Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NCAA football

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    One ESPN Projection has The U squaring of against....The U!

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls/projections

Attachment 1304
    Is Jake Heaps quarterbacking for them? It would be nice, for once, to have the best quarterback on the field. Well, I guess it happened at Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Is Jake Heaps quarterbacking for them? It would be nice, for once, to have the best quarterback on the field. Well, I guess it happened at Michigan.
    I believe he is the back-up. Not sure how much game time he has seen this year.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Jake Heaps has more attempts but fewer total yards than Brandon Cox this year.

Ranked 23 in the selection committee rankings, the only 6 win team in the rankings.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Ranked 23 in the selection committee rankings, the only 6 win team in the rankings.
    Cool. It also looks like Oregon is getting credit for a quality win over us. In an odd way that's a nice feeling.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Cool. It also looks like Oregon is getting credit for a quality win over us. In an odd way that's a nice feeling.
    When you consider that our last two losses are to #2 and #6, that makes us 2-1 in moral victories on the year.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

I thought for sure Oregon would be demoted for being the lucky beneficiary of the Kaelin 14 point swing. But Marioata was a man among boys in the 4th quarter, and Oregon got rewarded for that, I guess.

I have a nagging feeling that had we begun the 4th quarter with a 10 point lead rather than trailing by 3, that the play calling would have gone back to 'Run Booker up the middle three times then pray for Hackett to attempt to pin them deep', followed by Mariota scoring three TDs and a field goal.

A week off for the SEC. This should either be banned, or we should be doing it too. Only a couple games between ranked teams, and we already are aware of one of them.

KState @ West VA. TCU tore Snyder's defense apart. Will West Va do the same?
    UNC @ Duke. For the bell.
    Marshall @ UAB. Looking more and more like a NY6 game for the Herd.
    Minnesota @ Nebraska. Both coming off losses, trying to make the west division interesting.
    Wisconsin @ Iowa. Again, trying to make the west interesting.
    Ole Miss @ Arkansas. Razorbacks finally got an SEC win. Two in a row?
    Louisville @ Notre Dame. Notre Dame free fall?
    Maryland @ Michigan. Wolverines last chance at bowl game?
    BC @ FSU. Can Eagles log another big upset?
    Stanford @ Cal. The big game. Both teams are going for win #6.
    USC @ UCLA. By the time it starts, we will know whether or not we have to root for the Bruins.
    OSU @ UW. Beavers' last shot at a bowl game?

Rivalry week! So many great games:

TCU @ Texas. Can frogs bounce back after Kansas "win"?
    Arkansas @ Mizzou. Last in the SEC west vs first in the SEC east.
    ASU @ Zona. Please, football gods, may the winning coach move to Gainsville
    UVa @ VT. Winner goes bowling. Loser stays home.
    Illinois @ Northwestern. Winner goes bowling. Loser stays home.
    GT @ UGa. Part 1 of ACC/SEC challenge
    SC @ Clemson. Part 2.
    Minnesota @ Wisconsin. Winner gets OSU in title game.
    MSU @ Ole Miss. Rebs look to play spoiler.
    Florida @ FSU. Gators look to play spoiler.
    BYU @ Cal. Does Pac-12 get a 9th bowl team?
    Auburn @ Bama. Revenge for the Tide.
    USU @ BSU. Aggies to play spoiler? Wells moves up on coaching rumor lists with a win.

Marshall is tied with Western Kentucky 59-59 with :36 to go. WKU has the ball near midfield.

I'm not a Marshall fan (are there such things outside of West Virginia), but it would be sad to see their dream season die on the last day of the regular season.

Marshall is tied with Western Kentucky 59-59 with :36 to go. WKU has the ball near midfield.

I'm not a Marshall fan (are there such things outside of West Virginia), but it would be sad to see their dream season die on the last day of the regular season.
    They lose in OT. Now it looks like either Boise or CSU is going to a NY6 bowl.

They lose in OT. Now it looks like either Boise or CSU is going to a NY6 bowl.
    Or USU, right? Winner of the MWC gets in?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Or USU, right? Winner of the MWC gets in?
    Can USU still win the MWC? I'm not sure they'd get in over a 12-1 Marshall, but maybe.

Can USU still win the MWC? I'm not sure they'd get in over a 12-1 Marshall, but maybe.
    To be honest, I don't know. I can check though...USU can win if they beat BSU tonight and if CSU loses to AFA today (AFA is up by 7 in the 3rd).

