Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Second, yes, Utah made mistakes, but playing prevent was not one of them. I find break downs in coverage to be more likely explanations for the two or three big gains on Michigan's last drive than prevent defense.
    Third, according to Whit in his presser today, 6 guys missed snaps due to cramping issues.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Look, I understand the "I've seen this movie before" feeling.
    Utes fans with :55 to go last Thursday night:

watching-movies-650x400.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Utes fans with :55 to go last Thursday night:

watching-movies-650x400.jpg
    I usually have that feeling at the end of a close rivalry game when BYU is driving for a potential go ahead score.

Edit: I didn't have that feeling on Thursday night.
    Last edited by USS Utah; 09-07-2015 at 01:16 PM.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I usually have that feeling at the end of the close rivalry game when BYU is driving for a potential go ahead score.
    I had that same conversation with my dad while watching the 2011(?) 52-11 game. All the way until John White IV ripped off his first long TD run, I felt the offense would take off and Jake Heaps would catch fire.

The conditioning runs deep.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Or, cost us the game. We've all seen teams lose because they didn't take off enough time when they had the chance. We've also seen teams lose because of late interceptions. Whitt has a great W-L record in close games. He knows what he's doing.
    When BYU lined up against Nebraska with one second left on the clock, the first thing I though of was Nebraska's previous possession and how they kept hiking the ball with 7-10 seconds left on the play clock.

We covered the spread and were never really in position to lose against a traditional power in which we've scored 25, 26 and now 24 points in our last three outings. I said it before the game, I'll remind you of it now: If you thought Utah was going to go out there and roll up 30-plus points in this game, you were suffering from exuberant optimism. If you're still disappointed after the fact that they didn't, you're probably upset that water is wet. Our offense is what it is, and our opponent has a big say in how successful we are. Is this where I remind people that defense wasn't Michigan's problem last year? Why did we expect this year to be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We covered the spread and were never really in position to lose against a traditional power in which we've scored 25, 26 and now 24 points in our last three outings. I said it before the game, I'll remind you of it now: If you thought Utah was going to go out there and roll up 30-plus points in this game, you were suffering from exuberant optimism. If you're still disappointed after the fact that they didn't, you're probably upset that water is wet. Our offense is what it is, and our opponent has a big say in how successful we are. Is this where I remind people that defense wasn't Michigan's problem last year? Why did we expect this year to be any different?
    For my own part, I was expecting 17 points. Hoping for 24. Anything above that was gravy in my book.

Michigan still has talent. When Harbaugh gets a QB, they will be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    For my own part, I was expecting 17 points. Hoping for 24. Anything above that was gravy in my book.

Michigan still has talent. When Harbaugh gets a QB, they will be dangerous.
    Watching OSU last night, I thought, how long is it going to take Harbaugh to become competitive against Urban? He is going to need a lot more than a qb. It could be a long time.

Lost in all the excitement and chatter, Kyle just notched his 90th win as the head coach at Utah. He is now 90-43.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Watching OSU last night, I thought, how long is it going to take Harbaugh to become competitive against Urban? He is going to need a lot more than a qb. It could be a long time.
    It is interesting to go back and read this statement now. Jim 'The QB Whisperer' Harbaugh just might steal a win against Urban on Nov 28 at Michigan Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Sweet Louise, I don't believe anything I say has an outcome on future events, but this is getting me to at least think about it.

Anyway, Kyle in one-possession games since joining the Pac-12:

2011: 2-2*

2012: 2-2

2013: 4-3

2014: 0-1

Total: 8-8

Caveats: Five of those 8 wins came against BYU, Utah State and Colorado. A sixth came in our bowl win vs. Georgia Tech. Additionally, one of the losses was 2011 USC, which officially was a 9-point loss, but was a one-possession game the final time we touched the ball. Even if you eliminate that game from Kyle's record, he's 2-7 against non-last place teams in one-possession games in Pac-12 play. That's not cutting it.

FWIW, McBride's record in one-possession games his last three years was 5-12, and several of those losses were against teams perceived to be a huge step up in class (roadies at Arizona and Michigan 2002, No. 8 BYU in 2001 stand out). It was when he started losing big leads (AFA and UNM 2002) that support emptied out.

2013 ASU and 2014 WSU were both one-point losses, but I think we can all tell that's the only thing those games have in common as they pertain to support for Kyle and optimism going forward.
    Since the Wazzu loss last year (which prompted the above post), Kyle is 7-1 in games decided by one possession or less. We've had almost an immediate of a turnaround from that game as we did the UNLV debacle in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    It is interesting to go back and read this statement now. Jim 'The QB Whisperer' Harbaugh just might steal a win against Urban on Nov 28 at Michigan Stadium.
    No kidding. I have revised it already.

From ESPN's Louis Riddick on the Twitter:

#Utah HC Kyle Whittingham should have long been considered for a "big time" college job or pro HC position.

