Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: NY Times: Dehlin and Kelly facing Excommunication

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I know you are just ranting, but really, it's true. A lot of the listed issues are silly.

Tithing transparency? How transparent do we need? I don't have any spreadsheets, but I have a pretty good idea of how the LDS Church spends its money. Can you imagine if every dollar were transparent? Can you imagine volume of whininess as arc steadiers everywhere complain about every penny?

De-canonise D&C 132? Hey, I'm starting a campaign for the Catholic Church to de-canonize John 1 because I find it confusing. I can't believe they aren't receptive to my idea.

Teach about polygamy? Where? In what setting? It's not a Sunday School topic. It's a topic for a history class. Anyone who wants to can learn all about it.

Use Church money to help the poor? Someone isn't paying attention.

Some of the other issues are really worth talking/thinking about (gender equality, gay marriage), but these are a waste of time.
    Sancho, you really don't have an idea about how they spend their money. I think you might be really surprised.

Maybe I would, but I can see a lot of the spending going on around me constantly. Buildings, land, materials, activities, universities, programs, salaries, food, aid, etc. What are the things I would be surprised about? Is the church building a death star?
    BYU Athletics.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Sancho, you really don't have an idea about how they spend their money. I think you might be really surprised.
    And you do? lol you have no idea whatsoever. You are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    BYU Athletics.

Maybe I would, but I can see a lot of the spending going on around me constantly. Buildings, land, materials, activities, universities, programs, salaries, food, aid, etc. What are the things I would be surprised about? Is the church building a death star?
    No, IHC already built that.

It sounds like Dehlin and Kelly have had a major falling out with Kelly accusing him of exploiting women to grow his podcast in a since deleted facebook rant.

In the years since these two have entered the discussion on lds faith crisis, I've gained some respect for dehlin. I still believe he's a bit of an attention seeker but I think he and people like debra jenson genuinely care about people.

Kelly on the other hand is a complete nut.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    It sounds like Dehlin and Kelly have had a major falling out with Kelly accusing him of exploiting women to grow his podcast in a since deleted facebook rant.

In the years since these two have entered the discussion on lds faith crisis, I've gained some respect for dehlin. I still believe he's a bit of an attention seeker but I think he and people like debra jenson genuinely care about people.

Kelly on the other hand is a complete nut.
    Interesting. I haven't followed either closely, but my impression from a distance has been the opposite. Dehlin seems to be all about himself, while Kelly looks like she's just really passionate about her politics.

Who is Debra Jensen?

Slightly off topic but a while back I was helping out with a charitable event and posted a link to it on Facebook. The funniest comment I got was, "I would have loved to help but I already helped Kate Kelly get a laptop."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I haven't followed either closely, but my impression from a distance has been the opposite. Dehlin seems to be all about himself, while Kelly looks like she's just really passionate about her politics.

Who is Debra Jensen?
    I probably phrased that poorly. I agree that Kelly is passionate about her causes, I just think she lacks the honesty and self control to be taken seriously. Just looking through dehlin s long response on his own page, there's a lot of strong ow folks who are distancing themselves from her.

I also think dehlin is out for himself and his name getting out there. But I also think he genuinely cares about the world around him. I don't know.

Debra is the somewhat leader of ow now. She is sincere in what she does but unfortunately, I think Kelly has made that group hard to take seriously for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Slightly off topic but a while back I was helping out with a charitable event and posted a link to it on Facebook. The funniest comment I got was, "I would have loved to help but I already helped Kate Kelly get a laptop."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hahahahahaha!!!!!