Thread: 2014 Pac-12 Football

Hybrid View

2014 Pac-12 Football

Chris Peterson at UW has said that preseason all-American Shaq Thompson will play both ways this year - safety (where's he's been very good) and RB.

Myles Jack of UCLA did it last year.

We of course used Weddle in that way. Do we have anyone now who we could throw on the 2-way bandwagon? Harvey Langi?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Chris Peterson at UW has said that preseason all-American Shaq Thompson will play both ways this year - safety (where's he's been very good) and RB.

We of course used Weddle in that way. Do we have anyone now who we could throw on the 2-way bandwagon? Harvey Langi?
    You'd have to find a defensive player that you would trust on offense. All of the people you've mentioned were that way, and the three most famous (Deion, Woodson, The Refrigerator) fit that bill as well. I cannot think of a 2-way player in the modern era who was on offense full-time and added defense to his duties.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You'd have to find a defensive player that you would trust on offense. All of the people you've mentioned were that way, and the three most famous (Deion, Woodson, The Refrigerator) fit that bill as well. I cannot think of a 2-way player in the modern era who was on offense full-time and added defense to his duties.
    After posting my comment yesterday, I read that nate orchard would love to try it. That would be fun.

Kind of related thought - I'd love to see the two coaches have Noah T play both sports.

What sucks is Utah was in the mix for both of those guys. Utah was close with Miles Jack. Utah needs to grab one of these guys eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonute View Post
    What sucks is Utah was in the mix for both of those guys. Utah was close with Miles Jack. Utah needs to grab one of these guys eventually.
    If we win more games, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    If we win more games, they will come.
    And if they come, we will win more games.

And if they come, we will win more games.
    "And that is why we need to make a triumphant video"

"And that is why we need Eddie Van Halen"
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    "And that is why we need to make a triumphant video"

"And that is why we need Eddie Van Halen"
    Full circle back to Eddie Van Halen - the offseason must be reaching a close.

Now that Brett Hundley is on the Sports Illustrated cover we can expect him and UCLA to fizzle. So we have that going for us.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This is stolen from a Pangloss post at UF.net. Doesn't someone here have a bird that can learn "Utah Man?"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is stolen from a Pangloss post at UF.net. Doesn't someone here have a bird that can learn "Utah Man?"

You would have to teach him "Utah-Bird"
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

ASU is using doing a guy both ways at TE/LB. And we are apparently doing it with Hatfield. This is all about recruiting, and if it works for UW, UCLA, ASU, Utah, we will see a new national trend.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Until the PAC-12 can prove it the field, I have to believe that the SEC is tougher (at least from the top through the middle). The last time a PAC team beat a top-tier SEC team was when Utah beat Alabama.

Since that game a bunch of PAC teams have beat Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi State, and have lost a number of games to LSU, Auburn, etc.

Utah has perhaps the only PAC win over a top-tier SEC team in the last 15 years. Perhaps you could include USC beating Alabama in 2002 to that mix, but I don't recall how tough Banana* was that year. Wasn't that in the wake of the Mike Price fiasco?

*(Phone autocorrected BAMA, and I will leave it there)

Kyle kicks ass in this ranking. Tops among current in-state coaches, tops amongst PAC 12 coaches and only one opposing coach in his career ranks higher. About the only downside for Utah is that our alums-turned-HC rate below the two BYU has produced -- and we have one of them converted.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-...g-career-1-128

I was reminded this morning that we already have a "Pac-12 rivals" thread. Maybe this thread is redundant.

All talk? Neither played a down with the offense.

I am not going to lie, there are about half the teams in the PAC 12 that I am actively cheering against.

1. Colorado
    2. Cal
    3. Washington State
    4. Arizona
    5. Oregon State

I want each of those teams to lose as many games as possible right now. Those are the teams we are trying to surpass on a consistent basis. I want them to lose games and lose confidence as the season progresses. If Utah can establish consistent superiority over these teams we should be well on our way to being a solid PAC 12 team.
    "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching."
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    I am not going to lie, there are about half the teams in the PAC 12 that I am actively cheering against.

1. Colorado
    2. Cal
    3. Washington State
    4. Arizona
    5. Oregon State

I want each of those teams to lose as many games as possible right now. Those are the teams we are trying to surpass on a consistent basis. I want them to lose games and lose confidence as the season progresses. If Utah can establish consistent superiority over these teams we should be well on our way to being a solid PAC 12 team.
    Yes, a conference can only support so many contenders. We need some teams to vacate their contender status to make room for us, and we need the other teams to be in no position for improvement when vacancies arrive.

With OOC games, I generally want the Pac-12 to lose to FCS and G5 teams (there can be exceptions, like Cal vs BYU).

With elite OOC matchups like Oregon/MSU this weekend, I will pull for the Pac-12 (exceptions, like Stanford vs ND). The conference maintains its status as a feared P5 as long as teams win the big matchups.

Once we get to conference play, I want the 5 teams you mentioned (plus Stanford) to lose, lose, lose.

The Pac-12 power teams that could most easily lose their elite status are Stanford, UCLA, and ASU. I will root against these guys in general. We are in recruiting battles with them every year.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-03-2014 at 12:03 PM.

I agree with you guys. I want all PAC-12 teams to lose. Once Utah is kept out of a playoff game due to SOS...that's when I'll root for other PAC-12 teams.

http://www.bcftoys.com/2014-sos/

Utah listed with the hardest schedule. Of the Top 15 teams, 9 are PAC-12, 5 are SEC, and Notre Dame rounds it out.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    http://www.bcftoys.com/2014-sos/

Utah listed with the hardest schedule. Of the Top 15 teams, 9 are PAC-12, 5 are SEC, and Notre Dame rounds it out.
    It will make it all the more sweeter when we with the South!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

That settles it. I am the only real man left in my family. Just got off the phone with my father: life long Utah fan, season ticket holder and the manliest man I once knew. Corrupted by Two Utes (his second oldest son) he is going to get a pedicure. "I love them," he raved. Not only has PAC 12 membership made all y'all delusional, but truly effeminate.

If Mormon Red Death suggests we get pedicures when we meet up for the Michigan game on the 20th I'm scalping my ticket and heading home.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    That settles it. I am the only real man left in my family. Just got off the phone with my father: life long Utah fan, season ticket holder and the manliest man I once knew. Corrupted by Two Utes (his second oldest son) he is going to get a pedicure. "I love them," he raved. Not only has PAC 12 membership made all y'all delusional, but truly effeminate.

If Mormon Red Death suggests we get pedicures when we meet up for the Michigan game on the 20th I'm scalping my ticket and heading home.
    I know Rocker Ute draws the line at strategic waxing, so he's still pretty manly.