Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 season football thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was just teasing AJ for his malaprop.
    I wondered what that was about. I must have missed the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, Tonga is the new Dres. He doesn't stretch the field hortzontally like Dres, but hopefully he'll occupy some linebackers.
    I like the rolling pockets they executed last week. That helps to stretch things horizontally, and gives you options on the back side for screens and whatnot if the defense over commits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This team gave me hope last weekend, being satisfied with the 10-15 yard outs instead of incompleted homeruns. I realize that we need long throws now and again to stretch the field, but our midrange game is how we'll keep winning games.
    yep. Offense needs sustained drives that eat up time and keep the other QB on the bench. We won't be winning in shootouts this year.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    yep. Offense needs sustained drives that eat up time and keep the other QB on the bench. We won't be winning in shootouts this year.
    Those teams in shootouts are mostly just going short-to-mid range with the pass game too. They are just better at it, and they manage to turn their midrange catches into big plays on occasion.

I was just teasing AJ for his malaprop.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I wondered what that was about. I must have missed the original.
    Suddenly you understand.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Bummer. But, next man up.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Those teams in shootouts are mostly just going short-to-mid range with the pass game too. They are just better at it, and they manage to turn their midrange catches into big plays on occasion.
    Fair enough. I don't see us doing that either.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Fair enough. I don't see us doing that either.
    Yeah, especially not without Dres. It hadn't really happened yet this season, but he was great with yards after the catch last year.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, especially not without Dres. It hadn't really happened yet this season, but he was great with yards after the catch last year.
    I think I got it. AJ said "all of THE sudden" instead of "all of a sudden".

LA used "all intensive purposes" to bust his chops.

Unfortunately, AJ's malaprop was't even a blimp on the radar for most readers.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-29-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I think I got it. AJ said "all of THE sudden" instead of "all of a sudden".

LA used "all intensive purposes" to bust his chops.

U fortunately, AJ's malaprop was't even a blimp on the radar for most readers.
    That's the malapropism? Sorry, LA, I got this one: http://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.co...f-what-sudden/

Summary: All of a sudden is the standard idiom in contemporary English. All of the sudden is a newer non-standard variant that does not appear to be geographically localized. Interestingly, the sudden is the original form if you go back to the 1500s.
    I'm both hipper and more original, while still being historically accurate!

"All of a sudden" reads like British English to me. I guess having lived mostly in downstate Illinois and Utah will do that.

I think "all of the sudden" is a fantastic idiom that lends itself, by being sort of a vocalized dramatic pause, to a more theatrical telling of a story. Suddenly falls short in this respect.
    Last edited by jrj84105; 10-29-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Back to football, I thought we had a few successful plays in the second half of the USC game passing out of a two TE set. Maybe some more of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    That's the malapropism? Sorry, LA, I got this one: http://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.co...f-what-sudden/

I'm both hipper and more original, while still being historically accurate!
    I disagree with you irregardless.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    Back to football, I thought we had a few successful plays in the second half of the USC game passing out of a two TE set. Maybe some more of this?
    I was really pleased to see some creativity Saturday night. I'm excited to see what Christiansen comes up with for ASU.

--Yeats

He'll be our main offensive threat, for all intensive purposes.
    Booker is an intensive runner.

Things will be more tense without Dres.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I was really pleased to see some creativity Saturday night. I'm excited to see what Christiansen comes up with for ASU.
    I agree. The changes they made for USC filled me with hope.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Booker is an intensive runner.

Things will be more tense without Dres.
    All of the sudden this situation is making some you look downright ignerent. You're responding on the spurt of the moment. As for me, I have failed to recognize the difference between a malaprop and an eggcorn.

--Yeats

No, it doesn’t seem like Utah can win the Pac-12 South, but the fact that we’re talking about this at all shows that the Utes have outpaced expectations so far, and an epic November is not out of the realm of possibility.
    http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-footb...-pac-12-south/

--Yeats

Decent read on TCU's prolific offense this year.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/tc...boykin-big-12/

So much for Louisville beating FSU. Jameis Winston does it again.

Too bad both teams couldn't lose.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    is there any doubt he is living right on and off the field

Haha! None. He's very blessed!

The 2014 season football thread

Pretty spicy article here on ESPN's SEC bias.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...ayoff-20141028

(Hat tip: PAC-12 Hoops, a great blog to follow.)

http://pachoops.com/2014/10/three-fo...nkings-murray/
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-31-2014 at 08:45 AM.

--Yeats

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I know it ain't happening but I was looking at Tiebreakers for if Utah wins out and ASU loses to Arizona and either USC or UCLA wins out (both distinct possibilities)

If its a tie between Utah, USC and ASU - ASU wins by virtue of beating the other two teams.

If its a tie between Utah, UCLA and ASU Utah would win because we would have only one divisional loss. If ASU lost to Oregon st or Wazzu instead of Ariz they would be divisional champs because UCLA is eliminated and then they beat us.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Utes stay at 17 in the playoff top 25. ASU at 9 and the Ducks at 4.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Utes stay at 17 in the playoff top 25. ASU at 9 and the Ducks at 4.
    http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?story...79&src=desktop

I love being in this conversation. Looking forward to Saturday's matchup. Rice Eccles is going to be a great place to be and should erupt for the team.

I would really like to hear the fans yell out "UUUUUUUUUUUU" the whole time that the ducks are on offense. That's what Autzen does )"OOOOOOOO") and it is loud and annoying and disruptive.

I just really like this Mariota kid; though, in different ways, remind me a bit of Andrew Luck.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...l#incart_river