Thread: Greatest of All Time - qb

Greatest of All Time - qb

Peyton Manning will attempt to get his second superbowl ring in three appearances this week vs. Seattle. Most of the pundants will say that by securing his second ring, he enters into the GOAT (Greatest of All Time) discussion at the QB position.

So I ask you, UB5ers, who in your opinion is the GOAT? And, by what criteria do you measure that?

I think for me it has to be John Elway. I wasn't always on board with this idea, holding up Montana's rings, Marinos yards, and just a general dislike for Elway in general. Looking back however, it seems evident to me that as a QB he possessed the complete package and played at a high level across his entire career.

I believe that Peyton Manning belongs in the discussion, as does Tom Brady...and especially if Peyton can win one this year, and possibly next year, he might elevate himself to the top of the list.

Others in the discussion should probably include but not be limited to: Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Johny Unitas, Slingin Sammy Baugh, Dan Marino. I'm sure there are many others.

Who ya got?
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 02-10-2014 at 08:40 AM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I think it's Elway. If you were to draft any player from any time and had the number 1 pick, I think most would take Elway at the end of the day.

Banned
    I grew up in Denver. For me it is John Elway without question.

Before he had any running game worth mentioning (Terrell Davis). Elway led the Broncos to three Super Bowls against the Giants, Redskins and 49ers. He took the Broncos there with a supporting cast that was completely outclassed. John Elway willed the Broncos to those Super Bowls.

When they finally got some good players around him, John's knees were not what they once had been and his mobility was limited compared to his younger self... however his knowledge of defenses and his arm (even after a ruptured bicep) were still incredible. I have never seen a will to win like he had... and it showed in Super Bowl victories over (a highly favored) Green Bay Packer team, and a year later against a strong Atlanta Falcons team.

I think having him in the mix this year as the director of football operations in Denver gives the Broncos an advantage many won't see... this guy strives to win and that attitude and drive is highly contagious.

Banned

Tom Brady is the GOAT, no question. The real question is this - if he wins a sixth super bowl, would he be considered not only the greatest football player of all-time, but, perhaps the greatest athlete of all-time?

Other contenders?....Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Michael Jordan (although I personally believe James is the best player to ever lace em up), Roger Federer, Wayne Gretzky, Ali?....others?

Personally I'd probably go with Phelps but its a difficult call.......Bolt & Gretzky have to be right there.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.