Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2014-15 Expectations Thread

Old Standing Ute is an early contender for the Most Valuable Poster ward.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Coaches Poll out:

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa....gpxTbrwc.uxfs

Utes get 26 votes, good for 30th.

Utah's opponents:

Arizona 2nd, Kansas 5th, Wichita St 11th, SDSU 17th.

Stanford (27th), UCLA (33rd), Oregon (35th), Colorado (37th) all receiving votes.

What's up with Oregon getting votes?

Interesting to see where we are in the AP poll when that comes out. I think we'll be close to the top 25.

I've mentioned this before... but how big is that SDSU game on November 18th? It's a tall order, but if we can go in there and get a W, it will most likely vault us into the top 20. Then we have 4 cupcakes at home... so we would most likely be undefeated and top 15 by the time Wichita St (who, if they can win @ Memphis will be undefeated and top 10) comes to the JMHC.

Even if we lose to SDSU, I would think a win against Wichita (making us 6-1) would get us ranked heading into the BYU game.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Coaches Poll out:

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa....gpxTbrwc.uxfs

Utes get 26 votes, good for 30th.

Utah's opponents:

Arizona 2nd, Kansas 5th, Wichita St 11th, SDSU 17th.

Stanford (27th), UCLA (33rd), Oregon (35th), Colorado (37th) all receiving votes.

What's up with Oregon getting votes?

Interesting to see where we are in the AP poll when that comes out. I think we'll be close to the top 25.

I've mentioned this before... but how big is that SDSU game on November 18th? It's a tall order, but if we can go in there and get a W, it will most likely vault us into the top 20. Then we have 4 cupcakes at home... so we would most likely be undefeated and top 15 by the time Wichita St (who, if they can win @ Memphis will be undefeated and top 10) comes to the JMHC.

Even if we lose to SDSU, I would think a win against Wichita (making us 6-1) would get us ranked heading into the BYU game.
    Whoever put Oregon in their preseason top 25 is a buffoon and should lose their ballot. Clearly, they haven't done much research.

This schedule is going to be so much fun this year. It is not too crazy to think that we may have a ranked football team and a ranked basketball team in the same week this year!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Thanks for the updates! Man, I love reading this stuff! Reminds me of a Tony Jones practice report.

Would you say that Delon looks better than last year?

Glad to hear that the other guys are getting better and looking good out there!

This is going to be a fun year!
    Hard to say about Delon---on 5 on 5 he would have the ball & without making it look hard he would be laying it in, whereas everyone else is challenged on their shots.
    Plus he comes from nowhere to block shots, makes steals etc. he just sees things 2 beats before they happen.

they run a 1 on1 drill--he was repeatedly matched up with Ogbe. Ogbe put up a fight, but it was not fair. ( And Ogbe looks much better).

Cullen sent out an e-mail today--it has a picture of Dallin trying to score over Poeltl---sorry I am bad at links--someone else must have it-----look at the waistline height comparison in midair-it shows how big & athletic Poeltl is.

One more point---Tucker looks really fast--he can get out & run.

Thanks for the good words.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Hard to say about Delon---on 5 on 5 he would have the ball & without making it look hard he would be laying it in, whereas everyone else is challenged on their shots.
    Plus he comes from nowhere to block shots, makes steals etc. he just sees things 2 beats before they happen.

they run a 1 on1 drill--he was repeatedly matched up with Ogbe. Ogbe put up a fight, but it was not fair. ( And Ogbe looks much better).

Cullen sent out an e-mail today--it has a picture of Dallin trying to score over Poeltl---sorry I am bad at links--someone else must have it-----look at the waistline height comparison in midair-it shows how big & athletic Poeltl is.

One more point---Tucker looks really fast--he can get out & run.

Thanks for the good words.
    Here you go:

image.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

A bird's-eye view of the floor:

image.jpg

--Yeats

Watched a bit of the Ute volleyball game on the Pac12 Net today.

The improved lighting easy very noticeable on TV

It should be a fun night with the Runnin Utes this week!

PRACTCE REPORT #2.

Dropped in again---Have to start the same way--Delon Wright is special. 5/5 he scored at will. He is playing a different game than everyone else. He hit the only 3 he took.
    How did he look taking it? By that, was it an "oh boy they left me open I'm taking this right now" or "ehh... hmm... I guess I'll take this since they're all standing in the key"?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    How did he look taking it? By that, was it an "oh boy they left me open I'm taking this right now" or "ehh... hmm... I guess I'll take this since they're all standing in the key"?
    I hate saying it, but it struck me as the latter. There were a handful of opportunities in a game like that for him to try an aggressive three and he'd pass it up. If there was ever a time to let them fly, last night was it. He did make the one he shot, though. It kind of made it's way around the hoop on its way through. But for me, I've not seen enough evidence either way that he has or has not developed a three; it's still "wait and see."

