Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 season football thread

Apologies if this is not new news, but it sounds like we got a transfer in from South Carolina, DB Ahmad Christian.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Micah Thomas to transfer.

I think duel threat QBs who can't play QB should be made into CBs, not WRs. Wide receiver is too tough a position to learn.

NFL teams keep trying to turn QBs into WRs, and it doesn't work. They try the same with RBs, and that doesn't work either. Why don't these NFL teams just draft WRs if they want WRs?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Micah Thomas to transfer.
    Is that supposed to be a surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Is that supposed to be a surprise?
    Sorry, has everyone known forever? I just found out. If you know, post it so I can know too. I'm not a Rivals/Scout subscriber.

Anyway, I think we all knew it was a possibility. I was hoping he would stay and adapt to a new position.

Sorry, has everyone known forever? I just found out. If you know, post it so I can know too. I'm not a Rivals/Scout subscriber.

Anyway, I think we all knew it was a possibility. I was hoping he would stay and adapt to a new position.
    I had no idea (although I always thought it was likely given his desire to play qb). A lot of bad transfer news so far this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    A lot of bad transfer news so far this off season.
    If the new guys from Oklahoma and South Carolina pan out, we might still have a net gain. And the USU guy too.

I didn't mean that it was not new news, but given his desire to play QB I am not surprised to see him transfer. But from reports he had potential at WR. So it is always a little disappointing to hear of someone leaving the program.

You mean I am not the only one in the "I dont pay any money to read what Brandon Gurney level fan boys have to say about our team, I am more than happy to wait for the SL trib to break recruiting news." Club? Cool!!

As for Thomas........I was hoping he could stick. Was thinking Safety might be his eventual spot. But, i wish him the best.

Is it just me, or does Kyle do too much of this -- signing up athletes who really want to play QB but are long shots ever to play at that position?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Is it just me, or does Kyle do too much of this -- signing up athletes who really want to play QB but are long shots ever to play at that position?
    This strategy has been HUGELY beneficial to Utah over the years. McBride developed it (he'd just sign 10 running backs every class and hope that a few of them could learn to be LBs/DBs), but Whit perfected it. It's a great way to get more athleticism on your squad by recruiting guys that should be signing with better schools, but those schools have told them in no uncertain terms that QB is not in their future.

However, I do wonder if the strategy (let's call it the DeShawn Crockett strategy) has run its course. Big schools have wised-up: now for top-tier athletes they just do the same thing ("sure, you can try out for QB"); second, the transfer market is a real thing now, so you can't just tell kids, "well, QB didn't work out, now you're stuck with us"; and third, other non-elite teams have learned from our example (screw you, TCU!).

This strategy has been HUGELY beneficial to Utah over the years. McBride developed it (he'd just sign 10 running backs every class and hope that a few of them could learn to be LBs/DBs), but Whit perfected it. It's a great way to get more athleticism on your squad by recruiting guys that should be signing with better schools, but those schools have told them in no uncertain terms that QB is not in their future.

However, I do wonder if the strategy (let's call it the DeShawn Crockett strategy) has run its course. Big schools have wised-up: now for top-tier athletes they just do the same thing ("sure, you can try out for QB"); second, the transfer market is a real thing now, so you can't just tell kids, "well, QB didn't work out, now you're stuck with us"; and third, other non-elite teams have learned from our example (screw you, TCU!).
    You've articulated my question (really just a mixed gripe/musing the way I said it) much better than I did.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Actually no, IMO. We have had several very good players come through here who initially signed as athletes who wanted a shot at QB but were good enough to play (and play quite well) at other positions if QB didn't work out. Micah Thomas didn't buy in, but many others have and it has worked out well. Paul Kruger, Chad Manis, DeVonte Christopher, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Actually no, IMO. We have had several very good players come through here who initially signed as athletes who wanted a shot at QB but were good enough to play (and play quite well) at other positions if QB didn't work out. Micah Thomas didn't buy in, but many others have and it has worked out well. Paul Kruger, Chad Manis, DeVonte Christopher, etc.
    I think I was just in a bad mood this morning.

--Yeats

Not one of the transfers this off-season was going to be a starter, but several would have been in the 2 deep this year and a couple had the chance to become starters a year or 2 from now. I wish all had stayed, but I think the net upside is greater with the guys we gained than with the guys we lost.

LT Filiaga JR - LB; graduate transfer. He was destined to be behind Paul and Norris in the inside. I predict he will be a starter at USU.
    VJ Fehoko SR - LB; graduate transfer. Same as Filiaga. I doubt he sees a lot of time at Texas Tech.
    T Still JR LB; Was never going to crack the 2 deep but was a valuable special teams player. Playing baseball at Dixie.
    T Morris SR S; graduate transfer. had a few starts and was valuable on special teams. Will start at Weber.
    J Smith SR CB; had a few starts and was valuable on special teams.
    J Oliver JR RB; Injury problems never allowed him to play.
    H Corporan So CB/S; I think he had a chance to be a starter in a year or 2; will play at Sam Houston St.
    L Radley SR RB graduate transfer; great contributor on and off the field. I wish him nothing but the best at SDSU.
    M Thomas RSFr QB; great athlete. Will be interesting to see where he ends up and what he does.

