Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Football Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    They probably don't say that about us anymore. It was true when we were in the MWC though.

Oregon has no business being included with Stanford and USC. The only advantage they hold over us is they win more games. That is probably going to change this season.
    Here we go again...

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    #5 Johnny Capra - a nice flip in our favor this week.
    6. Caleb Repp, DE (First time I've even heard this kid's name.
    7. Kevin Dixon, OT

Rivals currently has our class ranked 39, scout has it 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    6. Caleb Repp, DE (First time I've even heard this kid's name.
    7. Kevin Dixon, OT
    8. Alfred "Tarzan" Smith, WR

Our class is actually looking pretty good. Lots of 3 star talent. Especially impressive, considering all the drama with the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    We should never, ever, lose a recruit to Boise State. Somebody dropped the ball on that one if it turns out to be true.
    It makes about 1000 times more sense to lose a recruit to Boise than to lose one (or four) to Oregon State.

Boise has more football tradition and is a better program than OSU. Boise has a better coaching staff than OSU. Boise just won the Fiesta Bowl for the 3rd time. I'm not sure OSU has ever won a big bowl game. Boise is a nicer place than Corvallis, and they let you pump your own gas in Boise. Boise has better uniforms than OSU, and Nike spends a lot of time on Boise St.

The only advantage of OSU is that you get to play a much better schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I'd argue that these three things killed us during the stretch run:

1. Head coach who spent two weeks with his status up in the air.
    2. No coordinators for more than a month.
    3. After a big delay, there was no big name hire, it was just internal promotions.

3 would have been fine if not for 2.
    I don't think these things hurt us much. We lost Masina and Gustin, but we were never landing those two. We lost four guys to Oregon State, and that had everything to do with the backstabbers GA and Sitake and nothing to do with our lack of coordinators. And we are losing a kid to Boise, which is just the kind of random flip that always happens.

I hate losing Noah to OSU. I really wanted the two sport thing here. And I really wanted an athletic, stud TE. And an extra body on the basketball team without costing a scholarship would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't think these things hurt us much. We lost Masina and Gustin, but we were never landing those two. We lost four guys to Oregon State, and that had everything to do with the backstabbers GA and Sitake and nothing to do with our lack of coordinators. And we are losing a kid to Boise, which is just the kind of random flip that always happens.

I hate losing Noah to OSU. I really wanted the two sport thing here. And I really wanted an athletic, stud TE. And an extra body on the basketball team without costing a scholarship would be nice.
    I think it hurt more than the staff will let on, but yeah, I agree with your general sentiment and taking a second look, Im more impressed with our class than I had initially pictured.

It makes about 1000 times more sense to lose a recruit to Boise than to lose one (or four) to Oregon State.

Boise has more football tradition and is a better program than OSU. Boise has a better coaching staff than OSU. Boise just won the Fiesta Bowl for the 3rd time. I'm not sure OSU has ever won a big bowl game. Boise is a nicer place than Corvallis, and they let you pump your own gas in Boise. Boise has better uniforms than OSU, and Nike spends a lot of time on Boise St.

The only advantage of OSU is that you get to play a much better schedule.
    Well it goes without saying that we shouldn't be losing recruits to Oregon State either. Except they have good recruiters, with coaching ties to our program, so we can expect to lose a few recruits to them.

...Boise just won the Fiesta Bowl for the 3rd time. I'm not sure OSU has ever won a big bowl game...

I was there when OSU kicked the crap out of Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. Seems like a dozen years ago or more though. Anyway, that was a great team, coached by Erickson. I think they finished 3rd in the final polls.

But on the whole, you're right.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I think it hurt more than the staff will let on, but yeah, I agree with your general sentiment and taking a second look, Im more impressed with our class than I had initially pictured.
    I don't think anything hurts worse than the offensive coaching carousel. No one knows what to expect, so no one wants to commit to that circus. Hopefully that is behind us now.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Except for the o line, this appears to be a very mediocre class. Weak at skill positions.
    Well, if you have to pick one position to do well in, it has to be the line.

