Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorcho and Applejack talk about the San Francisco Baseball Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    MadBum is #1 all time in World Series ERA at 0.29

Bouchy is 33-13 as the Giants manager in the playoffs

27 outs away !!!
    I've lived the series so far. The royals are plucky, so the giants definitely want to end this in six.

I like to think that this humble little thread had something to do with this magical year.

Correction, I meant 27 outs on Wednesday.

Scorcho and Applejack are a little slow tonight.

Congratulations, Giants fan buddies. Wait 'till next year!!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Great game last night; one for the ages. Is madbum's performance the best ever in a world series? It certainly was the best I've ever seen.

I really liked the royals by the end. Good team, full of pluck.

Congrats Giants friends. Wish that the team here in Washington had the poise of your squad in the postseason.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Here is an interesting article about Baumgarner. Thank heaven he still ranks behind Koufax. last night I was trying to remember other pitchers who won three games in a World Series, so I looked it up. i though Koufax did, but was wrong. I remembered that Gibson and Lolich did back to back, in 67 and 68. What I didnt realize was that both Gibson and Lolich pitched three complete games, 27 innings each. Of course, they were used to pitching on three days rest and 300 innings a year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/up...abt=0002&abg=0

quote from Bumgarner's dad - “I didn’t know if he had enough left tonight,” Kevin said. “But I did know that boy would try to steal a steak off the devil’s plate.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/sp...ther.html?_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Congratulations, Giants fan buddies. Wait 'till next year!!
    I think the Giants fans are going to go ahead and wait 'til 2016 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Great game last night; one for the ages. Is madbum's performance the best ever in a world series? It certainly was the best I've ever seen.

I really liked the royals by the end. Good team, full of pluck.
    I read something on this subject this morning. There's a metric (and I forget what it is, but it's one of the newfangled stathead things) that measures a pitcher's dominance in win probability. Apparently Bumgarner has 3 of the top 4 world series performances in this metric.

The Giants are queer, such an ordinary/above average regular season team and then killers in the playoffs. Is Bochy a witch?

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I read something on this subject this morning. There's a metric (and I forget what it is, but it's one of the newfangled stathead things) that measures a pitcher's dominance in win probability. Apparently Bumgarner has 3 of the top 4 world series performances in this metric.

The Giants are queer, such an ordinary/above average regular season team and then killers in the playoffs. Is Bochy a witch?
    its the NY times article I linked above.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    its the NY times article I linked above.
    I don't think it's quite the same metric although it heads in the same direction. I read it somewhere else as I'm not smart enough to read NY Times on my own.

looks like the Dodgers and Giants will be looking for new infielders with Panda and Ramirez reporting to be heading to Boston.
    This is good new bad news for both teams.

Panda was clearly one of the Giants best bats and a great fielder, but I share the club's concern for his weight. In 2010, he got so heavy that he couldn't bend down to take ground balls. He reported in heavier that his agreed upon weight in Spring Training this year and got heavier as the season progressed. I don't know how SF plugs this hole?

Ramirez is a quality hitter but his production has decreased every year since signing with LA. He's also too injury prone and a below average shortstop.

2015 ummmmmm

I have season tickets to the Giants minor league team, the Sacramento River Cats

I don't know anything about the players yet but will likely go to 10 or so games this year and get to know them.

its looking bleak for the orange and black, their playoff chances are slim. but we have been able to see some of the AAA step up and play well. Duffy will be the NL Rookie of the year at 3rd base (Giants dodged a bullet by not signing Pablo Sandoval). Panik is a solid 2nd baseman and Tomlinson looks like a quality player. The Giants entire infield is ery young and home grown, including Buster Posey at catcher.

if they can add a pitcher or two, the Future looks bright

its looking bleak for the orange and black, their playoff chances are slim. but we have been able to see some of the AAA step up and play well. Duffy will be the NL Rookie of the year at 3rd base (Giants dodged a bullet by not signing Pablo Sandoval). Panik is a solid 2nd baseman and Tomlinson looks like a quality player. The Giants entire infield is ery young and home grown, including Buster Posey at catcher.

if they can add a pitcher or two, the Future looks bright
    Don't worry too much, there's still plenty of time for the Dodgers to collapse.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Giants opened up the wallet this season

I'm excited but we've seen other teams try this and fail miserably.

Giants opened up the wallet this season

I'm excited but we've seen other teams try this and fail miserably.
    Span will be good for the 25 or so games he's healthy enough to play.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Pablo Sandoval lost his job at 3rd base for the Red Sox this Spring. At 300 lbs he is eating his way out of baseball. He is the Roy Tarpley of MLB, except his drugs of choice are biscuits and gravy and pie with ice cream. Sad times for the Panda

not sure how the Giants are doing it, they have had a lot of injuries but somehow have the most wins in the NL

not sure how the Giants are doing it, they have had a lot of injuries but somehow have the most wins in the NL
    Isn't it obvious? They are cheating. They're all a bunch of cheaters. This is widely known.

--Yeats

someone offer a prayer up for the Giants

going into the all-star break they had the best record in baseball, since then they've gone 3-11, they are ruining my summer

I've always liked Tom Petty's song "Free Falling"

chasing history

the orange and black are on the verge to become the first team in MLB history to have the best record prior to the All-star break and the worst after it

Even though they maintain the Wild Card lead, that won't last. There are done!

Insert Taps music

chasing history

the orange and black are on the verge to become the first team in MLB history to have the best record prior to the All-star break and the worst after it

Even though they maintain the Wild Card lead, that won't last. There are done!

Insert Taps music
    Buck up, Scorcho. We've got a wild card to secure and, dammit, we're going to secure it!

Two series left, both at home, 1/2 game lead for the wild card. The Rockies, and the Dodgers and then we're done. I don't have a good feeling about either, but maybe the Cardinals can manage to be worse than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Two series left, both at home, 1/2 game lead for the wild card. The Rockies, and the Dodgers and then we're done. I don't have a good feeling about either, but maybe the Cardinals can manage to be worse than us.
    I bought tickets for Friday night's game against the Dodgers hoping that it would be for first place. Should still be a great series.

One game for all the marbles (well, for some of the marbles I guess)! Madison Bumgarner vs. Noah Syndergaard. Bring it you stupid Mets!

--Yeats