Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fall Camp 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    You are confusing seasons.

2010, last year in MWC, Wynn played in 10 of 13 games. Cain played the other 3.

2011 first year in P-12: Wynn hurt in game 4, Hayes played the final 9 including the bowl win.
    Correct. 2010 was the year when everyone thought we were BCSing after we took 8 kickoffs for TDs against Iowa State, only to lose by 1,000 points to TCU. 2011 was the year when Chow made Hays look like a somewhat, adequate player.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Correct. 2010 was the year when everyone thought we were BCSing after we took 8 kickoffs for TDs against Iowa State, only to lose by 1,000 points to TCU. 2011 was the year when Chow made Hays look like a somewhat, adequate player.
    Was it only a thousand?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    You are confusing seasons.

2010, last year in MWC, Wynn played in 10 of 13 games. Cain played the other 3.

2011 first year in P-12: Wynn hurt in game 4, Hayes played the final 9 including the bowl win.
    I'm confused, I guess. Is it true that the same Utah QB hasn't started and finished the season since 2008? (Even if true, that may not be unusual among college football programs these days.)

Anyway, I'd sure like to see the same Utah QB start and finish the 2014 season. Chances are that would correlate to a good season.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

ESPN blog's take on Travis Wilson:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...-travis-wilson

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm confused, I guess. Is it true that the same Utah QB hasn't started and finished the season since 2008? (Even if true, that may not be unusual among college football programs these days.)

Anyway, I'd sure like to see the same Utah QB start and finish the 2014 season. Chances are that would correlate to a good season.
    How can you forget 2010? That is also the year that, the week after TCU, Wynn slid unmolested short of a first down at Notre Dame, and we all screamed a him.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    How can you forget 2010? That is also the year that, the week after TCU, Wynn slid unmolested short of a first down at Notre Dame, and we all screamed a him.
    I just screamed at him again when I read your reminder.

I will never forget that. I was there in person and could read Brian Johnson's lips as he screamed at Jordan, "Why did you slide?" I think it came out later that Jordan had injured his shoulder against Iowa State but hadn't told anyone. (Or maybe that is just a rumor.) Anyway, Cain had to start the Las Vegas Bowl game because of that. So although Wynn was the starter throughout the season he didn't finish the season.

Cain, BTW, had a 9-2 record as Utah's starting QB. Interesting factoid.

--Yeats

Cain, BTW, had a 9-2 record as Utah's starting QB. Interesting factoid.
    Based completely from passes that never even crossed the line of scrimmage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Phillips and Tom Hackett land on ESPN's Pac 12 blog preseason all-american team, no other Utes make the squad (the only one I would've really expected would be Dres).
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Andy Phillips and Tom Hackett land on ESPN's Pac 12 blog preseason all-american team, no other Utes make the squad (the only one I would've really expected would be Dres).
    Kickers for days.

Originally tweeted by rojack.

I'll be interested to watch Tim Patrick this year. He had some decent JC stats, but he's not highly recruited (to say the least). Hopefully we stumbled onto a Pac-12 quality starter.
    Patrick has a NFL ceiling. He had some issues to get fixed before he could play, a lot of teams backed off. Utah didn't, went through all the paperwork and other crap and now have themselves a WR that NFL scouts are watching. He is a STEAL for us. You jump through hoops for a lot of players that don't pan out. Patrick may make it all worth it.

I just saw that Cox was named Qb#3. That is fairly shocking to me as everything I had read suggested that Manning was the #3.
    This shows you where DC wants to take the offense. Cox and Thompson and Isom are the exact same QB. When Wilson leaves/graduates we will move more fully to his offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    This shows you where DC wants to take the offense. Cox and Thompson and Isom are the exact same QB. When Wilson leaves/graduates we will move more fully to his offense.
    Isom has a lot more in common with Wilson than with Cox and Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    And the 2015 recruit we missed on (I'm sure the staff is still recruiting him, and I' m still waiting for Darnold to change his mind when we beat USC) is very much a Wilson/Isom clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Come on, scratch. That'll never fly. Isom is black.

That was the moment when I realized that a string of injuries had taken the poinsettia bowl champ from us and it was time to rebuild at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    And the 2015 recruit we missed on (I'm sure the staff is still recruiting him, and I' m still waiting for Darnold to change his mind when we beat USC) is very much a Wilson/Isom clone.
    How many big time QB recruits is Sark hogging down there anyway? They do know that only one of them will get to play, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    That was the moment when I realized that a string of injuries had taken the poinsettia bowl champ from us and it was time to rebuild at QB.
    It seems like a lot of people (including the coaching staff) clung to the hope that Jordan would recover and be back to his Poinsettia Bowl self. In hindsight that looks like such a bad approach. As UTEopia has said, there was also some bad luck and some near misses in Utah's efforts to rebuild at that position.

--Yeats

It seems like a lot of people (including the coaching staff) clung to the hope that Jordan would recover and be back to his Poinsettia Bowl self. In hindsight that looks like such a bad approach. As UTEopia has said, there was also some bad luck and some near misses in Utah's efforts to rebuild at that position.
    The decommits of Eubanks and Brown, along with Shreve deciding he didn't like football, really hurt us. They haven't lit it up anywhere else, but it really hurt our depth.

In a related story, I heard Jay Hill on the radio yesterday saying that the Utes also lost out on a couple of OLine recruits in the week leading up to signing day that was a major cause of our being caught shorthanded there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The decommits of Eubanks and Brown, along with Shreve deciding he didn't like football, really hurt us. They haven't lit it up anywhere else, but it really hurt our depth.

