Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bengals: Official Utah vs. Idaho St.Thread

Breaking Bengals: Official Utah vs. Idaho St.Thread

We're 10 days out from the return of Utah football! (Let's pause for a minute and appreciate that).

With a starting QB expected to be named today and a new depth chart coming out, we are closing in on official game-prep for the Bengals.

I expect this game to be much like the Weber St. game last year. We'll get some good reps for a lot of guys and hopefully come out of it unscathed.

What would you like to see in game 1 of the 2014 Ute season?

GO UTES!

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The biggest thing I want to see (other than an overall dominant win, of course) is a major turnover advantage. I want no turnovers by our offense, although I would probably live with one late in the game by our 4th stringers. More importantly, I want to see our defense force several turnovers, including two INTs. I think we need to get a couple when it's easy to help build confidence and overcome the mental hurdle that seems to be there when it comes to intercepting the ball.

I would like to see one thing and one thing only: no injuries. I hate D-II games.

I took a look at ISU's roster and there is a surprising dearth of Utahns. Apparently few from the beehive state are willing to spend 4 years in Pocatello. There are two Utah connections of note:

1. Madison Mangum, former BYU preferred walk-on and brother of BYU's all-world-future-heisman QB ____ Mangum. Madison transferred to Idaho State after his mission. Here's a picture of him (on the right) eating jalapeno peppers at the house of Brother Medina an "energetic, plump, mustached Mexican Man." Why do they let missionaries blog again?

2. James Delancenserie is a redshirt freshman QB from Wasatch High. Here is a picture of him and the coach of ISU being interviewed on Wasatch High TV.

Last edited by Applejack; 08-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Just one week to go!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

OK, two days out. I think we are going to win!

Assistant coach profiles for ISU:

Steve Fifita: http://www.idahostatejournal.com/mem...9bb2963f4.html

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Assistant coach profiles for ISU:

Steve Fifita: http://www.idahostatejournal.com/mem...9bb2963f4.html

Fifita made his way back to Utah. He substitute taught and coached in high school before landing a job working with the Utes and head coach Kyle Wittingham coordinating football academics. He was also the team chaplain.
    I didn't know we had a team chaplain?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I didn't know we had a team chaplain?!
    I didn't know Steve Fifita was coaching at ISU. Now I'm torn on my rooting loyalties on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I didn't know Steve Fifita was coaching at ISU. Now I'm torn on my rooting loyalties on Thursday.
    Spencer Toone is coaching there too. :crazy:

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Spencer Toone is coaching there too. :crazy:
    Hey, it's where Kyle had his first coaching job, isn't it? There's good coaching career karma there.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Hey, it's where Kyle had his first coaching job, isn't it? There's good coaching career karma there.
    Yes, it is. Christensen also coached there, so definitely karma ties.

I believe it is also where Marvin Lewis got his start, or at least one of his early gigs.

Everything you need to know about Pocatello courtesy of Wikipedia:

Founded as an important stop on the first railroad in Idaho during the gold rush, the city later became an important center for agriculture. It is located along the Portneuf River where it emerges from the mountains onto the Snake River Plain, along the route of the Oregon Trail. The city is named after Chief Pocatello of the Shoshoni tribe, who granted the right-of-way for the railroad across the Fort Hall Indian Reservation. Ironically, Chief Pocatello did not use the name but preferred to be called Tondzaosha, a Shoshoni word meaning buffalo robe. The chief's daughter, Jeanette Lewis, believed the name Pocatello had no meaning
    That's right Bengals, your town's name has no meaning.

Everything you need to know about Pocatello courtesy of Wikipedia:

That's right Bengals, your town's name has no meaning.
    So a Shoshoni chief named either Tondzaosha or Pocatello had a daughter, and the name he gave her was . . . Jeanette Lewis?
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-27-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I agree with an earlier poster that coming out of this game without injury is the most important thing. However, there are some other things I would like to see:

- No turnovers on offense;
    - 3 turnovers by the defense;
    - a dominant run game;
    - a dominant run game defense;
    - pressure on the QB with the 4 defensive linemen;
    - no coverage breakdowns;
    - sure tackling;
    - redzone touchdowns;
    - kickoffs high and into the end zone;
    I do not want to hear the guy in Section 14 about row 30 bitch and moan about Wilson, Whit, Christensen or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I do not want to hear the guy in Section 14 about row 30 bitch and moan about Wilson, Whit, Christensen or anyone else.
    If he does, just punch him. It's time.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

It's Game Day! GO UTES!!!!

Score early, score often, no injuries. If we do that, Ill call it a success. Football is BACK!

Things I would like to see tonight:

1. 200-plus yards rushing.

2. 250-plus yards passing.

3. Four plays of 30-plus yards with our 1s

4. +3 in turnovers. Bonus: Zero INTs from Travis.

5. One defensive score.

6. ISU to have under 200 yards total offense.

All of that should get us over 50 points and keep ISU to no more than 10.

Do you think TW sees the second half tonight? It'd be nice to be up enough for him to get in a rhythm and then get out healthy with a full week plus to prepare for Fresno. I'd love to see both Thompson and Cox in the second half today.

If he does, just punch him. It's time.
    It is way overdue. I have never heard I guy who knows less about football have so many opinions and feel no need to keep them to himself. He sits by himself, so I can only guess that he cannot find anyone else willing to endure his endless, mind numbing banter.

Do you think TW sees the second half tonight? It'd be nice to be up enough for him to get in a rhythm and then get out healthy with a full week plus to prepare for Fresno. I'd love to see both Thompson and Cox in the second half today.
    I think it is important for Travis to play at least 1 series in the second half. Regardless of the score, there will be some adjustments that should be made at halftime and I think it is important for Travis to go out and perform those adjustments.

ISU suspended starting senior LB PJ Gremaud last night. He's replaced by a redshirt freshman.

While looking at their depth chart I noticed their starting right corner is listed as 5'6".....

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    ISU suspended starting senior LB PJ Gremaud last night. He's replaced by a redshirt freshman.

While looking at their depth chart I noticed their starting right corner is listed as 5'6".....
    On an unrelated note. It's absolutely perfect weather here in the capitol city. I'm guessing 84 and sun at kickoff.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think it is important for Travis to play at least 1 series in the second half. Regardless of the score, there will be some adjustments that should be made at halftime and I think it is important for Travis to go out and perform those adjustments.
    This is how blowouts are usually handled. Im hoping to see KT get the rest of the third quarter and Brandon Cox to get the fourth.

I think Travis starts the third to reaffirm he is the starter. I do think we see Thompson in the first half in a few packages designed just for Thompson.

I don't think we see Cox ( unless you sit in the NEZ) tonight. We need to have Thompson ready to go if/when Wilson goes down. Thompson should play more tonight than the rest of his collegiate career combined. Hopefully Thompson gets a lot of burn this week and next.

Two things I want to see tonight: multiple INTs by the Utah defense and an aggressive passing game early on. Both items are about establishing some confidence. The defense needs to get the INT monkey off their backs--I think their dropping of INTs is largely a mental problem. On offense, we need to let Wilson (and also Thompson to some extent) get comfortable and get into a rhythm throwing the ball so there is some confidence for next week. This will have to happen early as we know Kyle will take the foot of the gas in the second half. We could likely just run for 350 yards and not have to throw the ball at all but I think it is in our best interest to establish our passing game as soon as possible.

Two things I want to see tonight:

1. Coach Fifita scoring a touchdown

2. Coach Toone breaking his own record of hurling pineapples at passers-by in downtown Denver (per wikipedia).