Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014-2015 schedule finalized w/tv, times, etc.

2014-2015 schedule finalized w/tv, times, etc.

http://pac-12.com/utah-mens-basketball/schedule

First thought: wow! we are going to be on ESPN a lot! I dont ever remember us being on ESPN this much in a season.

The table is set here. We are getting a ton of national exposure. If we can be as good as I think we are going to be, we could really get a decent seed in the big dance.

Also, how big is that game with BYU going to be? With no football game this year, and with both teams expected to be good, it is going to be CRAZY down at the Marriott Center.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 09-15-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    http://pac-12.com/utah-mens-basketball/schedule

First thought: wow! we are going to be on ESPN a lot! I dont ever remember us being on ESPN this much in a season.

The table is set here. We are getting a ton of national exposure. If we can be as good as I think we are going to be, we could really get a decent seed in the big dance.

Also, how big is that game with BYU going to be? With no football game this year, and with both teams expected to be good, it is going to be CRAZY down at the Marriott Center.

We have only one game with Oregon, Oregon St, CAL and Stanford (Oregon schools on the road with the Nocal schools at home).
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    We have only one game with Oregon, Oregon St, CAL and Stanford (Oregon schools on the road with the Nocal schools at home).
    That's probably a nice break. The Oregon schools both have had a bunch of attrition and turmoil and look to be down this year so those are road games the Utes should be able to win. The NoCal teams coming in to the Hunty are also games that, some six months out, look like wins on the schedule.

The first three of that conference home stand with USC, UCLA, and CU will be big. In fact, 5 of those first 7 at home...gotta get those.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The press release:

Utah Men's Basketball Announces 2014-15 Schedule

Utes will play on an ESPN channel a record 13 times this season

SALT LAKE CITY - The Pac-12 Conference released the complete 2014-15 men's basketball schedule today and Utah men’s basketball will have every game televised, including a record 13 games on the ESPN family of networks.

All 30 regular-season men’s basketball contests will be televised this season with 14 games on the Pac-12 Networks, 13 on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU and 3 on Fox Sports 1. This marks a new visibility standard for the Utes who were on an ESPN channel a total of five times during the first three years in the Pac-12. It also eclipses the program mark set by the 1999-2000 and 2003-04 teams who were on an ESPN channel 12 times during their respective seasons.

The Utes will debut in their exhibition contest vs. Pacific (Oregon) at 8:30 p.m. MT on Thurs., November 6. That game will be televised on the Pac-12 Network along with seven of Utah’s eight non-conference home games. Utah went 11-1 in non-conference home games last season and finished the year 18-2 at home. That total marked the most wins ever by the Utes at the Huntsman Center in a single year (1999-2000 , 17-0).

Utah’s game against Wichita State on Wed., Dec. 3 will be televised on ESPN2 and all four road and neutral non-conference contests (San Diego State, BYU, Kansas and UNLV) will also be on the ESPN family of networks.

The Runnin' Utes are scheduled to open league play in 2015 with USC visiting the Huntsman Center on Fri., Jan. 2 and the game televised by ESPNU at 8 p.m. MT. The Pac-12 will play all its games on Friday through Sunday the opening weekend to avoid conflict with the Jan. 1holiday. UCLA is next on Jan. 4, one of three home league games that Utah will play on Sunday.

The squad will host Colorado on Jan. 7 which means the Utes begin the season with their longest Pac-12 home stand of the season. Utah hits the road for the first time with games at Arizona State and Arizona. The game against the Sun Devils will be one of three games on Fox Sports 1 for the Utes.
    The Utes return home for games against Washington State and Washington. Utah swept their home games against the Huskies and Cougars last season. Utah then makes its trip to L. A. for and will play USC at 11:30 a.m. PT on Feb. 1, Super Bowl Sunday.

You can call it the Rematch in the Rockies as Utah makes the trip to Boulder to finish its home-and-home set with Colorado on Sat., Feb. 7. Stanford and Cal come to town for their only meetings against the Utes during the regular season over Valentine’s Day.

The next week, Utah is off to Oregon with no return dates against the Ducks and Beavers in SLC during the 2014-15 season.