PAC-12 Hoops has its Utah preview out today:

Utah Utes Basketball Preview: Delon Rimttacking

Interesting thoughts. The writer doesn't think Jordan belongs at the 3, but I think we have better players than Jordan at that spot.

--Yeats

Thank you for the linkage Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachoops View Post
    Thank you for the linkage Sir.
    Great stuff.

It is true that Loveridge appears to be the ultimate 3/4 tweener: can't shoot reliably from the outside, 2 inches too small on the inside. Great midrange though.

While it is true that a lot of our future depends on Kuzma and Chapman on the outside, I think you may have overlooked Reyes a bit. I think he can bring a bit of attitude to rebounding that the Utes have been lacking. If he can bring that and improve our rebounding, that will go a long ways to helping our defense. We gave up too many offensive boards to the bigger, more physical schools (Arizona, Colorado, Cal).

It will be interesting to see how much impact losing Onwas's defensive presence will be.

Last year, I thought Loveridge didn't dribble well enough to play the 3. A lot of times that he put the ball on the floor and tried to penetrate he lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    PAC-12 Hoops has its Utah preview out today:

Utah Utes Basketball Preview: Delon Rimttacking

Interesting thoughts. The writer doesn't think Jordan belongs at the 3, but I think we have better players than Jordan at that spot.
    Interesting read. I have seen multiple practices & most of the scrimmage. Jordan is now a 3 not a 4. He practices with the "smalls" when they split up to big/small. He is not as tall as Ogbe, not to mention Reyes, Kuzma, Chapman & JO. He stands out at practice. Biggest problem may be D.

Not sure who starts at 4. Reyes, Kuzma or JO. Probably will depend on the opponent. JO may need to be a 4 to get minutes. Poeltl is really good. He had not practiced for a week before the scrimmage due to a concussion, so his timing & stamina was a little off. Now that he is all the way back, he is really good. If we can keep him for 4 years look out.

Other person to watch is Ogbe. His shot was off at scrimmage, but during practices he scores. Much stronger so he can drive. May see him with Delon in a very large, hard to score on back-court.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Last year, I thought Loveridge didn't dribble well enough to play the 3. A lot of times that he put the ball on the floor and tried to penetrate he lost it.
    And yet I feel that he scores better with the ball in his hands. He doesn't shoot well as a spot up type of guy.

Other person to watch is Ogbe. His shot was off at scrimmage, but during practices he scores. Much stronger so he can drive. May see him with Delon in a very large, hard to score on back-court.
    Best shooter since Jacobson. His biggest weakness offensively, last year, was dribbling. Defense was nonexistent.

Has he improved those?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Best shooter since Jacobson. His biggest weakness offensively, last year, was dribbling. Defense was nonexistent.

Has he improved those?
    Handles the ball much better. Defense appears better--although he often has to guard Delon, so hard to tell as that is almost impossible. He is noticeably rebounding the ball.

Interesting read. I have seen multiple practices & most of the scrimmage. Jordan is now a 3 not a 4. He practices with the "smalls" when they split up to big/small. He is not as tall as Ogbe, not to mention Reyes, Kuzma, Chapman & JO. He stands out at practice. Biggest problem may be D.

Not sure who starts at 4. Reyes, Kuzma or JO. Probably will depend on the opponent. JO may need to be a 4 to get minutes. Poeltl is really good. He had not practiced for a week before the scrimmage due to a concussion, so his timing & stamina was a little off. Now that he is all the way back, he is really good. If we can keep him for 4 years look out.

Always appreciate these.

-It was just "Night with the Runnin' Utes", but I thought more than anything that Jordan looked comfortable playing the 3. Granted, it remains to be seen if he can hold his own on defense, or if his shot will fall with more consistency, but for now, i am confident that he can succeed there. On a different note, he is likely to join the 1000 point club this year, which is pretty cool.

-As for the 4 spot, I am skeptical that JO has the foot speed to stay with stretch fours. If we do go to that look, I think I like him playing alongside Poeltl more than Bach as I think Poeltl is lighter on his feet and I think it will crowd the lane less in that circumstance.

-Glad to hear Ogbe is doing well. I thik he can play 1-3 and with his shooting he helps stretch the floor. If he can become a lockdown defender (no reason to believe he cant), he may eat up most of Dakari's minutes.

