Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Football Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Huh? You can watch the video without paying anything. At least I'm able to and I don't have an account with them.

Then again, I am a 1337 13v31 h4x0rz.
    Now you're just being cruel.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Kind of rude of you to link to a pay site. 5 demerits, buddy!
    Even if you had to pay it would be worth it. The kid is something to behold. Just like in Rudy, I cannot wait for the MUSS to chant "Lenihan, Lenihan, Lenihan!"

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Now that the season consists only of only two more opponents (Colorado and bowl victim to be named later), let's revisit the ugly state of in-state recruiting this year. As always, rankings are from 247.com, commentary is mine.

1. Osa Masina, Brighton, LB: offers from all of the Pac-12, Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Nebraska, BYU. He's been in-person for most of the big Utah wins this year. But, it still looks like he's going elsewhere. Visiting USC this weekend.
    2. Porter Gustin, Salem Hills, LB: he has a bazillion offers, including everyone in the pac-12, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Florida State. He looks like a USC guy, but he's made some comments about Utah being "in the running" lately
    3. Andre James, Herriman, OT: UCLA commit. Visiting Ohio State this weekend, Utah next.
    4. Christian Folau, East, LB: Former Stanford commit, now down to Utah, Oklahoma State (what?), and Wisconsin. Wisky is the favorite.
    5. Dayan Lake, Northridge, DB: BYU commit.
    6. Austin Kafentzis, Jordan, QB: Wisconsin commit.
    7. Mufi Hunt, Brighton, DE: Top three is Utah, Cal, Wazzu. I like our chances with that bunch.
    8. Branden Bowers, Corner Canyon, OT: Ohio State commit. Former Utah commit.
    9. Jeremiah Ieremia, Hurricane, LB: BYU commit.
    10. Gabe Reid, Timpview, DE: Offers from the Arizona schools, Stanford, UW, Utah, BYU. A DE from Timpview with the last name Reid? Sounds like a Cougar.
    11. T.J. Fehoko, Cottonwood, DE: Colorado commit.
    12. James Empey, American Fork, Guard:
    Offers from the Washington schools, Utah schools, Boise, and Oregon State. I've heard he's a Utah lean, but he's been quiet lately.
    13. Kody Wilstead, Pine View, QB: BYU commit. A pro-style QB at BYU? This isn't the 1990s.
    14. Bailey Kenter, Layton, Punter: Yes, a punter. He's a Boise State lean. Until Hackett wins the Ray Guy award, that is.
    15. Devin Kaufusi, Timpview, DE: BYU commit.
    16. Quinn Fabrizio, Alta, Safety: Utah commit. Finally!
    17. Zayne Anderson, Stansbury, USU commit.
    18. Houston Heimuli, Bountiful, FB : Stanford commit.
    I don't think Utah or BYU offered this guy. Weird signing.
    19. Riley Burt, Box Elder, Athlete: BYU commit.
    20. Chayden Johnston, Bingham, Kicker: Utah commit.
    Hopefully he's working hard on his teammate, Osa.

Overall, Utah is not raking in the in-state recruits. There are still some big names out there, but we're long shots for all of them. We really need some of the LB talent in this class.

Now I know that recruiting is more then the guys in the area but I find it a little ironic that some people are predicting the demise of Utah football because Sitake and Tuiaki are going to Oregon St. and also bemoaning the fact that the Utes are doing terribly in-state when the two coaches responsible for in-state recruiting are Sitake and Tuiaki.

I tend to believe that in the very short term the loss of these guys will hurt recruiting but that Kyle understands that unlike with other hires he will need to make good and quick decisions with the replacements in order to calm the nerves of both current players and recruits.

Interesting article from the OC Register about Kevin Dixon, but the list of Orange County recruits and their commitments is interesting too.

http://epaper.ocregister.com/Olive/T...F24&id=Ar05302

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Chris Barr decommits.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Chris Barr decommits.
    Ouch. Most decommits are a blah, but that one hurts.