The final home games of the season are against Arizona State and reigning Pac-12 regular-season Arizona (Senior Day). The game against the Wildcats is an ESPN Wild Card Game Day, which means the time of the contest will not be known until at least two weeks prior to the matchup. The pairing is also guaranteed to be on either ESPN or ESPN2.

The last road trip of the season sees the team in Seattle and Pullman for games against UW and WSU. With the Pac-12 Tournament startingWednesday, the league does not schedule Sunday games the final weekend.

The Pac-12 Tournament is set for March 12-15 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Only counting D-1 games ...

10-3 in non-con (losses at SDSU, Kansas, UNLV)

14-4 in Pac-12 play. Finish tied for second, behind Arizona (we split with Arizona but lose the No. 1 seed in Vegas because we go 5-4 on the road to Arizona's 6-3).

Win it all in Vegas, finish regular season 27-7 and earn a 2 seed in the dance thanks to winning conference tourney in second toughest league in country, our top 50 non-con SOS and top 15 RPI.

(LA reaches for beta blocker after reading SCP's post....)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

14-4 in Pac-12 play. Finish tied for second, behind Arizona (we split with Arizona but lose the No. 1 seed in Vegas because we go 5-4 on the road to Arizona's 6-3

Win it all in Vegas, finish regular season 27-7 and earn a 2 seed in the dance thanks to winning conference tourney in second toughest league in country, our top 50 non-con SOS and top 15 RPI.
    who ties us for second?

Here's my prediction:

We go 10-2 in non-conference (losses to Kansas and SDSU), 13-5 in league, finishing second. We win two in Vegas before losing to Arizona in the finals. Leaves us at 25-8 heading into selection Sunday, where we get a 4 seed.

Here's how I think the league ends up:

Arizona
    Utah
    Colorado
    UCLA
    Stanford
    Oregon
    Cal
    Washington
    ASU
    USC
    Wazzu
    Oregon St

I think there are four groups/tiers....

1) Arizona: Might be the best team in the country this year. I don't see them losing more than 2 conference games.
    2) Utah, CU, UCLA and Stanford. All tournament teams. The more I think about it the more I think UCLA disappoints this year. Their incoming Aussie and the CSU transfer were ruled ineligible. They still have talent but they're young and have no depth.
    3)Oregon, Cal, Washington.
    4) ASU, USC, Wazzu, Oregon St.

The league won't have near the depth it had last year, and the bottom (bottom 4) of the conference will be much worse than it has been the past two years. For this reason I want to pick us to 14-4 or better in conference, but for now I'll stick with 13-5.

I think we can go undefeated at home, but I certainly hope we don't lose any more than one conference home game. On the road we SHOULD win @ USC, @Wazzu, @OSU, @ASU. @UW and @Oregon are winnable. @ UA, @UCLA and @ CU will be tough.

I haven't been this excited for Utah basketball in quite some time. Can't wait.

Wow, how far we have come. It is an amazing feeling being able to be optimistic on the season. Coach K has done an amazing job at turning around the program.

Go Utes!
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

I will echo SCP's prognostication. I could see us beat either UNLV or SDSU but lose to Wichita State. But he had about the same record as I see.

Most important players: Wright, Bachynski

Pivotal players: Taylor, Kuzma, Chapman

If we finish as Pac-12 tourney Champs with a pre ncaa tournament record of 27-7, Wright will finish top 3 in POY voting.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

How is Wichita State this year? Why are Jarid and I who see a strong potential for a loss there? Conversely a win could be one of the biggest wins in program history.

I love the team this year and am thrilled with the strength of the program. If we get an NCAA tourney berth I will need to find a way to stay home and watch. Maybe I will finally get that shoulder surgery...

I should be able to attend the USC game. Looks like i can hit the UTPA game too. I will be in town that week too.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 09-16-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    How is Wichita State this year? Why are Jarid and I who see a strong potential for a loss there? Conversely a win could be one of the biggest wins in program history.

I love the team this year and am thrilled with the strength of the program. If we get an NCAA tourney berth I will need to find a way to stay home and watch. Maybe I will finally get that shoulder surgery...

