Thread: Scorcho and Applejack talk about the San Francisco Baseball Giants

Hybrid View

There's a problem here for me: I don't hate the Giants. How can we have a decent rivalry here if I don't? Maybe you guys can help me out.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    There's a problem here for me: I don't hate the Giants. How can we have a decent rivalry here if I don't? Maybe you guys can help me out.
    That's okay, I don't really hate the Dodgers.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

OK, that gives us four people on the Giants bandwagon! This thread has been much, much more successful than I anticipated.

LA, to answer your question of how we can have a decent rivalry, a nice first start would be you growing a Tim Lincecum moustache to demonstrate good will.

tim-lincecum-getty.jpg

Last time the Giants won the World Series: 2012 (after winning in 2010)

Last time the Dodgers won the World Series: 1988

Sorry, was that a bit zoobish?
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post

It would only be zoobish if you were using the 1988 title to prop up your team.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post

No. The Dodgers from 1988 to 2012 were kind of like Utah football from 1964 to 1989. The renaissance of the Boys In Blue is well under way now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

No. The Dodgers from 1988 to 2012 were kind of like Utah football from 1964 to 1989. The renaissance of the Boys In Blue is well under way now.
    If you're comparing the current Dodgers to a college football program it would have to be Oregon or Oklahoma State.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    If you're comparing the current Dodgers to a college football program it would have to be Oregon or Oklahoma State.
    OK. We finally have owners who want to win. Kind of like the new owners of those two universities.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-08-2014 at 04:26 PM.

--Yeats

6-2

Tim Hudson has been outstanding in his two starts. I heard that Brandon Belt changed his batting grip at the end of last season. Since that time he's been on fire offensively.

The Boys in Blue are 5 games behind the SF franchise and closing.

--Yeats

Lincecum has a no-no bid alive through seven innings against the Padres.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Lincecum has a no-no bid alive through seven innings against the Padres.
    And he's done it. Still hitting 90's with the fastball after 100+ pitches. Curveball looked nasty.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

technically Timmy's 2nd no hitter of the season.

He had one through 5 a couple of weeks ago, before Bochy pulled him for a pinch hitter. Almost was a staff no-hitter, but they gave up some hits in the 8th and 9th.

sigh!

currently the A's are so much better than the Giants its hard to watch. It's almost like one of those major league vs. AA ball pre-season exhibitions.

For the record, I am rooting for the Giants now. California team, West Coast. Besides, I've always disliked the Cardinals.

--Yeats