Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Soccer Thread or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It's not there now, but his Wikipedia page said he was the greatest American since Abraham Lincoln.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    That was funny.

Great goal. great game.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

That was an incredible game to watch.

That said, I feel this euphoria will be short lived. It seemed to me that the US got a bit of a break. I don't know if they looked past the US or not, but I thought Ghana looked like the more talented team. They were faster and possessed the ball better. The US, and particularly Beckerman, played pretty solid defense, but Ghana blew a few opportunities.

A lot depends on which Portuguese team shows up. Germany may have just kicked the hornet's nest before throwing it in our laps.

As an aside: if any of my kids go on to play soccer competitively, I'll be damned if any of them will get stretchered off for a pulled hamstring.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It's not there now, but his Wikipedia page said he was the greatest American since Abraham Lincoln.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    r/Worldcup delivers

brooks_american.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Why did the US, knowing that they were going to Brazil in the summer, not hold their training camp in humid Mississippi or Florida instead of freaking Palo Alto?

Speaking of which, this was a pretty funny article, though a couple of days old now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/14/sp...2RI%3A17%22%5D

What a game! That 0-0 tie was as exciting as anything else I've seen in sports this year.

Brazil should have had 3-4 goals, but Ochoa was amazing.
    La Virgen was smiling down upon Ochoa today.

Neymar is too obsessed with his fancy feet for my tastes. He's got a too much little Jason Williams (the White Chocolate one, not the murderer one) in him.

This was a blast. The dude with the flag in front of the camera at second 31 is me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d04F5z-tNlo

USA v Portugal. 20 years ago, to the date, I was a Mormon missionary in Portugal when we beat Colombia 2-1.

Today, I live in and love Brazil. And my country is playing Portugal tomorrow. We qualify if we win.

We have to win. I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

Bummer. But I am glad Nani scored. Cabo Verdiano with a great story. Lived in Amadora, where I spent six months of my mission. I wanted to win but this was a fine result

Gonna be tough to advance now. A win vs Germany seems unobtainable. So the two most likely ways to advance are:

1) Tie with Germany. Unlikely but possible.

2) Portugal beats Ghana. With how Ghana is playing, this seems unlikely too.

The most likely outcomes - Germany beats us and Ghana beats Portugal - will likely have us packing for home.
    I'm more sanguine. The US is very good. We have a great shot to advance

Europe's greatest nation - Greece - advances on an extra time penalty kick.

And it's Costa Rica/Greece in the round of 16. One of those two teams is going to be a quarter finalist.
    And we're guaranteed to have a South American team in the final four: Colombia, Brazil, Uruguay, and Chile are all matched together.

What's with that? If Ecuador manages to get in, they will play Argentina. All the South American teams are matched up. I would much rather see them go against the Euros.
    Agreed. It's really nice to see Italy, England, and Spain bite the dust, but we need France and especially Germany to meet an early demise as well.

I can cheer for the Greeks and the Dutch.

Noah might be the only person that can get to the game with all the flooding...but the game will be played!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

US is through the group of death (sorry Italy and England, if you let Costa Rica through, you don't get to claim hardship). I would say we've played about 45 minutes total of good possession soccer so far.
    They remind me of the PAC-12 Ute football team: the US plays great defense and has no offense.

I don't know Altador, but the announcers talk highly of him. When is he due back?

What an incredible game. The oranje are the first ever to win when trailing in 88 mins...

Brazil has its problems, but it knows how to throw a party! Best time of my life here!

What a day! Argentina/Swizterland. If you don't want to be a part of the world, Swiss, you shouldn't be a part of the world cup. Go home.
    You were cheering for Argentina?!??! How could you? The U.S could have had a Belgium-Switzerland path to the final four. That would have been the snootiest path in the history of the World Cup.

Vincent Kompany tweets after the game about Tim Howard:

https://twitter.com/VincentKompany/s...12080988307456

What a game. I'm just back from Salvador and will post pics.

This world cup has been amazing. The stories I could tell...

Can't wait for Holland x Argentina. The ticos played great but Krul was incredible. If there is a god in heaven, he'll send these insufferable argentines home with a punishing loss against the oranje

ECHTE MANNEN DRAGEN ORANJE

Brazil Germany

First place, baby! Down to me (Argentina), Chrisrenrut (Brazil), and Chazsexington (Germany)
    and then there were two, my friend.
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 07-08-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Argentina vs Germany. Good vs Evil. Sancho vs Sexington.
    "Evil" is such a strong word. I prefer "good-impaired."
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

52% of respondents to ESPN poll are rooting for Germany. If we needed any more proof of the decline of this nation, we now have it.

I'm getting ingredients together for an empanada celebration on Sunday. Beef empanadas, chorizo and potato, and spinach and cheese. Mmmmm... the taste of victory.

I made 50 empanadas - split between beef/pepper/egg/olive and chorizo/potato. They were supposed to be my victory pies. Now they will all taste like losing.
    Messi's "I'm dead inside" face is all the dinner I need.

So, you're a big uniform guy, right? Why in the world would they not have Argentina in their famous abliceleste unis yesterday? It's probably the most iconic national team jersey (maybe tied with Brazil's yellow). Nobody cares about the German uni, so why not have Argentina in their classic and put Germany in black? I think this is the real difference in the game's outcome.
    Home team (which was Germany) picks the kit they want to wear, the other team accommodates. Germany's whites are certainly iconic (maybe not as much as their greens, but I digress), but as you say, Argentina's sky blue is a step beyond. HOWEVER, if I'm Germany and I get to pick who is wearing what kit...I definitely want to force the other team to play in anything but their comfortable iconic apparel...especially if it means I get to wear MY iconic kit.
    Last edited by DanielLaRusso; 07-14-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Would someone rename this thread "The soccer thread" or something like that?
    Done unless you want a funny name for it
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla