Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Basketball Transfer Watch Thread

There is a theory out there that Ogbe could pay his own way to keep Kovacevich. I don't know how realistic that is.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    There is a theory out there that Ogbe could pay his own way to keep Kovacevich. I don't know how realistic that is.
    Ah the "Doug McDermott." I wonder if we'll see this more and more in college basketball.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Ah the "Doug McDermott." I wonder if we'll see this more and more in college basketball.
    If we do, state schools finally have an advantage over privates. And we have to figure out a way to get guys Utah residency.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Pretty sure he would still count as he's a recruited athlete that was on scholarship already

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Whoops. Meant for SeattleUte. Sorry concerned.
    I'm just a sucker for stuff like ESPN100 and was recruited by UCLA.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I posted this on twitter, and it caused a mini storm so why not put it here too...........

ICYMI, Delon Wright and his big bro Dorrel have removed all of the tweets sent out late last week where they indicate that Delon will return.

Now, I am not sitting here saying that Delon is transferring or going to the NBA. I still fully expect him back at Utah next year. That said.......if he is 100%.........why take them down?

I am not saying the sky is falling, but one thing is absolutely clear: Delon Wright's senior season at utah is up in the air right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I posted this on twitter, and it caused a mini storm so why not put it here too...........

ICYMI, Delon Wright and his big bro Dorrel have removed all of the tweets sent out late last week where they indicate that Delon will return.

Now, I am not sitting here saying that Delon is transferring or going to the NBA. I still fully expect him back at Utah next year. That said.......if he is 100%.........why take them down?

I am not saying the sky is falling, but one thing is absolutely clear: Delon Wright's senior season at utah is up in the air right now.
    To this belongs in the category of Things Beyond My Control. If Delon stays I'll be elated and will have high hopes for next season. If he leaves Krysko (and all of us as fans) will just have to figure out how to deal with a different reality.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    To this belongs in the category of Things Beyond My Control. If Delon stays I'll be elated and will have high hopes for next season. If he leaves Krysko (and all of us as fans) will just have to figure out how to deal with a different reality.
    I heard Larry interviewed by DJ and PK this morning on my way to work. He said that the staff is having the year-end exit interviews with the players this afternoon beginning at 1, so I suspect we should know soon enough the status of the players, including anyone leaving voluntarily or involuntarily.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I heard Larry interviewed by DJ and PK this morning on my way to work. He said that the staff is having the year-end exit interviews with the players this afternoon beginning at 1, so I suspect we should know soon enough the status of the players, including anyone leaving voluntarily or involuntarily.
    You have now been appointed The Guy Who Will Tell Us As Soon As Any News Is Out. Thanks, and congratulations.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Counselor, please tell me what about being a sports fan is not in this category, because I want to do all I can to help the Utes win and I can't think of anything.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Counselor, please tell me what about being a sports fan is not in this category, because I want to do all I can to help the Utes win and I can't think of anything.
    Do you carry some lucky token in your wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Join the Crimson Club and donate annually. If you can find a lucky button like Sancho's, do that too. Just don't obsess about the life decisions that kids aged 17-23 make, unless those kids are your own -- and even then, obsessing doesn't help much!

--Yeats

To this belongs in the category of Things Beyond My Control.
    This is my feeling, too. If he comes back, I think a "good" season or better is very likely. If he's gone, maybe next year isn't as special as we hope, but I still think the program is (finally) on a good footing and its best days are ahead.
    Last edited by FountainOfUte; 03-25-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    This is my feeling, too. If he comes back, I think a "good" season or better is very likely. If he's gone, maybe next year isn't as special as we hope, but I still think the program is (finally) on a good footing and its best days are ahead.
    100% this.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    It would be a huge mistake for Delon to leave. Like SU, I only care about Delon here, and I can honestly say that he should stay in school. He might not learn to shoot next year, he might get hurt, he might take a step back with more scouting, etc. etc. But if he declares, he's a late second rounder (at best) and he sure as heck isn't going to learn to shoot in the D-league.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    It would be a huge mistake for Delon to leave. Like SU, I only care about Delon here, and I can honestly say that he should stay in school. He might not learn to shoot next year, he might get hurt, he might take a step back with more scouting, etc. etc. But if he declares, he's a late second rounder (at best) and he sure as heck isn't going to learn to shoot in the D-league.
    I don't think the fact that he took down the tweets means anything. The Tony Jones article reported that Delon received a 2nd round grade from the NBA already. I take him and Dorell (who also tweeted he is coming back) at their word. But of course I could be wrong, because you can hear anything from an agent.

I don't think the fact that he took down the tweets means anything. The Tony Jones article reported that Delon received a 2nd round grade from the NBA already. I take him and Dorell (who also tweeted he is coming back) at their word. But of course I could be wrong, because you can hear anything from an agent.
    My only question........if you stand by something, why take it off twitter, as both Delon and Dorrell have done?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    My only question........if you stand by something, why take it off twitter, as both Delon and Dorrell have done?
    Delon also deleted his twitter account for a week or two within the last month (or at least locked it)

Instant access to everything is a curse these days IMO

Agreed. This is where Larry comes in. He's got to sell Delon on something big at Utah. Like, "Buddy, we can win a Pac-12 title with you on board and make some noise in the Dance. Without you, maybe we squeak into the NCAAs, but I've got reinforcements for you and we can do big things. We're gonna bring the Taylor PGs off the bench, give you a lethal shooting threat beside you in Ogbe and you're gonna be running the show for 32-35 minutes per game. I'll even run some iso sets for you to display your worth in the League. Your second-round contract this year won't even be guaranteed, but come back to Utah next year and you'll thank me every time you go to the bank."