Yes, it does hurt. I wonder what happened?

Reports of a falling sky should be hitting any second now.

--Yeats

Did he do what all the cool kids do and de-commit via twitter, thanking the fans for everything (exactly what did we do?), saying he wants what is best for he and his family (another cliche that cracks me up..........exactly how is a college choice, that is being paid for, better or worse than another for the family? traveling maybe? beyond that, you got me.)

I am also going to guess that a long list of people lined up to say "Ute nation is sorry to see you go, but we wish you nothing but the best!"

I wonder if there is a service like http://www.invisibleboyfriend.com for Kyle to use, except for recruits and assistant coaches. Something like: invisible5starrecruts.com, or invisibleoffensivecoordinators.com ... I think that would help make the fan base less antsy.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I wonder if there is a service like http://www.invisibleboyfriend.com for Kyle to use, except for recruits and assistant coaches. Something like: invisible5starrecruts.com, or invisibleoffensivecoordinators.com ... I think that would help make the fan base less antsy.
    Hey, toolblue! Thanks for stopping in. This is top shelf stuff.

Kids change their minds all of the time. My daughter wanted to go to BYU-Hawaii out of high school. She got over there and decided after a week that it wasn't for her. She returned to SLC and went to the U. It worked out fine. I asked her what happened several times over the years and her response has always been the same "I hate all BYUs". No, not really. She said that once she got over there she felt like it was just too far away from home and wasn't ready for that.

I can understand a kid thinking he wants to get away from home but in the end deciding that Florida to Utah is just too far away from home.

I don't think the coaches did anything wrong or could have done anything different. I believe some kids just feel better being a little closer to home.

Hey, toolblue! Thanks for stopping in. This is top shelf stuff.
    Don't you live in the northeast? Did you get snowed in? The storm of the century passed us by thank goodness.

Is anyone else worried that the top 5 in state kids are leaving, our recruiting class is closer to Colorado's than ASU, Arizona, UCLA, and USC?

Love Whitt. He is an amazing coach. One of the best X and O's guys out there.

But his recruiting is TERRIBLE. This isn't good. Whitt's a good enough coach to get us to bowl games every year. But unless our recruiting gets a lot better really quick, we will be stuck between 7-9 wins a year.

Far from terrible, but not great either.

Chicken Little NOT.jpg

I am far from a recruiting maven, but it does seem to me that Kyle is pretty ingenious at cobbling together recruiting classes. His use of JC kids seems pretty effective. Booker is an example, and John White IV before him. Kaelin Clay, Tevin Carter, Tim Patrick are others. Andy Phillips and Tom Hackett are other under-the-radar gets. The coaches seem to have been moving very quickly. We lose Cedric Poutasi with no new OTs coming in. Somehow they came up with Capra (a Cal flip) and Dixon Jr. Both are PAC-12 OT size, over 6'5'' and reportedly athletic. Those who follow recruiting closely can probably give other examples. Maybe KW really was working on stuff like this back when we were all freaking out over his delay in to coming out with a statement.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Is anyone else worried that the top 5 in state kids are leaving, our recruiting class is closer to Colorado's than ASU, Arizona, UCLA, and USC?

Love Whitt. He is an amazing coach. One of the best X and O's guys out there.

But his recruiting is TERRIBLE. This isn't good. Whitt's a good enough coach to get us to bowl games every year. But unless our recruiting gets a lot better really quick, we will be stuck between 7-9 wins a year.

Far from terrible, but not great either.
    I think it is a mistake to look at rankings alone. They are misleading.
    OSU 82/2.38
    CU 62/2.72
    Utah 39/2.9
    Arizona 37/ 2.84
    Cal 32/ 3.05
    Stanford 31/3.19
    WSU 26/2.92
    Wash 24/3.04
    ASU 24/3.22
    UCLA 19/3.59
    Oregon 15/3.35
    USC 2/3.85

Some others of interest:

BYU 71/2.47
    TCU 27/2.96
    Wisconsin 22/2.88

To me, our 2.9 puts us in the same group as Cal, Wash., WSU and UA. Stanford and ASU are a step ahead and USC, Oregon and UCLA are a couple more steps ahead.

