Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Whittingham Thread

I think his seat is pretty cold.and I am ecstatic about how tough this team is. And resilient. But he has got to get the offense figured out. We can't go on like this year after year. Has there ever been a quarterback who developed and became better after he arrived at the U? Other than Alex and BJ of course.
    Last edited by concerned; 10-17-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I think his seat is pretty cold.and I am ecstatic about how tough this team is. And resilient. But he has got to get the office figured out. We can't go on like this year after year. Has there ever been a quarterback who developed and became better after he arrived at the U? Other than Alex and BJ of course.
    Ratliff

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I think his seat is pretty cold.and I am ecstatic about how tough this team is. And resilient. But he has got to get the office figured out. We can't go on like this year after year. Has there ever been a quarterback who developed and became better after he arrived at the U? Other than Alex and BJ of course.
    BJ at mid-season 2008 -- recall an offense that struggled at home against Oregon State -- was getting a lot of flack from the at least a portion of the fanbase.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    BJ at mid-season 2008 -- recall an offense that struggled at home against Oregon State -- was getting a lot of flack from the at least a portion of the fanbase.
    I remember him getting lots of flack over both his junior and senior years.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I remember him getting lots of flack over both his junior and senior years.
    Wasn't he 5-5 when he got hurt vs. UNM? Ratliff came in and beat BYU that year...if I have my seasons right.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Wasn't he 5-5 when he got hurt vs. UNM? Ratliff came in and beat BYU that year...if I have my seasons right.
    I remember lots of people (including me) wondering if he had the killer instinct (it turned out he did) and why he always seemed to have happy feet. He got better.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

That was his true soph year.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    This is at best a very ignorant comment; at worst pretty damn stupid.

Utah would suck to this day if it weren't for Mac. No Urban Meyer, no Fiesta Bowl, No Sugar Bowl, no 34-31, no Kyle Whittingham and very likely no PAC 12. I get that MAC had his weaknesses as a coach, but lets try to be responsible and show even the tiniest smidgens of gratitude for saving the football program.

Who knows, if he inherited what he left to Meyer back in 1990, maybe we are talking about a few special years.
    This is like saying had there been no Middle Ages after the fall of Rome there would have been no Renaissance, no Enlightenment, and no America. It's hard to argue with what actually happened. But hell, wasn't there a more direct way? Actually, you can look at it the other way and say the fact there was ancient Greece and ancient Rome and there is now modern Europe and the United States shows that the Middle Ages really underacheived.

I was born in 1958, I have been a diehard ute fan since I was six, and I did not see them win an outright football championship until Urban Meyer in 2003. That's unacceptable. They were a big fish in a small pond and should have been dominating the WAC and MWC like they ultimately did, and like Arizona State did before it went to the pac 12.

I've been consistent. Clear back when Matt had his board, and in the early days of Webmonkey's board, I said I didn't like Mac. I always felt his teams were undisciplined, and underachieving. yes, he was a friend, the players' asshole buddy. Look what he did at Weber. Nothing. I wanted him fired five years before it happened. He was a mediocre coach. Better than Tom Lovat and the others, yes. But we deserved much more, and history says I'm right. Thank God Chris Hill finally fired him or we'd still be in the MWC.

By the way, I've been consistent in defending Whit and saying it's ludicrous to say he's on the hot seat and I defended Majerus until the bitter end, after LA and SoCal and most everyone else abandoned him. I love our current basketball coach. Mac, not so much. And yes, I loath Boylen.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 10-17-2014 at 11:30 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    This is like saying had there been no Middle Ages after the fall of Rome there would have been no Renaissance, no Enlightenment, and no America. It's hard to argue with what actually happened. But hell, wasn't there a more direct way? Actually, you can look at it the other way and say the fact there was ancient Greece and ancient Rome and there is now modern Europe and the United States shows that the Middle Ages really underacheived.

I was born in 1958, I have been a diehard ute fan since I was six, and I did not see them win an outright football championship until Urban Meyer in 2003. That's unacceptable. They were a big fish in a small pond and should have been dominating the WAC and MWC like they ultimately did, and like Arizona State did before it went to the pac 12.

I've been consistent. Clear back when Matt had his board, and in the early days of Webmonkey's board, I said I didn't like Mac. I always felt his teams were undisciplined, and underachieving. yes, he was a friend, the players' asshole buddy. Look what he did at Weber. Nothing. I wanted him fired five years before it happened. He was a mediocre coach. Better than Tom Lovat and the others, yes. But we deserved much more, and history says I'm right. Thank God Chris Hill finally fired him or we'd still be in the MWC.

By the way, I've been consistent in defending Whit and saying it's ludicrous to say he's on the hot seat and I defended Majerus until the bitter end, after LA and SoCal and most everyone else abandoned him. I love our current basketball coach. Mac, not so much. And yes, I loath Boylen.
    Congratulations on being consistently stupid regarding Mac.
    "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching."
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    Congratulations on being consistently stupid regarding Mac.
    Congratulations on being consistently insipid regarding Mac.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

By the way, I've been consistent in defending Whit and saying it's ludicrous to say he's on the hot seat and I defended Majerus until the bitter end, after LA and SoCal and most everyone else abandoned him.
    Wow. You think these loyalties to certain Utah coaches are shining examples of your Ute fandom? And you think they have something to do with AJ's perfectly unoffensive comment that watching this year's Ute team reminds him of Mac's teams?

--Yeats

Wow. You think these loyalties to certain Utah coaches are shining examples of your Ute fandom? And you think they have something to do with AJ's perfectly unoffensive comment that watching this year's Ute team reminds him of Mac's teams?
    I didn't make that argument. I only described my Ute fandom for background. I do think my judgments of these coaches have been sound, regardless of my fandom.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I don't know how anyone can call Kyle's offenses anything other than frustrating to watch.

I also don't know how anyone can call kyle's seat anything but cold.

I didn't make that argument. I only described my Ute fandom for background. I do think my judgments of these coaches have been sound, regardless of my fandom.
    Reasonable and knowledgeable fans have had questions about whether Kyle has what it takes to succeed in the PAC-12. The same was true of the question whether it was time for Majerus to move on. (Think runnutz on both questions.) If you have thought differently that means you simply had a different view. It's not a mark of Ute fan sagacity or virtue. Or am I reading you incorrectly?

--Yeats

I expect us to resign Coach Whitt. The players obviously love him and are fighting for him. I personally love the toughness the Utes are displaying this year, if only we had a passing game...

Reasonable and knowledgeable fans have had questions about whether Kyle has what it takes to succeed in the PAC-12. The same was true of the question whether it was time for Majerus to move on. (Think runnutz on both questions.) If you have thought differently that means you simply had a different view. It's not a mark of Ute fan sagacity or virtue. Or am I reading you incorrectly?
    I never questioned your ute fandom virtue. I did question your sagacity about Kyle and Rick in the past. But hHere I was just making the point that nowithstanding my dislike for Boylen and opinion that Mac is overrated, I'm not a knee jerk fire the coach fan.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I never questioned your ute fandom virtue. I did question your sagacity about Kyle and Rick in the past. But hHere I was just making the point that nowithstanding my dislike for Boylen and opinion that Mac is overrated, I'm not a knee jerk fire the coach fan.
    Stipulated.

--Yeats

Guess who's on the Bear Bryant Coach of the Year Watch List?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ch-watch-list/

--Yeats

I move to suspend this thread...or delete the m-fer all together!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Second!

I love you Kyle!

He is off the hot seat. He may even get an extension.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

Is that Funk driving JiC's train?

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

Though some of it was self inflicted (ok, a lot) he gets big credit for weathering the storm. House money the rest of the way!

Now it's just The Kyle Whittingham Thread. How's that?

--Yeats

Now it's just The Kyle Whittingham Thread. How's that?
    Yes. Good work.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Here's an impressive video from last night. This stuff is priceless. Whitt has mastered the motivational speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfhdEpPBQps

1. Impressive that this got put together this quickly. Invaluable, for recruiting, for cohesion, all the way around. It makes *me* want to run through a wall for Whitt. (OK, that's a blatant exaggeration. I would run through a shower curtain maybe, if I knew what was on the other side.)

2. I actually found this gem on Cougarboard, where a longtime Y fan was alerting that crowd that Utah is pulling away, that "true BYU blue" family kids where watching this video on an iPad, at church, and *they* were stoked. "We are losing the new generation" (paraphrase).

Banned
    Since it now appears that Utah has found a way to win conference games... Kyle deserves to be off the hook. We need to be able to keep at it.

This is a tough business. There is adversity every week.

The Washington State game to start our conference schedule wasn't that long ago and it looked bleak heading into a meat grinder with that home loss to one of our weakest PAC 12 competitors fresh on our minds. Then Kyle and this team did what we all wanted to see by going out there and getting it done the hard way...and he reminded us all how good he can be. We hadn't really witnessed that since moving into the PAC... but now we have, and he has demonstrated that he can do it at this level. So glad to see it, I've always liked Kyle as our coach and wanted him to find this kind of success. Great, give the man an extension... but now take this bad-ass team and go fight for a conference championship.

I was so despondent after Wazzou. Like everybody else, I want kW to succeed more than anything, and after that game i was sure he wasn't going to ever get past 5-7, because I didn't think he would ever get the offense untracked. what a difference a month makes.

Banned
    what a difference a month makes.
    Hell yes.

Expectations always changing. At the beginning of the season I was hoping for bowl eligibility... Now I'm almost embarrassed to say it... I want to beat ASU so bad and make a serious run at the conference championship. I really think they can fawkin' do it.