Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 season football thread

The 2014 season football thread

A place to discuss pre-spring ball player movements, coaching changes, player tweets/instagrams, spring ball predictions, etc.

I thought I'd start it off with some points I took away from the Dave Christensen press conference:

• Dave said that the new offense will look much like last year's. Just a few added wrinkles.
    • Up tempo when things are clicking, but can't have quick 3-and-outs putting the D in bad positions.
    • Kyle and Dave stayed close after Idaho State and talked often. Their wives are good friends.
    • Kyle felt like turnover margin was the story last season on both sides of the ball.
    • Kyle said that DE took the change with class. My feeling is that DE knows he is on the tail end of his career, but wants to stay connected with football as long as he can still contribute.
    • Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kyle also said that he will be the special teams coordinator unless something else changes and someone becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    A place to discuss pre-spring ball player movements, coaching changes, player tweets/instagrams, spring ball predictions, etc.

I thought I'd start it off with some points I took away from the Dave Christensen press conference:

• Dave said that the new offense will look much like last year's. Just a few added wrinkles.
    • Up tempo when things are clicking, but can't have quick 3-and-outs putting the D in bad positions.
    • Kyle and Dave stayed close after Idaho State and talked often. Their wives are good friends.
    • Kyle felt like turnover margin was the story last season on both sides of the ball.
    • Kyle said that DE took the change with class. My feeling is that DE knows he is on the tail end of his career, but wants to stay connected with football as long as he can still contribute.
    • Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kyle also said that he will be the special teams coordinator unless something else changes and someone becomes available.
    Also said Travis out for spring, will be in the mix to start if he is cleared this summer. Continues to sound like they dont expect him back.

When Kyle was talking about QB options and QB competition, he mentioned "two redshirt freshmen" and then mentioned Manning and Cox by name. No mention of Thomas. In case there was any doubt, that probably confirms what most have suspected about Thomas's future as a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    When Kyle was talking about QB options and QB competition, he mentioned "two redshirt freshmen" and then mentioned Manning and Cox by name. No mention of Thomas. In case there was any doubt, that probably confirms what most have suspected about Thomas's future as a QB.
    Let's just hope he sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Also said Travis out for spring, will be in the mix to start if he is cleared this summer. Continues to sound like they dont expect him back.
    But the tone also made it sound like Travis has decided that if he is cleared he will definitely come back. Many have speculated that he could/should retire even if he is medically cleared, but Kyle's tone suggested that this will not happen. If the doctors say he can play, he will play.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    He did mention Micah a bit after that. But it did seem like an after thought.

If their public rhetoric is going to lean one way or the other in regard to Wilson, it's going to be more toward the "he's done" side of things, right? Besides preparing for the worst if he retires -- which they'd better be doing anyway -- what do they have to gain by leading the fans, boosters, media, etc. to believe he might come back? Nothing good comes from that. Whatever I'm hearing about it in the media, I'm actually assuming the outlook is a little better.

I have no inside sources, but I think it's sincerely 50/50 that he returns, but if I have to hedge, I'd increase the odds a bit that he comes back. I don't think it's as bleak as people think, but naturally everyone is being super careful. I hope I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    If their public rhetoric is going to lean one way or the other in regard to Wilson, it's going to be more toward the "he's done" side of things, right? Besides preparing for the worst if he retires -- which they'd better be doing anyway -- what do they have to gain by leading the fans, boosters, media, etc. to believe he might come back? Nothing good comes from that. Whatever I'm hearing about it in the media, I'm actually assuming the outlook is a little better.

I have no inside sources, but I think it's sincerely 50/50 that he returns, but if I have to hedge, I'd increase the odds a bit that he comes back. I don't think it's as bleak as people think, but naturally everyone is being super careful. I hope I'm right.
    As far as expectations of playing are concerned, we learned something from Jordan Wynn, methinks.

Well we picked up another QB. Jason Thompson is transferring from Wyoming (and they're pissed). No one is sure if he can play this year but with all of the QBs we have I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at another position.

I was reading elsewhere that he was recruited to University of Washington as a safety but wanted to play quarterback so he went to Wyoming. Rivals only showed him having two offers in 2012. Washington and Wyoming. It looks like he's a good athlete and would make a good safety.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post

Wisdom would suggest that they at least prepare for him not being cleared medically.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    As far as expectations of playing are concerned, we learned something from Jordan Wynn, methinks.
    boy, that is the truth.

This article claims that a record number of underclassmen declared for the draft this year. Is football changing? Will early departures soon be the norm for power programs?

http://college-football.si.com/2014/...ers/?eref=sihp

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This article claims that a record number of underclassmen declared for the draft this year. Is football changing? Will early departures soon be the norm for power programs?

http://college-football.si.com/2014/...ers/?eref=sihp
    I'm ok with early departures from NCAA. In football, you have the kid for three years. That is forever. RS the kid, a year to get his feet wet, then a year to explode. I'm okay with that.

