Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 season football thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Norm Chow going 8-5 with Jon Hays as his starting QB says all I need to know about how valuable experience is with your coordinators.
    This made me re-think that old adage, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit." That was a great job by Chow.

IMO, this season hinges completely on Wilson's health.
    Whit hasn't demonstrated himself to be the best at management, but he's a great motivator. I think we'll see some exciting football this fall.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Not intended to be neener-neener at all. The Utefans.net contingent that posts here try to paint me as some Jason Franchuck dude, but I try not to troll (much) here. Just providing some context to the rumors today that Harvey was visiting other P12 schools. In Vai's article announcing Harvey's intention to transfer away from Utah, Vai included quotes from Harvey's mother saying that if he wasn't going to be at Utah, she would prefer he be at Stanford instead of BYU. With that in mind, it makes sense that Harvey was at least giving some consideration to Stanford or other schools before officially deciding on BYU.

It's all academic in any event - Harvey's mother is now quoted as saying that Harvey will be at BYU when fall camp starts.
    No, really, who are you?
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

And no one pegged Asiata for being a major contributor on offense before the season started. What Chow did with Asiata speaks to the experience you like to see with coordinators. Chow played chess with opposing defenses; Brian was trying to play checkers.

Better O-line? Any O-line with Tim Davis was going to be better than one coached by Dan Finn, another one of Kyle's questionable hires.
    Was there anyone who could have filled Asiata's shoes? If not, it would appear that Brian had checkers instead of chess pieces.

Obviously, Brian didn't have Chow's experience, but who did?
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Chow played chess with opposing defenses; Brian was trying to play checkers.
    Sadly, the other team was playing football.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You and I have very different memories of 2011.
    "They brought a bunch of new stuff we hadn't really seen, that we hadn't schemed up," linebacker Sean Westgate said. "Things that aren't hard to scheme up but it takes some communication. We weren't successful at that.
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/y...uins-utah.html

The entire second half of the season was like that. After the Cal game, our offense was JW4 running behind Asiata and play-action passing, emphasizing the vertical game. But we did it out of so many different formations, teams really couldn't prepare for it like they would have preferred.

"They brought a bunch of new stuff we hadn't really seen, that we hadn't schemed up," linebacker Sean Westgate said. "Things that aren't hard to scheme up but it takes some communication. We weren't successful at that.
    At first, I thought the quote must be from a Stanford linebacker last year.

The entire second half of the season was like that.
    Entirely coincidental that the 2nd half of the season consisted of Wazzu, CU, OSU, Arizona, and dead-in-the-water-Neuheisel UCLA.

At first, I thought the quote must be from a Stanford linebacker last year.
    Go watch the game again. Stanford had the offense completely figured out by the end of the first half. The only reason Stanford didn't complete the comeback victory is because David Shaw inexplicably went away from his power game at the end of the game.

Utah's D came up big time in the second half and made up for an ineffective Offense.

In fact, if somebody picks up the blitzing Jacoby Hale for half a second, then the pass on 4th down connects for a TD rather than sailing out of the endzone, and Utah loses the game.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Go watch the game again.
    We had 400+ yards against one of the best defenses in the nation. Only two teams scored more than our 27 vs Stanford all year (ASU and UW each got 28). That was an offensive triumph, no matter which half it came in. I can understand if people want to buy into the "BJ was a bad choice" thing, but at least give him credit where it's due.

The only reason Stanford didn't complete the comeback victory is because David Shaw inexplicably went away from his power game at the end of the game.
    You are regurgitating a popular media take on the game, but fact is Utah outplayed Stanford over 60 minutes. We are talking about one play, and Shaw opted for a pass instead of a run. It wasn't inexplicable. Utah had a great run defense and only an average pass defense. Ty Montgomery had 130 receiving yards. Nothing wrong with Shaw's play calling at the end of the game.

Go watch the game again. Stanford had the offense completely figured out by the end of the first half. The only reason Stanford didn't complete the comeback victory is because David Shaw inexplicably went away from his power game at the end of the game.

Utah's D came up big time in the second half and made up for an ineffective Offense.

In fact, if somebody picks up the blitzing Jacoby Hale for half a second, then the pass on 4th down connects for a TD rather than sailing out of the endzone, and Utah loses the game.
    we are really going to miss Jacoby Hale. I wish that kid could have stayed healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    we are really going to miss Jacoby Hale. I wish that kid could have stayed healthy.
    Now there's something we can all agree with, you peacemaker.

Not to nitpick but that was Jared Norris, if you're talking about the final play.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Not to nitpick but that was Jared Norris, if you're talking about the final play.
    Way to break up the Jacoby love fest. Now I'm gonna start bickering again.

Hope bout a power ranking of top 5 offensive showings for the Utes since joining the Pac-12, taking opponent into account? I can't think of many. We whupped Cal and WSU once. Stanford. The 54-10 game, but we were helped a lot by Heaps. The UCLA game. Sun Bowl? Oregon State loss? Man, it's slim pickin's.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Not intended to be neener-neener at all. The Utefans.net contingent that posts here try to paint me as some Jason Franchuck dude, but I try not to troll (much) here. Just providing some context to the rumors today that Harvey was visiting other P12 schools. In Vai's article announcing Harvey's intention to transfer away from Utah, Vai included quotes from Harvey's mother saying that if he wasn't going to be at Utah, she would prefer he be at Stanford instead of BYU. With that in mind, it makes sense that Harvey was at least giving some consideration to Stanford or other schools before officially deciding on BYU.

It's all academic in any event - Harvey's mother is now quoted as saying that Harvey will be at BYU when fall camp starts.
    Well, OK then.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

So harvey tells uncle vai that hes going to byu, then (per some reports) says enough to ute coaches to make them believe he will come back, sets up visits in Cal, and then goes with BYU? Someone on this thread nailed it when they said harvey was disingenuous.

You are regurgitating a popular media take on the game, but fact is Utah outplayed Stanford over 60 minutes. We are talking about one play, and Shaw opted for a pass instead of a run. It wasn't inexplicable. Utah had a great run defense and only an average pass defense. Ty Montgomery had 130 receiving yards. Nothing wrong with Shaw's play calling at the end of the game.
    You're right -- we did outplay Stanford for 60 minutes. Which makes the fact that Stanford had a chance to win at the end all the more of an indictment on the offense. We threw an interception in the red zone to start the second half, had to settle for a FG after having 1st and goal at the 3, and gained all of three yards after recovering a Stanford fumble before settling for another FG. Being very kind, we had a chance at 13 points; we got 6. Personally, I feel like we should have gotten 17 points out of those three drives. That would have made not getting a first down on our final three drives a little more easier to take.

You're right -- we did outplay Stanford for 60 minutes. Which makes the fact that Stanford had a chance to win at the end all the more of an indictment on the offense. We threw an interception in the red zone to start the second half, had to settle for a FG after having 1st and goal at the 3, and gained all of three yards after recovering a Stanford fumble before settling for another FG. Being very kind, we had a chance at 13 points; we got 6. Personally, I feel like we should have gotten 17 points out of those three drives. That would have made not getting a first down on our final three drives a little more easier to take.
    We scored more and moved the ball better against the Stanford defense than pretty much anyone last year, including teams like asu, usc, Oregon, Notre dame, and wazzu. If that performance is an indictment against our offense, you have crossed the line into insane expectations.

Say what you like about Johnson's two years, that single game was an offensive masterpiece.

Say what you like about Johnson's two years, that single game was an offensive masterpiece.
    Did I miss something. I'm pretty sure the DE was the OC last year and he was calling the plays.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    So harvey tells uncle vai that hes going to byu, then (per some reports) says enough to ute coaches to make them believe he will come back, sets up visits in Cal, and then goes with BYU? Someone on this thread nailed it when they said harvey was disingenuous.
    Weighing in on both conversations here:

1. If Harvey can handle Stanford's academics, he should go to Stanford. (Homage to Majerus here)
    2. The big "what-if" game from 2013 for me is USC. Utes would have rolled if Kiffin had still been coaching (IMO).
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Did I miss something. I'm pretty sure the DE was the OC last year and he was calling the plays.
    I thought they were co-coordinators? If not, I take it all back.

I thought they were co-coordinators? If not, I take it all back.
    I take back what I said about the Stanford game. In my rush to defend my .02 on Brian being a lousy hire, I forgot that DE was calling most of the shots last year. There's probably a post on here that I've made about how much improved the offense was from 2012 to 2013.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsby...immel.html.csp

this just keeps getting better and better.

At this point, if I am Kyle Whittingham and he tells me he wants to come back, I say no. straight up. a player of his caliber is not worth even half of the drama.

At this point, if I am Kyle Whittingham and he tells me he wants to come back, I say no. straight up. a player of his caliber is not worth even half of the drama.
    The drama doesn't cost us anything. Just give him time and encouragement and hope for the best. Drama is just part of the job with recruiting.

It's hard to think of him this way since he already played for us, but we really should think of him as a commit who is wavering just before signing day. We win some of those, and we lose some, but we don't quit on them for wavering.

Edit addition: sounds like Harvey is learning the important lesson to never trust the media.
    Last edited by sancho; 07-24-2014 at 12:11 PM.

The drama doesn't cost us anything. Just give him time and encouragement and hope for the best. Drama is just part of the job with recruiting.

It's hard to think of him this way since he already played for us, but we really should think of him as a commit who is wavering just before signing day. We win some of those, and we lose some, but we don't quit on them for wavering.

Edit addition: sounds like Harvey is learning the important lesson to never trust the media.
    There is a difference between "wavering" and not being straight forward with people. It appears Harvey is not straight forward with anyone. Blaming the media is a cop out. Doug Kimmel, Jay Drew, and the others are reputable reporters. I seriously doubt that any of them are just making stuff up.

I will say, it was a very, very poor choice (whoever made it, be it Harvey, Vai, or parents) to have Vai write that Des News article. Kid could have saved himself a world of trouble if he had just called Whitt, told him hed like to re-examine his commitment, and then figured it all out.

There is a difference between "wavering" and not being straight forward with people. It appears Harvey is not straight forward with anyone. Blaming the media is a cop out. Doug Kimmel, Jay Drew, and the others are reputable reporters. I seriously doubt that any of them are just making stuff up.

I will say, it was a very, very poor choice (whoever made it, be it Harvey, Vai, or parents) to have Vai write that Des News article. Kid could have saved himself a world of trouble if he had just called Whitt, told him hed like to re-examine his commitment, and then figured it all out.
    While that may be, anyone who has worked in a job that's highly covered by the media can tell you things rarely are printed or reported as they occurred.

It's often not the reporter making it up, but rather taking statements and molding them to the tone of what they want to report

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    While that may be, anyone who has worked in a job that's highly covered by the media can tell you things rarely are printed or reported as they occurred.

It's often not the reporter making it up, but rather taking statements and molding them to the tone of what they want to report
    well sure. I absolutely get that. Its awfully tough to mold statements into "he is going to byu" and then "that is false. he is still looking". Somewhere along the lines, conflicting info was shared. At this point, they (vai, Harvey, parents, high school coaches, etc) would be wise to not make any comment until a decision is reached.

well sure. I absolutely get that. Its awfully tough to mold statements into "he is going to byu" and then "that is false. he is still looking". Somewhere along the lines, conflicting info was shared. At this point, they (vai, Harvey, parents, high school coaches, etc) would be wise to not make any comment until a decision is reached.
    Not really. Take things out of context or only use part of the quote. Happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Not really. Take things out of context or only use part of the quote. Happens all the time.
    ok........except that both of these were direct, verbatim quotes. so..........yeah.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 07-24-2014 at 02:06 PM.

ok........except that both of these were direct, verbatim quotes. so..........yeah.
    He's just making a hard choice. Nothing disingenuous about it. He had pressure for months (years?) from a respected authority figure (and others) to do one thing. He has pressure from parents to do something else. He has pressure from cool friends and ex-teammates in SLC to go to the U and pressure from dirtbags all over Provo to do something else. He's got a weirdo coach drawing pictures of him dressed up like a son of Helaman and a normal coach giving him solid advice. He also has kccougar going through his garbage at night.

So it's not surprising at all to hear "he's going here, now he says he's going there."

I've seen people claim quotes were such....and known that wasn't true because I was there when they were given.

I don't know if the quotes are accurate or not, my point is you can never just believe a quote or statement that's presented by any media as true because it's reported.

He's just making a hard choice. Nothing disingenuous about it. He had pressure for months (years?) from a respected authority figure (and others) to do one thing. He has pressure from parents to do something else. He has pressure from cool friends and ex-teammates in SLC to go to the U and pressure from dirtbags all over Provo to do something else. He's got a weirdo coach drawing pictures of him dressed up like a son of Helaman and a normal coach giving him solid advice. He also has kccougar going through his garbage at night.

So it's not surprising at all to hear "he's going here, now he says he's going there."
    Agreed. He's being pulled in a lot of directions and he's quickly learning he can't please everyone. Hopefully the cool friends win out against the religious goons and cap-sleeve nazis.