Remember telling Andy Reid back in 2010-2011 that K. Whittingham would be in my top 5 of college coaches to talk to about an #NFL job.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Gunther posted these current odds on the next USC head coach.

Yes. Odds on a head coach.

Never change Vegas.

usc_odds.jpg

KW tells Jay Mohr he loves it at Utah, etc., but like most normal people won't rule anything out.

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/onair/...king-14030604/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

KW tells Jay Mohr he loves it at Utah, etc., but like most normal people won't rule anything out.

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/onair/...king-14030604/
    which is why he goes on Jay Mohr in the first place--to make sure people know he wont rule anything out.

which is why he goes on Jay Mohr in the first place--to make sure people know he wont rule anything out.
    Well, my attitude about coaches who leave is, "Good luck, we love you, thanks for everything you did or tried to do here, but if you don't want to be here then we don't want you here." I hope he stays but if heads off to USC there's not a thing I can do about it and I won't blame him. I may think he's crazy to take that job but it's his life.

--Yeats

#GoKyleGo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    #GoKyleGo!!
    Vike, this is C- trolling at best. We expect better of you.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Did you think urban was crazy for taking the Florida job?
    Nope. But I think the two situations are apples and oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Kyle would absolutely be a brilliant hire for USC (especially if he can get a talented QB). But I can't see the boosters going for him as a first choice option.

If he goes to the playoffs this year then they might push hard to get him. But if he loses to ASSU this weekend then all of this talk will subside.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    #GoKyleGo!!
    #TenMoreYearsForBronco!! #SoBlessed

Jim Rome had some great things to say about Whitt on his show today. He said "nobody does more with the talent available than Kyle Whittingham." He suggested Whitt's ability to recruit SoCal is up in the air, but he also said "there's not a single thing that's 'Hollywood' about Kyle." I've heard him mention multiple times that Whitt would be a great option for the Trojans.

I don't see Whitt leaving for that job, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Kyle would absolutely be a brilliant hire for USC (especially if he can get a talented QB). But I can't see the boosters going for him as a first choice option.
    Think of all the arrogance and head-in-the-clouds optimism of BYU boosters, and add lots and lots of money, glamour, and some real storied tradition. Then you have Trojan boosters.

The ones I know are thinking Chip Kelly or someone like him.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-13-2015 at 10:19 PM.

--Yeats

One reason whit might not be a good fit with the Trojans: he has never ever had a good offense or an explosive offense in his 10 years as head coach. He had an OK offense in 2008 that had a great game against Alabama. USC is going to take a hard look at his revolving door of offensive coordinators, and his conservative mindset. They are going to want a coach who can light up an offense, especially a pro-style passing offense. The fan base won't settle for less in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by concerned; 10-13-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Think of all the arrogance and head-in-the-clouds optimism of BYU boosters, and add lots and lots of money, glamour, and some real storied tradition. Then you have Trojan boosters.

The ones I know are thinking Chip Kelly or someone like him.
    Bingo. Nailed it.

And Chip Kelly is a horrible call too. Good coach, etc, but he doesn't play 'USC Football'.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-13-2015 at 10:20 PM.

One reason whit might not be a good fit with the Trojans: he has never ever had a good offense or an explosive offense in his 10 years as head coach. He had an OK offense in 2008 that had a great game against Alabama.
    That 2008 team was 15th in scoring offense and 36th in total offense.

I'm not sure what you're looking for from a "good" offense, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    That 2008 team was 15th in scoring offense and 36th in total offense.

I'm not sure what you're looking for from a "good" offense, though.
    2008 ha issues most of the first half of the season. Also had good game aginst psu and a great game against byu.

Other than that Do you think KW has run a successful offense? All the coordinators has been a positive? The feeling that he keeps tight reigns on the o and wants the defense to win it. The sc fan base would go for that? Maybe but it will gat scrtinized. We have been at the very bottom every year in the PAC 12.

Good offense would average 275-350 passing yards and 35 ppg.

The Kyle Whittingham Thread

2008 ha issues most of the first half of the season. Also had good game aginst psu and a great game against byu.

Other than that Do you think KW has run a successful offense? All the coordinators has been a positive? The feeling that he keeps tight reigns on the o and wants the defense to win it. The sc fan base would go for that? Maybe but it will gat scrtinized. We have been at the very bottom every year in the PAC 12.

Good offense would average 275-350 passing yards and 35 ppg.
    As has often been said here, Kyle is who he is and is not going to change. I doubt that his style of football, which he has established over many years, will be attractive to USC's powers that be once they take a hard look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

I'm having difficulty coming up with a better candidate than Whit. He runs a clean, drama free program, and consistently coaches up his team like few others west of the Mississippi. The letters USC is enough to recruit 5 star studs, so a great recruiter isn't necessary. Whit would have them winning at a high level immediately.

Then again, I hope he gets overlooked for the so-called flashy hire.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.