Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 2015 Football Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Grant is grey shirting and will enroll in January. He was already a redshirt plan and the staff asked him to grey shirt to help with numbers

Other 3 will join the class this fall and count for 2016
    That's interesting. Are we over our quota for 2015? I'm curious why they would use those 2016 slots for these kids.
    Last edited by Applejack; 02-04-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    That's interesting. Are we over our quote for 2015? I'm curious why they would use those 2016 slots for these kids.
    We're at the limit due to returning missionaries and guys like Tim Patrick and Kylie Fitts counting.

We usually have 4-5 guys we delay like this. Pretty common for a school that's juggling missionaries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    That's interesting. Are we over our quota for 2015? I'm curious why they would use those 2016 slots for these kids.
    Kyle said something about this today. We are at 25 this year.

If you show up in the fall, your signing counts forward to next year. We had 4 guys from last year that count towards this year. The ones you mention count towards next year.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Kyle said something about this today. We are at 25 this year.

If you show up in the fall, your signing counts forward to next year. We had 4 guys from last year that count towards this year. The ones you mention count towards next year.
    If you throw these guys in it seems like a pretty good year. Right?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If you throw these guys in it seems like a pretty good year. Right?
    Seems like it to me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Seems like it to me.
    All of the recruiting services have Utah's class rated anywhere from the low 40s to around 50. It is important to remember that a lot of the recruiting is done in the spring and summer and at that point Utah was looking at a third straight losing season and new coaching staff. A lot of recruits crossed Utah off the list long before the 9-win season. Given that fact, and the coaching instability it is a very solid class, IMO.

Contrary to the opinions of some, Utah is never going to be a destination for elite recruits. I think Utah's ceiling in recruiting in the current landscape is in the 20s (their class would be somewhere in the 20s if they had a great season and kept all of its coaches and had some good fortune along the way). I think a recruiting class in the 30s is a very solid goal for when the team is winning and keeping its coaches around. Classes in the 40s are probably average going forward.

Utah needs to address its issues with in-state recruits and re-establish itself as a destination for polys. If it does those things then I am bullish on Utah's recruiting in the future.

An interactive map of the geography of Pac-12 recruits: http://pac-12.com/article/2015/02/04...across-america

A couple of interesting things:

- Our Texas recruiting has dried up. The only one listed on that map is Kyle Fulks.
    - It seems like the teams that actively recruit Florida are Utah, Oregon St, and Arizona. The big boys sign elite players from there (USC, Stanford, Oregon), but the U, OSU, and UofA pick up a bunch of Florida kids.
    - Stanford is all over the place.
    - The state of Utah is pretty well represented for recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    All of the recruiting services have Utah's class rated anywhere from the low 40s to around 50. It is important to remember that a lot of the recruiting is done in the spring and summer and at that point Utah was looking at a third straight losing season and new coaching staff. A lot of recruits crossed Utah off the list long before the 9-win season. Given that fact, and the coaching instability it is a very solid class, IMO.

Contrary to the opinions of some, Utah is never going to be a destination for elite recruits. I think Utah's ceiling in recruiting in the current landscape is in the 20s (their class would be somewhere in the 20s if they had a great season and kept all of its coaches and had some good fortune along the way). I think a recruiting class in the 30s is a very solid goal for when the team is winning and keeping its coaches around. Classes in the 40s are probably average going forward.

Utah needs to address its issues with in-state recruits and re-establish itself as a destination for polys. If it does those things then I am bullish on Utah's recruiting in the future.
    I heard Riley on ESPN700 say that 10 of the PAC-12 schools were in the top 46 (Utah was 46th, he said). Just an interesting factoid. The PAC-12 did better as a conference than any other. USC, UCLA, ASU, and Arizona all rated higher than Utah. I am not sure we will ever out-recruit those schools. Still, I look forward to the day when we are higher than 10th in the conference -- maybe 6th or 7th?? Not that these rankings mean everything.

Meanwhile, here's Piper's and Goon's breakdown:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2128425...ll-signing-day

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I heard Riley on ESPN700 say that 10 of the PAC-12 schools were in the top 46 (Utah was 46th, he said). Just an interesting factoid. The PAC-12 did better as a conference than any other. USC, UCLA, ASU, and Arizona all rated higher than Utah. I am not sure we will ever out-recruit those schools. Still, I look forward to the day when we are higher than 10th in the conference -- maybe 6th or 7th?? Not that these rankings mean everything.

Meanwhile, here's Piper's and Goon's breakdown:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2128425...ll-signing-day

we have ranked higher than 10th in the past. I think 2012 was 6th or 7th in the conference and about 30 nationally. Maybe due to the coaching changes at the other schools. 2012 was probably our best class ever. It hasnt sustained itself, unfortunately, although there is this.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-2014-to-2015/

BTW, what happened to Brandon Snell?
    Last edited by concerned; 02-05-2015 at 09:27 AM.

