Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Banned
    We should not have lost at home to Washington State. We should have hit the game winner at Arizona State. We didn't... but the season was still a success. We won on the road in the PAC12. We beat UCLA, USC, and Stanford this year. Kyle deserved the extension at Utah. We need a successful O.C. and a quarterback. If that's Travis... great, if not... next man up.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I can't wait for another offseason of this. All last year, it was "Kyle has to get us back to a bowl game, or I think he should be fired." Does he do it? Yes, and then some. But even 9-4 is not enough to avoid a new ultimatum.
    This off season's cries will be "if Kyle can't keep Gary Anderson from stealing our recruits, he needs to go."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This off season's cries will be "if Kyle can't keep Gary Anderson from stealing our recruits, he needs to go."

Every year needs a motto. At least we don't have those stupid BYU mottos.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Every year needs a motto. At least we don't have those stupid BYU mottos.
    True. BYU has a phD in coming up with extra cheesy, quasi-religious slogans to put on t-shirts while Utah just comes up with angry threats and ultimatums. It really is a yin and yang thing.

Here's Gary Anderson explaining that he needs to be surrounded by more dumb players in order to enjoy being a football coach:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...o-oregon-state

Oregon State and its army of dullards should fit him perfectly.

Here's Gary Anderson explaining that he needs to be surrounded by more dumb players in order to enjoy being a football coach:

He'll never admit it publicly, but this was a big reason why Urban bypassed Notre Dame for Florida. Additionally, and I don't know if it's still the case, but Notre Dame has/d a no-redshirt policy in play for many years.

I go back and forth on this:

On the one hand, athletic programs have a lot of resources to help borderline students. There are late-bloomers and success stories out there, and some kids thrive when they get out of a lousy neighborhood & school system and onto the campus of a good school. Wisconsin is a public school; there is a certain obligation to allow access to the public.

On the other hand, Alvarez's point that a Wisconsin diploma is a meaningful degree, and not just "a piece of paper that means you stayed eligible for four years" is a commendable position. Overall, athletics are extra-curricular. It's the classroom stuff that should matter most, despite the popularity of the games.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I go back and forth on this:

On the one hand, athletic programs have a lot of resources to help borderline students. There are late-bloomers and success stories out there, and some kids thrive when they get out of a lousy neighborhood & school system and onto the campus of a good school. Wisconsin is a public school; there is a certain obligation to allow access to the public.

On the other hand, Alvarez's point that a Wisconsin diploma is a meaningful degree, and not just "a piece of paper that means you stayed eligible for four years" is a commendable position. Overall, athletics are extra-curricular. It's the classroom stuff that should matter most, despite the popularity of the games.
    Nice, but I think you are missing the point. The point is that a rival coach just admitted to leaving Wisconsin because he couldn't deal with the academic standards there. Even if true, it's not really something you want to say. Like SoCal pointed out, Urban may have felt the same way about Notre Dame, but he had enough tact not to make it explicit. Gary's problem, though, is that there is no good reason to leave Wisconsin for Oregon State, and he had to come up with something. He should be teased for such a dumb statement.

I'm with your position A. I'm all for public schools to admit a diverse group of students (private schools too, but that is not about to happen) in terms of background, race, interests, and abilities.

Nice, but I think you are missing the point. The point is that a rival coach just admitted to leaving Wisconsin because he couldn't deal with the academic standards there. Even if true, it's not really something you want to say. Like SoCal pointed out, Urban may have felt the same way about Notre Dame, but he had enough tact not to make it explicit. Gary's problem, though, is that there is no good reason to leave Wisconsin for Oregon State, and he had to come up with something. He should be teased for such a dumb statement.

I'm with your position A. I'm all for public schools to admit a diverse group of students (private schools too, but that is not about to happen) in terms of background, race, interests, and abilities.
    i think Gary probably had a good enough reason for himself & his family to leave. I think we've kicked this around before: IMO it sometimes makes sense to an individual to make lateral or even descending career-moves. Lifestyle, family, health, etc.

But you're absolutely right: bringing up the academic stuff makes GA look ridiculous. It's probably code for having an unsupportive administration. It's going to be even more awkward for him when Oregon State can't climb out of the Pac basement, even when he has all of the juco players he wants.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I agree. I think this will be a lot tougher than GA or Sitake realize.