I should be able to attend the USC game. Are there any games scheduled during the week of Thanksgiving? I will be in town that week too.
    Yes. The Utes home "tourney" is the 26, 28 and 29 of November. Games agains Texas Pan American, North Dakota and Alabama State

Thanks Diehard. I can hit the UND game as well. Good news!

I need to track down some tickets to the UW game too. I want to ne there when they whip the Huskies in the Hec.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Thanks Diehard. I can hit the UND game as well. Good news!

I need to track down some tickets to the UW game too. I want to ne there when they whip the Huskies in the Hec.
    I'll be attending some Thanksgiving games too. Maybe the Jan. 2 game as well, but we'll see.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

14-4 in Pac-12 play. Finish tied for second, behind Arizona (we split with Arizona but lose the No. 1 seed in Vegas because we go 5-4 on the road to Arizona's 6-3).

Your old pal Comrade Crimson once accused me of being the king of the Larry Lapdogs. Even I, an admitted eternal Ute hoops optimist, am not touching this prediction with a ten foot pole.

I honestly can't tell if this is a legitimate prediction, a tongue in cheek jab at the fan base, or a Comrade Crimson-esque prediction that is purposely over the top so that when the team inevitably falls short, the over the top criticism can be "justified".

I have enough respect for you that I assume it is not the latter option, but for the life of me I can't tell if this falls into one or two.

I have us going 8-4 in the preseason, 12-6 in the conference. I think we will get a first round bye in the tournament, then win two to get to the finals. that puts us at 22-11. I think that gets us a 6 seed in the tournament.

Interesting note: Our game at SDSU is on a tuesday at 1 in the afternoon. Maybe the crowd wont be as crazy as it otherwise would be?
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 09-17-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Your old pal Comrade Crimson once accused me of being the king of the Larry Lapdogs. Even I, an admitted eternal Ute hoops optimist, am not touching this prediction with a ten foot pole.

I honestly can't tell if this is a legitimate prediction, a tongue in cheek jab at the fan base, or a Comrade Crimson-esque prediction that is purposely over the top so that when the team inevitably falls short, the over the top criticism can be "justified".

I have enough respect for you that I assume it is not the latter option, but for the life of me I can't tell if this falls into one or two.
    You are off base here. SCP is genuinely bullish on this team and has been since last season. And he is right. This team is going to be special.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Wow! This thread should be re-titled "Setting yourself up for heartbreak."

Interesting note: Our game at SDSU is on a tuesday at 1 in the afternoon. Maybe the crowd wont be as crazy as it otherwise would be?

Great point, I hadn't thought of that before. Usually a very tough place to play, but with the 1pm start time it definitely won't be the atmosphere it normally is. Still will be a very tough game.

I would imagine we start the year not ranked, but among "others receiving votes". If we win that game we'll jump into the top 25. That would in turn set up a 6-0 and most likely top 20 Utah team hosting a potential top 10 Wichita State team on December 3rd. How sweet would that be?

Yeah, the start time for that SDSU game vexes me. It is my son's sixth birthday and my son is going to be off track. So I will likely be staying home from work that day, yet likely won't be watching the game.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Yeah, the start time for that SDSU game vexes me. It is my son's sixth birthday and my son is going to be off track. So I will likely be staying home from work that day, yet likely won't be watching the game.
    If I remember right sdsu used some stroke and got the time moved back...it was originally a 11AM pacific tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I will echo SCP's prognostication. I could see us beat either UNLV or SDSU but lose to Wichita State. But he had about the same record as I see.

Most important players: Wright, Bachynski

Pivotal players: Taylor, Kuzma, Chapman

If we finish as Pac-12 tourney Champs with a pre ncaa tournament record of 27-7, Wright will finish top 3 in POY voting.
    I'm curious what you think we need out of each of them for this team to be special.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I'm curious what you think we need out of each of them for this team to be special.
    Bach needs to stay on the floor. Stay out of foul trouble and play 30ish minutes each night. We need an enforcer type guy in the lane and i don't think we have anyone else that can do it as well as he can.

Wright needs to improve end of game decision making, and he needs to play like he knows he is the best player on the floor every game. He doesn't necessarily need to have the best performance each night, but he needs to carry that expectation and carry it well.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 09-18-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    André Gide

Bach needs to stay on the floor. Stay out of foul trouble and play 30ish minutes each night. We need an enforcer type guy in the lane and i don't think we have anyone else that can do it add well as he can.

