Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2014-15 Expectations Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Now we just need to get them out east!

Schedule released.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-bas...062014aaa.html

* Exhibition: Pacific
    * 5 home warmup games (Ball St, UC Riverside, North Dakota, Alabama St, Texas-Pan Am). Although North Dakota is a decent team.
    * vs Wichita State (thanks concerned)
    * @BYU
    * @Kansas (neutral site)
    * @UNLV
    * 2 more home games (South Dakota State, Carroll College)

An improved schedule over last year. Those 4 games in the middle will tell us a lot of what to expect in P12 play. I like the fact we hit some competitive road games right there to get us ready.

EDIT:

I think if we go 2-2 in that middle stretch, we are on track to be in the upper half of the league.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 06-20-2014 at 03:08 PM.

wichita state is a home game.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Schedule released.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-bas...062014aaa.html

* Exhibition: Pacific
    * 5 home warmup games (Ball St, UC Riverside, North Dakota, Alabama St, Texas-Pan Am). Although North Dakota is a decent team.
    * Wichita State, which it doesn't say whether we are home or away. I'm hoping a home game based on this next stretch:
    * @BYU
    * @Kansas (neutral site)
    * @UNLV
    * 2 more home games (South Dakota State, Carroll College)

An improved schedule over last year. Those 4 games in the middle will tell us a lot of what to expect in P12 play. I like the fact we hit some competitive road games right there to get us ready.
    Per Bill Riley and Kyle Goon the. Utes are also playing @ SDSU in November. (As in San Diego State)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Per Bill Riley and Kyle Goon the. Utes are also playing @ SDSU in November. (As in San Diego State)
    Yep, @ SDSU Nov 18.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Yep, @ SDSU Nov 18.
    I might find an excuse to be in SD that evening.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

That is, in my opinion, just about a perfect schedule. There are some cream puffs. There are a lot of road tests.

The Larry-hating trolls which for some reason still exist will have a tough time complaining about this, but I am sure they will anyway.

That is, in my opinion, just about a perfect schedule. There are some cream puffs. There are a lot of road tests.

The Larry-hating trolls which for some reason still exist will have a tough time complaining about this, but I am sure they will anyway.
    I agree. You have some tuneup games to get guys used to executing at game speed, then some really tough road games to challenge them and get them ready for conference play, and then two games at the end of the year for finals and to make any adjustments going into conference play.

Not playing Stanford and Cal on the road is a plus next year too.

So..........can we get to 20 wins? obviously we have to wait and see how every opponent is, but in my opinion, 20-21 wins with this schedule and we should be a lock.

So..........can we get to 20 wins? obviously we have to wait and see how every opponent is, but in my opinion, 20-21 wins with this schedule and we should be a lock.
    Tony Jones now predicts 23-7 and a 4 seed

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Wow. not sure I agree with his optimism, but that would be cool!

For that to happen, we pretty much have to come out of the non conference with two losses max, then lose 5 conference games. If we lose 3 of those non conference games, we aren't good enough to lose fewer than 4 conference games.

It's possible. It's probably the ceiling for this team.

The article on this in the DesNews says an additional game will be added soon. I wonder if Wisconsin is still on the table.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The article on this in the DesNews says an additional game will be added soon. I wonder if Wisconsin is still on the table.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    It's @ San Diego State November 18th

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It's @ San Diego State November 18th
    Conference schedule is a fast starter.
    UCLA home, USC home--next day, doubt that
    Colorado home
    at Az.
    Need to be 3-1 for those 20 plus wins.

Only one non-D1 in Carroll College, in Montana. I'm fine with that. Majerus scheduled Ripon, so Larry likely has a buddy up at Carroll that he's trying to help out.

It's a very good schedule. Last year's non-con rates a 1.5/2 out of 10. At least it had BYU and a returning tourney team in BSU. I'd rate this one 8.5 out of 10. You could make it a 10 by getting another home game against a quality opponent and getting another in-state school on the schedule, two things that appear to be not out of the question at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Only one non-D1 in Carroll College, in Montana. I'm fine with that. Majerus scheduled Ripon, so Larry likely has a buddy up at Carroll that he's trying to help out.