I think it's reasonable to hope that at least one of the JuCo WRs pans out. Skill positions are the toughest to evaluate, so those are the positions where 2 and 3 star recruits more frequently end up surprising. Actually, I made that up, but it sounds true!

Well, if you have to pick one position to do well in, it has to be the line.

I think it's reasonable to hope that at least one of the JuCo WRs pans out. Skill positions are the toughest to evaluate, so those are the positions where 2 and 3 star recruits more frequently end up surprising. Actually, I made that up, but it sounds true!
    Looking over past classes, i think you are right. Some of these kids will eventually hear their names called in the NFL draft. Some of these kids will never play a down for us. The joys of recruiting.

On to the good news. The first letters of the day has been sent. Both from the same Florida high school.

1. Tyson Cisrow, Safety.
    2. Chris Hart, DE.
    These two guys, along with Paulo are the best players in this class. I am still holding out hope that we land Jaylen Hawkins out of Buena Park. His high school head coach is a former Ute that played for Whitt. He would be a great get.

8. Alfred "Tarzan" Smith, WR
    I find this one somewhat interesting as he and Isom played together in HS. I saw them tweeting back and forth about Utah last year when Isom committed and Smith verbally committed.

It means Isom didn't talk him out of coming.

9. Marcel Brooks-Brown, RB.
    10. Deniko Carter, WR

Defeatist post: UCLA is bringing in a top 10 class. So is USC. The South is a nightmare division. Even with good classes, Utah will have a hard time competing.

I'll be in a wet suit and out of cell range for the next 5 hours. Hopefully Wilson and Hawkins are waiting for me with their crimson caps on when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    on the radio, talking heads said Wilson is going to BSU and Hawkins to ASU, in all probability. Except for the o line, this appears to be a very mediocre class. Weak at skill positions. DJ and PK are having Gary Anderson on in a bit as they have become the new pr men for OSU. OSU really is going to be our rival in the Pac 12.
    I guess those two radio guys are doing this because it will get people riled up -- that's low-end talk radio for you -- but it still irritates me. I won't listen to those guys because of stunts like this.

While I am in a pessimistic mood, I wonder what the Pease hire means--if it means KW is a short timer, and is going to look at every job next year too. Or does it just mean he didnt get others he asked first, as when he promoted BJ.
    Good questions. But since I've given up trying to figure out Kyle's way of thinking, I won't try to answer. My gut tells me KW is not a short-timer, but who really knows?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Defeatist post: UCLA is bringing in a top 10 class. So is USC. The South is a nightmare division. Even with good classes, Utah will have a hard time competing.
    ASU isn't far behind either.

2015 Football Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Good questions. But since I've given up trying to figure out Kyle's way of thinking, I won't try to answer. My gut tells me KW is not a short-timer, but who really knows?
    Pretty sure Pease is a short time hire. Not a typical move by a short timer. If the wins are there, I think we have Kyle for at least another five years.

I guess those two radio guys are doing this because it will get people riled up -- that's low-end talk radio for you -- but it still irritates me. I won't listen to those guys because of stunts like this.

Unfortunately, DJ and PK have a schtick that works. And as long as their competition includes "Monty" (a less funny, less knowledgeable, less connected version of them) and Dan Patrick (not as much interest in national radio), they will continue to keep it up. I'd love to see ESPN 700 move Dan to his old slot before Bill, drop Cowherd, and hire a big name locally for the mornings. Id just as soon see them switch their affiliation to fox sports radio too.

ASU isn't far behind either.
    Kool-Aid.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Back to the good news!

11. Darrin Paulo, OT!

Guess we will just have to pride ourselves in beating the inferior teams, like Oregon State.

#12 Philip Afia!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

#12 Philip Afia!
    Is this the first positive surprise today?

Is this the first positive surprise today?
    I think he was with the Utes the whole time...AND we beat out Boise St. Word.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I think he was with the Utes the whole time...AND we beat out Boise St. Word.
    Oh the BSU tide has changed!

Utes announce 2014 signee Tyrone Smith 6'4" 197 LB WR has enrolled and will participate in spring ball. He is a freshman. Spent last year getting academics in order.