Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorcho and Applejack talk about the San Francisco Baseball Giants

Scorcho and Applejack talk about the San Francisco Baseball Giants

Hey Scorcho!

The Giants are 5-2. They lead the majors in home runs and runs. The only losses have come when our fifth starter, Matt Cain, pitches - what a bum. I expect all of these trends to continue.

I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I like the Giants.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I like the Giants.
    Welcome aboard! This thread should outpace that nasty Dodgers trollfest within the hour.

There's a problem here for me: I don't hate the Giants. How can we have a decent rivalry here if I don't? Maybe you guys can help me out.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    There's a problem here for me: I don't hate the Giants. How can we have a decent rivalry here if I don't? Maybe you guys can help me out.
    That's okay, I don't really hate the Dodgers.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

OK, that gives us four people on the Giants bandwagon! This thread has been much, much more successful than I anticipated.

LA, to answer your question of how we can have a decent rivalry, a nice first start would be you growing a Tim Lincecum moustache to demonstrate good will.

tim-lincecum-getty.jpg

Last time the Giants won the World Series: 2012 (after winning in 2010)

Last time the Dodgers won the World Series: 1988

Sorry, was that a bit zoobish?

It would only be zoobish if you were using the 1988 title to prop up your team.

No. The Dodgers from 1988 to 2012 were kind of like Utah football from 1964 to 1989. The renaissance of the Boys In Blue is well under way now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

No. The Dodgers from 1988 to 2012 were kind of like Utah football from 1964 to 1989. The renaissance of the Boys In Blue is well under way now.
    If you're comparing the current Dodgers to a college football program it would have to be Oregon or Oklahoma State.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    If you're comparing the current Dodgers to a college football program it would have to be Oregon or Oklahoma State.
    OK. We finally have owners who want to win. Kind of like the new owners of those two universities.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-08-2014 at 04:26 PM.

--Yeats

6-2

Tim Hudson has been outstanding in his two starts. I heard that Brandon Belt changed his batting grip at the end of last season. Since that time he's been on fire offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    6-2

Tim Hudson has been outstanding in his two starts. I heard that Brandon Belt changed his batting grip at the end of last season. Since that time he's been on fire offensively.
    It sure is nice to have the A's as a farm team for pitchers.

apparently the Giants offered Kung-Fu Panda a 3 year $40 million dollar deal which he turned down. That sounds like a pretty fair deal to me.

Giants GM Sabean mentioned Pablo is going to have to have an incredible season if he thinks the Giants are going to offer more than that.

I have such white-hot hatred for that Blue Baseball Team, that I am a fan of the Giants in sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    I have such white-hot hatred for that Blue Baseball Team, that I am a fan of the Giants in sympathy.
    We're at five!

After this weekend's game in which Madison Bumgarner (stage name?) gave up 5 runs but then hit a grandslam and a sac fly to make up for it, I expect this bandwagon to fill up quite quickly.

welcome aboard LuckyUte

Matt Cain looked good in his last start which was a huge relief. Lincecum and Vogelsong are still questionable. One of those two need to figure it out if the Giants want to make the playoffs. I'd guess Vogelsong would be the more likely option. Its looking more and more like Sabean should have let the Freak walk.

You still have to be concerned about the corners. Kung Fu Panda and the Baby Giraffe are wildly inconsistent, as is Pence in right field.

Give us San Jose you bastards. A pox on you all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Funny because I support the team in blue because of the giants stance on San Jose.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Funny because I support the team in blue because of the giants stance on San Jose.

Funk, be reasonable. Let's compromise: the Giants get the Silicon Valley billionaires and the A's can keep their monopoly on the East Bay. Seems like a win-win for everyone!

Also, thanks for the pitching!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Funk, be reasonable. Let's compromise: the Giants get the Silicon Valley billionaires and the A's can keep their monopoly on the East Bay. Seems like a win-win for everyone!

Also, thanks for the pitching!
    You only have the San Jose territorial rights because of a historical accident by the A's. They gave their split rights to the Giants were looking at moving out of the Bay area. When the Giants didn't move, the rights didn't get transferred back. Despite this, the Giants act like those rights have always been there and are essential to their brand. Bud Selig has basically allowed the A's franchise to be slowly bled to death over this historical accident. I'm frustrated as all hell about the A's stadium situation. It needs to be fixed and Bud Selig's committee to investigate this that has taken years now is ridiculous. Give the rights to the A's and let them move. San Jose wants them and the A's want to be there.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    welcome aboard LuckyUte

Matt Cain looked good in his last start which was a huge relief. Lincecum and Vogelsong are still questionable. One of those two need to figure it out if the Giants want to make the playoffs. I'd guess Vogelsong would be the more likely option. Its looking more and more like Sabean should have let the Freak walk.

You still have to be concerned about the corners. Kung Fu Panda and the Baby Giraffe are wildly inconsistent, as is Pence in right field.
    I wouldn't count on Vogelsong for much of anything. Also, if you use Pence correctly, he is not so bad. Play him against lefties and as a defensive player and you can manage his results better.

I wouldn't count on Vogelsong for much of anything. Also, if you use Pence correctly, he is not so bad. Play him against lefties and as a defensive player and you can manage his results better.
    Giants are in a three-game funk. But on the bright side, they are still not in Oakland!

The Beard is working spectacularly as an orange and black secret agent, although he needs to be more subtle.

Giants are now the winners of 4 straight (thanks, Cleveland!). It looks like we might be able to make some noise this year.

Are you referring to your team as the San Francisco Baseball Giants in order to differentiate them from another Giants team based in San Francisco?

--Yeats

Are you referring to your team as the San Francisco Baseball Giants in order to differentiate them from another Giants team based in San Francisco?
    You don't get the reference? I thought you were around when the giants moved from New York.

4-2 so far on the current 10 day road trip (without Ginshu Cain). If the Giants can finish 2-2 or better against the Dodgers this weekend I'll call this road trip a success.

The Fresno Grizzlies beat Kershaw yesterday with their bottom of the lineup looking like this:

P. Sandoval .189
    Brandon Hicks .200
    J. Arias .164
    Juan Perez .095
    E. Adrianza .176
    T. Hudson .111

I think Bochy conceded the game with that lineup, but somehow the Giants found a way and know are tied for the best record in baseball.

The freak throws 7+ innings and strikes out 11! If we can get the stauche back, we are in bizniz.