Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Basketball Transfer Watch Thread

Hybrid View

The 2014 Basketball Transfer Watch Thread

I hate doing this. I really do. But, at the University of Utah, player transfers are a part of the business. We have turned over at least 50% of our roster in every offseason since 2008. I am hoping trasnfers are minimal this year.

We know that from a numbers point, at least one transfer is necessary. If we land Jakob Poeltl, there will be two.

Guesses?

You'd have to think Fields at least considers it. I thought he was our best defender at times, but Kodiak never really nailed down a solid rotation.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    You'd have to think Fields at least considers it. I thought he was our best defender at times, but Kodiak never really nailed down a solid rotation.
    Kova, Fields, Tucker. Maybe Ogbe.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Kova, Fields, Tucker. Maybe Ogbe.
    I think he should start at PG next year and bring Taylor off the bench...maybe go with a bigger line up and use Taylor as a spark plug.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I think he should start at PG next year and bring Taylor off the bench...maybe go with a bigger line up and use Taylor as a spark plug.
    So maybe Taylor takes the leadership role from the bench? Player-coach? Taylor plays tough defense and hits big shots. We might need him on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So maybe Taylor takes the leadership role from the bench? Player-coach? Taylor plays tough defense and hits big shots. We might need him on the court.
    It happens occasionally, the 6th man is also one of the team leaders. Kind of like what Olsen gave us off the bench in a few spots this year.

Next years starting lineup will be interesting to see. Delon will be there. I think J-Love will be there. But who else?

Dallin, Brekkott, Reyes, Kuzma, Taylor, Ogbe, all could challenge to start.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Next years starting lineup will be interesting to see. Delon will be there. I think J-Love will be there. But who else?

Dallin, Brekkott, Reyes, Kuzma, Taylor, Ogbe, all could challenge to start.
    I honestly don't think we take another jump in the standings until we have players playing their position. I think if this is our main rotation come PAC-12 play next year, we will be really really good:

PG - Isaiah Wright/Taylor
    SG - Tucker/Ogbe/Chapman
    SF - Wright/Kuzma
    PF - Loveridge/Reyes
    C - Bachinski/Olsen

So, in other words, I don't know if we get any better next year.
    Last edited by Utah; 03-19-2014 at 09:14 AM.

That's crazy. Put Ogbe at the 2 and let Delon run the point.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Either way, I think if you are trying to assemble a Pac 12 caliber roster, Taylor is a guy you bring off the bench for an added spark.

I could be wrong, but I have gotten more and more discouraged with Delon as the point guard. Second half last night the worst. How many times did the color guy say in the first half that Wagner would not be able to keep up with Wright and that Wright should be able to get to the rim and score at will? Never happened, except on a couple of turnover breakaways where Wright got a charge call. In the half court set, he never tries to penetrate, cant shoot. Most of the time, he/we dribble around the perimeter until the shot clock winds down. The offense in the second half was unbelievabley stagnant and passive, passive, passive. As the color guy said, if we didn't have an offense off of the in bound plays we wouldn't have an offense at all.

Thats coaching, point guard play, or both. I am coming to the conclusion that Delon does not have the point guard mentality; he cant get the team into the offense, and that is why we waste so many end of game possessions. He is not close to Andre Miller, Jimmy soto or lots of others we could name.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-19-2014 at 09:37 AM.

This right here. Delon is a natural PG. Ogbe will benefit from a year of experience as well as a true off season working with the coaches and strength staff.

I would say Delon wore down some, I think that affected Jordan and Brandon as well.

I also can't really say what is coaching, and what is just the limitations of our roster this year.

I like our players, but I'm not sure anyone on this team really has that assassin mentality....and you need someone who has that, it's not taught.

Per Tony Jones Kuzma can now practice with the team. He's already said his goal is 50,000 made baskets before his birthday, which is July 24th. He and Chapman have bonded already as well and plan to workout together often.

Delon should join them on that shooting/basketball goal.

I like Taylor these days a "little" more. For someone who's really undersized, he's not quick and appears to have a difficult time to create his own shots. He also needs to be smarter with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I would say Delon wore down some, I think that affected Jordan and Brandon as well.

I also can't really say what is coaching, and what is just the limitations of our roster this year.

I like our players, but I'm not sure anyone on this team really has that assassin mentality....and you need someone who has that, it's not taught.

Per Tony Jones Kuzma can now practice with the team. He's already said his goal is 50,000 made baskets before his birthday, which is July 24th. He and Chapman have bonded already as well and plan to workout together often.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    I like Taylor these days a "little" more. For someone who's really undersized, he's not quick and appears to have a difficult time to create his own shots. He also needs to be smarter with the ball.
    Amen to that. The PG can't be giving up steals leading to dunks for the opponent.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I can't imagine Delon going to the NBA after that performance last night. His shortcomings were highlighted. He may leave, but I cannot see him making an NBA roster.

fortunately transfers are a two way street, if Utah loses a player or two I wouldn't mind picking up a kid that feels he's in a bad situation or isn't playing enough elsewhere. We clearly have some areas where we could get better.

Delon's quotes in the Tribune today include "I think we got too comfortable with leads. It's been a problem all year and we need to fix it"

For what it's worth

Read that. I don't understand it. When I was playing, if we were a xx-pt favorite, my goal would be beating that. If I'm up 10, I want to be up 15. It's not as though Utah had been "killing" teams and should be content with the lead. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Delon's quotes in the Tribune today include "I think we got too comfortable with leads. It's been a problem all year and we need to fix it"

For what it's worth

Either intentionally or unintentionally the basketball Utes have the same conservative attitude as the football Utes. Get a lead and then try to shorten the game. The result seems to be that either Taylor or Wright dribble the ball up top until there are 15 seconds or so on the shot clock and then end up either turning the ball over or getting a poor shot. Now these are hardly the first coaches to do this, but it has always seemed to me that the team that stays aggressive and attacks is the team that is going to win those games. LK was quoted in the Trib saying that his mission this summer is to look at those games and figure our what happened and why. I am happy that he recognizes that there is an issue and I certainly hope he finds the answer. If he had just posted on here a couple of months ago we could have gotten it all straightened out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Either intentionally or unintentionally the basketball Utes have the same conservative attitude as the football Utes. Get a lead and then try to shorten the game. The result seems to be that either Taylor or Wright dribble the ball up top until there are 15 seconds or so on the shot clock and then end up either turning the ball over or getting a poor shot. Now these are hardly the first coaches to do this, but it has always seemed to me that the team that stays aggressive and attacks is the team that is going to win those games. LK was quoted in the Trib saying that his mission this summer is to look at those games and figure our what happened and why. I am happy that he recognizes that there is an issue and I certainly hope he finds the answer. If he had just posted on here a couple of months ago we could have gotten it all straightened out for him.
    Sunday afternoon I was on an airplane and happened to catch the Michigan State-Michigan game in the BIG10 championship. MSU was very impressive and I ended up feeling some "aggression envy." Michigan tried to press, and MSU ferociously attacked that press -- burning Michigan on it a couple of times, after which Michigan dropped its press. On offense MSU was the same. It was exciting and impressive to watch. Now, I recognize that they have better athletes than we do -- and more of them -- so maybe it's not feasible for Utah to try that. But I can't help but think we could be a lot more on the attack than we have been.

MSU's #5, Adreian Payne, is a monster in the paint (and can shoot a trey too); and Keith Appling is a terrific point guard. I hope we can land athletes like them someday. I wonder if MSU recruited Kuzma? He's from Flint, isn't he?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-19-2014 at 07:05 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Sunday afternoon I was on an airplane and happened to catch the Michigan State-Michigan game in the BIG10 championship. MSU was very impressive and I ended up feeling some "aggression envy." Michigan tried to press, and MSU ferociously attacked that press -- burning Michigan on it a couple of times, after which Michigan dropped its press. On offense MSU was the same. It was exciting and impressive to watch. Now, I recognize that they have better athletes than we do -- and more of them -- so maybe it's not feasible for Utah to try that. But I can't help but think we could be a lot more on the attack than we have been.

MSU's #5, Adreian Payne, is a monster in the paint (and can shoot a trey too); and Keith Appling is a terrific point guard. I hope we can land athletes like them someday. I wonder if MSU recruited Kuzma? He's from Flint, isn't he?
    Depending on which source you read he was either recruited by or even offered by MSU

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Read that. I don't understand it. When I was playing, if we were a xx-pt favorite, my goal would be beating that. If I'm up 10, I want to be up 15. It's not as though Utah had been "killing" teams and should be content with the lead. Oh well.
    While I don't understand it, I think his use of "we" indicates he's not out the door as some suggest.

Delon Wright coming back for SR season!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Delon Wright coming back for SR season!!!!
    NBC Sports confirmation:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...tm_source=t.co

--Yeats

Delon made tge right call. He can address some things this offseason and i think hes a first rounder next year. Glad hes staying. We could be very good next year.

What a change from the mass transfers we had to endure because of Boylen.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

sounds like Matt Carlino will be avaliable for pickup for next year. Rumor is that he will graduate early and opt to go elsewhere. My initial reaction is that Utah shouldn't touch him, but I haven't watched him play enough to know for sure. He's definitely talented offensively. Might be a nice player off the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sounds like Matt Carlino will be avaliable for pickup for next year. Rumor is that he will graduate early and opt to go elsewhere. My initial reaction is that Utah shouldn't touch him, but I haven't watched him play enough to know for sure. He's definitely talented offensively. Might be a nice player off the bench?
    The only reason Utah should consider Matt Carlino is to bring him in for some group of post-graduate students to study him up close and perform experiments on his combover. In fact, they shouldn't consider Carlino, only his combover, which is a truly impressive specimen in itself. Carlino should leave his hair to science and go tear it up at SUU.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    The only reason Utah should consider Matt Carlino is to bring him in for some group of post-graduate students to study him up close and perform experiments on his combover. In fact, they shouldn't consider Carlino, only his combover, which is a truly impressive specimen in itself. Carlino should leave his hair to science and go tear it up at SUU.
    fair enough