Yeah, he turned USU around, but it was in the WAC, where Boise was the only "decent" team. Not as tough as it looks.

Also, Wisconsin was on top when GA took over.

OSU won 5 games last year with Mannion. He's gone now. I don't see a road win for OSU this year.

I only see two for sure wins for OSU next year: SJSU and Weber State.

I only see 3 wins total, but GA and KS are great coaches, so I have them at 4 or 5.

Good luck with that. Especially if their recruiting classes stay so poor.

I've said this for three years now, but if Kyle ever leaves, Gary would be the first person to contact Hill for the job. It wouldn't shock me if Gary is our HC in two years and KS takes over OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I agree. I think this will be a lot tougher than GA or Sitake realize.

Yeah, he turned USU around, but it was in the WAC, where Boise was the only "decent" team. Not as tough as it looks.

Also, Wisconsin was on top when GA took over.

OSU won 5 games last year with Mannion. He's gone now. I don't see a road win for OSU this year.

I only see two for sure wins for OSU next year: SJSU and Weber State.

I only see 3 wins total, but GA and KS are great coaches, so I have them at 4 or 5.

Good luck with that. Especially if their recruiting classes stay so poor.

I've said this for three years now, but if Kyle ever leaves, Gary would be the first person to contact Hill for the job. It wouldn't shock me if Gary is our HC in two years and KS takes over OSU.
    Of course he would. He'd be all over the U's admission standards:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-dodd/24982746

Now we know. Admissions was probably the reason the 50-year-old Andersen arguably caused the biggest stir of the coaching silly season.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    ZING!

I, like Gary, am a fan of low admission standards. It's part of what makes the U a diverse institution. US News should count it as a plus instead of a minus. You learn things at a big state school that you would never consider at a private college. When I arrived at Duke, it was a little shocking to experience the lack of diversity. But I have to admit, it was fun to teach students with a stronger background.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I can tell you that starting 18 months ago or so the U. has raised its standards. 3.5 GPA, 26 ACT. There are exceptions -- I imagine athletes get leeway, just as they do at BYU. There's also what they call "holistic" review of applications, which is a way to say "affirmative action" without using the words. With all the other options available (Salt Lake Community College, LDS Business College, UVU, Weber State, etc.) the U. doesn't need to take as broad a range of students anymore.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I can tell you that starting 18 months ago or so the U. has raised its standards. 3.5 GPA, 26 ACT. There are exceptions -- I imagine athletes get leeway, just as they do at BYU. There's also what they call "holistic" review of applications, which is a way to say "affirmative action" without using the words. With all the other options available (Salt Lake Community College, LDS Business College, UVU, Weber State, etc.) the U. doesn't need to take as broad a range of students anymore.
    We visited with my oldest 2 years ago, and this year with my second kid. I can tell you it is getting more difficult by the semester. She is interested in the Business Scholar Program and looks to be in a good position with a 27 and 3.5. However, my buddy's son applied to the Business Honors program with a 3.9 and 28 and was shot down. It's killing him but his son has opted to go to BYU as an alternative. By the time my son reaches college (6 years), I'm afraid it might be out of reach. He's a lot more interested in sports than grades -- check it -- he's obsessed with sports, especially Utah Utes sports. It'll ruin him if he isn't accepted.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

The contract details

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2117171-1...ach?fullpage=1

(Of note, no change in buyouts for either side)

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    We visited with my oldest 2 years ago, and this year with my second kid. I can tell you it is getting more difficult by the semester. She is interested in the Business Scholar Program and looks to be in a good position with a 27 and 3.5. However, my buddy's son applied to the Business Honors program with a 3.9 and 28 and was shot down. It's killing him but his son has opted to go to BYU as an alternative. By the time my son reaches college (6 years), I'm afraid it might be out of reach. He's a lot more interested in sports than grades -- check it -- he's obsessed with sports, especially Utah Utes sports. It'll ruin him if he isn't accepted.
    I understand from my brother in-law (an associate dean there) that the U. is admitting fewer students to the freshman and sophomore classes because dealing with kids at those levels is "not an area of strength" for the University. (I'm not 100% sure what that means., but I think it is that too many unprepared students were getting in, failing, and dropping out.) Students who've been denied admission, however, can go to an acceptable junior college (SLCC is one, so is LDS Business College) for 30 credit hours -- 2 semesters -- and then pretty easily transfer in once they've shown they can handle the level of work. Right now a 3.1 at a JC will get you in. The downside of that approach is that you miss out on the typical freshman year in college, but for a kid who really wants the U. that is a pathway. Interesting times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Report: Clancy Pendergast is front-runner for Utah DC job

If this is true (big "if") doesn't it strike you all as odd? Of all the positions to fill from outside, Kyle fill the DC spot?

