Thread: Bravo UofU!

Hybrid View

How "flashing the U" became an iconic, unifying symbol.

https://continuum.utah.edu/features/...sh-in-the-pan/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

U Health ranked 6th among 107 academic medical systems........

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...y-of-care.html
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Ben Shapiro. Would be an interesting event to attend tonight......

http://www.yaf.org/events/ben-shapiro-university-utah/
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Ben Shapiro. Would be an interesting event to attend tonight......

http://www.yaf.org/events/ben-shapiro-university-utah/
    He is a mainstream conservative, right off the pages of National Review. He's farther to the right than I am but all the talk about him being a white supremacist is beyond absurd.

Here's a letter to the Trib about this:

Why we intend to shut down Ben Shapiro

We have no shame in saying that we intend to shut down Ben Shapiro. This is not a decision we came to based on youthful emotions, or out of some desire for the world to be “one big safe space.” This decision was arrived at based on a real, material understanding of the political environment of Utah, and the material effects of an emboldened far right.

As an example; Utah is already a state with a homelessness and suicide crisis amongst LGBTQ youth. Ben Shapiro has openly called transgender people mentally ill. He portrays the gay rights movement as a conspiracy to “root out god-based institutions.” He has recently defended conversion therapy, which is nothing short of abuse.

These are all positions he has stated in naked terms in articles he has written himself. To pretend that Shapiro does not spew racist and transphobic pseudoscience with the desire to justify and encourage violence is idealistic, ahistorical and wrong.

We intend on shutting down Ben Shapiro precisely because we don’t live in a fantasy world where hate speech has no consequences. We believe his hate speech can and will have material consequences for vulnerable people. This will not be a violent protest, but we intend to exercise our free speech in the boldest and most unapologetic way we can, even if Shapiro, his fans, and the University police would have it otherwise.

Ian Decker
    Adorable. It's sophomoric, embarrassing anti-intellectual nonsense, but it's adorable.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He is a mainstream conservative, right off the pages of National Review. He's farther to the right than I am but all the talk about him being a white supremacist is beyond absurd.

Here's a letter to the Trib about this:

Why we intend to shut down Ben Shapiro

Adorable. It's sophomoric, embarrassing anti-intellectual nonsense, but it's adorable.

I agree with you LA. Him speaking at the U about politics is not that far different from you speaking at the U. And that's more shocking and troubling than anything else.

However, I unfollowed him on twitter because he has a horrible habit of retweeting things from idiots and then tearing their statements apart. I don't need (or want) him to bring idiots into my life and he is purposely trying to get me enraged with statements from idiots which insults me.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 09-27-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    However, I unfollowed him on twitter because he has a horrible habit of retweeting things from idiots and then tearing their statements apart. I don't need (or want) him to bring idiots into my life and he is purposely trying to get me enraged with statements from idiots which insults me.
    That's his problem. He wants clicks and retweets all that comes with them. I suspect he's happy about all the attention he's generating.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I agree with you LA. Him speaking at the U about politics is not that far different from you speaking at the U. And that's more shocking and troubling than anything else.

You can be assured that I’d protest the hell out of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    You can be assured that I’d protest the hell out of that.
    Security would be following you everywhere.

--Yeats

E-mail received a few minutes ago from Mark Harlan:

Dear Ute Nation:

As the calendar has now turned to 2020 and as we enter the second half of this school year, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the incredible success the Utes are experiencing in competition and in the classroom. It’s an exciting time to be a Ute, and this is an opportunity to pause and appreciate what is happening at the University of Utah, particularly in Athletics.

I’m extremely proud of the performance by our athletics programs thus far in 2019-20. They have set the bar high and continue to contribute to a championship culture that elevates expectations for the entire department.

Each of our fall sports programs received NCAA postseason or bowl game invitations, and one, Volleyball, finished in the Top 10 in the nation.

• Volleyball: Pac-12 Coach of the Year Beth Launiere’s team reached the NCAA Sweet Sixteen and finished 9th in the final AVCA rankings, the highest finish in program history.
    • Football: Pac-12 Coach of the Year and Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year Kyle Whittingham’s team won the Pac-12 South for the second year in a row, won 11 games, and played in the Alamo Bowl, one of the top Pac-12 Bowl partners.
    • Soccer: Coach Rich Manning’s squad qualified for the NCAA Division I Soccer Championships.
    • Cross-Country: Coach Kyle Kepler’s team qualified for the NCAA championship meet and placed 16th, the highest finish in program history, after placing fifth at the NCAA Mountain Regional.

Utah is one of just nine athletics programs in the nation—and one of two in the Pac-12—to have teams in all four of these sports reach the NCAA postseason or a bowl game. The Utes closed the 2019 fall season ranked 25th nationally in the Learfield Cup Fall standings that recognizes overall department competitive success. An astounding 26 student-athletes across the four sports earned All-Pac-12 recognition and 11 earned All-America consideration. Beyond the unprecedented success on the field, 45 student-athletes were named to the fall Pac-12 Academic Honor Roll and Utah Athletics produced a 94-percent figure in the most recent NCAA Graduation Success Rate report.

We all are extremely proud of these accomplishments. It’s important that we take time to celebrate and to acknowledge the people and the hard work that goes into success.

As always, it starts with our people: high-achieving student-athletes, elite level coaches and extraordinary staff working together every day. However, credit also goes to those who support our programs in every way, which enable us to deliver a world-class experience for our student-athletes. This would not be possible without you, and we will continue to thrive when we combine all of those elements into our plan for future achievements and growth.

The future is exceptionally bright for Utah Athletics and we look towards exciting new memories in 2020. We will continue to update you on the many happenings here, including the start of construction of the Ken Garff Performance Zone at Rice-Eccles Stadium this month, along with many other exciting projects ahead. Thank you all for being a part of the Utah Family.

Happy New Year!
    Mark Harlan

--Yeats