I wonder if RS will become an easier sell to a kid if they see a lot of RS Sophomores being drafted. Gives them a year to work on their bodies and minds and avoid injuries early that can derail a career. This might end up making football a lot safer at the college level as well.

If you are only going to have them 3 years, why have them redshirt at all? better to get three years play out of them than two.

[ Quote lost]

RE: Wilson's health
    I'm glad the coaches are preparing for the worst this time. That said, I have higher hopes of Wilson returning to a productive state than I did for Wynn going into both 2011 and 2012. Wilson's vascular issue will either be fixed or not fixed. If he comes back, it will be without any residual impairment or any increased risk for sequelae from his condition. For Wynn's shoulder injuries, impairment was a certainty as was increased risk for reinjury. For Wynn, there was no way to return his shoulder back to "factory", but for Wilson, there is a good chance that he will be healthier than before the condition was discovered. That's a big difference to me.

Wilner doesn't like our chances next season:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...ivision-races/
    It's kind of hard to find anyone who does.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Wilner doesn't like our chances next season:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...ivision-races/
    And it is hard to argue with his rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    If you are only going to have them 3 years, why have them redshirt at all? better to get three years play out of them than two.
    Why redshirt them? Brian John, Jordan Wynn, Travis Wilson. There are three reasons to redshirt true freshmen. Their bodies aren't ready for college football. Some kids are ready for college football and they are getting paid by the SEC to play. Good for them. Most aren't. Redshirting allows a kid to grow physically and mentally and get them ready for college football.

Like I said, if you can show a kid that by redshirting they can be better prepared and protect their bodies, this might be a good thing for college football.

Wilner is just being a douche. Let's put it this way:

Last year we won 5 games. We won 4 before Wilson was hurt, then one after than. During our hurt Wilson streak, we could have won the USC, ASU, WSU and Arizona games with half a QB. If Wilson doesn't get healthy, we win at least one of those three games (WSU for sure. Schulz handed WSU 14 points...and we lost by 11).

Fast forward to this year. We lose Reilly, which is HUGE. BUT, we should be better everywhere else on defense. Orchard should be better, our tackles should improve, our LB's WILL be better and same goes for our secondary. We will have depth at every defensive position.

Defensively, we will be better.

Now onto the offense. Christensen is a fantastic OC. If anyone argues differently, they are dumb. He immediately upgrades the WR, TE, and OL positions with his schemes, coaching and track record. WR will be deeper, RB will be deeper, OL will be deeper. BUT, our biggest weakness is still our QB.

Now, I have been a Wilson homer, but reality is, even with Utah at 4-2, he was a little better than average. Would it be a stretch to think that Manning or Cox couldn't replicate what Wilson did? I bet they could. So, if they can replicate what Wilson did in his second year, in their second year, then we will be bowling.

I don't get why everyone is so down on Utah. Everyone talked about how crappy Wilson was playing last year, but now everyone is talking about how Manning and Cox have no chance to play at Wilson's level...I don't get it.

If Wilson doesn't get hurt, we go bowling. We are in the same spot we were this year: a second year QB, a tough schedule, a tough defense...but there are two major differences:

1 - Our Offensive coaches are better.

2 - We won't have a walk-on QB backing up our QB.

I would be shocked if we don't go bowling last year and I don't get why everyone is so down on Utah.

"In the 2007 season, Christensen's offense used this scheme to good effect by scoring a school record 558 points. Additionally, Missouri ranked fifth in total offensive yards (490.29 per game), eighth in scoring offense (39.86 points per game), and ninth in passing yards (314.07 per game). The same season propelled Chase Daniel to Heisman finalist status. Martin Rucker and Jeremy Maclin were named consensus All-Americans, making it the first time two Tigers were named as such in the same season. Christensen himself was a finalist for the Broyles Award and Rivals.com named him as the Offensive Coordinator of the Year.[2]"

His QB's at Wyoming: Austyn Carter Samuels - a true freshman. He had a great season for a true freshman
    Then he had Brett Smith as a true freshman as well.

He will start off with QB's better than two kids as true freshman. Manning and Cox are both PAC-12 QB's and better QB's than Samuels and Smith at the same point in their careers. Why can't he do the same with them? And if he does, we will win more than 6 games.

Buck up Ute fans, things are looking up.

Wilner is probably the most dialed Pac-12 blogger there is. He gives great insight and when I want to read something well written non-homer info about the Pac-12, he is who I go to. I wouldn't start saying he is being douchey. He is calling a spade a spade right now.

