Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    OSU fires Robinson.
    seems like they waited a long time, their seasons been over for 6 weeks

Curious timing, for sure. It certainly begs the question about what they have in mind.

Downright bizzare timing. you wait until spring signing is wrapping up?

On another note, Oregon has now lost Artis, Austin, and Dotson could be next. Incredible.

With all of the transfers and early entries across the conference and what not, can it be reasonably stated that Utah will be battling UCLA for #2 in conference this coming year?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    With all of the transfers and early entries across the conference and what not, can it be reasonably stated that Utah will be battling UCLA for #2 in conference this coming year?
    Here's a nice summary of where the conference teams are:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ocky-right-now

The tiers for 2014-15:

Tier 1: Arizona

Tier 2: UCLA, Utah, Stanford, Oregon, Colorado

Tier 3: USC, UW, ASU, Cal

Tier 4: OSU, WSU

#2 in the conference is definitely up for grabs.

Here's the PAC-12 Hoops breakdown of UCLA for 2014-15:

http://pachoops.com/2014/10/ucla-bru...-alfords-ucla/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Here's the PAC-12 Hoops breakdown of UCLA for 2014-15:

http://pachoops.com/2014/10/ucla-bru...-alfords-ucla/
    Thanks for the link, we are of course working on one for Utah as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachoops View Post
    Thanks for the link, we are of course working on one for Utah as well.
    We like your site!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I watched most of the Arizona/Gonzaga game. What a fun game to watch.

Arizona has the size, length, and athleticism to compete with anyone, but they lack shooting. This is where they are missing Nick Johnson the most. I'm surprised that Hollis-Jefferson hasn't stepped up in this regard. McConnell has struggled in that role.

Gonzaga looks really good too. They have size and play physical and have shooters in Pangos and Wiljter. Wiltjer can put the ball in the hoop with any kind of shot it seems.

Arizona losing to UNLV by 3 with about 2 minutes left.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Arizona goes down. Not sure how to feel about this.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Helps us for the moment. In the end its probably a wash. But i have hope ww can beat those arizona guys at home.

It was probably a trap game for AZ. Still, I'm hoping we split with them this season (at least) and that we sweep USC and UCLA.

--Yeats

I know how I feel about it. It's a damn shame UNLV ain't in the PAC 12.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Helps us for the moment. In the end its probably a wash. But i have hope ww can beat those arizona guys at home.
    What do you mean? There's nothing but good about this. We beat UNLV in Vegas, and UNLV beat Arizona, ranked no. 3 in the country. It will help us get an NCAA invitation/better seeding. And we still get to play Arizona twice. The premise of your response seems to assume we'll beat Arizona. We might not. But if we do, we'll likely be in the top tier of the pac 12 or Pac 12 champs. in any event, this makes AZ look mortal and gives our guys a shot of confidence. It's a total plus, just as a BYU victory over Gonzaga would be.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It's a total plus, just as a BYU victory over Gonzaga would be.
    Nope. BYU over Gonzaga is a minus in every possible way for us other than a meaningless and tiny RPI bump.

This Utah team is already in the tournament. We don't have to worry about it.

Nope. BYU over Gonzaga is a minus in every possible way for us other than a meaningless and tiny RPI bump.

This Utah team is already in the tournament. We don't have to worry about it.
    But we do have to worry about seeding and placement.

I guess this makes me more of a UNLV fan for the rest of the year. If they can do well, it strengthens our win against them, and as a bonus, lessens the loss to Arizona.

But we do have to worry about seeding and placement.

I guess this makes me more of a UNLV fan for the rest of the year. If they can do well, it strengthens our win against them, and as a bonus, lessens the loss to Arizona.
    I'm fine with that. Go UNLV. But I'm not about to start pulling for BYU just to get a slightly better seed. We have plenty of chances to grab a good seed in conference play.

I'm fine with that. Go UNLV. But I'm not about to start pulling for BYU just to get a slightly better seed. We have plenty of chances to grab a good seed in conference play.
    Right. It doesn't help us if BYU basketball looks like a credible, big-time program. LDS All-Stars is better.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Right. It doesn't help us if BYU basketball looks like a credible, big-time program. LDS All-Stars is better.
    Especially since Frank Jackson is on the line. This would be a great year for BYU to miss the tournament. Unfortunately, they got their Stanford win, and traditionally, one decent OOC win is enough for a 20-win mid-major to get in.

Oh brother. Like devout LDS recruits matter that much or they're ever up for grabs between BYU and Utah. We get everything north of Alpine that matters and generally always have except for the ones that go out of state. Certainly no AA kid should go to BYU, or he needs a history lesson.

The accumulation of "quality wins" means a lot. I want BYU to be one of them. And I don't like Gonzaga.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Oh brother. Like devout LDS recruits matter that much or they're ever up for grabs between BYU and Utah. We get everything north of Alpine that matters and generally always have except for the ones that go out of state. Certainly no AA kid should go to BYU, or he needs a history lesson.

