Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NCAA football

Georgia Tech's punter gets body slammed, WWE style. But more disturbing are Miami's uniforms:

https://vine.co/v/OKZ97TBnarx
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hard not to like the results of this week so far. BYU, Texas, Bama, A&M, Stanford, Oregon, Oklahoma, Wisconsin all lose.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Everyone needs to see this trick play:

Games of the bye-week:

Middle Tennessee @ Marshall. Probably the largest remaining hurdle to an undefeated season for the Herd
    UGa @ Mizzou. Big SEC East (yes, it's still there) matchup
    UMass @ Kent State. One of these teams will grab its first win of the year
    Oregon @ UCLA. Not sure who to pull for here
    Auburn @ MSU. #2 vs #3
    TCU @ Baylor. #9 vs #5
    UW @ Cal. First look at what a good defense can do to Cal
    Ole Miss @ A&M. Let down game for the Rebs?
    USC @ Arizona. Trojans take revenge on state of AZ?

Uh...is Mississippi State the best team in the nation? Up 21-0 on Auburn! I guess Brian Johnson was not the source of all of our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Uh...is Mississippi State the best team in the nation? Up 21-0 on Auburn! I guess Brian Johnson was not the source of all of our problems.
    He's probably a good QB coach.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

and underneath an OC and an offensive hc. He was on his own here.

And, I am convinced, that hiring decision lead directly to Kyle's seat getting warm.

--Yeats

Mannnn.....TCU sure looks good.

Hmmm...gave up three quick touchdowns.

Man, not a lot of defense played today.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Games of the week:

KState @ Oklahoma.
    A&M @ Bama. Tide revenge?
    Okie St @ TCU.
    UGa @ Arkansas. Can the worst team in the SEC west beat the best team in the SEC east?
    UW @ Oregon.
    ND @ FSU. Two of the last 6 unbeatens.
    Stanford @ ASU. Revenge game for the devils?

Not a ton of intrigue this week:

Oregon @ Cal Friday night Pac-12 game? Okay.
    Maryland @ Wisconsin. Could the Terps really win their division in year 1?
    Ole Miss @ LSU. Lots of defense.
    OSU @ Stanford. Hopefully Cardinals enter free-fall here

Could we get gameday given the lack of good matchups elsewhere? USC and utah are both very intriguing this year.

Nevermind. Lsu v ole miss.

Great week ahead of us:

FSU @ Louisville. Thursday night. Last good chance to hand the 'noles a loss?
    Auburn @ Ole Miss. Playoff elimination game.
    Arkansas @ MSU. First place vs last in SEC West, and it still looks like a good game.
    BYU @ MTSU. How far has BYU really fallen? Playing for their coach's job, do they even care?
    TCU @ West Va. Do you like TDs?
    Stanford @ Oregon. We need the Ducks to arrive fat and happy in SLC. Go O.
    Arizona @ UCLA. Football game between basketball schools.
    Cal @ OSU. Bowl elimination game?

TCU @ West Va. Do you like TDs?
    TCU says its stadium ran out of fireworks for the season after 82-27 win over Texas Tech

TCU isn’t really a high-scoring team. As a matter of fact, the Horned Frogs, like their namesake, have been pretty defensive under head coach Gary Patterson. They usually let the game come to them.

So when the Horned Frogs unexpectedly cut loose and made Texas Tech eat an 82-27 loss on Saturday, the stadium staff ran out of all of the celebratory fireworks that they had for the entire season, according to Assistant Athletics Director for Marketing and Licensing Drew Martin.
    Something tells me that WVU has plenty available. They have to ignite all of those couches somehow.

On the ESPN crawler, when displaying the TCU/TTech score:

TCU's basketball team scored 82 points only once all of last season.

Jared Lorenzen on his "Fattest man throwing a TD" record being broken...

https://twitter.com/jaredlorenzen22/...68996828041217

Congrats to the Arkansas OL that threw the TD. That's one record I'm happy to give up. #fatmanthrowingtd #BBN

What's better than breaking 7 tackles?

Doing it to Mario Bros music.

Games of the week (three playoff elimination games this week):

Memphis @ Temple. Nobody thought these two would be 5-3 going into this game. There are 5 teams on top of the AAC at 3-1.
    Presbyterian @ Ole Miss. The SEC SOS' start to go down in November with games like these.
    Iowa @ Minnesota. These are two of the 4 teams on top of the Big10 west at 3-1.
    Baylot @ Oklahoma. Sooners can play spoiler.
    Notre Dame @ ASU. Elimination game #1. Go Irish!
    Kansas State @ TCU. Elmination game #2. If TCU wins, they have an easy path to the playoff (@Kansas, @Texas, Iowa St).
    Bama @ LSU. Gaeux Tigers.
    OSU @ MSU. Elimination game #3.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Games of the week (three playoff elimination games this week):

Memphis @ Temple. Nobody thought these two would be 5-3 going into this game. There are 5 teams on top of the AAC at 3-1.
    Presbyterian @ Ole Miss. The SEC SOS' start to go down in November with games like these.
    Iowa @ Minnesota. These are two of the 4 teams on top of the Big10 west at 3-1.
    Baylot @ Oklahoma. Sooners can play spoiler.
    Notre Dame @ ASU. Elimination game #1. Go Irish!
    Kansas State @ TCU. Elmination game #2. If TCU wins, they have an easy path to the playoff (@Kansas, @Texas, Iowa St).
    Bama @ LSU. Gaeux Tigers.
    OSU @ MSU. Elimination game #3.
    I don't think the SEC's SOS will matter. The computers have been thrown out (at least as far as the official formula for determining consideration) and the committee will justify ESS EEE SEE in any way they need to, regardless of SOS formulas.