Transfers in:

G Paul JR LB (Miami) - set to start prior to injury
    J Fanaika JR DE (USU) - will start or be major contributor on DL
    J Thompson JR QB (WYO) - will sit out this year and I see him at safety not QB
    K Thompson JR QB (Okla) - will be in mix for QB position
    A Christian JR CB (SC) - will be in mix to start if he can play this year.
    Last edited by UTEopia; 06-11-2014 at 08:17 PM.

TCU did that a lot too.

I think the working theory behind it is that they are the best players on their HS team - not just the best athletes. Because they played QB, they understand the game to the point where that knowledge can translate to any position.

Edit: and what the Applejack said too.

I think I was just in a bad mood this morning.

clearly you forgot to take your anti-snark meds today.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    clearly you forgot to take your anti-snark meds today.
    You're not helping.

--Yeats

I need some clarity on the rules here. Having redshirted, doesn't MT have to transfer down to FCS or lower in order to play right away/not burn a year of eligibility?

You're not helping.
    Double up. That will help.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I need some clarity on the rules here. Having redshirted, doesn't MT have to transfer down to FCS or lower in order to play right away/not burn a year of eligibility?
    Pretty much. He can either go FCS and play right away or can go FBS, sit in 2014 and then have 3 to play 3. I guess he can also go JC for a year and then move on as a 3/3.

Pretty much. He can either go FCS and play right away or can go FBS, sit in 2014 and then have 3 to play 3. I guess he can also go JC for a year and then move on as a 3/3.
    I believe he would have to earn his Associates Degree for the JC scenario to work (if I'm remembering right if you transfer from a 4 year to a JC you have to graduate before going to another 4 year)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I believe he would have to earn his Associates Degree for the JC scenario to work (if I'm remembering right if you transfer from a 4 year to a JC you have to graduate before going to another 4 year)
    I think you're right and I assume he would be well positioned to do that.

For those pathetic souls who follow recruiting, you may remember Jonrhyeem Peoples, a DT from Idaho. In 2012, he gave a verbal commitment to BYU, then the next day he either committed to Utah or just said "he was interested," after which he then reverted back to his BYu commitment. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ng.html?pg=all

Well, he has been released from his scholarship at the Y due to a mixture of body fat and grades, apparently. And now he says

"If Utah wanted to offer me, then they’d probably get me, to be honest."
    Question is, do we offer him?

P.S. After his decommitment, he made a creepy youtube video burning a printout of the U logo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1g...utu.be&t=4m16s

Yes. If we get him, and he's good, it will great to add his name to a list of former BYU commits who have helped us. It's worth the risk of the body fat issue.

OK, if I am Kyle and I watch this, do I want a diva like this on the team?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB1g...utu.be&t=4m16s

--Yeats

For those pathetic souls who follow recruiting, you may remember Jonrhyeem Peoples, a DT from Idaho. In 2012, he gave a verbal commitment to BYU, then the next day he either committed to Utah or just said "he was interested," after which he then reverted back to his BYu commitment. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ng.html?pg=all

Well, he has been released from his scholarship at the Y due to a mixture of body fat and grades, apparently. And now he says

No, people who are a lot smarter than me maintain that we have something like 10 DL on the roster better than him and he is not worth the headache. I've even heard we dodged a bullet when he declined Utah's offer. At most I'd offer him a chance to walk-on knowing that there would be little invested in him in the event you have to cut him, but it doesn't sound like that's even likely.

Yes. If we get him, and he's good, it will great to add his name to a list of former BYU commits who have helped us. It's worth the risk of the body fat issue.
    We should probably start a thread that is just a list of names of former BYU commits who have led the Utes to fame and glory:

Star Lotulelei
    Jake Murphy
    Johnryeem Peoples?

No, people who are a lot smarter than me maintain that we have something like 10 DL on the roster better than him and he is not worth the headache. I've even heard we dodged a bullet when he declined Utah's offer. At most I'd offer him a chance to walk-on knowing that there would be little invested in him in the event you have to cut him, but it doesn't sound like that's even likely.
    I don't doubt it. I never question Kyle's evaluation of DT talent. I have no idea who will fill the middle next year, but I'm not worried.

Borrowing a term from Krysko's recruiting philosophy -- he says "We don't want any turds" -- I'd be worried about this kid.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-12-2014 at 03:07 PM.

--Yeats

Borrowing a term from Krysko's recruiting philosophy -- he says "We don't want any turds," I'd be worried about this kid.
    You're just mad he wasted paper in that youtube video.