Thread: Spring Break (with the kids) in Waikiki

Banned

Spring Break (with the kids) in Waikiki

Got the spring break trip planned for Hawaii.

Dragging the teenagers (boys) and 8 year old (daughter) with us to Waikiki.

The wife and I have been to several of the Hawaiian islands, but the kids have never been... So 10 days on Waikiki its going to be.

I'm staying in a condo right on the beach. Love this place. If you check out the link, click the picture for the virtual tour (it's pretty cool)

http://www.panaviz.com/customers/cas...ore/index.html

Any suggestions out there for fun things to see/do while we are there?

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Got the spring break trip planned for Hawaii.

Dragging the teenagers (boys) and 8 year old (daughter) with us to Waikiki.

The wife and I have been to several of the Hawaiian islands, but the kids have never been... So 10 days on Waikiki its going to be.

I'm staying in a condo right on the beach. Love this place. If you check out the link, click the picture for the virtual tour (it's pretty cool)

http://www.panaviz.com/customers/cas...ore/index.html

Any suggestions out there for fun things to see/do while we are there?

Nice place, except how do you get to the beach that is only 30 feet away? I've never stayed on Waikiki, always North Shore, or Maui. With a pad like that, I'd think I'd like to give it a try.

I would check out Lanikai beach. Maybe take a canoe out to the islands off the beach (forget what they're called).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Nice place, except how do you get to the beach that is only 30 feet away? I've never stayed on Waikiki, always North Shore, or Maui. With a pad like that, I'd think I'd like to give it a try.
    I thought Waikiki would keep the teenagers busy. They can run around if they get bored of the ocean and sand. Getting to the beach is easy, you just ride the elevator down.

Looks cool Norm... I'll check into that.

Devildog,
    You have boardmail.
    SDUF
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    Devildog,
    You have boardmail.
    SDUF
    Thanks! Great idea that sounds like the kids would love.

Used to live there. so much to see and do.

Start with this short list (some of it assumes that you are still a Marine, or still have an ID card):
    Go to the Hale Koa hotel for lunch, or wander over to the restaurants at night. Great military museum right next door that almost no one knows about. The hotel is a Military R&R site, much like Garmisch.
    Go to the North Shore, anywhere, but I like Haleiwa. Don't miss the falls, which are up by the big surf. You can swim with the turtles. You can dive off cliffs (be careful, you can also die).
    Go to Bellows Beach. On weekdays, it's only open to military and their families. Great sand. And you might get to see Marines doing amphib practice.
    Go on a hike. Many, many trails all over the island, we liked hiking the Aiea Loop, which is in the mountains above Pearl Harbor. 10 KM of beautiful.
    Speaking of Pearl Harbor... and don't miss the trip out to the Arizona.
    Go to Diamond Head Crater and do the hike. Amazing view at the top.
    Best beach? Sandy Beach, out just past Koko Crater. Amazing place.
    Why not snorkel at Hanauma Bay? And chill on the beach for the day? One of most amazing experiences you can have in the water without putting on gear.
    A day at the Polynesian Cultural Center is a great way to learn about the local cultures, and the dinner with show is completely worth it (a nice luau).
    If you don't go to that luau, find one somewhere. They're great fun, and the food is wonderful.
    The Bishop Museum in downtown Honolulu is completely worth spending an afternoon learning about the history of the islands. The whole family will enjoy it.
    Go to the
    Liliha Bakery for Cocoa Puffs. Hint, they're not a breakfast cereal... And they are amazing
    Go to the Original Pancake House for breakfast one day, but go hungry.

There are more ideas, but these are the highlights.

Hooah, and Oorah.

Last edited by Expat; 02-23-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: grammar
    Life is not a zero-sum game - we can all succeed together, and we can all be better off for it

Banned
    Thanks Expat, there are some great ideas here.

I have some friends currently stationed at Kaneohe MCB.

I appreciate you taking the time and making some suggestions, I've been to Oahu a few times, but I've never lived there and wasn't aware of some of the stuff on your list.

Oorah and Hooah.

Returned from SB from Costa Rica. We have been to Hawaii many times as we own a timeshare, and needless to say, we really do love Hawaii....Kauai, Oahu & Maui. We've never been to the big island.

Anyway, we had a fabulous time in Guanacaste, Costa Rica and believe it would be a great alternative for those seeking a beach experience but wanting something different than Hawaii, Florida etc.... What you get is an "authentic" experience -- i.e. modest living throughout most of the region -- affordable, terrific waves & beaches (don't measure up to North Shore or Jaws etc.... but really, how many of us can handle those waves anyway), interesting sites and excursions, friendly towards visitors, and experience a different culture....different food, standard of living, wild monkeys, etc...

Maybe something to consider in the future.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Returned from SB from Costa Rica. We have been to Hawaii many times as we own a timeshare, and needless to say, we really do love Hawaii....Kauai, Oahu & Maui. We've never been to the big island.

Anyway, we had a fabulous time in Guanacaste, Costa Rica and believe it would be a great alternative for those seeking a beach experience but wanting something different than Hawaii, Florida etc.... What you get is an "authentic" experience -- i.e. modest living throughout most of the region -- affordable, terrific waves & beaches (don't measure up to North Shore or Jaws etc.... but really, how many of us can handle those waves anyway), interesting sites and excursions, friendly towards visitors, and experience a different culture....different food, standard of living, wild monkeys, etc...

Good to know. I've always wanted to go.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Leaving on Saturday
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I can't believe I am saying this.

My wife is taking the kids to see her mother over spring break. After a chaotic last 5 months, I would rather have a week and a half without anyone around than a week and a half with the whole family in Hawaii.

I know I will take those words back in a few weeks, but as it stands right now I am counting down the hours for them to all leave.

Banned
    I would love to visit Costa Rica. The "authentic" beach experience would be great. The wife and I love North Kauai for that very reason, albeit... it is still in the U.S.

My teenagers are at the age where the excitement is in the crowds, and the energy of Waikiki with all the shopping, stuff to look at, and things to do, it will keep them entertained for 10 days. I plan on spending time with my eight year old daughter visiting the beach, the aquarium, and making excursions.

I fully understand what Orange Ute is saying though. As this trip grows closer... I'm getting nervous about all the planning, details, and packing... and I'm dreading the trip there (everyone is over packing IMO). To me it sure would make for a more peaceful spring break to just kick it around home and get some of the things done I need to for spring around my house.

Oh well, I hope this is a happy and memorable trip with the kids.

I hope you have a great trip too Hostile.

Good to hear that yours was fun MUUser.
    Last edited by Devildog; 03-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.

I hope you'll return and report.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Banned
    I will, but my photography sucks compared to those posting in the picture thread. I take pictures anyway.

I will. I'm looking forward to this trip. My wife is the de facto travel agent in our house; if it were left up to me we wouldn't go anywhere. She has planned this whole thing. Our kids are 12/10/7/5 and this our first big trip outside the US. We have done British Colombia but being able to speak the language makes a huge difference.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Banned
    The weekend has been outstanding. The kids are having so much fun. My wife insisted that the kids cover themselves in sun screen which was a good idea, because I didn't, and am about the same color as a cooked Maine lobster.

I am already in Jimmy Buffett mode and find myself wondering why I don't live like this everyday... But then the check comes... and I remember why.

So many gorgeous people here from all around the world.

Last edited by Devildog; 04-01-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Some more unusual things for teens:

Night surfing at Waikiki. The reef sharks are fairly small. And they're there during the day too, just sleeping.
    Paddle boarding at Magic Island. Two chicks have a paddle board rental.
    Brunch at Sam Choys (out on Nimitz Highway). Go hungry, very hungry. Expect a lot of weird stuff.
    Observe Statue of BYU Offensive Coordinator Robert Anae, Waikiki Beach. He's there with his surfboard. Muahahahahahaha!
    Hike up the train trestle in Hawaii Kai
    Drive out to Kahuku Golf Course. Look in the bushes off the fairways for old golf balls. Sneak onto the 6th hole green. Turn and face the water and tee up those puppies far out into the clear blue water, trying not to imaging the terrible environmental damage you are doing.
    Drive up to Pupukea to the Heiau. Hike around among the ancient Hawaiian graves. Do not remove any rocks. You'll be sorry if you do.
    Drive out to the North Shore. Stop in Haleiwa and climb up Anahulu Bridge. Scale the bridge. Jump from the top, avoiding the power lines. It's kind of shallow, so watch how the locals do it.

Banned
    Back home now... Damn.

Really wish I wasn't.