If we could stabalize the offense, we could consistently do between 25-35. If we get those numbers, Whitt's defenses are good enough, we'd compete for the south most years.

Heck, with worse recruits and worse depth, we are two wins away from winning the south...twice.

We are so close.

Rich Rod and some other coaches are in favor of eliminating the national signing day. I think the idea has some merit. In thinking about it, I would allow universities to extend LOI's to seniors to be after August 1 heading into their senior season. I would allow a signee to get out of a signed LOI if the head coach leaves or is fired. I would allow the school to get out of the LOI if the kid is arrested or fails to score necessary grades and/or scores on entrance exams.

See: http://www.si.com/college-football/2...riguez-arizona

The other story of interest is that of a kid who was going to sign with UCLA until he got wind that the DC was going to leave. now the kid, a 4* LB, is not going to sign an LOI and will just show up a one of the four schools he is considering. It appears that he is going to make his decision between UCLA, Michigan, Georgia and aTm known on Friday. It is unclear whether he will sign an LOI at that time.

Getting rid of signing day is huge for these kids. They can enjoy their SR year. They don't get to Jan or Feb and "whoops, we found someone better. Sorry."

It would also help schools like Arizona and Utah, if they find a kid, work with him, all to have USC swoop in and steal him away.

If the signing day was in August, both Gustin and Masina might be Utes right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Rich Rod and some other coaches are in favor of eliminating the national signing day. I think the idea has some merit. In thinking about it, I would allow universities to extend LOI's to seniors to be after August 1 heading into their senior season. I would allow a signee to get out of a signed LOI if the head coach leaves or is fired. I would allow the school to get out of the LOI if the kid is arrested or fails to score necessary grades and/or scores on entrance exams.

See: http://www.si.com/college-football/2...riguez-arizona

The other story of interest is that of a kid who was going to sign with UCLA until he got wind that the DC was going to leave. now the kid, a 4* LB, is not going to sign an LOI and will just show up a one of the four schools he is considering. It appears that he is going to make his decision between UCLA, Michigan, Georgia and aTm known on Friday. It is unclear whether he will sign an LOI at that time.
    I think I saw on twitter that he's going to Georgia.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Getting rid of signing day is huge for these kids. They can enjoy their SR year. They don't get to Jan or Feb and "whoops, we found someone better. Sorry."

It would also help schools like Arizona and Utah, if they find a kid, work with him, all to have USC swoop in and steal him away.

If the signing day was in August, both Gustin and Masina might be Utes right now.
    I don't think things would have changed with those two, but it would certainly change the dynamics of recruiting. The Utes cut two guys loose who had been committed the longest, a kid from Washington and a kid from Texas. Would they have offered the kids if the kids could have committed on the spot and signed the LOI?

As Rich Rod says in the article, it would make schools think twice before giving someone an offer. It would also prevent kids from the soft commit.

It would change things from all perspectives.

It definitely would. If you are Utah, and you are one of the first to go hard after Miles Jack, Porter Gustin, Masina, Fitts, do they sign in August before they blow up as seniors?

I think it would change some, but not too much. Schools would only offer a fall LOI if they feel a kid is a home run.

The two kids Utah dropped, probably don't get a fall LOI from Utah.

Here is an absolutely crazy idea that I like. Change all the rules to this:

January 1 - recruiting opens. This is mainly for unsigned SR's, but anyone can sign a LOI. Kids can also sign a LOI on this day.

April 1 - last day to sign a LOI. Also, last day to recruit a kid. This way kids can get ready for finals, graduation, etc. This is nice because kids will know who their coaches are if they wait to sign towards the end. Also, any kid who signs at this time can get out if the HC leaves the school before the season starts or the school can get out of the LOI if the kid doesn't perform academically or has legal issues.

July 1 - recruiting opens again. This is for underclass men. This recruiting period is for the "early signees". Anyone can sign a LOI at this time.

Sept 1 - last day to sign a LOI. At this time recruiting closes until Jan. This way kids can enjoy their SR season without creepy old men calling them every day. Any kid who signs at this time can get out if the HC leaves the school before the season starts or the school can get out of the LOI if the kid doesn't perform academically or has legal issues.

I made this up on the fly, but it gives kids/schools an early signing period, limits recruiting, gives kids a chance to have a good SR. season, etc.

The only way changes will happen is if they help the Blue Bloods (USC, Texas, tOSU, etc.). If it's neutral or, heaven forbid, disadvantageous to them while a boon for the rest of the P5 schools, nothing will change.

So if changes DO happen, be concerned. That's my glass-half-empty view, anyway.

Might as well just make a draft. If we're treating it like a business and paying the kids, let's draft them. P5 schools only, in reverse order of record.

Non P5 schools can hold a draft if they want, but it'd have to be after the P5 draft.

Once that idea is floated, there won't be anymore cries to pay them.