Wright needs to improve end of game decision making, and he needs to play like he knows he is the best player on the floor every game. He doesn't necessarily need to have the best performance each night, but he needs to carry that expectation and carry it well.
    I agree. And Loveridge, when he is on the floor, needs to be engaged in the game and contributing every second.

--Yeats

Bach needs to stay on the floor. Stay out of foul trouble and play 30ish minutes each night. We need an enforcer type guy in the lane and i don't think we have anyone else that can do it add well as he can.
    I think Bach was very underrated by Ute fans last year, especially during conference play. I thought he played quite well within the role he was given with the one (big) exception being that he struggled with foul trouble many nights. Glad to see that you appear to hold the same hope for him that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I agree. And Loveridge, when he is on the floor, needs to be engaged in the game and contributing every second.
    I think that Loveridge will surprise people this year. I think that with more offensive firepower around him, I think he will get better looks and the number of forced shots will go down. Also, he is not going to be playing as much this year, and I think that will help him to not tire out as much. I think he will be our starting 3 and will get 25-27 minutes per night. Im looking for 12-13 points per game from him.

I think what will be big for us this year is due to our depth we'll be able to play Delon and Loveridge a lot less. It was clear that both were wearing down by season's end last year. Delon averaged 36.4 and Jordan averaged 34.4. That's a lot of minutes. Look for Delon to be closer to 32, and like UtahsMrSports said around 25-27 or so for Loveridge.

From what I'm hearing Isaiah Wright is legit and ready to contribute this year. Look for him to come off the bench and play around 10 mpg, allowing us to give both Delon and Brandon some rest.

I’m really interested to see what our wing rotation will be like…. Between Tucker, Ogbe, Loveridge (how much 3 will he play?), and maybe Kuzma (I’m actually hearing coaches like him more at the 4).

And then how about our bigs? Will Poeltl really be ready to contribute this year? If so, how many minutes? Are we going to see a “platoon” big rotation like we saw last year from Bach/Lenz/Olsen/Marko? I agree that Bach needs to avoid silly fouls and if he does he could/should be a 25-30 mpg guy for us. I expect him to have a big year.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    I think what will be big for us this year is due to our depth we'll be able to play Delon and Loveridge a lot less. It was clear that both were wearing down by season's end last year. Delon averaged 36.4 and Jordan averaged 34.4. That's a lot of minutes. Look for Delon to be closer to 32, and like UtahsMrSports said around 25-27 or so for Loveridge.

From what I'm hearing Isaiah Wright is legit and ready to contribute this year. Look for him to come off the bench and play around 10 mpg, allowing us to give both Delon and Brandon some rest.

I’m really interested to see what our wing rotation will be like…. Between Tucker, Ogbe, Loveridge (how much 3 will he play?), and maybe Kuzma (I’m actually hearing coaches like him more at the 4).

And then how about our bigs? Will Poeltl really be ready to contribute this year? If so, how many minutes? Are we going to see a “platoon” big rotation like we saw last year from Bach/Lenz/Olsen/Marko? I agree that Bach needs to avoid silly fouls and if he does he could/should be a 25-30 mpg guy for us. I expect him to have a big year.
    I think Kuzma will be a matchup nightmare wherever he plays. I have heard great things about Wright as well.

On this year's team, minutes are going to be at a premium. As Herb Brooks said in "Miracle"......."Give me 99%, and you'll make my job a lot easier." I feel bad that at least one and likely two deserving players will be out of the rotation simply becuase of a numbers crunch. But, it is a nice problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Great point, I hadn't thought of that before. Usually a very tough place to play, but with the 1pm start time it definitely won't be the atmosphere it normally is. Still will be a very tough game.

I would imagine we start the year not ranked, but among "others receiving votes". If we win that game we'll jump into the top 25. That would in turn set up a 6-0 and most likely top 20 Utah team hosting a potential top 10 Wichita State team on December 3rd. How sweet would that be?
    Oh man, that would be awesome!!

I am probably in the minority here, but I am again very bummed that the UCLA, Washington and Cal home games will be on Sunday. I guess I will have some tickets to sell.