The accumulation of "quality wins" means a lot. I want BYU to be one of them. And I don't like Gonzaga.
    It's more than just the recruit - I want him but assume he will either go to Duke or BYU (think carefully, Frank, there is a clear right answer between those two). It's more about just not wanting anything good to happen to BYU. I'm more than happy to sacrifice one quality win if it means they lose a bunch of games.

It's more than just the recruit - I want him but assume he will either go to Duke or BYU (think carefully, Frank, there is a clear right answer between those two). It's more about just not wanting anything good to happen to BYU. I'm more than happy to sacrifice one quality win if it means they lose a bunch of games.
    Anyone who has to decide whether to play basketball for Duke or BYU probably isn't smart enough to play for Duke.

Washington loses to Stony Brook at home, 62-57. They drop to 21 in the AP poll.

Their RPI is 41, and their SOS is 191.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 12-29-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Cheering for BYU should never be based on things like RPI. Cheering for BYU is cheering for fascism, sexism, homophobia, and ankle-length skirts. I'm surprised you, of all people, need to hear this from me.

Washington loses to Stony Brook at home, 62-57. They drop to 21 in the AP poll.

Their RPI is 41, and their SOS is 191.
    I'm not surprised at all. UW had played all games but one at home. It had one quality win, at home vs. SDS. A hugely overrated and undercoached team.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The Pac-12 power ranking as we head into conference play:

1) Arizona. Beat Mizzou, KState, SDSU, Gonzaga, Michigan. Lost to UNLV
    2) Utah. Beat UNLV, BYU, Wichita. Lost to SDSU and Kansas.
    3) UW. Beat SDSU and Oklahoma. Lost to Stony Brook.
    4) Stanford. Beat UNLV and Texas. Lost to BYU, DePaul, and Duke.
    5) Cal. Beat Syracuse. Lost to Texas, Wisconsin, and Cal-St Bakersfield
    6) Oregon. Beat Illinois. Lost to Michigan, VCU, and Ole Miss.
    7) USC. Beat New Mexico, USU, and BC. Lost to Army, Penn State, Akron, and Portland State.
    8) OSU. Beat Miss State. Lost to Okie St, Auburn, and Quinnipiac.
    9) ASU. Beat UNLV. Lost to Maryland, Alabama, A&M, Marquette, and Lehigh.
    10) UCLA. Beat nobody. Lost to Oklahoma, UNC, Gonzaga, Kentucky, and Alabama.
    11) Colorado. Beat Auburn. Lost to Wyoming, Georgia, CSU, GW, and Hawaii
    12) Wazzu. Beat nobody. Lost to UTEP, TCU, UCSB, Idaho, Gonzaga, and Santa Clara.

The Pac-12 power ranking as we head into conference play:

1) Arizona. Beat Mizzou, KState, SDSU, Gonzaga, Michigan. Lost to UNLV
    2) Utah. Beat UNLV, BYU, Wichita. Lost to SDSU and Kansas.
    3) UW. Beat SDSU and Oklahoma. Lost to Stony Brook.
    4) Stanford. Beat UNLV and Texas. Lost to BYU, DePaul, and Duke.
    5) Cal. Beat Syracuse. Lost to Texas, Wisconsin, and Cal-St Bakersfield
    6) Oregon. Beat Illinois. Lost to Michigan, VCU, and Ole Miss.
    7) USC. Beat New Mexico, USU, and BC. Lost to Army, Penn State, Akron, and Portland State.
    8) OSU. Beat Miss State. Lost to Okie St, Auburn, and Quinnipiac.
    9) ASU. Beat UNLV. Lost to Maryland, Alabama, A&M, Marquette, and Lehigh.
    10) UCLA. Beat nobody. Lost to Oklahoma, UNC, Gonzaga, Kentucky, and Alabama.
    11) Colorado. Beat Auburn. Lost to Wyoming, Georgia, CSU, GW, and Hawaii
    12) Wazzu. Beat nobody. Lost to UTEP, TCU, UCSB, Idaho, Gonzaga, and Santa Clara.
    Yikes. When you put it that way, the Pac looks like a 3 bid conference. 4 max.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Some of those teams will beat Utah, UW, and Arizona in conference play to add quality wins. The conference will get 4-5 in like usual. But it doesn't really matter, as long as we get in (and with a good seed).

I'm not surprised at all. UW had played all games but one at home. It had one quality win, at home vs. SDS. A hugely overrated and undercoached team.
    From what I have seen, this is UW's MO: strong starts, slow finishes. They are the Air Force of college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    That could be.

Cal is an enigma to me so far this season. Beating Syracuse in New York and nearly losing to Montana at home. Sadly we won't learn much against another inconsistent team in UW. Both have serious flaws right now.