Thread: The "Utah Man" Controversy

The "Utah Man" Controversy

I think the folks at ASUU need to talk to the ones at ASUCLA about the Bruin fight song, "Sons of Westwood:"

We are Sons of Westwood,
    and we hail Blue and Gold.

True to thee our hearts will be;
    our love will not grow old.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Bruins roam the hills of Westwood
    By the blue Pacific shore.

And when we chance to see
    a man from U. S. C.,
    Ev'ry Bruin starts to ROAR!

U (clap clap clap)
    C (clap clap clap)
    L (clap clap clap)
    A (clap clap clap)
    U-C-L-A Fight, Fight, Fight.
    This was written in 1913.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-23-2014 at 11:48 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Then there's this one:

Fight On for ol' SC
    Our men Fight On to victory
    Our Alma Mater dear,
    looks up to you
    Fight On and win
    For ol' SC
    Fight On to victory
    Fight On!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Both of those are stinkers. I like our's much better.

Here's a link to a survey that I understand the Alumni Association has put out:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/Home_La...pqxD%2bskHM%3d

--Yeats

Apparently you can email the administration at fightsong@utah.edu to voice your opinion of whether Utah Man lyrics should be changed. The deadline is tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Apparently you can email the administration at fightsong@utah.edu to voice your opinion of whether Utah Man lyrics should be changed. The deadline is tomorrow.
    I emailed them and I got a personalized response from President Pershing.

Well, I am glad this important issue has been resolved.

--Yeats

I just hope that ASUU kid has someone around to give him a high five today. He's a real American hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

debatable about whether this was the right call or not. It is not debatable that this was handled extremely poorly.