Another Practice Report:

This is 3rd time--things starting to stand out. The obvious--this team is really deep. May take time to find the rotation.
    They split the group big/small.
    Bigs were Poeltl, Dallin, JO, Reyes, Chapman. They ran a post up drill where they took a pass with back to basket with a defender. If they scored they stayed & D changed. No score & switch O. Poeltl can score with either hand, was a tough out. Chapman was good as he can step back, dribble & has good footwork. He can't bang yet & was pushed around on D by bigger bodies. Reyes had the fewest post moves, as he is shortest of the group. He is more of a spot up & put back scorer.
    Scrimmaged 5 on 4 and 5/5.
    Taylor has a sprained ankle so sat out. Zekey therefore got a lot of attention. He has really improved in 3 weeks. Does not make many mistakes & is shooting much better. He is a player.
    Kuzma is not shy about shooting. Decent range. He is a 3-4.
    Jordan is a 3. Really improved his game. Mid-range pull ups & much better from 3. Probably was leading scorer just like in public scrimmage.
    Tucker is in really good shape. Fast. Best shooter on team. No left hand.
    JO showed some range--to free thrown line. Not quick enough to play 4, but did team with Poeltl at times & that seemed to work.
    I know Ogbe so hard to make sure I am objective, but he just looks much better. They threw him an alley-oop that he caught in mid-air, pumped once & dunked.
    Chapman made the other spectacular play--had Dallin on him at free throw line, caught it, faked & then drove by him--took off after about 1 step & went airborne down the lane & slammed it. He has also really improved since day 1. Looks like he is not moving--kind of glides when he runs, but is pretty fast. Has a nice shot when he shoots free throws, but I have not seen him shoot from any distance.
    Dallin---is a vocal leader, same player.
    Delon is Delon.

Another Practice Report:

This is 3rd time--things starting to stand out. The obvious--this team is really deep. May take time to find the rotation.
    Bigs were Poeltl, Dallin, JO, Reyes, Chapman. They ran a post up drill where they took a pass with back to basket with a defender. If they scored they stayed & D changed. No score & switch O. Poeltl can score with either hand, was a tough out. Chapman was good as he can step back, dribble & has good footwork. He can't bang yet & was pushed around on D by bigger bodies. Reyes had the fewest post moves, as he is shortest of the group. He is more of a spot up & put back scorer.
    Taylor has a sprained ankle so sat out. Zekey therefore got a lot of attention. He has really improved in 3 weeks. Does not make many mistakes & is shooting much better. He is a player.
    Jordan is a 3. Really improved his game. Mid-range pull ups & much better from 3. Probably was leading scorer just like in public scrimmage.
    JO showed some range--to free thrown line. Not quick enough to play 4, but did team with Poeltl at times & that seemed to work.
    I know Ogbe so hard to make sure I am objective, but he just looks much better. They threw him an alley-oop that he caught in mid-air, pumped once & dunked.
    Chapman made the other spectacular play--had Dallin on him at free throw line, caught it, faked & then drove by him--took off after about 1 step & went airborne down the lane & slammed it. He has also really improved since day 1. Looks like he is not moving--kind of glides when he runs, but is pretty fast. Has a nice shot when he shoots free throws, but I have not seen him shoot from any distance.
    Delon is Delon.
    I love these reports.

If you were the coach and had to divvy up the minutes, how would you do it?

Here is my attempt:

PG
    Delon 32
    Isaiah 8

SG
    Taylor 23
    Ogbe 15
    Isaiah 2

SF
    Loveridge 27
    Kuzma 10
    Tucker 3

PF
    Reyes 20
    Chapman 15
    Kuzma 5

C
    Bach 20
    Poeltl 12
    Olsen 8

Man that is hard, its downright wrong to put Dakari at 3 minutes per, but where else do you put him??
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 10-30-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Another Practice Report:

Delon is Delon.

Fantastic, these are the best. Thanks again for the report.

Questions:

Would you say Poeltl looks like the best 5? Do you think he starts?
    Do you think Chapman redshirts, or is he going to demand minutes at the 4?

Another Practice Report:

Delon is Delon.

--Yeats

Two weeks from tonight............I cant wait.

I dont know how long ill get to enjoy this, but we are officially ranked in both football and basketball.

http://www.collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

I dont know how long ill get to enjoy this, but we are officially ranked in both football and basketball.

http://www.collegebasketball.ap.org/poll
    just saw this as well. Let's hope they can play up to the preseason expectations.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Per Jeff Goodman, we beat Wyoming today. Delon and loveridge had solid games.

Per Jeff Goodman, we beat Wyoming today. Delon and loveridge had solid games.
    Per Kyle Goon it was Utah 91 Wyoming 63

Poeltl with 15 points and 8 boards

Delon with 14 points 6 boards and 5 assists

Loveridge 14 points 6 boards and 4 assists

Starters were I Wright D Wright Loveridge Reyes and Poetl

--Yeats

It would have been fun to see this game. Still another two weeks away from real games. But this is going to be a genuinely fun year.

Gotta say Poeltl is the most intriguing prospect in years. Ive heard everytging from "enjoy him while hes here" to "hes several years away",