Great pics, DD, makes me want to get back there soon.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Great pics, DD, makes me want to get back there soon.
    Thanks Jarid I appreciate that, but I realize my photography skills and my camera are only just adequate. I don't make taking pictures the goal, I just snap them as I'm going along, and if the time allows without making specific time for pics. Still, as they say... a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, in this case... maybe at least a sentence.

Banned

I see you made it to the statue of Robert Anae.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I see you made it to the statue of Robert Anae.
    Is that really true? Did he pose for the Duke's statue?

I also made it to Magic Island as you suggested, although I did my paddle boarding from the beach. The boys and I did observe the night surfers on Waikiki but did not participate because I am not good enough.

Awesome trip. Looks fantastic, and makes me homesick. I actually think Eddie Aikau posed for that statue. Great surfer. Huge loss when he died.
    Life is not a zero-sum game - we can all succeed together, and we can all be better off for it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Awesome trip. Looks fantastic, and makes me homesick. I actually think Eddie Aikau posed for that statue. Great surfer. Huge loss when he died.
    I wish I could consider Hawaii home. From what I've heard from friends and family... Germany is incredible too. You are a lucky man Expat.

My heritage is German, I'd really like to see it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Leaving on Saturday
    I will......
    Well????

Well????
    OK, we're back. After a 22 hour travel day, we arrived home at 2 am Friday morning. I have been on-call this entire weekend spending all day Saturday and Sunday at work.

This was a trip that my wife and I have been talking about doing for a while. She finally got tired of me dragging my feet and put the trip together. My oldest is in 6th grade and the youngest is in kindergarten. We figured that we don't have too many more years available to take an extended trip like this. My wife identified a couple of places that had received good reviews and set things up for a 12 day trip.

We flew through Atlanta into San Jose, arriving late on the 30th. We then were driven 4 hours to the Pacific coast on the Nicoya peninsula. We stayed in a hotel in a little town, Islita. Accomodations were nice and the staff was great. Kids had fun at the beach and walking into town to visit La Pulperia every day for Orange Fanta. We really enjoyed the people - everyone was friendly. I was trying to find honey. When I explained what I was looking for the store owner said they didn't have any. Someone overheard me and said he would get me some. I said that wasn't necessary but he said it would be no problem as he was going into the jungle that night to get wild honey. The next day he had a pint of fresh wild honey for me. My kids had gathered up school supplies from families in our neighborhood to donate to some of the local schools (my wife's idea) and really enjoyed visiting with the kids.

After 6 days in Islita we flew south to the Osa Peninsula and spent the next 6 days about 10 miles south of Puerto Jiminez. Kids and I surfed, hiked, snorkeled and were awed by the beauty and wildlife. My 7 year old is still begging for a pet monkey. The rain had started to arrive further south and the difference between the two areas was noticeable. The place where we stayed had started a school for the locals in the remote area where we were. We visited the school with supplies and several soccer balls. The kids were ecstatic and my kids had fun with a pick up game of soccer.

We really had a great time. I'll post pics later. We would definitely like to return. My neighbor has a house in Nosara, on the Pacific coast. Next trip I'd like to rent a house and travel around a bit more. We didn't really see any of San Jose or around the volcanoes.

(Apologies to Wuap for not taking advantage of his knowledge/insight)
    Last edited by hostile; 04-15-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Banned
    After reading the report of your trip Hostile... All I can say is... Damn.

That is quite an adventure, and I admire you. That dedication to being a solid human being is easy to respect.

I am too lazy at this point for an adventure like that. It was all I could do to tolerate the regular - average - everyday - teenage bitching and complaints that came from my own unappreciative and ungrateful brats during our 10 days in paradise together.

I guess having everything under the sun at my fingertips, and still finding ample reason to complain is more my style.

Thank goodness there was a Starbucks on almost every corner in Waikiki. The Mai Tai beach bar at the Royal Hawaiian also helped preserve my sanity on several occasions.

Here we are going to get some gelato with the fam on the Beachwalk at night.

My hotel just before leaving the beach at the end of the day.

I was forced to muster the strength to walk almost a couple hundred yards to the elevator. Turns out they have guys on the beach there that will put up beach umbrellas with tables and set up a couple lounge chairs so you don't get sand on/in your junk... for about 30 well spent bucks a day. When you're done... you just get up and leave, and they come and get the stuff.

Last edited by Devildog; 04-15-2013 at 11:57 PM.

(Apologies to Wuap for not taking advantage of his knowledge/insight)

Well, since you didn't see any volcanoes.......
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes