Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 season football thread

The only memory I will keep of People's is when he committed to Utah and Brandon Gurney threw an EPIC tantrum in the D News...........to the point that he edited it three or four times until People's recommitted to BYU that same day.

I called it that day; this kid wont stick. If I am Utah, I avoid him.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I don't doubt it. I never question Kyle's evaluation of DT talent. I have no idea who will fill the middle next year, but I'm not worried.
    Sam Tevi 6'5" 305
    steve tuikoluvatu 6'1" 320
    lowell lotuleli 6'2" 310
    Pasoni Tasini 6'3" 280
    Seni Faounuku 5'11" 280
    felipo Mokofisi 6'3" 285
    allen haveli-katoa 6'3" 310

Most important player: Utah

This ESPN writer thinks it's Kenneth Scott. He makes a good case.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Okay. So what's going on with Harvey Langi? In April, it's reported that he has asked to be switched to defense. Today the Deseret News reports that as soon as he gets home from his mission, he's headed to Provo to meet with Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Okay. So what's going on with Harvey Langi? In April, it's reported that he has asked to be switched to defense. Today the Deseret News reports that as soon as he gets home from his mission, he's headed to Provo to meet with Bronco.

He's been submitted to 2 years of arm twisting.

His parents do not want him to go to BYU, they made that obvious. I say wait till he's actually home and see what happens. It's obvious there's been tampering going on...which is why Kyle's refusing to release him (BYU is trying to claim a loophole to get him without a release)

I hope he stays, mostly for selfish reasons as a fan.

But I also hope he stays for his own sake. There is so much of value at the U that cannot be found in Provo, and the inverse just isn't true. There are 5 good reasons for someone to go to BYU - (1) money (2) $$$ (3) dinero (4) green (5) moolah. As a scholarship athlete, none of those reasons should matter to Harvey.

Listen to your Mom, Harvey, and stop listening to your dorky mission buddies.

Although I would like to see Harvey return to the U, I do not think he will ever be a game changer. I do think he can be a contributor. I really think this is more about PR. I think it is bad PR to simply refuse to release him. I would tell the press that I consider Harvey a Ute until he meets face-to-face with the coaches and players and explains what he wants to do and asks for a release. Until Harvey does this, the U has no decision to make respecting a release. I think this is reasonable and should be expected of anyone who wants a release.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Although I would like to see Harvey return to the U, I do not think he will ever be a game changer. I do think he can be a contributor. I really think this is more about PR. I think it is bad PR to simply refuse to release him. I would tell the press that I consider Harvey a Ute until he meets face-to-face with the coaches and players and explains what he wants to do and asks for a release. Until Harvey does this, the U has no decision to make respecting a release. I think this is reasonable and should be expected of anyone who wants a release.
    Not sure if you read the article, but Kyle is on vacation and the reporter called him there. I don't think it's a final decision, but rather a "he's a Ute as of now" response.

I know you almost always side with the athlete, but in these situations I can see why a release wouldn't be granted. It's 2 months before the first game, and your player is in the media telling everyone he's going to another school....and his mission president has admitted being a go between between the athlete and BYU. And the other school is already saying they have a "loophole" in place so they don't have to get a release.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Not sure if you read the article, but Kyle is on vacation and the reporter called him there. I don't think it's a final decision, but rather a "he's a Ute as of now" response.

I know you almost always side with the athlete, but in these situations I can see why a release wouldn't be granted. It's 2 months before the first game, and your player is in the media telling everyone he's going to another school....and his mission president has admitted being a go between between the athlete and BYU. And the other school is already saying they have a "loophole" in place so they don't have to get a release.
    Since you brought up BYU's little loop hole, this kid was on scholarship for a year, took classes and is in the record books having x number of carries for x number of yards. I don't get where a LOI would ever come into play at this point. Isn't suiting up and collecting stats a sort of letter of intent? I would assume that this situation would be similar to that of your high school transcripts only mattering until the end of your first semester of university.

I know you almost always side with the athlete
    I have been on record as siding with whatever helps my team the most.

This is the quote from the DNews article: "As far as I'm concerned, he's a Ute," he told me. "I'm not releasing him."

This article was so poorly done all away around. It looks bad on Vai, the Des News, Langi's Mission President and BYU. At the end of the day if Harvey wants to leave the program then good luck. I would love to have him stay. This article was so poorly done and Vai, Langi and his Mission President really went about this all wrong if they are trying to get him to play for the Y.

This is the quote from the DNews article: "As far as I'm concerned, he's a Ute," he told me. "I'm not releasing him."
    Yup. And given all the information we have I feel that's a fair and accurate stance.

The only contact he's had is from the mission president who's openly said he wants Langi at BYU.

Kyle's response is exactly as it should be for a coach who hasn't even talked to his player.

The PR problem here is not Utah's IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    This article was so poorly done all away around. It looks bad on Vai, the Des News, Langi's Mission President and BYU. At the end of the day if Harvey wants to leave the program then good luck. I would love to have him stay. This article was so poorly done and Vai, Langi and his Mission President really went about this all wrong if they are trying to get him to play for the Y.
    I totally agree with this.
    The kid should be able to attend & play wherever he wants (assuming they want him), but there are procedures in place for doing this. Just let the kid get home before making any decisions.

vai is ridiculous. I remember when he ripped utah for playing on general conference Saturday.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I totally agree with this.
    The kid should be able to attend & play wherever he wants (assuming they want him), but there are procedures in place for doing this. Just let the kid get home before making any decisions.
    The rule should be universal across the FBS teams, and it should be free transfers with a year sit down to any school not on a future schedule. That's plenty generous to the students while still providing incentive to stay and discouraging active recruiting from the coaches most likely to know and have contact with the students. If it were a division wide rule, we wouldn't always have to hear the media rip apart a coach/AD/university who won't grant a release.
    Last edited by sancho; 07-08-2014 at 08:49 AM.

If Bronco and the BYU program are wiling to participate in this circus and really want Harvey badly, that says more about the state of the BYU program than about anything else.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If Bronco and the BYU program are wiling to participate in this circus and really want Harvey badly, that says more about the state of the BYU program than about anything else.

I agree with you. If I was the U, here is what my release policy would be:

There will be no consideration of a release until a request is made in a face-to-face meeting between the student-athlete and the head coach. There will be no discussion of potential releases with any third party or the media.

The head coach, at his/ her discretion, may ask the student-athlete to meet with a selected group of student-athletes to receive their input on the request and shall consider the requesting student's willingness or unwillingness to do so in making a determination regarding the release. The head coach, at his/her discretion can consider many factors in deciding whether to grant a release, including whether the requesting student would like for a release to a school that is on the schedule during the requesting student's remaining eligibility.

With respect to LDS missionaries. The U will not have contact with student-athletes who signed letters of intent or enrolled and received scholarship money, either directly or indirectly, while they are serving their mission. The U will not meet with a student-athlete who signed a letter of intent or enrolled and received scholarship money as a student-athlete prior to his/her mission, or a representative of that student-athlete until that student-athlete has completed his/her mission and either obtained a release from the prior institution or made a request for a release in a face-to-face meeting with the head coach.

I understand that this might place the U at a disadvantage, but I think it is the right policy.

But BYU has always been willing to participate in this circus. 3 of their past 4 QBs were mission grabs, including the current starter. This how it has always been, and it will not ever be different.

I think Langi has a lot of reasons to leave:

1) He wants to be a RB, but Utah wants him to be a DE.
    2) He's worried about playing time at Utah.
    3) He wants to play for Kyle, but he's been hearing all kinds of talk about Kyle getting fired.
    4) His best friends right now are mission buddies who are going to BYU.
    5) He is apparently getting encouraging phone calls from a "friend" in the BYU media.
    6) He has a mission president who very much wants him to play for BYU.

You take 1 or 2 of those factors alone, and he probably makes the right call to stay. Put them all together, and it's easy to see why he's going.

I agree with you. If I was the U, here is what my release policy would be:

There will be no consideration of a release until a request is made in a face-to-face meeting between the student-athlete and the head coach. There will be no discussion of potential releases with any third party or the media.

The head coach, at his/ her discretion, may ask the student-athlete to meet with a selected group of student-athletes to receive their input on the request and shall consider the requesting student's willingness or unwillingness to do so in making a determination regarding the release. The head coach, at his/her discretion can consider many factors in deciding whether to grant a release, including whether the requesting student would like for a release to a school that is on the schedule during the requesting student's remaining eligibility.

With respect to LDS missionaries. The U will not have contact with student-athletes who signed letters of intent or enrolled and received scholarship money, either directly or indirectly, while they are serving their mission. The U will not meet with a student-athlete who signed a letter of intent or enrolled and received scholarship money as a student-athlete prior to his/her mission, or a representative of that student-athlete until that student-athlete has completed his/her mission and either obtained a release from the prior institution or made a request for a release in a face-to-face meeting with the head coach.

I understand that this might place the U at a disadvantage, but I think it is the right policy.

Very good stuff. I have no problem with Langi wanting to transfer. But that process needs to happen after he gets home and gets his feet under him.

I have a serious problem with BYU or "agents" of BYU (whether they be mission presidents or not) manipulating in any way a kid while he is on his mission to go to BYU. The mission field is becoming BYU's most fertile recruiting ground (See e.g. Taysom Hill).

If you have ever been on a mission, you understand how easy it is for a leadership person to "gently encourage" a missionary to do what said leader wants.

Utah Utes QB Travis Wilson glad to be back after health scare

It sounds like he is making up the practice time he lost...

I would impose a cost on the Y. I would not schedule games beyond 2018 if they are going to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I would impose a cost on the Y. I would not schedule games beyond 2018 if they are going to do this.
    I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I really think the P12 needs to do something. Tell BYU that they will cancel all future games and not schedule any more until BYU agrees to be bound to the P12's transfer rules, at least for players who are on missions or who have not re-joined the P12 team post-mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I really think the P12 needs to do something. Tell BYU that they will cancel all future games and not schedule any more until BYU agrees to be bound to the P12's transfer rules, at least for players who are on missions or who have not re-joined the P12 team post-mission.
    great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    But BYU has always been willing to participate in this circus. 3 of their past 4 QBs were mission grabs, including the current starter. This how it has always been, and it will not ever be different.
    I was mainly referring to Harvey's lackluster performance when he played for Utah. BYU's going to all this trouble to get a player like him to transfer? Maybe they need him. We don't really need him. Speaks volumes about where their program is.

I do think the church should let mission presidents know they should stay out of athlete-missionaries' decisions. For that matter, I think mission presidents have no business advising their missionaries about individual life choices post-mission. Like Two Utes said, missionaries are often ridiculously malleable at that point in their lives.

--Yeats

The early 2014 season football thread

I was mainly referring to Harvey's lackluster performance when he played for Utah. BYU's going to all this trouble to get a player like him to transfer? Maybe they need him. We don't really need him. Speaks volumes about where their program is.

I do think the church should let mission presidents know they should stay out of athlete-missionaries' decisions. For that matter, I think mission presidents have no business advising their missionaries about individual life choices post-mission. Like Two Utes said, missionaries are often ridiculously malleable at that point in their lives.
    They probably shouldn't be "agents" either. That's what this guy basically did by being the spokesperson and contacting both coaching staffs (and why is he talking to the media (which is a stretch with vai))

He was heavily recruited and only played one year. Who knows how good he can be? I would love to see if Kyle and Co can make him a great DE.

If you told me a former 4 star guy was transferring to Utah after a rough freshman year, I'd be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    If you have ever been on a mission, you understand how easy it is for a leadership person to "gently encourage" a missionary to do what said leader wants.
    This is a very diplomatic way of putting it.

NCAA transfer rules are ridiculous. If a kid gets a chemistry scholarship at another school, he doesn't have to avoid chemistry classes for a year.
    LDS mission rules are ridiculous too. The kid's in Florida, not in outer Uzbekistan. A lot of this crap could have been straightened out with e-mail, a few phone calls, or maybe a brief visit home to prepare the way for the kid's fall semester.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He was heavily recruited and only played one year. Who knows how good he can be? I would love to see if Kyle and Co can make him a great DE.

If you told me a former 4 star guy was transferring to Utah after a rough freshman year, I'd be thrilled.
    I wouldn't be thrilled. I'd just say "Good, maybe he'll become something great at Utah." But I see what you are saying.

Are BYU fans on Cougarboard excited about possibly getting Harvey?

I like concerned's idea about making BYU pay for this, and UTEopia's proposed policy, and scratch's nuclear war attitude. (But he always wants to nuke BYU.)

BTW, I think all Kyle is saying is that Harvey's a Ute right now. I don't see him saying he'll refuse to release him, although I imagine BYU fans are already burning Kyle in effigy over this.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    T
    NCAA transfer rules are ridiculous. If a kid gets a chemistry scholarship at another school, he doesn't have to avoid chemistry classes for a year.
    But nobody cares about chemistry. I like me some transfer rules. I wish they were more clear and that decisions were out of coaches' hands.