I think MWC winner has to be the NY6 team. Matt Wells can punch his ticket to the P5 tonight.

To be honest, I don't know. I can check though...USU can win if they beat BSU tonight and if CSU loses to AFA today (AFA is up by 7 in the 3rd).

I think MWC winner has to be the NY6 team. Matt Wells can punch his ticket to the P5 tonight.
    I think if CSU loses and Boise loses, that the MWC will have a tough time making the NY6. Utah State ranks really, really low in computer polls. Memphis and Cincinnati are way ahead of them, for instance. If the choice is between a 9-3 USU team, an 12-1 Marshall, and whoever wins the American, the MWC is in trouble.

I think if CSU loses and Boise loses, that the MWC will have a tough time making the NY6. Utah State ranks really, really low in computer polls. Memphis and Cincinnati are way ahead of them, for instance. If the choice is between a 9-3 USU team, an 12-1 Marshall, and whoever wins the American, the MWC is in trouble.
    Oh. I didn't check the computer polls. In that case, I'm rooting for Memphis to get the spot. Here's what I want to see:

USU beats BSU tonight. CSU loses to AFA today. USU loses in the title game to whoever next week. Marshall loses title game next week. Memphis wins out. Side benefit? It would knock BYU's Miami Bowl opponent down a notch. With some luck, they might play Temple in the least interesting bowl game of all time.

UCLA's loss today means last year's Stanford upset will remain our single biggest victory as a Pac-12 team.

UCLA's loss today means last year's Stanford upset will remain our single biggest victory as a Pac-12 team.
    Which is as it should be. I was not impressed with UCLA. I still haven't been able to determine how they keep winning.

Stanford's 2013 squad was a legitimate title contender.

If utah st beats Boise and Sdsu they are going Fiesta bowl

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

So, the P5 title games are set:

Oregon vs Arizona. Can Wildcats make it three in a row?
    Wisconsin vs OSU. Will OSU have Barrett? Battle of two ex-Ute coaches.
    Alabama vs Missouri. Regardless of how they do against Auburn, Bama is in the playoff with a win here.
    GT vs FSU. So hard to watch GT with the triple option. Last chance to expose FSU before Oregon does it.

with Mississippi State losing and Ohio State losing its quarterback, it is entirely possible that both TCU and Baylor can make the playoffs. That is some irony considering they're the one conference it doesn't have a championship game.even If Ohio State beats Wisconsin, I could see the committee downgrading them because they're playing their 3rd string quarterback.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-29-2014 at 07:04 PM.

I'm pulling for TCU. Not only do I live 1/2 mile from its campus, but also I'm a fan of the way Patterson runs the program. A few of the Utah fans kept on comparing TCU's recent struggles to those of Utah. Well, I disagree, and that's not just because of TCU's success this year. It goes all the way back to the days when TCU kicked the $hit out of Utah in SLC.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    with Mississippi State losing and Ohio State losing its quarterback, it is entirely possible that both TCU and Baylor can make the playoffs.
    Possible, but it's still more likely that the committee has to chose one of them, which is a lose-lose proposition.

Possible, but it's still more likely that the committee has to chose one of them, which is a lose-lose proposition.
    yeah. I forgot that Florida state would also have to lose

Dont know if it means anything, but four ACC teams beat SEC teams yesterday. (GT over GA, FSU over FL, Lou over KY, and Clem over SC).

Maybe the SEC isnt almighty after all. Or maybe it means you shouldnt play out of conference rivalry games the last week of November. (Words to the wise.)

Or maybe it means you shouldn't play out of conference rivalry games the last week of November. (Words to the wise.)
    It does give one pause. Imagine how it would have been, after fighting and scratching our way through that PAC-12 schedule, now to be facing another season-finale Holy War rivalry game with all it brings. No, thanks.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

BTW, I read somewhere that Cal had three gay marriage proposals as part of the halftime show yesterday. Is that true? If so, that obviously cannot have been a coincidence. Somebody is making a statement to somebody else.

(maybe this should be in the marriage equality thread.)

BTW, I read somewhere that Cal had three gay marriage proposals as part of the halftime show yesterday. Is that true? If so, that obviously cannot have been a coincidence. Somebody is making a statement to somebody else.

(maybe this should be in the marriage equality thread.)
    I don't recall -- was it Cal, Stanford, or UCLA that was the only vote standing between a certain religious university and PAC-12 membership?

--Yeats

UAB announces that it is dropping football. Is this the future of the G5?