Why go Irish? I think an ASU win helps Utah in almost every way I can imagine (other than the Todd Graham is a douche factor). ASU losing OOC doesn't help Utah's divisional chances and an ASU win helps the PAC's profile and increases the chances for the PAC to get a second team into the NY6 which would improve Utah's bowl prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I don't think the SEC's SOS will matter. The computers have been thrown out (at least as far as the official formula for determining consideration) and the committee will justify ESS EEE SEE in any way they need to, regardless of SOS formulas.
    True, mostly just an observation that the SEC SOS is inflated a little at this point. I don't think the committee has to stretch at all to justify putting 2 SEC teams in. It seems clear to me that the SEC West houses 4-5 really good teams.

Why go Irish? I think an ASU win helps Utah in almost every way I can imagine (other than the Todd Graham is a douche factor). ASU losing OOC doesn't help Utah's divisional chances and an ASU win helps the PAC's profile and increases the chances for the PAC to get a second team into the NY6 which would improve Utah's bowl prospects.
    Mostly because I dislike ASU and don't want them to perform well. I don't want them in the playoff discussion anymore. I don't want all those great recruits that Graham has lined up to think that ASU is on the verge of becoming a national power. As for Utah's bowl prospects, I'm still just happy we are going.

I can't buy into the sentiment that a lot of people seem to have.

"I set my expectations so low that I'm ecstatic the Utes are mediocre. I mentally prepared for us to totally suck, so I'm happy with a 6-6 finish."

Regardless of what anyone's expectations may have been before the season started, the fact of the matter is the Utes are only a couple of plays away from being undefeated. A few days ago the Utes were very much alive in the race for the 4 playoff spots. I don't see how just making a bowl game can be acceptable at this point.

Personally, I hope ASU beats Notre Dame by 50 points, and then loses all the rest of their conference games. And I hope all the SEC teams beat up on each other and somehow they all end up with 2 losses.

Can we find another like this? Pretty please...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...le3529947.html

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post

"I set my expectations so low that I'm ecstatic the Utes are mediocre. I mentally prepared for us to totally suck, so I'm happy with a 6-6 finish."

Regardless of what anyone's expectations may have been before the season started, the fact of the matter is the Utes are only a couple of plays away from being undefeated. A few days ago the Utes were very much alive in the race for the 4 playoff spots. I don't see how just making a bowl game can be acceptable at this point.

Personally, I hope ASU beats Notre Dame by 50 points, and then loses all the rest of their conference games. And I hope all the SEC teams beat up on each other and somehow they all end up with 2 losses.
    This is a bizarre post. Why are the Utes mediocre? Because we've lost two games? Because we are 2-1 against ranked opponents? If you are distraught because we won't be taking a playoff spot this year, I don't know what to tell you.

Sure, the Utes are a couple of plays from being undefeated. They are also a couple of plays away from being 0-5 in the Pac-12. We are very competitive in a very competitive conference - tough wins and losses are the name of the game.

Personally, if the Utes finish 8-4 I will be over the moon. That is a hugely over-achievement given our talent and schedule.

This is a bizarre post. Why are the Utes mediocre? Because we've lost two games? Because we are 2-1 against ranked opponents? If you are distraught because we won't be taking a playoff spot this year, I don't know what to tell you.

Sure, the Utes are a couple of plays from being undefeated. They are also a couple of plays away from being 0-5 in the Pac-12. We are very competitive in a very competitive conference - tough wins and losses are the name of the game.

Personally, if the Utes finish 8-4 I will be over the moon. That is a hugely over-achievement given our talent and schedule.
    There is a segment of Ute fans who truly believe we're playing with house money because the team has already met their rather mediocre standard -- getting to six wins and a bowl game. That's the point utefan is trying to make. Wonder if they'd remain as upbeat if we lost 6 straight to end the season and finished 6-7.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    There is a segment of Ute fans who truly believe we're playing with house money because the team has already met their rather mediocre standard -- getting to six wins and a bowl game. That's the point utefan is trying to make. Wonder if they'd remain as upbeat if we lost 6 straight to end the season and finished 6-7.
    Granted, that would be a crappy ending to the season. But the fact that we are 6-2 right now is outstanding, sorry, it just is. We have beaten Michigan, UCLA, and Oregon State on the road and we beat USC. We just lost a heartbreaker to a top 15 team (also on the road) and we crapped the second half bed against Wazzu.

I just don't get the manic up and downs associated with losing/winning coin toss games. If we had won on Saturday everyone would be stoked, and rightfully so. But the difference between losing and winning that game is essentially random chance. We're a really good team so enjoy the ride. It's going to be bumpy the next few weeks.

Granted, that would be a crappy ending to the season. But the fact that we are 6-2 right now is outstanding, sorry, it just is. We have beaten Michigan, UCLA, and Oregon State on the road and we beat USC. We just lost a heartbreaker to a top 15 team (also on the road) and we crapped the second half bed against Wazzu.

I just don't get the manic up and downs associated with losing/winning coin toss games. If we had won on Saturday everyone would be stoked, and rightfully so. But the difference between losing and winning that game is essentially random chance. We're a really good team so enjoy the ride. It's going to be bumpy the next few weeks.
    Amen, and amen. Preach on, brother AJ.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Exactly. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post

I don't think anyone here sees it that way. Do you?

--Yeats