Thread: Going to Oahu

Going to Oahu

In a couple of weeks my wife and I are headed to Oahu for a week, and was wondering if there are any must sees or little hidden gems worth seeing while we are there. We are already doing Pearl Harbor (and everything that encompases), as well as the PCC on the North Shore. Other than that we're going to play it by ear. Any suggestions?

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    In a couple of weeks my wife and I are headed to Oahu for a week, and was wondering if there are any must sees or little hidden gems worth seeing while we are there. We are already doing Pearl Harbor (and everything that encompases), as well as the PCC on the North Shore. Other than that we're going to play it by ear. Any suggestions?
    IMO, Pearl Harbor is a must see. I wouldn't plan on rushing that. I'd spend an entire day there to learn the history and appreciate the significance of that place. I was unprepared for the emotional and, (dare I say it?) spiritual impact it had on me. I wouldn't rush it and I wouldn't plan "light hearted" activities around it.

I just returned last week. I have not visited Oahu in 13 years and it is dramatically cleaned up over the years, especially around Waikiki. I was very impressed. (I usually go to Maui, Lanai, or Big Island)

I would throw in a round of golf at Turtle Bay. Maybe plan to eat dinner at one of the little Thai cafes next to Sunset Beach, at Sunset. If you want drinks I recommend Barefoot Bar, on the beach at Hale Ko'a for nice atmosphere and live music, or hit any of the other similar restaurants or bars.

Try to avoid eating at food chains ad much as possible, but make an exception for Duke's and maybe Cheeseburger in Paradise. Kobe Steakhouse on Ala Moana Parkway is nice (Benihana style). Honolulu has very good Korean restaurants too.

I am a pilot and next time I go there I want to take a sailplane flight around the cliffs on the northwest side of the island.

When you go to the north side of the island, plan ahead and take the roads that follow the beach instead of H2, H3, and Pali Hwy. They are worth it for the views.

Traffic from Waikiki to Pearl City is very crowded. Plan ahead.

Spend as much time in the water as possible, at as many beaches as possible.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 05-28-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Not Oahu (thankfully), but in Kauai. Snorkeling in Poipu Bay, the fish and reef was disappointing. But spotting this snowflake moray eel made the effort a success.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!