So, do you think our defense will be worse than it was last year?

Do you think it is highly unlikely that Manning or Cox can't replicate what Wilson did last year?

Do you think we make a bowl game if Wilson doesn't get hurt?

So, if our defense should be better, if Manning/Cox can do what Wilson did, and if both can replicate what Wilson did, and the odds of both getting hurt are extremely low, why would that make us worse than Colorado?

I like Wilner, but this article is a joke. We will be better at every position, we get a Michigan team that isn't that great right now, and USC and Oregon at home in the cold.

We should beat Idaho St, Fresno St, Washington State (and don't give me that "they beat us crap." We won't have a walk-on QB that spots them 14 next year), and Colorado. That is 4 wins.

We should be in these games: Michigan, UCLA, Oregon St, USC, ASU, Stanford, Arizona.

We have a 99% chance of losing to Oregon.

As tough as our schedule is next year, we only have one "guaranteed" loss. We can beat every other team. We are better than 4 of those teams. That means out of 7 games that are winnable, we only need two wins to beat our record this year.

We will be better at every position next year. Why couldn't the one point loss to ASU be a win? Or the game where we threw 6 picks? Or 3 picks? Or a pick six to start the game?

Lazy by Wilner. Or doing it on purpose to drive up clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Buck up Ute fans, things are looking up.
    I like to be optimistic, but the hard-to-explain underperformance of so many aspects of the program, including a series of decisions from the top that make us go , have made a lot of fans very cautious. Still, I hope you are right and that next year at this time we are all reflecting on a bowl win.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-17-2014 at 07:44 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    So, do you think our defense will be worse than it was last year?

Do you think it is highly unlikely that Manning or Cox can't replicate what Wilson did last year?

Do you think we make a bowl game if Wilson doesn't get hurt?

So, if our defense should be better, if Manning/Cox can do what Wilson did, and if both can replicate what Wilson did, and the odds of both getting hurt are extremely low, why would that make us worse than Colorado?

I like Wilner, but this article is a joke. We will be better at every position, we get a Michigan team that isn't that great right now, and USC and Oregon at home in the cold.

We should beat Idaho St, Fresno St, Washington State (and don't give me that "they beat us crap." We won't have a walk-on QB that spots them 14 next year), and Colorado. That is 4 wins.

We should be in these games: Michigan, UCLA, Oregon St, USC, ASU, Stanford, Arizona.

We have a 99% chance of losing to Oregon.

As tough as our schedule is next year, we only have one "guaranteed" loss. We can beat every other team. We are better than 4 of those teams. That means out of 7 games that are winnable, we only need two wins to beat our record this year.

We will be better at every position next year. Why couldn't the one point loss to ASU be a win? Or the game where we threw 6 picks? Or 3 picks? Or a pick six to start the game?

Lazy by Wilner. Or doing it on purpose to drive up clicks.
    I'm not convinced the D will be improved. We lose our best DB (by far), out best interior lineman (by far), and our best DE/LB (by far). Two of those guys will get drafted and all three might. Yes everyone should improve, but I don't see the talent to replace Reilly or McGill (I now trust Kyle to patch the interior of the D-line.

Also, I would be shocked if one of our freshmen QBs can replicate Wilson's production. Freshmen QBs are extremely unreliable (Wilson was bad as a freshman). I think our only hope for improving next year is if Wilson comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I like to be optimistic, but the hard-to-explain underperformance of so many aspects of the program, including a series of decisions from the top that make us go , have made a lot of fans very cautious. Still, I hope you are right and that next year at this time we are all reflecting on a bowl win.
    I don't think it's so hard to explain. We haven't had a QB stay healthy in years, and we lost our three best offensive players to injury this year.

Again, we were one play away in any number of games from never having this type of conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Wilner is probably the most dialed Pac-12 blogger there is. He gives great insight and when I want to read something well written non-homer info about the Pac-12, he is who I go to. I wouldn't start saying he is being douchey. He is calling a spade a spade right now.
    All reporters have biases, and all local reporters have some homerism. Wilner is no exception. But, yes, this prediction is justifiable.

The variety pack of Cox, Manning, and Thomas puts DC in a really, really hard position trying to install his offense when he has three QB's who are each suited to running a different type of offense. Additionally, DC goes in without being particularly familiar with their individual skillsets. This can't be minimized; this is an extremely huge challenge that DC is presented with and it is the result of a pattern of completely directionless QB recruiting. Oh, and add to that, TW might return and cause DC to make large adjustments to his partially installed offense when fall camp comes around. We were already facing some very difficult challenges to our offensive system when TW went down, and adding a new OC at this time only makes things more complicated.

This isn't DC's fault, but it's his burden and it's a very large one.