In a related story, I heard Jay Hill on the radio yesterday saying that the Utes also lost out on a couple of OLine recruits in the week leading up to signing day that was a major cause of our being caught shorthanded there as well.
    Interesting. So what's a coaching staff to do? If you're Kyle how do you plan for such bad luck? Simply work harder? Recruit more players? Hire more staff to get more recruiting done? Just wondering. Maybe it is just luck and this happens to everyone.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hahah... sadly I think there are those that probably do still think this way. I'm certainly not one of them. I don't know why, but Isom gives me a different vibe. Maybe because he actually seemed to play QB in high school and wasn't just the biggest man on the field running around with the football, even though he was most likely one of the biggest men on the field. His senior year stats are insane.

Here's the two senior years of Isom and Manning (the one most people point to as a "true pocket passer"):

Isom
    8 Games
    Passing
    88/140 - 63%
    1615 yards
    22 TD's/1 INT (22 ratio)
    11.5 YPA
    .007 INT per attempt
    17 passing attempts per game

Rushing
    45 carries
    276 yards
    6.1 YPC
    5.6 attempts per game
    6 TD's

Manning
    11 Games
    Passing
    319/490 - 65%
    4062 yards
    41 TD's/10 INT (4.1 ratio)
    8.29 YPA
    .02 INT per attempt
    44.5 attempts per game

Rushing
    25 carries
    -26 yards
    -1.04 YPC
    2.3 attempts per game
    2 TD's

What jumps out at me is that he has a higher YPA and lower INT/A ratio than Manning. He is efficient with the football. Additionally, even though he was so much bigger and a better athlete than anyone else on the field, he wasn't a running QB. A fact that becomes obvious when you compare his rushing stats to Taysom Hill, who was obviously the best athlete on the field his senior year as well:

Hill
    12 Games
    Passing
    166/258 - 64%
    2269 yards
    18 TD (I couldn't find any reference to his interceptions)
    8.79 YPA

Rushing
    146 carries
    1491 yards
    10.21 YPC
    12.17 attempts per game
    24 TD's

I think we just have to wait and see if he can make the mental jump that it takes to be a QB in HS to being a QB in college.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 08-22-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Interesting. So what's a coaching staff to do? If you're Kyle how do you plan for such bad luck? Simply work harder? Recruit more players? Hire more staff to get more recruiting done? Just wondering. Maybe it is just luck and this happens to everyone.
    Hill commented that these decommits are much more prevalent now than they were 5 years ago, and that this is across the country, not just at Utah. The thing that changed for Utah was the jump to the PAC-12. Other teams are now taking a harder look at who Utah is recruiting than they were before and going after guys Utah is recruiting a bit harder. The coaching staff used to be able to rely on that commit and can no longer do so. They just need to keep working on a recruit, even if they feel like they have him locked up, all the way up to signing day. Especially if they get wind that other schools are sniffing around.

Can't hire more staff, who can recruit is limited by rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Can't hire more staff, who can recruit is limited by rule.
    I was just throwing out ideas. Maybe more support staff would make it easier to get more recruiting done. I doubt that the Texases and USCs of he world have the same number of support staff as Utah. (But if I am wrong about that I am sure you'll tell me. )

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    And Wilson is one quarter Japanese. Doesn't that account for something?

This kinda, sorta fits in here:

--Yeats

Hill commented that these decommits are much more prevalent now than they were 5 years ago, and that this is across the country, not just at Utah. The thing that changed for Utah was the jump to the PAC-12. Other teams are now taking a harder look at who Utah is recruiting than they were before and going after guys Utah is recruiting a bit harder. The coaching staff used to be able to rely on that commit and can no longer do so. They just need to keep working on a recruit, even if they feel like they have him locked up, all the way up to signing day. Especially if they get wind that other schools are sniffing around.
    I have a hard time swallowing this excuse for two reasons. First, we're losing guys late. That's just being out recruited, plain and simple. Additionally, if were such great scouters of talent, then why aren't our assistants being poached on a regular basis? Especially guys like A-Rod and Scalley?

Hahah... sadly I think there are those that probably do still think this way. I'm certainly not one of them. I don't know why, but Isom gives me a different vibe. Maybe because he actually seemed to play QB in high school and wasn't just the biggest man on the field running around with the football, even though he was most likely one of the biggest men on the field. His senior year stats are insane.

Here's the two senior years of Isom and Manning (the one most people point to as a "true pocket passer"):

Isom
    8 Games
    Passing
    88/140 - 63%
    1615 yards
    22 TD's/1 INT (22 ratio)
    11.5 YPA
    .007 INT per attempt
    17 passing attempts per game

Rushing
    45 carries
    276 yards
    6.1 YPC
    5.6 attempts per game
    6 TD's

Manning
    11 Games
    Passing
    319/490 - 65%
    4062 yards
    41 TD's/10 INT (4.1 ratio)
    8.29 YPA
    .02 INT per attempt
    44.5 attempts per game

Rushing
    25 carries
    -26 yards
    -1.04 YPC
    2.3 attempts per game
    2 TD's

What jumps out at me is that he has a higher YPA and lower INT/A ratio than Manning. He is efficient with the football. Additionally, even though he was so much bigger and a better athlete than anyone else on the field, he wasn't a running QB. A fact that becomes obvious when you compare his rushing stats to Taysom Hill, who was obviously the best athlete on the field his senior year as well:

Hill
    12 Games
    Passing
    166/258 - 64%
    2269 yards
    18 TD (I couldn't find any reference to his interceptions)
    8.79 YPA

Rushing
    146 carries
    1491 yards
    10.21 YPC
    12.17 attempts per game
    24 TD's

I think we just have to wait and see if he can make the mental jump that it takes to be a QB in HS to being a QB in college.
    I thinking making projections on what a player will do at the college level based on HS stats is a huge mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Especially guys like A-Rod and Scalley?
    Hasn't a-rod been poached twice already? Scalley is a Utah man.