shoulder after the way things ended in Corvallis. I'm unsure on USC. I need to see how they look against Oregon tomorrow to decide if they've pulled out of their slump or if they're simply a team that peaked in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    If cal beats AZ tonight I might almost be OK if we lose on Saturday so AZ finishes 5th

This is a weird post and I disapprove of it. What we should want is for us to beat Colorado and for USC to beat Oregon. PERIOD! We shouldn't prefer that the Utes lose so that Arizona gets 5 seed to improve our matchups in the tournament. A Pac 12 regular season championship has a lot of value.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Above all, I'd love to see UCLA pull off the upset Wednesday and get to play them on Thursday. They could still turn things around in their next two games but they have been a tire fire lately and I think that matchup is the best recipe for Utah to roll in their opener. I doubt UCLA can beat the 7 seed.

Of the possible 7 seeds, I least want to see UW. They are good, they are built for tournament play and they nearly beat Utah both times. Utah can win that but it takes everything we've got and then we're in a bad spot against Cal.

I'd love to get Stanford again but it's very unlikely as I think they'd have to win at McKale tomorrow. OSU is probably the best matchup of the realistic options. I think Utah will have a little chip on their shoulder after the way things ended in Corvallis. I'm unsure on USC. I need to see how they look against Oregon tomorrow to decide if they've pulled out of their slump or if they're simply a team that peaked in January.
    Here's where things get interesting...

If OSU beats UCLA, and USC loses to Oregon, OSU vaults up to the 6 seed based on tiebreakers. In that scenario, USC drops to 7 and Washington drops to 8.

If USC beats Oregon, it is still the 6 with Colorado winning the head to head (assuming we beat the buffs)

If Stanford somehow beats Arizona, Washington would be the 6th seed due to a three way tiebreaker with USC and Stanford, the Cardnial would be 7 and USC would drop to 8.

I think I got all those tiebreakers right.

Bottom line...I don't want to be the 3 seed, last year that game didn't tip until around midnight Eastern.

Here's where things get interesting...

If OSU beats UCLA, and USC loses to Oregon, OSU vaults up to the 6 seed based on tiebreakers. In that scenario, USC drops to 7 and Washington drops to 8.

If USC beats Oregon, it is still the 6 with Colorado winning the head to head (assuming we beat the buffs)

If Stanford somehow beats Arizona, Washington would be the 6th seed due to a three way tiebreaker with USC and Stanford, the Cardnial would be 7 and USC would drop to 8.

I think I got all those tiebreakers right.

Bottom line...I don't want to be the 3 seed, last year that game didn't tip until around midnight Eastern.

Pretty sure most of the scenarios have been covered, but just to summarize:

The only we don't get the 2 seed: Utah loses, Cal wins, Arizona loses. We would get the 3.

There are 8 possible scenarios for the 7 seed. Of those 8: 4/8 has UW getting the 7, 2/8 OSU, 1/8 USC and 1/8 Stanford.

If we (like I have) assume that Stanford won't beat Zona tomorrow, then there are 4 scenarios for the 7: 2/4 UW, 1/4 OSU, 1/4 USC.

DNF outlined the path for USC to get the 7, here it is for OSU: OSU beats UCLA and USC beats Oregon. This leaves OSU and UW tied at 9-9, OSU wins the tie-breaker (H2H). That, IMO, is the ideal (realistic) scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Pretty sure most of the scenarios have been covered, but just to summarize:

The only we don't get the 2 seed: Utah loses, Cal wins, Arizona loses. We would get the 3.

There are 8 possible scenarios for the 7 seed. Of those 8: 4/8 has UW getting the 7, 2/8 OSU, 1/8 USC and 1/8 Stanford.

If we (like I have) assume that Stanford won't beat Zona tomorrow, then there are 4 scenarios for the 7: 2/4 UW, 1/4 OSU, 1/4 USC.

DNF outlined the path for USC to get the 7, here it is for OSU: OSU beats UCLA and USC beats Oregon. This leaves OSU and UW tied at 9-9, OSU wins the tie-breaker (H2H). That, IMO, is the ideal (realistic) scenario.
    USC at the 7 is interesting because you get them against UCLA, and they swept the season series...so the bruins might have revenge on the mind. Either way, a slugfest.

I'd love to see Washington fall to that 8/9 game because I think Andrew Andrews vs. Dillon Brooks would be really entertaining basketball...and for some reason I think the Huskies have the potential to get hot and knock a higher seeded team off and I don't want that to be us (am I crazy?).

One more thought on the Beavers. They need this UCLA win and probably need to beat their first round opponent to in order to get into the field (depending on what the bubble does). Right now Lunardi has them as one of the last four in playing Connecticut in Dayton.

I agree with UW, but I think I'd rather play them than USC. I know USC hasn't been good on the road or lately, but I still think they're the better team.

How I'd rank the possible 7 seeds (from teams I want to see to the teams I'd least want to see):

Stanford, OSU*, UW, USC

*should note that the Beavs might be without Tres Tinkle in the Pac-12 Tourney (injured foot)

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    This is a weird post and I disapprove of it. What we should want is for us to beat Colorado and for USC to beat Oregon. PERIOD! We shouldn't prefer that the Utes lose so that Arizona gets 5 seed to improve our matchups in the tournament. A Pac 12 regular season championship has a lot of value.
    Key word "ALMOST"

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Oregon up 9 on USC and the lights go out...

Oregon up 9 on USC and the lights go out...

Dang. We've been so so close to conference titles in football and now in basketball. Not sure when the time will be so ripe again.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Dang. We've been so so close to conference titles in football and now in basketball. Not sure when the time will be so ripe again.
    Interestingly enough, Larry said that they were more focused on winning the league tournament. Now, maybe that's because the regular season writing is on the wall.

7 point game at the half with the Ducks up. Meanwhile, Zona up 16.

Lights out was a good break. The Ducks were rolling. This game is far from over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, is Dawkins back in Palo Alto next year?
    He has a fairly young team right?

Brooks took a really hard fall and split his head above his eye.

Brooks took a really hard fall and split his head above his eye.

When he was hit by an inadvertent USC elbow.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

So tiebreaker scenarios: OSU, USC, and UW knotted at 9-9. Isn't first tie breaker composite record against the 3 teams tied:

OSU: 2-1 (1-0 vs UW, 1-1 vs USC)
    USC: 2-2 (1-1 vs UW, 1-1 vs OSU)
    UW: 1-2 (1-1 vs USC 0-1 vs OSU)

That should give OSU the 6 seed.

Then you compare USC/UW head to head, which was a split,
    so then record vs Oregon. USC 0-2, UW was 0-1. I don't think that they would give it to UW simply because they played oregon only once.
    vs Utah: USC 0-1, UW 0-2 See above
    vs Cal: USC 0-1, UW 0-1
    vs AZ: USC 1-1, UW 0-2

So, as long as I am not wrong about the 0-2 vs 0-1 debate, then:

OSU 6th seed
    USC 7th seed
    UW 8th seed

Am I right?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide