Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 season football thread

Hybrid View

The 2014 season football thread

A place to discuss pre-spring ball player movements, coaching changes, player tweets/instagrams, spring ball predictions, etc.

I thought I'd start it off with some points I took away from the Dave Christensen press conference:

• Dave said that the new offense will look much like last year's. Just a few added wrinkles.
    • Up tempo when things are clicking, but can't have quick 3-and-outs putting the D in bad positions.
    • Kyle and Dave stayed close after Idaho State and talked often. Their wives are good friends.
    • Kyle felt like turnover margin was the story last season on both sides of the ball.
    • Kyle said that DE took the change with class. My feeling is that DE knows he is on the tail end of his career, but wants to stay connected with football as long as he can still contribute.
    • Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kyle also said that he will be the special teams coordinator unless something else changes and someone becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    A place to discuss pre-spring ball player movements, coaching changes, player tweets/instagrams, spring ball predictions, etc.

I thought I'd start it off with some points I took away from the Dave Christensen press conference:

• Dave said that the new offense will look much like last year's. Just a few added wrinkles.
    • Up tempo when things are clicking, but can't have quick 3-and-outs putting the D in bad positions.
    • Kyle and Dave stayed close after Idaho State and talked often. Their wives are good friends.
    • Kyle felt like turnover margin was the story last season on both sides of the ball.
    • Kyle said that DE took the change with class. My feeling is that DE knows he is on the tail end of his career, but wants to stay connected with football as long as he can still contribute.
    • Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kyle also said that he will be the special teams coordinator unless something else changes and someone becomes available.
    Also said Travis out for spring, will be in the mix to start if he is cleared this summer. Continues to sound like they dont expect him back.

When Kyle was talking about QB options and QB competition, he mentioned "two redshirt freshmen" and then mentioned Manning and Cox by name. No mention of Thomas. In case there was any doubt, that probably confirms what most have suspected about Thomas's future as a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    When Kyle was talking about QB options and QB competition, he mentioned "two redshirt freshmen" and then mentioned Manning and Cox by name. No mention of Thomas. In case there was any doubt, that probably confirms what most have suspected about Thomas's future as a QB.
    Let's just hope he sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    He did mention Micah a bit after that. But it did seem like an after thought.

If their public rhetoric is going to lean one way or the other in regard to Wilson, it's going to be more toward the "he's done" side of things, right? Besides preparing for the worst if he retires -- which they'd better be doing anyway -- what do they have to gain by leading the fans, boosters, media, etc. to believe he might come back? Nothing good comes from that. Whatever I'm hearing about it in the media, I'm actually assuming the outlook is a little better.

I have no inside sources, but I think it's sincerely 50/50 that he returns, but if I have to hedge, I'd increase the odds a bit that he comes back. I don't think it's as bleak as people think, but naturally everyone is being super careful. I hope I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    If their public rhetoric is going to lean one way or the other in regard to Wilson, it's going to be more toward the "he's done" side of things, right? Besides preparing for the worst if he retires -- which they'd better be doing anyway -- what do they have to gain by leading the fans, boosters, media, etc. to believe he might come back? Nothing good comes from that. Whatever I'm hearing about it in the media, I'm actually assuming the outlook is a little better.

I have no inside sources, but I think it's sincerely 50/50 that he returns, but if I have to hedge, I'd increase the odds a bit that he comes back. I don't think it's as bleak as people think, but naturally everyone is being super careful. I hope I'm right.
    As far as expectations of playing are concerned, we learned something from Jordan Wynn, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post

Wisdom would suggest that they at least prepare for him not being cleared medically.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Also said Travis out for spring, will be in the mix to start if he is cleared this summer. Continues to sound like they dont expect him back.
    But the tone also made it sound like Travis has decided that if he is cleared he will definitely come back. Many have speculated that he could/should retire even if he is medically cleared, but Kyle's tone suggested that this will not happen. If the doctors say he can play, he will play.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    I'll argue one last point and maybe try to convince you that Adam Schulz is not a very good quarterback, but he's not shitty.

In 2012 WSU gave up 163 ypg and 4.0 ypc while in 2013 they gave up 187 ypg and 4.5 ypc. Going into the game we were struggling to score points and were on the road with an inexperienced starting QB. Strategically, it was critical that against this piss poor run defense we establish the run early and let our struggling QB settle in. But we have a problem. We're trying to establish a run game out of the shotgun and a single back personnel group with a QB who cannot sell the read option to save his life. Failure to run the ball puts our struggling QB in obvious passing situations deep in our own territory early in the game. Schulz blows it big time. The issue is that we're in the situation because we couldn't run the ball (not until the end of the game when WSU went to a more prevent defense was York successful). We couldn't run the ball because our QB couldn't sell the read option. Schulz's lack of mobility- a system fit issue- put him on the ropes even before the knockout punches were delivered. Schulz isn't shitty. He played shitty because we as a team could not execute the primary component of the gameplan due to his inability to run the ball. If we have a mobile QB, even if he's the mobile QB equivalent of Hays, we execute that gameplan and win that game.
    Awesome. That was the best breakdown of Schulz I've ever read. Thanks. Great post. I learned a lot from it.

Thanks. A lot of good points and I was a bit harsh with Schulz.

I would question DT as well. We lose 3 of our top 4 rotational guys (Tenny, LT, and Hemuli).
    Now I have confidence that we will have solid interior line play based on our traditional strength at that position, but to say we will be better without seeing who will fill those holes is beyond a stretch.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Awesome. That was the best breakdown of Schulz I've ever read. Thanks. Great post. I learned a lot from it.

Thanks. A lot of good points and I was a bit harsh with Schulz.
    PS: I've been too dismissive of the the people who say that a spread can be modified to suit a mobile or passing QB. You gave some examples where it's worked. One caveat, it seems like the teams that successfully implement one of these sort of flexible spread offenses are run by offensive minded head coaches. My pessimism on us pulling it off is that there are additional constraints placed on our offense by KW which make things a lot harder.

KW wants the D to set the tone. If the D is struggling, he wants an explosive offense that can keep the team in a shoot out. When KW thinks his D has the edge, he wants an offense that can run clock and limit turnovers. Those demands basically eliminate a wishbone option offense (great for running clock, zero explosiveness) and spread to pass (explosive, can't run clock-ask Mike Leach). If KW would understand that a spread led by a mobile>passing QB is going to have limited explosivity and that a spread led by a passing>mobile QB can't start running clock with a 10 point lead midway through the third quarter, we'd be fine. I get frustrated seeing OC after OC canned and have trouble get excited about new hires when the root of the problem is still there. Without a very talented balanced pass:run QB (an improved TW) or a unusually functional 2QB system (utilizing Cox or Manning as KW's gameplan dictates), I don't see how a spread offense can satisfy Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I would question DT as well. We lose 3 of our top 4 rotational guys (Tenny, LT, and Hemuli).
    Now I have confidence that we will have solid interior line play based on our traditional strength at that position, but to say we will be better without seeing who will fill those holes is beyond a stretch.
    stevie tuikoluvatu is going to be better than any of those three. and that is not knocking those 3 at all. that says more about stevie. My hope also is to see dimick move inside and get his weight in the 285-290 range. I believe his athleticism does us more good inside. then we still have sesi ianu that would and will match anything LT or hemuli did last year.

Also, I don't think Isom will be the starter, but I wouldn't rule him out as DC has had success with two True freshman QB's. We have completely underestimated how HUGE of a hire DC is.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyute View Post
    stevie tuikoluvatu is going to be better than any of those three. and that is not knocking those 3 at all. that says more about stevie. My hope also is to see dimick move inside and get his weight in the 285-290 range. I believe his athleticism does us more good inside. then we still have sesi ianu that would and will match anything LT or hemuli did last year.
    This is how a lot of our new guys will be. This is the first year most of our guys who play will be PAC-12 players and not MWC players.

We underestimate how good of a job our coaches have done with limited talent.

I have heard Stevie's named thrown around plenty. He may end up better than that crew, but will he be there next year? That is the question.

Also, Dimick will likely always be a swing guy between de and dt. Depending on the strengths of the team we play.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 01-18-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I have heard Stevie's named thrown around plenty. He may end up better than that crew, but will he be there next year? That is the question.

Also, Dimick will likely always be a swing guy between de and dt. Depending on the strengths of the team we play.
    It is Saturdays like today that make me already miss college football. Can't wait until August.

Why wouldn't Stevie be here next year?

Why wouldn't Stevie be here next year?
    Meaning, will he be ahead of(better than) the 3 departures in 2014. Without actually playing a game in his career, that its hard to predict out the gate.
    He's may end up better over the next 3 years, but i want to see three goods before proclaiming him to be better at the start of this coming season.
    André Gide

I'm so excited to see Pita, Blechen, Paul, Scott and young play. Pita, Paul, Scott and Young are all very highly talked about and Blechen just makes plays. I think we forget how he was in the right spot at the right time. He just makes plays.

Also, we have some highly recruited TE's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I'm so excited to see Pita, Blechen, Paul, Scott and young play. Pita, Paul, Scott and Young are all very highly talked about and Blechen just makes plays. I think we forget how he was in the right spot at the right time. He just makes plays.

Also, we have some highly recruited TE's as well.
    I am excited about all those guys minus Blechan. I have given up on him. He was not good in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I am excited about all those guys minus Blechan. I have given up on him. He was not good in 2012.
    We never know when he's going to make a great play or when he's going to blow one. Plus, it seems like he's never figured out that tackling is about more than simply hitting the ballcarrier hard.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Although I follow recruiting WAY closer than I should, once the players sign, I don't get excited about them until they prove something on the field. Therefore, I am excited for Paul and Scott. I agree with HotLunch on Blechen - I hope he is a backup. As for Pita and Young, I don't believe in practice squad all-stars. My general rule is "don't count on unproven players." Sometimes unproven players are instant contributors (JWIII). But almost always, they aren't. That's why the QB position is terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Although I follow recruiting WAY closer than I should, once the players sign, I don't get excited about them until they prove something on the field. Therefore, I am excited for Paul and Scott. I agree with HotLunch on Blechen - I hope he is a backup. As for Pita and Young, I don't believe in practice squad all-stars. My general rule is "don't count on unproven players." Sometimes unproven players are instant contributors (JWIII). But almost always, they aren't. That's why the QB position is terrifying.
    Exactly this.

also echo that Isom is very Wilsonesque with the exception that I think Isom looks better keeping his eyes down field and throwing on the move than Wilson did even through his freshman year at Utah. If Isom were an early enrollee, I think he'd have a very strong chance at being the starter. that would also make life a lot easier for DC because he could implement an offense around Isom and if Wilson comes back in fall there would be little adjustment needed. Maybe they can convince him this weekend to come early.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    How do you know he's not visiting SLC for another reason?
    Take it to the bank: we are recruiting him.

did we also try to recruit max Wittek, or was he prohibited from playing in conference free and clear even though he had graduated.

Hold on, SU is on to something here. What other reasons could bring him to Salt Lake? Does he ski? Does he love choral music? Is he a salt water taffy connoisseur?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Hold on, SU is on to something here. What other reasons could bring him to Salt Lake? Does he ski? Does he love choral music? Is he a salt water taffy connoisseur?
    Possibly to catch a show at Hale Center Theatre, although I've been and there's nothing worthwhile there.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Take it to the bank: we are recruiting him.
    That certainly seems like the logical explanation for why he is in Salt Lake City for the weekend. Utah has need for a QB. QB is transferring and eligible to play the next year. QB is spending a weekend in Utah. QB has previously stated on his twitter account than he may head west to play. QB has no ties to Utah.

I think we can take it to the bank that Utah is recruiting, especially because they would be stupid to not recruit him.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

FWIW, A-Rod said on the Bill and Hans show that if he's cleared to play Wilson is the starting QB until someone beats him out.

http://espn.kall700sports.com/aaron-...coach-2-13-14/

I thought it was a surprisingly strong statement. But it's the "if" that matters.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell