Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Basketball Transfer Watch Thread

Delon's quotes in the Tribune today include "I think we got too comfortable with leads. It's been a problem all year and we need to fix it"

For what it's worth

Read that. I don't understand it. When I was playing, if we were a xx-pt favorite, my goal would be beating that. If I'm up 10, I want to be up 15. It's not as though Utah had been "killing" teams and should be content with the lead. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Delon's quotes in the Tribune today include "I think we got too comfortable with leads. It's been a problem all year and we need to fix it"

For what it's worth

Either intentionally or unintentionally the basketball Utes have the same conservative attitude as the football Utes. Get a lead and then try to shorten the game. The result seems to be that either Taylor or Wright dribble the ball up top until there are 15 seconds or so on the shot clock and then end up either turning the ball over or getting a poor shot. Now these are hardly the first coaches to do this, but it has always seemed to me that the team that stays aggressive and attacks is the team that is going to win those games. LK was quoted in the Trib saying that his mission this summer is to look at those games and figure our what happened and why. I am happy that he recognizes that there is an issue and I certainly hope he finds the answer. If he had just posted on here a couple of months ago we could have gotten it all straightened out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Either intentionally or unintentionally the basketball Utes have the same conservative attitude as the football Utes. Get a lead and then try to shorten the game. The result seems to be that either Taylor or Wright dribble the ball up top until there are 15 seconds or so on the shot clock and then end up either turning the ball over or getting a poor shot. Now these are hardly the first coaches to do this, but it has always seemed to me that the team that stays aggressive and attacks is the team that is going to win those games. LK was quoted in the Trib saying that his mission this summer is to look at those games and figure our what happened and why. I am happy that he recognizes that there is an issue and I certainly hope he finds the answer. If he had just posted on here a couple of months ago we could have gotten it all straightened out for him.
    Sunday afternoon I was on an airplane and happened to catch the Michigan State-Michigan game in the BIG10 championship. MSU was very impressive and I ended up feeling some "aggression envy." Michigan tried to press, and MSU ferociously attacked that press -- burning Michigan on it a couple of times, after which Michigan dropped its press. On offense MSU was the same. It was exciting and impressive to watch. Now, I recognize that they have better athletes than we do -- and more of them -- so maybe it's not feasible for Utah to try that. But I can't help but think we could be a lot more on the attack than we have been.

MSU's #5, Adreian Payne, is a monster in the paint (and can shoot a trey too); and Keith Appling is a terrific point guard. I hope we can land athletes like them someday. I wonder if MSU recruited Kuzma? He's from Flint, isn't he?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-19-2014 at 07:05 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Read that. I don't understand it. When I was playing, if we were a xx-pt favorite, my goal would be beating that. If I'm up 10, I want to be up 15. It's not as though Utah had been "killing" teams and should be content with the lead. Oh well.
    While I don't understand it, I think his use of "we" indicates he's not out the door as some suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Sunday afternoon I was on an airplane and happened to catch the Michigan State-Michigan game in the BIG10 championship. MSU was very impressive and I ended up feeling some "aggression envy." Michigan tried to press, and MSU ferociously attacked that press -- burning Michigan on it a couple of times, after which Michigan dropped its press. On offense MSU was the same. It was exciting and impressive to watch. Now, I recognize that they have better athletes than we do -- and more of them -- so maybe it's not feasible for Utah to try that. But I can't help but think we could be a lot more on the attack than we have been.

MSU's #5, Adreian Payne, is a monster in the paint (and can shoot a trey too); and Keith Appling is a terrific point guard. I hope we can land athletes like them someday. I wonder if MSU recruited Kuzma? He's from Flint, isn't he?
    Depending on which source you read he was either recruited by or even offered by MSU

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    PG: DWright/Taylor/IWright
    SG: Ogbe/Tucker/Fields
    SF: Chapman/Loveridge/Onwas
    PF: Reyes/Kuzma/Olson
    C: Bachinsky/Marco
    I like this more. I was talking to some people in the know, and they all love Kuzma. Think he starts from day one and becomes the leader we all hoped Loveridge and Wright would be. If he does start, I think he either takes the SF or PF spot, depending on who wins out in the Loveridge vs Reyes battle.

Basically, what I got today was that take the way everyone felt about Wright a week ago, and Kuzma will actually be able to do those things.

I, for one, feel totally different about the Utes for next year, and can't wait to watch Kuzma play.

Not bad.

- Dwright/Fields/Onwas: Better get a perimeter game. They have none outside of 10-ft.
    - Tucker/Loveridge/Taylor: Need to have more consistent shooting games, against P12 level teams.
    - Loveridge/Ogbe/Tucker: Better learn defense because they are not good at it at all.
    - Onwas: Boy...at least get your free-throw % in the .600. Absolutely horrible.
    - Bachinsky/Olson/Marco: learn how to play weak-side, help defense. Learn how to block-out. Play some passing-lane D.
    - Olson/Marco: Hit the gym
    - Taylor/Loveridge: stop making those lazy-ass passes. Learn passing lanes.
    - Everyone: Get some mental toughness -- pretty soft. Improve BB IQ -- pretty low.

Given the number of recruits, somebody is going to lose scholie and that means transfer -- I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I like this more. I was talking to some people in the know, and they all love Kuzma. Think he starts from day one and becomes the leader we all hoped Loveridge and Wright would be. If he does start, I think he either takes the SF or PF spot, depending on who wins out in the Loveridge vs Reyes battle.