Obviously, I would rather have USC's class but we don't and never will. The reality is that we will be between 6 and 9 wins a year with a few years now and then when we are young and worse and a few years when we are seasoned and better. The reality is that other than USC and Oregon, that is the same boat that everyone else is in and has been in for the past 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think it is a mistake to look at rankings alone. They are misleading.

To me, our 2.9 puts us in the same group as Cal, Wash., WSU and UA. Stanford and ASU are a step ahead and USC, Oregon and UCLA are a couple more steps ahead.
    I'm with you. Look at the stars, not the team rankings.

Sure is a lot of beaver on that page. Which isn't all that uncommon on Twitter, but still...

It's good to hear. And, to be fair to Whitt, this last year was the first year he had a "PAC-12" team depth wise.

It's exciting to see where we go from here. 2015 should be a fantastic year.

It's too bad we couldn't land more in state kids. We have a great state talent wise, if we could keep 3 of the top 5 every year...watch out.

If that's his way of announcing his decision then he may be a candidate for the "turd" category that Larry has made famous.

--Yeats

2015 Football Recruiting

Barr committed to Southern Florida. Tells me a couple things.

1 he didn't want to be far from home

2 we may have backed off
    Last edited by Diehard Ute; 01-26-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Barr committee to Southern Florida. Tells me a couple things.

2 we may have backed off
    Well, he is 5'8" tall.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Barr committed to Southern Florida. Tells me a couple things.

2 we may have backed off
    If we did back off, I can only imagine that it was because of him expressing #1. We're short on receivers and the kid is talented, so I doubt we wanted to let him go if he was still willing to give the Utes a shot.

Another offensive lineman - James Empey.

James Empey@JEmpey66 5m5 minutes ago
    Committed to the University of Utah! I want to thank all the programs and coaches for recruiting me! #GoUtes!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Another offensive lineman - James Empey.
    Nice.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

A good solid offensive line can mask a lot of deficiencies elsewhere (to an extent). Welcome aboard, James!

I read that Porter Gustin will be taking an official visit up to campus on Wednesday. Gosh dang it, now im getting my hopes up.

Where are we on Christian Folau?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Where are we on Christian Folau?
    Apparently he'd isn't get an Oregon offer, so he's down to two. Utah and the Beavs. I like our chances.

I was thinking today as signing day draws closer. Okay, I was watching the Snoop Dog and Son show about his kid's senior year here in Vegas. I started wondering if Whittingham has changed his signing day strategy when it comes to straight mission kids after the whole Langi fiasco. Has Whitt decided that it's better to take the scholarship hit up front or continue to risk losing kids without penalty to other programs upon their return?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I was thinking today as signing day draws closer. Okay, I was watching the Snoop Dog and Son show about his kid's senior year here in Vegas. I started wondering if Whittingham has changed his signing day strategy when it comes to straight mission kids after the whole Langi fiasco. Has Whitt decided that it's better to take the scholarship hit up front or continue to risk losing kids without penalty to other programs upon their return?
    I think I would probably make that decision on a kid-by-kid basis. A guy like Empey could have gone a lot of places, so you may want to lock him up, same with guys like Christian Folau and Simi Moala, if they were to commit. On the other hand, there's a kid named Kautai from Texas that is going on a mission and has no other offers besides Utah--I think you'd roll the dice with a kid like that and not have him sign an LOI.

My son told me that, as of last week, Folau really wanted to go to Oregon. My son said he would have gone to Utah if Sitake were still there. He said Folau was not going to go to Oregon State. Sounds like since then, his mission plans have screwed up his offer to Oregon. I hope that Sitake hasn't changed his mind about OSU. FWIW. BTW, my son hears this second hand from other poly players on the team; he is not close to Folau at all.