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Agreed. This is where Larry comes in. He's got to sell Delon on something big at Utah. Like, "Buddy, we can win a Pac-12 title with you on board and make some noise in the Dance. Without you, maybe we squeak into the NCAAs, but I've got reinforcements for you and we can do big things. We're gonna bring the Taylor PGs off the bench, give you a lethal shooting threat beside you in Ogbe and you're gonna be running the show for 32-35 minutes per game. I'll even run some iso sets for you to display your worth in the League. Your second-round contract this year won't even be guaranteed, but come back to Utah next year and you'll thank me every time you go to the bank."
    Although in the interview this morning, it sounded like Brandon T will be the starter. LK said Taylor is the best shooter on the team, and they have to create more opportunities for him to shoot. Said he is encouraging Taylor to shoot further out from the three point line, where defenders wont be able to rush him as easily and his height wont be as much of a factor.

Agreed. This is where Larry comes in. He's got to sell Delon on something big at Utah. Like, "Buddy, we can win a Pac-12 title with you on board and make some noise in the Dance.
    Plus, Delon is a strong candidate for Pac-12 POY if he returns. The short list (assuming Johnson and Anderson leave) includes Wright, Randle, and Dinwiddie.

No, no. He's bang on. The Utes could really use Carlino. Please, pick him up.
    Last edited by tooblue; 03-25-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    No, no. He's bang on. The Utes could really use Carlino. Please, pick him up.
    Is Carlino transferring? That doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't want him, if true - this will be what, his fourth team (IU, UCLA, BYU, ___)?

Is Carlino transferring? That doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't want him, if true - this will be what, his fourth team (IU, UCLA, BYU, ___)?
    As I understand it, he's graduating so he's kind of like Dubois was. He can play immediately somewhere else. The idea of his coming to Utah is a joke (in every sense of the word).

--Yeats

No way in hell should they give Carlino a scholarship. He can take one of the non-scholarship spots perhaps, but I just can't see a need for him. We already have shooters who can hit threes all day long, only to go 0-6 on treys in the next game.

Although in the interview this morning, it sounded like Brandon T will be the starter. LK said Taylor is the best shooter on the team, and they have to create more opportunities for him to shoot. Said he is encouraging Taylor to shoot further out from the three point line, where defenders wont be able to rush him as easily and his height wont be as much of a factor.
    Larry needs to get acquainted with a stat sheet. Ogbe shot 47 percent from 3 and doesn't need to shoot from 22 feet to get his shot off. And Taylor won't shoot 40 percent from 3 if he's taking more shots from longer distances.

Larry needs to get acquainted with a stat sheet. Ogbe shot 47 percent from 3 and doesn't need to shoot from 22 feet to get his shot off. And Taylor won't shoot 40 percent from 3 if he's taking more shots from longer distances.
    I kind of wondered about that myself. Like many, I really admire Taylor and feel great affection for his guttiness. I mean, what's not to love about that kid? But, but...he's just so doggone small in a big man's game.

--Yeats

I kind of wondered about that myself. Like many, I really admire Taylor and feel great affection for his guttiness. I mean, what's not to love about that kid? But, but...he's just so doggone small in a big man's game.
    Correct. Taylor simply cannot employ advantages that make others around him better. He has difficulty in creating his own shot from 15 feet in, and as a result, does not draw help side defenders. Delon has no such problem and draws double teams every time he gets within 15 feet. I dream of what a lineup of DWright/Ogbe/Chapman/Reyes/Bachinsky can do to opposing defenses. It gives us length at every position, two forwards that are money from 15 feet in, a center that can rebound and get to the line and a pure, unadulterated assassin from the perimeter. Now ask yourself, who do you want facilitating that offense?

(EDIT: I will kill anyone who says Matt Carlino, even though I know you're joking. I think.)

Correct. Taylor simply cannot employ advantages that make others around him better.
    Ogbe has not shown that he can either, though he has great potential.

Ogbe's percentage is great, but he did it with only 34 attempts to Taylor's 161. It's not clear that Ogbe really is a better shooter.

Taylor does need to be set and squared up - the rushed/forced shots are an anchor on his percentage. I'm sure it would happen to Ogbe's percentage too if he were expected to play a bigger role in the offense.

There's a lot more to being a guard than shooting percentages. The best shooter on the team might be Connor Van Brocklin, but he's not about to get playing time. Taylor is still a more complete player than Ogbe.

Ogbe needs to be open too. They all do. Loveridge is the only one who can shoot over a defender.

Taylor has a great shot when he's set. If we can run a more effective offense so that Taylor doesn't have to beat the shot clock all the time, and if Taylor can not get overconfident and force shots when he's moving, I think his percentage can go above 40% even if he takes some of them from further out.