It's a very good schedule. Last year's non-con rates a 1.5/2 out of 10. At least it had BYU and a returning tourney team in BSU. I'd rate this one 8.5 out of 10. You could make it a 10 by getting another home game against a quality opponent and getting another in-state school on the schedule, two things that appear to be not out of the question at this point.
    I remember reading a couple months ago that the utah state series will be back soon. Id love that.

I remember reading a couple months ago that the utah state series will be back soon. Id love that.
    I thought I read somewhere that Morrill did not want to play us this year because their roster blew up.

I thought I read somewhere that Morrill did not want to play us this year because their roster blew up.
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...me.html?pg=all

Athlon:

13 College Basketball Coaches on the Rise for 2014-15

The main photo is of someone we all know.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Athlon:

13 College Basketball Coaches on the Rise for 2014-15

The main photo is of someone we all know.
    This is going to be a very interesting year. In each of Larry's first three years, we have come in very much under the radar. We have had unheralded recruiting classes and no big names. "Oh its Utah, they are a decent team, but.........."

This year? The script is 100% flipped. Larry K is making a name for himself. In this article, http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...rrison/slide/2 Delon Wright is tabbed as the second best point guard in teh country, and we have a top 30 recruiting class with some big names that we beat out big name programs for. No longer are we just "that nice little team"; some people see us as the second best team in the conference!

How we handle that is going to be incrediblely interesting. It will tell us a lot about our staff and players.

Absolutely agreed.

Many people experience a meteoric rise in sports/games/skills/hobbies, only to reach their "ceiling" for whatever reason, real or perceived, within a short time-period.

This is going to be a very interesting year. In each of Larry's first three years, we have come in very much under the radar. We have had unheralded recruiting classes and no big names. "Oh its Utah, they are a decent team, but.........."

This year? The script is 100% flipped. Larry K is making a name for himself. In this article, http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...rrison/slide/2 Delon Wright is tabbed as the second best point guard in teh country, and we have a top 30 recruiting class with some big names that we beat out big name programs for. No longer are we just "that nice little team"; some people see us as the second best team in the conference!

How we handle that is going to be incrediblely interesting. It will tell us a lot about our staff and players.

I'm quite dubious about some of these predictions. I'm excited about next year's team and ecstatic about the direction of the program, but this team still doesn't know how to win. To go 25-7, or whatever crazy prediction people want to make, we need to win close games against good teams. This team has not done that. They'll learn, hopefully, how to do it next year. Just don't expect instant results.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm quite dubious about some of these predictions. I'm excited about next year's team and ecstatic about the direction of the program, but this team still doesn't know how to win. To go 25-7, or whatever crazy prediction people want to make, we need to win close games against good teams. This team has not done that. They'll learn, hopefully, how to do it next year. Just don't expect instant results.
    Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding! If we don't see one or two Ute badasses emerge we'll be in trouble, IMO.

--Yeats

Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding! If we don't see one or two Ute badasses emerge we'll be in trouble, IMO.
    We need a guy that can get a tough crunch time bucket. I don't know who that guy is going to be. Assuming Delon doesn't develop a jumper this offseason, I think it has to be JLover.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    We need a guy that can get a tough crunch time bucket. I don't know who that guy is going to be. Assuming Delon doesn't develop a jumper this offseason, I think it has to be JLover.
    Yes, a badass!

"A tough, uncompromising, or intimidating person."

In hoops terms, the guy who wants the ball, and we want to have the ball, in crunch time; who by force of will and skill won't allow the team to lose -- and if they do lose, they won't lose without a smart, all-out, brilliant effort on his part. That guy was not on the 2013-14 edition of the Utes. I hope he shows up this coming season.

--Yeats

A little more on the SDSU home-and-home:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/6/...tah-basketball

--Yeats

Go Aggies!!

That write-up is a bit too flowery for me.

A little more on the SDSU home-and-home:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/6/...tah-basketball