--Yeats

If this is true (big "if") doesn't it strike you all as odd? Of all the positions to fill from outside, Kyle fill the DC spot?
    I don't think it's odd. You fill your position with the best person available. It's very possible that the best DC available is from the outside while the best OC available is not.

I don't think it's odd. You fill your position with the best person available. It's very possible that the best DC available is from the outside while the best OC available is not.
    Of course. But not Kyle, not the defense.

--Yeats

Sounds like a quality hire. What's his personality like? I think that actually makes a big difference for us because we're asking him to recruit local defensive studs who are often polynesian with families that want to trust the coach. For the most part, they trust Kyle. For the most part, they trusted Sitake. I hope whoever is next gains that trust as well.

Report: Clancy Pendergast is front-runner for Utah DC job

I think it's kind of weird. It's not really alarming or concerning, but it is kind of unexpected.

I think we're all pretty much in agreement that the defense is going to be Kyle's, so it really doesn't matter who the DC is from that standpoint.

He does need to be a really strong recruiter though. Preferably, as good a recruiter or even better than Gary Anderson. Hopefully this guy fits the bill in that regard.

We still need to replace Tuiaki so hopefully we get a really strong recruiter there too. Preferably, a poly who can recruit the polys as well as Sitake recruits them.

It's actually really impressive that our recruiting class is shaping up to be so solid even though we were missing some staff and going through all the drama. Very impressive.

Of course, the only reason the best person available for the OC position is an internal hire is because no one who is decent will touch the job. Hell, I don't think that Heupel would have taken Utah over Utah St right now. I doubt he wants to be out of a job again in only one year.

Honestly, at this point, I don't even care who is the offensive coordinator anymore. We know it is going to be a short term hire anyway and that it will be an underwhelming hire. What I really care about is who is going to end up being the QB coach. We need to stop having ARod coaching QBs and bring in a legit QB coach.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Of course, the only reason the best person available for the OC position is an internal hire is because no one who is decent will touch the job. Hell, I don't think that Heupel would have taken Utah over Utah St right now. I doubt he wants to be out of a job again in only one year.

Honestly, at this point, I don't even care who is the offensive coordinator anymore. We know it is going to be a short term hire anyway and that it will be an underwhelming hire. What I really care about is who is going to end up being the QB coach. We need to stop having ARod coaching QBs and bring in a legit QB coach.
    I think you underestimate the power of ego and money. Coaches have huge egos and they also tend to like money. If DC was making 400k at Utah, (conservative number) I suspect you'll find an OC that would take it.

Ted Miller has a good piece on this subject in the Pac 12 blog.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Both Sitake and DC made $500,000 each lasts year. If I remember right, both were in the top 25 of coordinator salaries.

No one can say Utah doesn't pay their coordinators.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post

I think that is a little unfair to judge ARod as QB coach after 1 year. I also believe that while TW has clear deficiencies in his passing ability, his decision making from an interception standpoint was markedly better than the previous year. I also believe that a huge part of the problem with the passing game is that for whatever reason Christensen refused to throw the ball over the middle.

Sacramento Bee reporting Pendergast is being hired by the 49ers

I will bet that Pendergast floated the Utah job to a socal reporter as part of his negotiations with the 49'ers. All about leverage.

My guess is that the coordinators haven't been announced but have been selected and operating for a while now. Scalley and Arod.

They'll announce it in signing day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    My guess is that the coordinators haven't been announced but have been selected and operating for a while now. Scalley and Arod.

They'll announce it in signing day.
    That's fine with me. They'll both do a good job.

That's fine with me. They'll both do a good job.
    Could imagine if St Brown, Gustin and Reid signed with Utah? I think that would make whoever is our Coordinators look incredible.