Basically, what I got today was that take the way everyone felt about Wright a week ago, and Kuzma will actually be able to do those things.

I, for one, feel totally different about the Utes for next year, and can't wait to watch Kuzma play.

fortunately transfers are a two way street, if Utah loses a player or two I wouldn't mind picking up a kid that feels he's in a bad situation or isn't playing enough elsewhere. We clearly have some areas where we could get better.

Delon Wright coming back for SR season!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Delon Wright coming back for SR season!!!!
    NBC Sports confirmation:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...tm_source=t.co

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Delon made tge right call. He can address some things this offseason and i think hes a first rounder next year. Glad hes staying. We could be very good next year.

What a change from the mass transfers we had to endure because of Boylen.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

sounds like Matt Carlino will be avaliable for pickup for next year. Rumor is that he will graduate early and opt to go elsewhere. My initial reaction is that Utah shouldn't touch him, but I haven't watched him play enough to know for sure. He's definitely talented offensively. Might be a nice player off the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sounds like Matt Carlino will be avaliable for pickup for next year. Rumor is that he will graduate early and opt to go elsewhere. My initial reaction is that Utah shouldn't touch him, but I haven't watched him play enough to know for sure. He's definitely talented offensively. Might be a nice player off the bench?
    The only reason Utah should consider Matt Carlino is to bring him in for some group of post-graduate students to study him up close and perform experiments on his combover. In fact, they shouldn't consider Carlino, only his combover, which is a truly impressive specimen in itself. Carlino should leave his hair to science and go tear it up at SUU.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    The only reason Utah should consider Matt Carlino is to bring him in for some group of post-graduate students to study him up close and perform experiments on his combover. In fact, they shouldn't consider Carlino, only his combover, which is a truly impressive specimen in itself. Carlino should leave his hair to science and go tear it up at SUU.
    fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    If that is true, he and Rose really must have had a falling out over his role and benching.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    If that is true, he and Rose really must have had a falling out over his role and benching.
    Is Mika still leaving on a mission? Do they have any other big men coming in? With just Nate Austin at the 4/5 and Collinsworth out for Nov/Dec (the important time of the season for BYU), he might see a difficult year coming.

Plus, wasn't he a transfer from UCLA? Maybe he's just a grass-is-greener type.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Is Mika still leaving on a mission? Do they have any other big men coming in? With just Nate Austin at the 4/5 and Collinsworth out for Nov/Dec (the important time of the season for BYU), he might see a difficult year coming.

Plus, wasn't he a transfer from UCLA? Maybe he's just a grass-is-greener type.
    Mika is going to Italy. They have the transfer from UNLV, Aytes. he arrived in December; cant play until mid-December next year.

If we can get Carlino we should grab him. We could use a streaky three point shooter with some athleticism who can score in transition. I don't care if he has BYU fleas. Fumigate him. Will he be a senior?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If we can get Carlino we should grab him. We could use a streaky three point shooter with some athleticism who can score in transition. I don't care if he has BYU fleas. Fumigate him. Will he be a senior?
    And who will never let anyone else take a shot? No thanks.

Carlino has jumped from place to place to place. No one should be surprised he is jumping to another place. The funny thing is he started to play well when he came off the bench. He actually acted like a point guard for a time. But he'd rather play like he's always played, 100% freedom to shoot anytime he wants and him having the ball in his hands whenever he wants it. The Utes would be absolutely nuts to show interest in him. My guess is he goes to a Big West or WAC also ran who let's him run and gun. Maybe Grand Canyon.

Mika is going to Italy. They have the transfer from UNLV, Aytes. he arrived in December; cant play until mid-December next year.
    Your posts are usually dead on. I can't believe you are so far out in left field on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Your posts are usually dead on. I can't believe you are so far out in left field on this one.

Whoops. Meant for SeattleUte. Sorry concerned.

Here's an unintentionally funny piece about Carlino -- and his hair!

http://blog.byutvsports.com/post/A-m...ay-Samson.aspx

--Yeats

Whoops. Meant for SeattleUte. Sorry concerned.
    No problem. I really hope Tulsa makes it back to the tourney the next couple of years. I kept thinking, what a once in a lifetime chance to be the father of a player in that situation. Hope you get another couple.

The question is whether there are 13 people set to be on scholarship next year who I would rather keep than having one year of Matt Carlino (part of this consideration is the cost of basically cutting a player we previously committed to). I can easily identify 13 such players; therefore, I have no interest in Carlino unless a spot opens up by one of those 13 players voluntarily leaving, and only then only if we can't find a better option than Carlino.

No problem. I really hope Tulsa makes it back to the tourney the next couple of years. I kept thinking, what a once in a lifetime chance to be the father of a player in that situation. Hope you get another couple.
    It was great. The atmosphere was electric. I hope they get back.

Carlino has jumped from place to place to place. No one should be surprised he is jumping to another place. The funny thing is he started to play well when he came off the bench. He actually acted like a point guard for a time. But he'd rather play like he's always played, 100% freedom to shoot anytime he wants and him having the ball in his hands whenever he wants it. The Utes would be absolutely nuts to show interest in him. My guess is he goes to a Big West or WAC also ran who let's him run and gun. Maybe Grand Canyon.
    UVU makes a lot of sense. He wouldn't even have to move.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Brilliant.

Hell yes we would take him at SUU.
    SUU finished up the year rated in the 340s. Roger Reid didn't leave much to work with. Rat bastard.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.